Jump to content
Tabula Rasa

Rovers vs Reading at Virtual Ewood

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

For starters he is going to have to strengthen back muscles for frequent picking ball out of net (based on Tuesday).

Possibly adapting to sweeper keeper (which is part of new approach). Understanding how poor our defenders are ie don't assume Douglas will let ball come through to you - need to consider he may back heel and adjust position accordingly ūüėȬ†

You have a point but he has been playing at Middlesbrough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

For starters he is going to have to strengthen back muscles for frequent picking ball out of net (based on Tuesday).

Possibly adapting to sweeper keeper (which is part of new approach). Understanding how poor our defenders are ie don't assume Douglas will let ball come through to you - need to consider he may back heel and adjust position accordingly ūüėȬ†

I don't think the ball Douglas made a cock up of could be considered a ball that the goalkeeper should have come out for. If he stays back in goal the chances are we wouldn't have conceded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

Just read that Mowbray has stated it will take time for Pears to adjust.

FFS he’s a goalkeeper, what is there to adjust to?  Goals have always been 8yds x 8ft, penalty spot 12yds penalty area 18yds and goal area 6yds. As he has been a keeper throughout his life, what the hell does he need to adjust to?  Just asking.

It is the bit where the keeper plays sweeper on the half way line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think the ball Douglas made a cock up of could be considered a ball that the goalkeeper should have come out for. If he stays back in goal the chances are we wouldn't have conceded. 

For one - he would have been 1 on 1 with their forward - so still likely to concede. Also - how many times have we critised keepers for staying on their line - in this case it would have been a straightforward collection by the keeper if not for Douglas's heel.

I am not certain what is going on - but Pears seems to be getting a lot of stick from some on this MB - though we let in 4, not really certain what he could have done (also no one seems to mention his unbelievable reaction save from Williams).

Give the lad a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

For one - he would have been 1 on 1 with their forward - so still likely to concede. Also - how many times have we critised keepers for staying on their line - in this case it would have been a straightforward collection by the keeper if not for Douglas's heel.

I am not certain what is going on - but Pears seems to be getting a lot of stick from some on this MB - though we let in 4, not really certain what he could have done (also no one seems to mention his unbelievable reaction save from Williams).

Give the lad a chance.

The ball was going away from goal, not into a danger area. If everybody had have left it the ball would have ended up out by the corner flag. He was probably anxious to get into the game but that was a real mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think the ball Douglas made a cock up of could be considered a ball that the goalkeeper should have come out for. If he stays back in goal the chances are we wouldn't have conceded. 

If he'd shouted 'keepers ball' in a loud authoritative voice, Douglas should have just left it and Pears pick the ball up. If he didn't it was Douglas' fault for not defending properly and hoofing it clear, if he did it was still Douglas' fault for ignoring the call.

Pears didn't instil me with confidence afterwards but you can't pin the blame for the way we didn't defend as a team on him. We defended woefully, collectively as a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see anyone discussing the comical last gasp dive by Del to stop their forward, so I may aswell.

 A defender worth his salt would have just stxuk with him and made it difficult....Del just spazzed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The ball was going away from goal, not into a danger area. If everybody had have left it the ball would have ended up out by the corner flag. He was probably anxious to get into the game but that was a real mistake.

I suggest you watch the highlights on sky - it was going nowhere near the corner flag. 

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I can't see anyone discussing the comical last gasp dive by Del to stop their forward, so I may aswell.

 A defender worth his salt would have just stxuk with him and made it difficult....Del just spazzed out.

Oh I saw it. Was a laughable attempt and must have been a millimetre or two away from sending us down to ten men. What on Earth was he thinking?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think his intention originally was to completely come off his feet with a huge slide in which would give away a penalty and potentially get himself sent off. 

I think he changed his mind mid lunge fearing the red card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

I think his intention originally was to completely come off his feet with a huge slide in which would give away a penalty and potentially get himself sent off. 

I think he changed his mind mid lunge fearing the red card.

Choice between a bad tackle or no tackle at all (and a goal). We are so lucky to have him in the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coventry just beat reading comfortably tonight who we put 4 past. Crazy old division!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally steeled myself to look at the stats.

Possession 66-34

Attempts 13-5

Shots on 6-4

Corners 3-3

All 4 of their shots resulted in goals and 3.5 of them were defensive mistake gifts (counting the second as half a mistake leaving the guy in time and space on the edge of our area- the other half was a sensationally accurate and powerful strike). 

Yes Reading were the better side on the night but we still gifted them their win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems Mowbray is so blind to it he's now rating the cock ups out of 10.

Del's was a 5 he just misjudged it but Barry's was only a 3 because it clipped his heel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Seems Mowbray is so blind to it he's now rating the cock ups out of 10.

Del's was a 5 he just misjudged it but Barry's was only a 3 because it clipped his heel. 

Funny how Darragh didn’t get a mention. The new captain marvel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.