• Simon Barker
    • Eddie Latheron
    • Harry Healess
    • Eddie Quigley

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like WG Grace facing Steve Harmison.

He'd get his cap knocked off, but who would you vote for as the better batsman ? WG Grace or Michael Vaughan ?

Who would you say would go down in history as "great" though? Vaughan or W.G?

Edited by den

I can't be sure about the same for someone who I can read nothing about other than he played in 5 cup winning sides when few teams even played the game. I've voted for Clayton and i'd vote for any other player who I knew enough about or could find enough about to consider but i'm not going to change my opinion to suit others.

You're entitled to your opinion. It's just that in this case your opinion is blinkered and wrong.

He'd get his cap knocked off, but who would you vote for as the better batsman ? WG Grace or Michael Vaughan ?

I'd say Grace Den (not of the prayers variety). However this kind of backs up my point as you go to work tomorrow or anywhere and ask 100 people who WG Grace was and then ask the same 100 who Jimmy Forrest was and what do you think would be the outcome.

This is the crux of the discussion.

I think we all agree Sherwood is the better footballer but who is the 'Great' we seek. ?

I stand by my decision to vote Sherwood because I think captaining that team and running the engine of a modern day Premiership winning side is a feat that needs recognition.

I also thought his after match interviews were cool wink.gif

I can't be sure about the same for someone who I can read nothing about other than he played in 5 cup winning sides when few teams even played the game.  I've voted for Clayton and i'd vote for any other player who I knew enough about or could find enough about to consider but i'm not going to change my opinion to suit others.

You're entitled to your opinion. It's just that in this case your opinion is blinkered and wrong.

Nonsense once more. I may well be wrong but i'm not blinkered. If I refused to even read the posts and views of others then I would be blinkered, as it happens I just choose to disagree with some and that is entirely different.

I can't be sure about the same for someone who I can read nothing about other than he played in 5 cup winning sides when few teams even played the game.  I've voted for Clayton and i'd vote for any other player who I knew enough about or could find enough about to consider but i'm not going to change my opinion to suit others.

Nonsense once more. I may well be wrong but i'm not blinkered. If I refused to even read the posts and views of others then I would be blinkered, as it happens I just choose to disagree with some and that is entirely different.

You can make whatever argument you want. If you think Sherwood is a Rovers great then you're opinion is just blinkered and wrong.

I stand by my decision to vote Sherwood because I think captaining that team and running the engine of a modern day Premiership winning side is a feat that needs recognition.

A lot more men have done that than win 5 FA Cup medals.

A lot more men have done that than win 5 FA Cup medals.

I'm sorry but FA Cup medals won in the days players wore sleeping caps on team photos means very little to me.

Goalkeepers conceding goals with their backs turned to the play whilst they light a cigar, etc etc

Yes it's part of our history but the quality of football in those days was Sunday League

Darwen beat Aston Villa 5-1 in the 5th round one year !

Where's my Golden helmet !?

How do you define greatness?

Is it in terms of a player's ability? In that case, how can Sherwood be considered "great" when he wasn't as good a player as Batty?

Is it in terms of the contribution they made to the club, regardless of ability? In that case, I'd say there were many midfielders more worthy of "greatness" than Sherwood. Players like Atkins, Parkes and Metcalfe all probably contributed more to their respective Rovers teams than Sherwood did to his.

Is it in terms of trophies won? Forrest wins that one hands down then.

I honestly don't know how anyone can truthfully call Sherwood a Rovers great.

You can make whatever argument you want. If you think Sherwood is a Rovers great then you're opinion is just blinkered and wrong.

I'm sorry in that case I seem to have completely missed the whole point of this topic as I voted for the person in the above list who I thought was best based on a number of criteria, I didn't say Sherwood was great. By your logic no-one can vote for Garner as that would be blinkered because despite his goals he could never ever be termed a 'great' player.

You can make whatever argument you want.  If you think Sherwood is a Rovers great then you're opinion is just blinkered and wrong.

I'm sorry in that case I seem to have completely missed the whole point of this topic as I voted for the person in the above list who I thought was best based on a number of criteria, I didn't say Sherwood was great. By your logic no-one can vote for Garner as that would be blinkered because despite his goals he could never ever be termed a 'great' player.

See my post above. We'll leave the Garner arguments until it's time for the forwards vote eh.

Ooooh, cat fight, scratch scratch scratch.

Apart from two posters who are deliberatley starting a mock fight (and who should be ashamed of themselves) the rest of you are just bleating like little children.

Cst your vote & then STFU.

So says Colin as his Super Atko campaign goes down the drain.

It's a shame Sellars won't get in because of the Irish Wizard.

It's a shame Duff won't get in because of Dave Wagstaffe or Mike Harrison.

Both were better than him.

Just another reason why people will vote Sherwood...how can they take your Forrest v Sherwood claims seriously now?

Edit: Back on the centre midfielder topic, I actually feel guilty that I didn't vote Latheron as I now feel he should be in there upon further reflection...however I think Sherwood should be ahead of Forrest so I feel quite happy with my vote in that sense.

Edited by LeChuck

Some of the petty arguments and bitching on here are excellent to read. Keep it up guys!!! laugh.gif

Den - If I were you I'd consider maybe having another vote if the numbers are so close, maybe of just the four of five nominees who have so far got (or will make it to) votes numbering in the double figures. If either Forrest or Sherwood get in (and I'm one of the few on here who doesn't mind either way!) it should be more than just by one or two votes. This is the closest vote yet, if either pulls a bit ahead by the time the vote is closed then they of course should go in. If it is really very close maybe we should have extra time. Best to make the decision now as to how many votes ahead the player would have to be. If there is only about two or three votes I think we should keep it open until there is a clear winner. This vote has created enough disagreement so let's make sure we end with a clear winner and not a result that could have been turned around if the vote was left open for another twenty minutes or so.

I would support that idea from FLB. The combined votes for the nine candidates currently placed 3rd and downwards currently excedes the vote of either of the front runners.

The current outcome would not have been predicted from the first vote which Clayton won so easilly so who knows what would happen in a run off with the other nine names eliminated?

It's a shame Sellars won't get in because of the Irish Wizard.

It's a shame Duff won't get in because of Dave Wagstaffe or Mike Harrison.

Both were better than him.

Just another reason why people will vote Sherwood...how can they take your Forrest v Sherwood claims seriously now?

Why so ?

I'll wager you've never heard of Wagstaffe or Harrison, let alone see them play.

For your information, I voted for Latheron because he is the best Rovers midfield player (in modern parlance) that I have seen (better than dear old Ronnie too).

I would however be happy for Forrest, another top-class player, to be in the team. Sherwood was a good player but a pygmy in comparison with the other two.

I voted Sherwood right back at the start, I just can't believe the way people on here are slating others for doing so. Unless some of you have forgotten this is a vote, people are entitled to vote for whover they want to. I have read all of the players biographys that people have kindly posted and I have made my decision. I like others do not feel that I should be berated for making a decision.

Sherwood was an average player in a very good team. Would we have won the title without him? Most probably.

Would we have won 5 FA Cups without Forrest? No chance.

It's heartening to see such a healthy debate given that the next three positions will effectively be uncontested. It's the only position left to actually get uptight about!

I voted Sherwood right back at the start, I just can't believe the way people on here are slating others for doing so. Unless some of you have forgotten this is a vote, people are entitled to vote for whover they want to. I have read all of the players biographys that people have kindly posted and I have made my decision. I like others do not feel that I should be berated for making a decision.

You're only sore because you know you've made the wrong choice. wink.gif

Perhaps there's too many options in the vote?

Realistically, Batty, Atkins, Parkes, Kendal, Metcalfe, Barker and Quigley had not a hope of winning but between them they have polled 38 votes. 18 were for Batty and Atkins, votes which probably would've gone to Sherwood. I'm guessing a large majority of the remainder would've gone to Forrest.

Which means it would still be neck and neck! Doh!

I think CheshireBlue's doing his usual wind-up act. I'm sorry, but I thought Batty was a terrible ball-player. A good thug to have in midfield, but could only pass it backwards or sideways. Sherwood on the other hand, believe it or not, was actually quite a decent player. He scored some cracking goals. One against Sheffield Wednesday was an absolute screamer. I do remember Batty scoring a screamer once as well, but it was very much out of character for him.

But not worthy of inclusion into our greatest-ever team.

I would support that idea from FLB. The combined votes for the nine candidates currently placed 3rd and downwards currently excedes the vote of either of the front runners.

The current outcome would not have been predicted from the first vote which Clayton won so easilly so who knows what would happen in a run off with the other nine names eliminated?

ahem

i think the idea for a run off vote was suggested a couple of days ago

rather spookily, by two people at the same time

see these posts from bob fleming and myself

seems it is gathering support