BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Good Tactics

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, each persons tactics are different depending on the players they have bought.

Personally, I go for the real Madrid option e.g. crap defenders and the rest of the team (including goalie) are ace - although mceverly and neil do a great job and upson on a free and a bloke called van den bore are ace too.

4-4-2 or 3-4-3 is what I always use and it never seems to fail

I go with decent, but not spectacular defenders (and Jay is awesome for me, too), a VERY solid defensive midfielder with a solid backup and then load up on attacking midfielders and get a few good strikers. The 4-4-2 diamond attacking has worked well for me.

Yeh I have a good 4-4-2 diamond, where wingers and wingbacks push forward at any opportunity and the defensive midfielder man marks.

I find you always need good wingers, if you have high quality wingers there is always goals a plenty

Make sure you go into editor and give Todd 10,000 in fan's confidence, make him captain and you will get a lot of use out of him at the back

I tried loads of different tactics before switching back to a simple 4-4-2. All defenders on man marking, good wingers and a strong midfield are key aspects. Wingers on short forward runs and a mixture of crosses.

Found that most strikers work well in this formation, so I've only brought in Carlos Ruiz from MLS.

---------------------Friedel----------------------

Neill----Vanden Borre---Henchoz----Gresko

Thompson---Guarin----Parker-----Pedersen

--------------Stead-------Derbyshire-----------

Unfortunately Thompson didn't want a new contract, so I sold him to Chelsea for £8.75, brought in Andy Reid, Ritchie Partridge and a couple of other defenders. rover.gif

I've found after testing various tactics that a 4-5-1 is the best option.

I've made my 4-5-1 a counter attacking tactic which in affect works as a 4-3-3 in attack, with my wingers making long runs to support the lone striker. Of course, this works best with quick players up front but it's very solid in defence and so far I've found that this is what works best.

I always play a narrow formation with short passing and high tempo.

If I've gone behind and really need goals, the 4-5-1 is easy to adjust to a 4-1-3-2, which is something I'll do if I've had a very poor first half or if I need goals from the 60th minute or so.

Ive always found the key to success is the full backs. You need to know who your up against mind, for example if your playing chelski you want them stuck at the back with the wingers running back. When playing someone like, say , villa ill let them forward slightly. If im playing no hopers ill have them as wingbacks.

Make sure you go into editor and give Todd 10,000 in fan's confidence, make him captain and you will get a lot of use out of him at the back

So your saying that your tactic is to cheat unsure.gif

laugh.gif No not at all, if you don't do it he starts in the reserves and is transfer listed

It gives the game a more realistic feel with him being happy and us with him

Edited by neekoy

• 1 month later...

since my pc is formatted and last time I played FM was like 1 month ago I forgot my tactic but I thought it was 4-2-3-1 Attacking

was with it number 5 in the first season, signed Oliseh, Kaluzny, Vanden Borre, Lozano, Stuart, Tsiartas

I decided on a recent change in my away tactic and took a leaf out of Liverpool's book for midfield.

------------------------Reising--------------

Glen Johnson---Vanden Borre---Billy Jones---Stephen Crainey

------------------Freddy Guarin-----Joey Barton--------------------

-----------------------Scott Parker-------------------------------

Jon Greening-----------------------------Morten Gamst Pedersen

-----------------------Ates Necati--------------------

Counter attacking, the two defensive midfielders stay back and win the ball, whilst Parker sits in the Gerrard role in the centre linking the play. Wide men to run forward with the ball and play it down the flanks.

The defence becomes very hard to break down, but you need a good striker to take your chances. (Necati scored 34 for me last season)

Edited by RoverinBath

Usually use 4-4-2 counter attack and offside trap.

Iam currentlyat Ipswich in the Championship and they were 21st when I took over and I adopted a Hughes 4-5-1 formation which started grinding out results and I have now moved upto 11th

I seem to of got a tactic that works. I was at 1st the barcaleno manager, after two seasons my reputation was world class. I then left to take up a job at newcastle and half way through my 1st season there i got offered the england Job.

So far out of 169 games in total in all competitions with all teams, iv only lost 19.

I play a counter attack, play offsides and iv got it so that all the team closes down and tackles hard.

I play a 3-1-4-2 formation and it seems to work with all players. Iv also got a few arrows pointing players to run in certain places.

So far iv won the league two times in a row with Barcalona, and a cup. In the 1st season in the league i scored 105, conceded 25. 2nd season i scored 111 goals and conceded 19.

Then went to Newcastle and finished 4th in my 1st season. Ended my 1st season as 2nd top scorers with 80 goals. Now im getting ready for my 2nd season in charge.

With England iv played 4, won 4, Scored 22, conceded 1

I seem to of got a tactic that works. I was at 1st the barcaleno manager, after two seasons my reputation was world class. I then left to take up a job at newcastle and half way through my 1st season there i got offered the england Job.

So far out of 169 games in total in all competitions with all teams, iv only lost 19.

I play a counter attack, play offsides and iv got it so that all the team closes down and tackles hard.

I play a 3-1-4-2 formation and it seems to work with all players. Iv also got a few arrows pointing players to run in certain places.

So far iv won the league two times in a row with Barcalona, and a cup. In the 1st season in the league i scored 105, conceded 25. 2nd season i scored 111 goals and conceded 19.

Then went to Newcastle and finished 4th in my 1st season. Ended my 1st season as 2nd top scorers with 80 goals. Now im getting ready for my 2nd season in charge.

With England iv played 4, won 4, Scored 22, conceded 1

Can you please send me your tactic please, this sounds good

What is it you want to know?

You play a 3-1-4-2 formation.

Play with 3 centre backs - The middle one having an arrow to order the centre defender to go back to cover almost a sweeper position.

Then 4 midfielders.

The left hand side of the centre with an arrow running into a position just behind the two strikers.

The right of centre midfield having an arrow going to where the other midfield centre player is positioned. The wingers are just as they are. No arrows on them

With the two forwards – The left hand forward has an arrow coming straight back into an attacking midfield role. The right striker is just left how he is.

You then set your team up to play an attacking mentality, strong defending, closing down always and also play the offside and the counter attack. Anything else you want to know?

I have sign Kapo on my left wing from Juventus and he is devastating on the break. Signed him for £4.7 million, he is now worth £14m, however I have a price tag of £24million on him and Man U, Chelsea and FC Bayern are all interested in him.

In my 2nd season as Newcastle boss now. In the summer I signed Torres, Basturk, Yobo and Youla all on free transfers. There combined value is £70 million.

I will give it a crack tonight, it is so bloody hard to get a good tactic to last you the season

My favourite was to use a four four two attacking diamond and I was killing it, then running into the last 15 games I couldn't take a trick and couldn't win a game to save my life mad.gif

I will give yours a burl and see if I can get a consistent season

In the summer I signed Torres, Basturk, Yobo and Youla all on free transfers. There combined value is £70 million.

That's the only thing that spoils the game for me, completely defeats the point of making the rest of the game realistic.

My formation is nothing spectacular but works great, solid centre backs with full backs who's primary objective is to defend. A defensive midfielder with the arrow pointing diagnolly backwards into the Makelele position and an athletic player alongside him who can go forward. One of the wide players is usually a winger type whereas the other is more solid but still contributes going forward. One of the two strikers is a support type and has his arrow going backward, the other has to be good in the air and strong as sometimes I adopt a 4-5-1 against good teams.

Rustu

Neill Nelsen Hubschman McEveley

Emerton Savage Mokoena Pedersen

Cavenaghi Bellamy

That's how I'm lining up at the moment in most games...the tempo is quick, closing down is frequent and the rest is based on opposition. If it's a 4-5-1 then it's like:

Rustu

Neill Nelsen Hubschman McEveley

Bellamy Savage Reid Mokoena Pedersen

Cavenaghi

Savage and Mokoena have their arrows going backward and the other 3 midfielders have their's going forward. The closing down is average with instructions to counter attack making use of a target man.

I am now in season 2009. I win the Prem every year with ease and at least one other cup. I get 70m each year to spend (but never need to spend it because all my youngsters are ace)

My tactics are to goto the customize search at the begining of each year and enter a load of high numbers - 15 for shooting, heading, pace, strength - if your looking for a striker and put the age of under 26. Loads come back with people you have never heard of and most of the time are free or have a buy out clause. Never listen to your scout or coach because most of the time they will say that the player isnt good enough. Soon you will have a team of players worth 15m and over and they will be on about 20k a week because you tied them up for ages.

My system is a simple 4-4-2 (unless I have run out of defenders through injury and then I play 3-4-3)

I am getting bored now and may start again with a rubbish team and see how that goes.

I will give it a crack tonight, it is so bloody hard to get a good tactic to last you the season

My favourite was to use a four four two attacking diamond and I was killing it, then running into the last 15 games I couldn't take a trick and couldn't win a game to save my life mad.gif

I will give yours a burl and see if I can get a consistent season

Remembered a few other things about the tactics too. Play a mixed type of passing, with a fairly quick tempo.

Also the player in the mokoena type role has an arrow sending him back to centre defence position.

Hughsey I am struggling with the tactic mate.

Am playing with Aston Villa and fought relegation last year and am on the bottom of the table this year. I have tried tweaking but nothing appears to be working.

Thanks anyway mate, I just think I am sh*t

Heres my rovers team with tactic, beat chelsea and have been in great form since using it. Use the default setups for players, ie click onm the player and select their pre-set at the bottom of the box that appears:

Friedel

Neill ---- Mceverly ----- Costancurta (1988-2004 ac milan) ---- Matteo

------------------Ferguson--------------------------

Reid ------------------------------------------ De Pedro

-------- Pedersen ----- Emerton--------------

------------------ Crespo -----------------------

Sorry for the dodgy formatting. Ferguson, Neill, Matteo, reid and de pedro should have arrows pointing at the opposition. Use defence deep, play offside and counter attack. Take away pedersen or emerton and have 5 at the back for away games. Also use Sakali on bench, his amazing!

Edited by promoted2001

Continued from page 1...

In my 2nd season in charge of Newcastle i won the league by 4 points from Man U, lost the Champions league final 1-0 to Man U and also got to the semi finals in both domestic cup comps.

Newcastle team is as follows

Given

Yobo - Aaron Hughes - Steven Hughes

Rochemback

Sneider - Basturk - Milner - Kapo

Torres - Pazzini

Subs - Costa (GK)

S Youla

Tim Janssen

M Diarra

Van Borre or something like that (Belgium defender)

My reputation is still world class. I am still manager of england, now in the quarter final of the European Championships. England havent lost a game for 26 games and we have won 8 on the trot

Edited by Hughesy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.