BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How About A Thread On Ryan Nelsen?

I think I have found the first Kiwi I liked

What about Russell Crowe?

Anyway two thumbs up for Nelsen.. Really happy to see Rovers stronger at the back... now for a striker

Although this is drifting off topic, any news on the Canadian, De Rosario's, trial?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about exciting. Hughes will have to find a few more cut-price gems in the summer for me to get excited.

A few more flair players and Rovers might start playing exciting football...but I'm not complaining because our defence is now solid and that should be enough to keep us up this season - which was Hughes' prime objective when he came in.

This is not the transfer topic thread... but it seems the right place for it as it's a response to Rover6's request for more flair:

Cesar Delgado- left winger cum striker. inexplicably sold to Mexican Cruz Azul last year has really taken off regardless of the poor play in Mexico [or maybe because of it... ]. He figured prominently in Bielsa's Olympic campaign and current WCQ runup...

Great on the ball, cheeky, loves to take people on, great passer of the ball... all his assists are within the six yard box-(hilights his reduced space skills and vision). very pacy, and as you can imagine- loves to get stuck in!

Young man, too, I don't think he's past 24 yet.

Edited by blue/white

It's not an insult to the league or the player to say it's amazing how well he's done considering he has come from the MLS. The league is of a different style and a much lower quality, how quickly he's adapted and slotted in is remarkable. Though I have to say, I didn't notice that many people knocking Nelsen when he signed, just the usual amount for any transfer, no matter how good. I just think it didn't really get anyone excited as most had never heard of him.

Just to tag along with jkritchey, MLS has some sides that play really well, and others who dont, just like any league in the world. The MLS sides have a wide variety of styles, some play with a Latin American flair (lots of ball control, short passes), and other play a more direct Euro style (faster pace, longer balls upfield). Some like to attack, attack, attack, others like to defend and counter. So you can't really say that MLS has a "style" since all the teams play so differently.

To use Nelsen's prior team as an example, on DC United there were hard-working, lunch-pail, tough guys who ran their arse off during the course of a game, like Nelsen, Ben Olsen (played with Nottingham Forest a few years back before an ankle injury sidelined him for 2+yrs), Josh Gros (you'll be hearing about him soon enough with the US team), Brian Namoff (who Nelsen said was the best defender on the team), and Dema Kovalenko. They were mixed with guys who will make your head spin with ball skills like Jaime Moreno (spent time with Middlesborough a few years ago), young phenom Freddy Adu, and to a lesser extent Alecko Eskandarian (also future US team).

Nelsen was one of the top players in MLS last season. He was recognized as an MLS Best XI, as was Carlos Bocanegra the year before who is having a decent run for Fulham (playing out of position, since he is also naturally a center-half), as was Demarcus Beasley playing now for PSV Eindhoven, and Landon Donovan working his way into Bayer Leverkuesen's starting eleven.

My point is that while on the whole, MLS cannot compare to the EPL, there are players here who can do very well in your league. There are other Ryan Nelsens, and Bocanegras, and Donovans in this league waiting to be discovered. I think any EPL team could do worse than look here for inexpensive (compared to other leagues) talent, and no one should be surprised when they do well...

Isn't that basically exactly what I said?

"Certain people" on here seems to be imaging that us Euros despise everything to do with the MLS or American players etc, and go on about how right they were and that we're all "eating humble pie"... now I haven't checked the transfer threads for a while, but I can't remember a great deal of "He sucks cuz he's in the MLS" or any of that. Or at least not any more of that than similar comments about Norway before Pedersen signed.

I really don't get why many Americans seems to be so offended by someone stating that the MLS is a few notches below the EPL or Serie A. It IS, plain and simple. It's not intended as an insult.

People simply say, and rightly so, that it's always a bit of a risk signing players without PL experience. That's true even for players who have done well in Spain, Italy or Germany (And the other way around for those leagues too ofcourse). No need to take offense...

People simply say, and rightly so, that it's always a bit of a risk signing players without PL experience. That's true even for players who have done well in Spain, Italy or Germany (And the other way around for those leagues too ofcourse). No need to take offense...

This I agree with.....cheers biggrin.gif

"Certain people" on here seems to be imaging that us Euros despise everything to do with the MLS or American players etc, and go on about how right they were and that we're all "eating humble pie"... now I haven't checked the transfer threads for a while, but I can't remember a great deal of "He sucks cuz he's in the MLS" or any of that. Or at least not any more of that than similar comments about Norway before Pedersen signed.

I really don't get why many Americans seems to be so offended by someone stating that the MLS is a few notches below the EPL or Serie A. It IS, plain and simple. It's not intended as an insult.

Agreed that we get a bit defensive. It's probably because we've been too long in the struggle in our own country to bring acceptance of the game. We've supported the growth of youth leagues, our own professional leagues, and have pushed the acknowledgement of soccer's existence by our sports media.

Additionally, we've also learned to defend against European expats and our own countrymen who look down on MLS while comparing it to the European leagues.

None of us would claim that we're at par with the Premiership or Serie A (some might amend that to say not on par with the top half of the tables). But there is this learned reaction that comes from having been in this battle for the sport for so long.

Think what it would be like to live in a country where football was seen as a minor sport, not a natural sport for citizens to be playing. It's even been called 'unAmerican' in the media. That's what the fight has been about.

We are, by the way, winning biggrin.gif

In the meantime, we can also love our Premiership team. Go Rovers!! rover.gif

Edited by seahawkdad

Don't know about exciting. Hughes will have to find a few more cut-price gems in the summer for me to get excited.

Reid I'm quite happy with, Stead is worth keeping for at least another season, Jansen is an enigma, but I can't see him staying past May and Thompson is trying too hard, but does have teh talent.

Other than that lot, there's a lot fo dead wood about.

Well I'm excited!

We have all seen what Stead (last season), Reid (very briefly), Thompson (pre-injuries) and Jansen (fleeting glimpses post-Rome) can do at their best. All four have it in them to be top performers in the Premiership.

With MGP and Nelsen having pushed past previous first team certainties to nail their names in the starting XI, the challenge and example is there for that quartet to do the same when fitness and opportunity comes along.

Nelsen is a simply awesome addition.

Interesting points those. I think it really does look like there will be a massive clearout in the summer.

Defo out the door (if we can shift them) are:

Bothroyd (Hughes only uses him cause everyone else is awful), Gray, Amo, Tugay (retired), Jansen (cannot see him getting a contract extension), Short (retired), Douglas

Players I can see Hughes letting go:

Stead (on loan probaby, Sparky not a fan), Thompson (if a decent offer comes in, again sparky not too keen), Johansson, Emerton (really think he might play his way out of the door now, I can see him being dropped in the next couple of weeks and him just fading away)

That leaves us with a pretty minimal squad:

Freidal, Enckleman, Moko, Todd, The Admiral, Matteo (I think he should go but Sparky seems to like him), Niell, Gresko (Hughes might give him a chance as he has not seen him yet), Pedersen, Savage, Reid, Flitcroft (see Matteo), Dickov, Gallagher, McEveley, Johnson.

Even if Emerton and Thompson stay, which is very possible I admit, that is a squad of only 18, six of whichare a bit dodgy/unproven to say the least (Matteo, Gallagher, Johnson, McEveley, Flitcroft, Gresko). Niell and Dickov have their critics too..........

It will be a summer of wheeling and dealing t'be sure.

It's not an insult to the league or the player to say it's amazing how well he's done considering he has come from the MLS. The league is of a different style and a much lower quality, how quickly he's adapted and slotted in is remarkable. Though I have to say, I didn't notice that many people knocking Nelsen when he signed, just the usual amount for any transfer, no matter how good. I just think it didn't really get anyone excited as most had never heard of him.

.....So you can't really say that MLS has a "style" since all the teams play so differently.

My point is that while on the whole, MLS cannot compare to the EPL, there are players here who can do very well in your league. There are other Ryan Nelsens, and Bocanegras, and Donovans in this league waiting to be discovered. I think any EPL team could do worse than look here for inexpensive (compared to other leagues) talent, and no one should be surprised when they do well...

Isn't that basically exactly what I said?

I was slightly disagreeing with your "different style", partially agreeing with "lower quality" and then expanded a bit more on the subject. i apologize if I was a bit long winded....

I would put MLS more on par with the CCC, except not as physical. Most of us don't say we're on par as a league, or anything like that. What we say is that you can't just dismiss a player because he is in MLS. We have our good players, our crappy players and our underrated players like any other league. There are players who are local stars so to speak (though that is all relative) such as Taylor Twellman, who I wouldn't see succeeding overseas, but other unsung heroes such as Shalrie Joseph who I could see being not a star, but an important starter/squad player depending on where he went.

That being said, sometimes just because a player is English he is considered better than he actually is. If you asked me who to compare Twellman to, I'd say Andy Cole (the Cole of the past 2 years, not the good Cole). Great eye for goal, but a bit lazy in his play and needing great service to get the goals, unable to create many of his own chances. Some people here would love to see Cole back and would flip if we felt Twellman was the answer to our problems. Neither of them are.

That being said, sometimes just because a player is English he is considered better than he actually is. If you asked me who to compare Twellman to, I'd say Andy Cole (the Cole of the past 2 years, not the good Cole). Great eye for goal, but a bit lazy in his play and needing great service to get the goals, unable to create many of his own chances. Some people here would love to see Cole back and would flip if we felt Twellman was the answer to our problems. Neither of them are.

Um, if I was going to say one thing about Cole it would be he can create his own chances. He misses alot but he can sure create them. Look at him this season at Fulham!

We need a player like him at the moment IMHO. I dont miss him getting caught offside eight times a match however!

Englishmen overrate English players. Americans overrate American players. Swedes overrate Swedish players. Norwegians overrate Norwegian players (Apart from MGP ofcourse, he can't be overrated). That's just the way it is, and always will be.

P.S. I have made quite a few more Signature Banners like the one below if anyone wants one P.M. me with the player you want and I will E-Mail it to you.

do you think you could send me the pedersen 1. and also if you have a matt jansen 1 would you be able to send me that 1. if so would be much appretiated thanx.

imo nelson is this seasons stead. bargin of the transfer window looks like he will be a rock in our defence for years to come. he also has a fair bit of time on his side considering he is a centre back

The SP in The People is reporting that Ryan Nelson is concerned that after his year is up next january he will be unable to get a work permit. Nelson is quoted as saying "I have always had work permit issues because New Zealand are not in the top 70 (world ranking). It's stopped me moving in the past. The Government opened up a loophole where pro sportsmen within Commonwealth can get in (for a year). I don't know what will happen next time' Our ranking won't improve too much because we don't play much international football.

I can't find any links on the web and don't know when the quotes were made. They could have been just after he signed.

I'm pretty sure Rovers could pull a few strings to get round this but if they couldn't it would be a catastrophy after what the big man has shown on the pitch so far.

The SP in The People is reporting that Ryan Nelson is concerned that after his year is up next january he will be unable to get a work permit. Nelson is quoted as saying "I have always had work permit issues because New Zealand are not in the top 70 (world ranking). It's stopped me moving in the past. The Government opened up a loophole where pro sportsmen within Commonwealth can get in (for a year). I don't know what will happen next time' Our ranking won't improve too much because we don't play much international football.

I can't find any links on the web and don't know when the quotes were made. They could have been just after he signed.

I'm pretty sure Rovers could pull a few strings to get round this but if they couldn't it would be a catastrophy after what the big man has shown on the pitch so far.

I have never seen an established player been sent home due to work permit problems. It seems very much a situation of "when youre in youre in". I hope so anyway.

Didn't he sign a 18 month contract?

Wold be a gamble on Rovers part if he cold be sent home next January wouldn't it?

Besides, I don't think a work permit will be a problem, as joey_big_nose says, i think that when you are established you are in.

Didn't he sign a 18 month contract?

Wold be a gamble on Rovers part if he cold be sent home next January wouldn't it?

Besides, I don't think a work permit will be a problem, as joey_big_nose says, i think that when you are established you are in.

There are many options open to him visa-wise, now that he is in the UK... he wont go... wink.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.