BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

First central midfielder

toogs

Super Atko, never got the praise he deserved, always a consistent performer, always gave his all for the cause, what more could you ask?

BTW - no-one REALLY believes Atkins was one of our best ever midfielders, do they?

Two of us do.

So there. I'll persuade you later.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super Atko, never got the praise he deserved, always a consistent performer, always gave his all for the cause, what more could you ask?

BTW - no-one REALLY believes Atkins was one of our best ever midfielders, do they?

Two of us do.

So there. I'll persuade you later.

I had a feeling that was coming. biggrin.gif

Atkins was outstanding performer during our glory years (and just the sort of player we need at the moment). I'm tempted to give Sherwood the nod, but his loyalty never matched Atkins's. As for the other place, it has to be Batty; sheer class.

Edited by Rovermatt

Ronnie Clayton is such a Rovers legend that he really should be in. Leaving him out would be like leaving out Crompton, Douglas or Shearer.

As for the second position I can't really look past Sherwood. One of only two players to lead Rovers to become champions of England. The other player is already in (Crompton) and I think it would be a little unfair to leave out Sherwood. Although Batty was an excellent player he had less influence due to injuries and being here a shorter amount of time. Personally I always thought Sherwood was underrated as he was not such a big name as England international Batty. Sherwood did win some England caps (three I believe) but all with Tottenham.

'Timothy' was something of an unsung hero when with Rovers and the fans never seemed to take to him in quite the same way as they did to Batty, Ripley or Shearer. It was when he was out of the team that we realised just how vital a player he was for us. There has been some complaining from older members of this board about more recent players ludicrously challenging true greats from the past. Although I agree to an extant it can also go the other way. Memories of poor games dim and all that is remembered are the wonderful moments. Sherwood should be remembered as a great player for us. Reliable, consistent, a classy passer and a leader. The likes of Jim and the old giffers can tug themselves silly about their boyhood heroes if they want (which is fine) and denigrate the more recent players (which isn't quite so nice) but we should remember that the greatest Rovers team in living memory did not ply their trade in the sixties. Instead, the won the title in 1995.

One final thing - one of the greatest midfielders to play for Rovers should definitely not be included in this poll as he only made five games. It isn't that often you get a world cup winner in the blue and white halves (we only recently got our second) so maybe we should remember Osvaldo Ardiles. Not that he did anything for us...but great player nonetheless.

Ossie Ardiles

Tim Sherwood's career at Rovers could not have started any lower and could not have reached higher levels.

Kenny Dalglish signed Sherwood from Norwich's reserves, after an argument with the boss about how football should be played he was dumped into the second string.

He'd already represented England under 21's but his strong personality even at that early stage of his career saw him being allowed to leave and join the then 2nd Division Blackburn.

From day one at Blackburn he was up against it- he was a cockney with long hair called Timothy- and the Rovers fans did not take to him.

Dalglish tried to squeeze him into the side playing him right wing which was a mistake considering his distinct lack of pace.

Left out of the side he was not even on the bench for the Play Offs and seemed on his way out.

With promotion achieved, Sherwood was then restored to the side and adapted to Premiership football far easier than the Nationwide.

His ability to come deep for the ball, maintain posession and link defence with attack, and cover every blade of grass every game saw him slowly but surely win the fans over.

In my opinion he had a touch of class, matched with a fiery determination which was recognised by Dalglish when he made him Skipper.

Once captain of the side, the team and Sherwood never looked back.

Terry Venables once pointed out that Sherwood had the ability to release the ball quickly allowing his team-mate time on the ball, Dave Bassett labelled him the best 'nuts and bolts' midfielder in the country.

In 1994/95 he formed formidable partnerships with Mark Atkins and David Batty and at times carried the Rovers side through tough games.

Those that travelled away from home in the 94/95 season will have noticed Sherwood screaming at his players to lift them particularly after conceding goals in the midst of cauldron atmospheres. I thought Sherwood's captaincy throughout that season was a major factor in our success.

It's for this reason that I will vote for Tim Sherwood, not the greatest midfielder the club has ever had, but in recent times I feel the most important.

Sherwood went on to win England caps his career deserved after joining Spurs from Blackburn and I would suggest if business interests don't rule his future would make an excellent manager.

Tim Sherwood will always symbolise the greatest day of my life, Sherwood's hands were the first Blackburn hands to hold the Premiership Trophy and may well be the last for the long and distant future.

Vote Sherwood for the Spirit of 95.

Edited by Brownie

If it's greatest-ever players to represent Rovers, rather than players who had their greatest-ever moments with us, then surely you'd have to pick Ardiles?

He was in the winter of his career when he came to us, but how many World Cup winners have played for us?

Other than that, I'd have to say Clayton and Latheron, if only because they didn't play for the 95 side! You'd have thought that Sherwood (great player though he was) was Zico or something.

One final thing - one of the greatest midfielders to play for Rovers should definitely not be included in this poll as he only made five games. It isn't that often you get a world cup winner in the blue and white halves (we only recently got our second) so maybe we should remember Osvaldo Ardiles. Not that he did anything for us...but great player nonetheless.

Ossie Ardiles[/color]

Ossie would have done more but his time at Ewood was cut short by a filthy challenge from Nicky Marker at Home Park.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sherwood wasn't even the best midfielder in the Championship squad.  Calling him one of the greatest midfielders Rovers have ever had is just laughable.

This subject is all about different opinions, on this occasion mine is not the same as yours. No doubt some will disagree with both of us. Possibly just for the hell of it.

However I (and others such as Brownie) have put forward Sherwood. Is there somebody you would like to put forward for 'Greatest Midfielder'?

Bryan - you said "If it's greatest-ever players to represent Rovers, rather than players who had their greatest-ever moments with us, then surely you'd have to pick Ardiles?"

I'd have thought it is the greatest Rovers players, not really what they did for other clubs (although that can come into a little bit). Otherwise we would feasibly be looking at players who only played once for us when 17 before going on to be great for other clubs.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

What a strange list. Two names that caught my eye for different reasons were Latheron and Nicky Reid.........Chalk and cheese. Not that I'm old enough to have seen Latheron.

My father was born in 1902 and watched the two championship-winning sides etc. and always raved about Eddie Latheron. Dad died in 1965.

My father-in-law who is now 80 told me recently that when he was a boy in the early thirties, he came home one saturday from Ewood and his grandad said "How did Latheron play?" Of course Latheron had died in World War I. Silly old goat.

But that question brings an image into my mind of a face gleaming with expectancy. I've heard it since and seen that expression with "How did Douglas play?" and "How did Finney Play?" The obvious answer expected would be "Brilliant as ever!"

So Eddie Latheron must have been a VERY special player and fans favourite.

I'm tempted to vote for him alongside the legendary Ronnie Clayton.

Clayton and, much as I disliked him, Sherwood for me.

The dross in midfield since has convinced me that Sherwood was a lot better than I thought him at the time!!

Ps- for left winger- just in case I can't vote- DUFF!!!! (Am having connection difficulties from India!)

Up front Shearer and Garner

If it's greatest-ever players to represent Rovers, rather than players who had their greatest-ever moments with us, then surely you'd have to pick Ardiles?

I'd have thought it is the greatest Rovers players, not really what they did for other clubs

It's a team of Blackburn Rovers greats. How you define "great" is a matter for the individual.

To my mind, to be called great, you must be something better than a good player. There has to be something else to it. Douglas was a great player to me, because he was more than a top player. He was an idol to the fans that saw him and will be remembered long after his death. He wasn't part of the best rovers team ever, but to be great to me, he didn't need to be.

That's what stopped me for voting for Le Saux, even though he was possibly the best full back to wear the blue and white halves. He didn't have anything to go with that. Eckersley did. I didn't ever see Eckersley play, but contrast the respect that Eckersley has 'til this day, with the respect that Le Saux has/had.

As for Ardiles, he can't be in my team of greats, even though he was world class. He didn't play enough games, was only ever on loan and I can't imagine any rovers fan looking back to him being any kind of idol.

Don't know if that helps, but we're looking for players that will live on in the memory long after they're gone.

If anyone disagrees with that, fair enough, it's what we as individuals see as great. smile.gif

The best midfielder I have ever seen has got to be Ronnie Clayton.

I, along with every other member of this board, have never seen Eddie Latheron play but, based on what both my Grandfathers told me, and the lack of any other midfielder of any real class since Ronnie Clayton would put him in as my second central midfielder.

Back to Ronnie.

Played all his career at Blackburn and is still a big fan. A real one club man who can still be seen sitting in the stand with his great friend and other Rovers legend, Bryan Douglas.

Ronnie was a class, mainly defensive, midfielder who having won the ball could supply a range of defence splitting passes or alternatively could bring the ball forward and join in the attacks, a real box to boxer with an engine like the QE II. Also scored his fair share of goals. His upright style of running enabled him to take in the whole pitch in front of him. This allowed him to make the passes that many others never even saw.

How I wish we could pair him with Barry Ferguson in the current team.

Then there was his England career. One of the few Rovers players to have captained this country and it is claimed by many, together with his big mate Duncan Edwards, (sadly lost in the Munich air disaster) to have extended the England career of the great Billy Wright by covering for him in the last couple of years of his career. We will probably never see his like again.

Please vote Ronnie Clayton.

Introduction

Let's start with some statistics:

He is at number 29 in the number of games played for Rovers since the records began in 1888.

He played 272 games in all.

Just for comparison, this puts him well above (say) David Batty (70); Alan Shearer (165) and Tim Flowers (214.)

He scored 39 goals in those games. This despite spending much of his time at right back, and then at central midfield. Although at a push he could play just about anywhere, and he was capable of playing anywhere. He made a decent effort at playing on the right wing more than once.

He was at Rovers for 7 years.

The season we won the league he was the joint third highest scorer.

Deep intake of breath..............

And his name is Mark Atkins

A Bit Of History & Details

Super Atko made his league debut for Scunthorpe United whilst still a schoolboy and appeared in over sixty matches for that club (as well as playing for England schools) before Don MacKay bought him in 1988 for £45,000 Although he spent much of his early career at Ewood Park at full-back, he continually demonstrated an eye for goal.

Under the managership of Kenny Dalglish, he developed into a battling midfield player whose boundless energy and appetite for work made him the ideal partner for those around him.

Eventually, with Batty and Sherwood holding down the midfield positions at Blackburn, he moved to Wolverhampton Wanderers in September 1995.

He then went on to play for Doncaster, Shrewsbury (where he was temporary manager) and was last seen at Harrogate Town.

Atko At His Best

25th May 1992. Rovers v Leicester in the first division play-off at Wembley. A very hot day. Rovers were 1-0 in the lead after David Speedie tripped over a daisy and Mike Newall converted the penalty. A nervous moment, as Newall was notorious for his erratic penalty taking.

Then: after 85 minutes a break from midfield. A lone figure in yellow sprints to get to the stray ball leaving all others in his wake. He is storming forward like a horny stallion chasing a "my little pony" on heat. The Leicester keeper brings him down. Super Atko has sealed it for us. Yeh! Super Atko!

But Newall skies the penalty and reduces us to nervous wrecks for the last five minutes. Thanks Mike. Now go forth and manage Luton Town.

So, why should you vote for Mark Atkins

Atko never played for England. He was never collared in the tunnel for a post-match interview. He was never the subject of a tabloid shocker. No-one ever asked him to "write" a column for a newspaper. He was never in a "bust-up" with a manager. He was simply a professional footballer who got on with his job.

From his origins from Scunthorpe, he slipped into the Rovers' team where he would be a lynchpin for seven years. Older readers will remember Atko storming up and down the quagmire that was Ewood Park at the time.

After Uncle Jack arrived on the scene the squad grew, expensive signings joined the dressing room and it seemed that Atko would be perpetually in the reserves. Did this bother him? It did not. He just carried on grafting and working.

In the three years that he was with Rovers after we got promoted he played:

(1) 31 games and scored 6

(2) 9 games and scored 1

Then, when injury forced David Batty to miss the majority of the 1994-95 season, it was Atko who filled the void and formed a central midfield partnership with Tim Sherwood.

(3) 37 games and scored 6 - and that was when we won The Premiership.

It was a bit of an injustice when Atko was forced to sit out the final three games of the season following the return of Batty. However, there were no complaints from him as he once again proved himself a loyal servant to the club.

He represents everything that is good about our football club and pretty much all that can be good about professional footballers. In a nutshell he was the antithesis of the diving, prancing prima-donnas who seem to have taken over the game.

No bull, no hissy fits, no sulks, no boot deals, no MacDonalds adverts, no deliberate sendings-off. Probably the only agent he ever had was his newsagent.

He kept his gob shut and played his heart out for the club. Maybe he wasn't the most skilfull but for what he lacked in that department he made up with guts and effort and comittment . He had a heart as big as a bucket. He never shirked a tackle, he might have missed the ball ever so slightly once or twice, but no-one got hurt.

He won a Premiership Champions medal after contributing to 30 of the 42 league games in the season when we won the title. That is not a coincidence. He deserved that medal.

In a team that was seen at the time (and has mistakenly been seen ever since) to have been compiled from Jack Walkers money, he was a refreshing bargain-basement buy.

And he was one of only a few ex-players to be bothered to get his kit on for Garner's testimonial. For me that speaks volumes.

Anyhow here's a piccy of Super Atko, sadly not in the B & W but in Wolves Old Gold

Mark Atkins

Finally. You will have noted that time is slipping away for some kind of choice for the remaining players. I reckon it's a certainty who will be slipping into the two strikers and left wing places.

This leaves only two central midfield roles to be filled. Maybe, just maybe, one of these deserves to be filled by some one who was just an ordinary bloke. No frills, no caps, he just pulled on his boots and for seven years he had a blue & white heart.

Ladies and gentlemen, I offer you Mark Atkins. Vote for him. You know we need an honest grafter in there.

Thank you.

Ronnie was a Preston lad, not a Blackburn but Preston were not willing to sign both him and elder brother Ken.

Sherwood:don't forget that Kenny tried to get Geoff Thomas after we had got promoted but the Crystal Palace Chairman kept putting the price higher and higher so we didn't do the deal.There was also going to be a part exchange which of course also fell through. So Sherwood stayed.

Colin, what a fantastic presentation of the reasons we should all vote for Super Atko.

Mark Atkins was fair to middling as a young right back. I remember the game v Sheff Utd when they were pumping the ball straight down the middle and Rovers defence couldn't cope.

Then Atko was moved to central defence and was a revelation. Every time they hoofed it forward Super Atko headed it back. I can almost see the surprised look on their faces; the faces of the Sheff Utd players that is.

"Jet!... I can almost remember their funny faces".

That brings me to the Dalglish era. The chap sitting in front of me always referred to him as (I thought I heard) "JET" So I always referred to him as "Jet Atkins". Later I learnt that it was "Chet".......Chet Atkins.....some guitar player..pop singer?? ( Gosh, I sound like mi grandad.)

Dalglish only kept two of the players he inherited........Jase-the-ace Wilcox and Jet Atkins

both of whom were fit for the job.

One of the funniest stories surrounding Mark Atkins is that a long time ago he came to our village pub in Wheelton to do a penny tower push with Scott Sellars - guess what he bloody well missed. But after all it was in the week immediately after the horrendous own goal against Liverpool in the 111th minute of extra time biggrin.gif

Ronnie was a Preston lad, not a Blackburn but Preston were not willing to sign both him and elder brother Ken.

The Claytons lived in Penwortham near Preston. Both Ken and Ronnie were given a trial by Rovers.

There is some story that Mr Clayton, their father, insisted that both brothers were trialled and if Rovers wanted one, they had to take the other as well. How true this is I don't know.

What I DO know is that Ronnie was being given a trial and he was playing right-half in front of David Gray. My dad was watching this trial and David Gray was constantly shouting instructions to teenager Ronnie. My dad shouted "David, leave the lad alone and let him play his own game."

A chap came up to him to thank him. It was Mr Clayton, Ronnie's father.

Both Ronnie and Ken played for Rovers as wing halves for a short time but Ken faded and Ronnie progressed to captain Rovers and England.