SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

First central midfielder

toogs

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm picking my top two based on their influence and contribution rather than whether or not they would be able to cut it with the best or most talented of the modern era.

It's more of a Hall of Fame than a Best XI for me. That's why my votes are going towards two players I've never seen but who's fame is such that even at a young age I knew about them - Jimmy Forest and Ronnie Clayton.

Forest - He is probably our greatest 19thC player. Can you think of another? If he doesn't get in then I really cannot see this brilliant era in our history being represented in the team. That would be a great shame.

Clayton because of the influence he had on one of the most fondly remembered periods of Rovers history in the 50's and 60's which even now is more favourably compared with the Rovers team of the 1990's.

Just so people are clear :-

There will be two votes for the two central midfielders.

The winner of this vote will go automatically into the team.

Then we will vote in the second central midfielder, from the same list of candidates, minus the player elected from this poll.

It's been been discussed, conjectured, argued, disputed, induced, remonstrated, quarelled... the whole time the all time 11 has been voted for, and frankly I think it's just so short sighted to only vote for players you have seen play.

I voted for Clayton. Obviously I have never seen him play, but from his reputation and board members testimonies I have deduced that he is the best centre midfielder the club has seen.

Edited by tcj_jones

got to admit that I stopped voting on this subject.

Reason?

See Eddie's post above.

buy the book.

get the video/dvd.

take note of the content of the posts.

don't be narrow minded, think outside the square.

If you don't bother to vote then you can hardly complain about the result can you?

As can be seen by the inclusion already of Crompton, England and Dougals in the side along with the cast-iron favourite Clayton in midfield the majority of people voting on here are not being "narrow minded" and are able to "think outside the square" (whatever that means biggrin.gif ). For every one person saying they refuse to look past their own nose there are far more willing to debate, consider and arrive at opinions.

Don't let a couple of posts out of the hundreds there have been on here get you down. Get voting Dave!

I was with you until the last couple votes, Dave. I don't think LeSaux or Brad should be in the side, but things seem to be improving, with more impassioned comments on the older people and more people voting overall. It looks from the last couple results that people are finally listening to what the oldtimers have to say.

For the first vote, the winner by a country mile is Ronnie Clayton. I won't add to the praises already heaped on this giant but if you get to be taken round Ewood by this lovely man, just ask him about playing against Pele.

Funnily enough that's exactly what I did when I went on the ground tour about seven or eight years ago . The answer was typically modest , extolling Pele's virtues rather than his own. Similarly , the great man mentioned what a great honour and privilege it was for himself to be still involved at Ewood on a daily basis - and to be paid for it . A pity that attitude isn't more widespread in the game at large. Clayton even gave a telling off to my young lad for not having a firm enough handshake ! unsure.gif

The voting has slowed right down. In the last vote Duggie got 100 votes, it doesn't seem like that will happen here.

I must be boring you all now. rover.gif

Maybe the slower response is down to the feeling that this particular vote is pretty much a one horse race (even though there have been several good posts to promote candidates other than Clayton) and some are just waiting for the inevitable, before moving onto the next poll.

It's when people start demanding re-counts that the boredom'll set in wink.gif

Maybe the slower response is down to the feeling that this particular vote is pretty much a one horse race (even though there have been several good posts to promote candidates other than Clayton) and some are just waiting for the inevitable, before moving onto the next poll.

Yup, looks like Ronnie has scooped the first midfield place. The second one will be a bit more interesting.

It just needs more effort on the part of everyone who feels that the other places are not just automatically awarded. It'll keep it interesting if we all have a go and promote a player who doesn't seem the automatic choice.

Good to see Clayton striving to the 100 votes mark. Of the remaining positions I'd expect three of the four to more or less pick themselves. Can anyone see past Duff, Garner and Shearer getting in? That leaves the most debatable position as the second central midfielder. Even though I put forward a case for Sherwood I haven't decided who to vote for yet.

Another question - is there also to be a 'Greatest Manager' poll?

I can see past Garner, he doesn't deserve to be in a greatest Rovers team, full stop. Great servant to the club and he has a good scoring record, but anyone pretending he was anything other than a lower league goalscorer is deluding themselves.

After all the arguments that we had too many players now we don't seem to be able to get even 15? smile.gif Don't worry Dunny lad, I'll get you in yet...

We can do a greatest manager poll, we can do whatever you want.

I can see past Garner too. Garns was voted our "cult hero". but that doesn't mean he was one of the two greatest ever strikers, does it?

I certainly think we should vote for the greatest ever rover, from the final eleven though. Anyone else?