BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 - 1 Arsenal

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nelson had a poorer match at liverpool!!

Clearly you weren't one of the 700 who witnessed Todd,Mokoena and Nelson. Collossus (of Auckland).

Nelsen had a fine match but he did have a couple of slips, letting the ball bounce once or twice when he perhaps should have dealt with it. Nothing became of it so I am admittedly being overly critical, no doubt eyebrows would have been raise and moaning would have ensued had it been Nissa or Amo.

Not knocking Nelsen but the law of averages says he has to drop a clanger sooner or later, I just hope we continue to support him then.

He is one of the best defnders I have seen for sometime, anywhere, and definately in Blue and White halves. the man has it in him to become a bonafide rovers legend.

That ball he took down over his shoulder in the penalty area and cooly spun and cleared at Anfield was sublime and took extreme confidence. Of course if I remember correctly the commentators could only say how stupid it was to try that. Had it been Mr Rio Ferdinand they would still be wetting themselves and gushing ooohs and aaahs. Very very impressed with ryan Nelsen, very.

Today's starting line-up.

ROVERS: Friedel, Neill, Todd, Nelsen, Matteo, Thompson, Reid, Mokoena, Flitcroft, Pedersen, Dickov

Subs: Emerton, Tugay, Stead, Enckelman, Johansson.

ARSENAL: Lehmann, Cole, Vieira, Ljungberg, Reyes, Lauren, Fabregas, Flamini, Senderos, Clichy, Toure.

Subs: Van Persie, Taylor, Cygan, Eboue, Abeyie.

Would have liked to seen Johansson instead of Matteo. Rovers have never lost a game with Nissa and MGP on the left side.

Edited by Maverick

Matteo was actually pretty good in the first half and it came from a miskick from Johansson which resulted in a throw in.

An extremely good first half performance and I'd say we were definately the better team. All undone, however, by a moment of brilliance from Cole and a great take and finish from Van Persie.

To be fair, Arsenal deserved to win that game especially after Van Persie's moment of brilliance.

We just don't seem to create enough chances which means we struggle when we go behind. I don't think we've won when we've gone behind this season but to be fair, we attacked better in the second half and Reid was unlucky not to get a goal towards the end but maybe we should have switched to a 4-4-2 a bit earlier.

At the end of the day though, we will have to play better to progress in the FA Cup against a team which will have 5-6 of their best players back into the team.

• Backroom

I know it was Arsenal, I know we didn't expect to win, and I know 1-0 isn't a bad result.... but a full strentgh arsenal team will destroy us. We lost to an arsenal team which comprised of a fair chunk of 2nd choice players. Still an excellent team, mind, but if we had any chance of beating them it was against this kind of team. Neill and Johansson deserve a special mention for being terrible. Mokoena was very dodgy today... I wouldn't be happy with him as a centre-back, please keep him as a DM.

We didn't expect anything out of this game, but we didn't go for it either. 4-5-1, whilst a good system when we don't concede, is useless when we go a goal down. I would have liked to have seen Stead come on over Emo, who was largely useless, and Tugay, who contributed little. We don't score enough anyway and Dickov alone up front will never get us goals. Have to admit we had a few nice moves, but for the most part they came to nothing and our set pieces are diabolical as of late! Until next season at least Blackburn are going to be one of the worst teams to watch in the Premiership, but we can take solice that we will be in the premiership next year, I imagine.

Onto the next game! 0-0 all we can hope for against Utd, I fear.

Edited by DE4life

Neill is @#/?

Thought lucas had a very good game today.

Todd and Nelsen to blame for the goal, neither took the marking of van persie and one of them should have!(probally nelsen).

Not a bad game, just very frustrating!

Didn't think poll had a good game to say the least and reyes holding his head when lucas hit in on the chest to get him booked was a joke!

Can't help but think what might have been if we had put stead on at some point.

Based on today's performance I'd actually prefer Matteo. Johansson didn't do much right at all. Several times he messed up when he had plenty of time and still ended up giving the ball to an Arsenal player or putting it out of touch.

Todd and Nelsen to blame for the goal, neither took the marking of van persie and one of them should have!(probally nelsen).

To be fair though, if it was any other Premiership player, they would have held up the ball on the edge of the area and waited for someone to be in a free position, so we've got to give credit to Van Persie for how he went on to score the goal. It was excellent.

I want Emerton to start starting again, Thompson had some pretty terrible plays when he got the ball, he is consistantly kicking it out of bounds! Reid played well, as did Pedersen. Dickov did alright, but having the one striker up front wont cut it for this offensively struggling side. Savage is desperately needed back to get rid of this formation. Having said all that, Blackburn played very well, and I'm not upset with the outcome today, although Im freakin' tired from waking up at 7am to watch it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.