BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 - 1 Arsenal

I was as mad as hell by the end of that game especially with Dickov. Dammit he's supposed to be a professional footballer and he can,t seem to stay on side. I'd like someone to watch a replay and tell me exactly how many times he was off side. The worst thing about being off side is that after struggling to make ground into a good attacking position we surrender the ball and have to start all over again. On top of that there was a moment when he was in the pen area with the ball coming to him and he just stood there looking at the ref because he wanted a free given to pedersen I think. I believe that awas a real chance wasted ( and they were few and far between) because all he had to do was turn and shoot from close range, but he never even attempted to go for the ball. Let me finish this criticism by saying what many others have said "stop mouthing of at the ref" it's never going to work nor change anything ,just gets the refs back up thats all.

Now I really do admire Mark Hughes and I believe he will become a top manager but I have to say I can't understand why he did'nt change to an attacking formation at half time. In my mind he should also have taken off Thompson who was selfishly wasting attacking chances, instead of taking off Flitcroft. I am really puzzled as to why Stead did'nt get a chance when Dickov was obviously "out of sorts". The final attempt by Reid summed up Rovers day when he hurriedly scuffed it wide.

It's also about time the officials of the game cracked down on all the play acting and feigning injury thats going on even if it means looking at video after the game and handing out suspensions as a result if nescessary.

mad.gif

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hold on!?

Fair enough it was not Arsenals first 11, but still i bet that team they put out, cost well more than the rovers team did.

*snickers* LMAO

How the 'mighty' have fallen I know what reply I'd have got if I had offered that excuse about Burnley v rovers.

My 2 cents.

We played well for the first 40 minutes. Tight at the back, holding the ball in midfield just inside our half and playing the quick and early ball either to the feet or down the channel for the player to run onto.

Some good chances in the first half, some decent work by Thommo on the right and all was rosy in the world.

Then a great turn and finish by Van Persie and suddenly the wheels fell off.

Note that after the kick-off in the 2nd half, we didn't touch the ball (except of Nissa's arse I think) until they had a shot on goal (which Friedal saved superbly).

We were very poor for the majority of the second half. How much of that was due to positional changes (due to injury) and how much was due to Arsenal stepping up a gear is anyone's guess. At about the 75th minute we started to get things back together again, and in the last 10 minutes were were perhaps unlucky to score.... although on balance we wouldn't have deserved to. But for majority of the second half we resorted to long ball.... and the quick passing and neat play (along the ground) from the first half went AWOL>

Regarding the individual performances (based on watching a fuzzy TV with almost no sound).

First half the defence was generally sound. Friedal made some great saves in the second half. Matteo has very slow feet and offers very little going forward though it is arguable that we looked safer at the back with him as opposed to Nissa. I thought Nissa gave us more going forward but at the expense of defensive frailty.... but no Todd in the middle may be a contributing factor.

I thought Neil played well and rarely looked troubled defensively.

Thommo had a good first half but did nothing in the second.

I didn't see much of Flitcroft at all. Agree with others comments w.r.t Mokoena...good defensive midfielder, poor centre-back.

It took Emerton about 10 minutes to actually touch the ball when he came on...but he got into some good positions and looked stronger as the game went on.

Mort put in some good set pieces most of the time...but didn't factor much in open play. Reid was busy and ran hard to help out our attacks, as well as tackle back.

Dickov - puts his hands on his hips more often than Andy Cole. I'm not going to repeat what has been said by others... as I feel its pretty close to the mark...

...except that those who are saying that 'it's hard playing as a lone-striker when you are but a wee-lad' evidently have forgetten the times Matt Jansen used to do it for us when we played 4-5-1 with Dunny just behind Matt. Away at Arsenal one year springs to mind. You don't have to be a Shearer to do it effectively.

As others have said, it isn't Dickov's natural position, and it doesn't play to his strengths. I suppose its a sign of a bare cupboard if we continue to put the Dickov square peg into the lone striker round hole....but if Stead was as impressive away at Everton as some say then I guess that its just 'one of those management things' that continues to baffle supporters.

What made last night more depressing is that before the game the publican put on a replay of the Worthington Cup final. It was the first time I had watched the game since the victory..and it was rather sad.

A fully fit Jansen linking up with Cole.

Duffer running amok on the left. Dunn able to run at speed. Nissa looking assured at centre-back next to Berg. Bambi Taylor playing a blinder and looking oh-so-assured on the ball. And good 'ol Stig and left-back!! laugh.gif

I think that is one reason why the crowds stayed away after we finished 6th. Just as we were building a real team.... with players that the fans loved and adored.... one fell off a motorbike, one retired, one left and another was sold.

I think that the fact that many 'heroes' from our two promoted seasons under GS left after we finished 6th is never really taken into account as to why the fans stayed away.

What a bunch of moaning, cheating idiots. Their football is brilliant and still they roll around like babies. I thought it was disgusting. I wouldn't have had a problem if Mokoena chinned Reyes. Wenger should be ashamed. I wouldn't have shaken any of their hands afterwards. Arsenal represent everthing I despise about football at the moment.

P.S Wasn't it great to see the sun shining and a decent home atmosphere today?

Well the media are happy, this morning, all of them gloating about us being beaten by Arsenal "Reserves".

It's probably as well Reyes isn't anywhere near here or I'd wallop the blighter with my frying pan (my right hook isn't so good these days) for all his cheating and play-acting mad.gif . I couldn't even speak to an Arsenal supporting friend - why do they cheat when there is no need?

It started off as a great afternoon, with good weather, the Marine Display and a brilliant atmosphere. Matteo was on form for once (I still prefer Nissa there) and the lads caused Arse problems but switching off for just a moment allowed the goal.

And it got worse when Todd didn't re-appear for the second half - you just sensed things were not going to go our way

One thing which really irritates me is when one of the players thinks he has a grievance and stands with hands on hips or arm in the air expecting something to be done about it and misses a crucial move whilst doing so. I wish Hughes would have a quiet word in each ear telling them to get on with the game at such times, if a foul or whatever is going to be awarded it will be and it can cost us dear. Much more satisfying surely to see the ball cleared or put soundly in the back of the net than allowing the opposition to take advantage of the situation.

I have been reading lately about the worry of people not wanting to train to be Referees because of the abuse being heaped on them at all levels but you do expect Premership Referees not to be so (please substitute very rude word of your choice) incompetant and seemingly biased.

Edited by roversmum

Personally, my patience ran out with Dickov yesterday.

He's done a stirling job and has been worth every penny.

He was picking up points for us single-handedly earlier in the season.

But every club in the Premiership has a striker you would swap him for and as our number 1 striker, he has no pace, no quality and cannot shoot.

I'm sure he will play the season out but next season if we are to progress we need two frontline strikers.

A target man and a quick one to play alongside.

I hope Bellamy comes and a Sutton-type to play the lone strikers role.

I think most people need to look at this from a better angle.

The question isn't, "whether Dickov is good enough?"

The question is, "why is he so much better then the rest?"

That's the problem not Dickov, he's been at 6+ club all where is lost his place e.g. Man city Keegan dropped him

yet here he is our best striker by "some Distance", so Dickov's not the problem, its getting competition for Dickov thats the problem.

Edited by chris

Yesterday I ended up thinking "Mark Hughes looks fit and healthy- I'm sure at 40+ he'd STILL be better thans dick(ead)ov"

Someone needs to gag the moron(Dick(ead)ov). Another ref could have sent him off four times for his lip. I didn't think the ref was much good, but he did us a favour there.

And Toddy sat in the dugout for the second half. He looked terrible- was struggling to get up the stairs and sat wrapped in a big coat for the second half.

Also- any idea why we took off the one midfielder actually capable of tackling? A midfield of Emerton, Thommo, Reid Tugay and Pedersen is hardly the world's most robust.

I had a theory yesterday afternoon- that we knew we couldn't have scored against them if we'd huffed and puffed for a year, so the second half was just to lull the Arse into a false sense of security for the semi. They'd relax cos they thought we were awful, and we'd beat them hands down. I'm not saying it's a GOOD theory, but it's a theory.

Back to reality isn't it. After a few weeks of praising the team from head to toe one defeat in a close game to one of the best sides in Europe, even if they were missing a few players, and suddenly we are the worst team around and every player is getting stick. It's at times like these that some of you really, really annoy me.

Powder-puff in attack.

Lacking any artistry in midfield.

Solid at the back. (Usually)

I don't want to criticize Dickov because playing a lone role is not his forte. The goals he scored for Leicester last season were as a result of playing alongside another striker and getting onto nod ons and ricochets.

Good view from your armchair?

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Yesterday I ended up thinking "Mark Hughes looks fit and healthy-  I'm sure at 40+ he'd STILL be better thans dick(ead)ov"

Someone needs to gag the moron(Dick(ead)ov).  Another ref could have sent him off four times for his lip.  I didn't think the ref was much good, but he did us a favour there.

And Toddy sat in the dugout for the second half.  He looked terrible- was struggling to get up the stairs and sat wrapped in a big coat for the second half. 

Also- any idea why we took off the one midfielder actually capable of tackling?  A midfield of Emerton, Thommo, Reid Tugay and Pedersen is hardly the world's most robust.

I had a theory yesterday afternoon- that we knew we couldn't have scored against them if we'd huffed and puffed for a year, so the second half was just to lull the Arse into a false sense of security for the semi.  They'd relax cos they thought we were awful, and we'd beat them hands down.  I'm not saying it's a GOOD theory, but it's a theory.

The more you say Dick(ead)ov the funnier it gets. dry.gifhuh.gif

Edited by shillito15

Hughes was a bit limited today in his options in that he had to use all his subs early . Otherwise Stead would surely had replaced Dickov about 20-30 minutes from the end .

The fact is he brought on Emo instead of Stead, which was a very poor choice. We needed two up top in the second half if we were to equalise. The disturbing thing is, that if we go 1-0 down against a team (rare recently I must admit) then you know only too well that we aren't going to score. Similarly if we go 1 up then it's more than likely that we'll hold on and win. Hughes cannot really address this until the summer-but he can start now by replacing Dickov with Stead. My mate joked to me yesterday "you need sparky to rip of his suit and get on the pitch" he joked, but I was intreagued by the prospect!! I seriously think that Dickov needs a few weeks off, because he's offering us very little at the moment-especially at home. The test for Hughes will arrive after the Utd game, when we play the smaller clubs. Will he stick with 4-1-4-1 or will he revert to a 4-4-2. I think that when you pull Mokoena out of the holding role then we will concede quite a few more goals. So it should be interesting. I'd be happy to stay with this formation, providing that Stead plays instead of Dickov. Finally, I said after the Everton game that Thommo looked like he was back. How wrong a man can be. He was absoloutely woeful-embarrasing even. I'm not usually one of those "he gets paid all that money and still he cant cross" but my god I found myself saying it yesterday. A guy trains everyday and every single one of his crosses sailed over the bar-bring back Emo honestly. I wouldn't push any panic buttons-lets just get the Utd game out of the way, and then we can pick up the required points.

As Ozziejones says the tone of all these comments(particularly from the Armchairs) would have been different when reid (should) have scored and if emo had scored.

That's life and the Premiership for you.Lets all now concentrate on ALL buying our Semi-Final tickets. Keep the Faith.

The reaction to Dickov coming was good because we expected him to be cheap cover for Cole & Stead. Cole leaving and Steads form made him the number one choice, and therefore meant further responsibilty was placed on Dickovs shoulders. Ive no doubt had we kept hold of Cole, that Dickov would be a 'super sub', hes just not cut out for what we need right now.

Some people are suggesting that Dickov is our best option.

But is he?

I know he's overperformed this season considering his groin injury, age and his one season Premiership record. However, Stead's demeanour radically improved after his goal against Everton and he would surely offer more as a lone striker than Dickov, assuming that he's refound his confidence.

Edited by rover6

Stead's performance against Liverpool was better than anything I've seen off Dickov for a while, and he had less service in that game than Dickov has had.

We have no reason to blindly stick by Dickov...yes, he's good...but he's not that good...a 70% fit Dickov certainly isn't better than a 100% fit Stead.

The reaction to Dickov coming was good because we expected him to be cheap cover for Cole & Stead. Cole leaving and Steads form made him the number one choice, and therefore meant further responsibilty was placed on Dickovs shoulders. Ive no doubt had we kept hold of Cole, that Dickov would be a 'super sub', hes just not cut out for what we need right now.

To be fair Dickov might actually be what we need right now, however he is certainly not what we will need next season. He does not belong in a top 10 team...which is surely where we should be next season given the budget Hughes has to work with.

Bloody strange why so many folk on here reckon that we can do without Dickov and should get rid of him when we procure ths services of 2 top strikers next season. So just what we gonna do when injuries, suspension and loss of form kick in with our top guns folks? Or maybe some members are assuming that we are going to sign 5 top strikers come summer. huh.gif

Give Dickov a break for god's sake.

He will never be the best striker in the world but he's been bloody good for this season. Without Dickov's goals where would we be?

He's scored nine goals in the league and one in the cup, goals get you points and Dickov's got us that.

Stead has scored one goal this season, a good goal as well but if Stead had been that brilliant as some members are suggesting then surely he would have scored more than one goal?

Following West Brom's thrashing of Charlton we are way out on our own as the Prem's lowest scorers with 25 so the 9 from Dickov are invaluable. All this anti-Dickov stuff is to some extent accurate but downright unfair.

Southampton's win today has brought the trap door two points closer and Soton and Palace at home are going to be almighty tussles next month. At least we can be reasonably assured of at least a 0-0 draw in the Sparky regime whereas Souey would loose at least one if not both of those games.

The four points from our trips to Merseyside now look like gold dust.

Back to yesterday, I suspect Hughes wants to have something different in his bag for the semi-final; Stead, Savage and a flu-less Todd would have made a huge difference yesterday and I suspect will have an effect even against an Arsenal team with their five stars restored to fitness come April 16. Wenger might be tempted to play some of his Cup team of kids against us seeing they did so well yesterday, particularly if we deny the Mancs of three points at OT and put second place back in the Gunners' hands.

Thankfully we now have a two week break which will disrupt any momentum for Southampton and West Brom. Provided he doesn't go chasing lost causes for Scotland, Dickov has the chance for some groin rest which if I were Hughes I would prolong by putting him on the bench against the Mancs and giving Steady a go. In the meantime, let Walter Smith's lot get Gally back into shape- Scotland has to have some use to somebody!

Has anyone seen MGP go past a defender?

Did you see the goal he scored against Norwich at home?? or Burnley home???

Point taken but as a wide player he only seems to me to beat a man when the defender is tight on him. There were several opportunities yesterday when MGP was running at a defender and he chose not to take him on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.