BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 - 1 Arsenal

I’ve said it that many times; “Where are the Rovers goals going to come from” For all his running around, Dickov is not a natural striker. The only reason, in my opinion, that he’s retaining a first team place is because of his industrious energy in running around the park and the lack of other options up front. Thanks to Souness’s ego we lost the only class forward we had last season. Whilst Cole may not have been prolific in front of goal, his presence gave Stead the opportunity to capitalise on the space left as defenders concentrated on controlling Cole.

Once again, with a 4-5-1 formation, Rovers showed their weakness in front of goal. Now I’m not knocking the formation of only playing one striker up front, but it has to be the right personnel who can hold the ball up and knock the ball down to bring the midfielders into play. For this formation to work there is a need for a big strong and fast centre forward, not a knee high to a grass hopper player who couldn’t out pace a donkey on Blackpool beach.

I would go far as saying that due to his manner of play, with his continuous moaning to referees claiming for a foul every time that he backs into a defender, Dickov is more of a liability that benefit, and I wonder if when a genuine claim is made, the ref brushes it aside like the kid who cried wolf to many times.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go far as saying that due to his manner of play, with his continuous moaning to referees claiming for a foul every time that he backs into a defender, Dickov is more of a liability that benefit, and I wonder if when a genuine claim is made, the ref brushes it aside like the kid who cried wolf to many times.

I would agree with you. If Dickov continues to annoy the referees, I'm sure that even the most partial and professional referee when confronted with a 50/50 situation may think 'serves the little b***** right.... play-on!!!'

Well, I feared the worst for this season when we suffered back to back 4-0 league defeats, one of them at Ewood to a team that lost 4-1 to West Brom yesterday.

I'll take Hughes's "unattractive" style of play anyday over 20th place.

I wasn't too disappointed by the result but if you imagine most of Arsenal's missing players back for the semi-final, I can't see us beating them - perhaps a 0-0 with Brad making a few save in the penalties (but then can you imagine our players knocking the penalties in?)

On another note, Akinbyebye scored!! The same one that couldn't hit a barn door the size of an aircraft hangar. . . blink.gif

the problem with dickov is that his link up play is atrocious and with a lone striker you need two things:

1. A striker who can hold up the ball and bring others into the game

2. Midfielders who can get forward and take chances.

Dickov is absolutely terrible at No. 1 and Reid, Emerton and Thompson don't take anywhere near enough of their chances (I'll let MGP off on this one).

At least Stead and Gallagher use the ball well and can bring others into it but the midfielders need to start taking chances. Look at Chelsea, most of their goals come from Duff, Robben, Lampard & Cole. Or if we're being more realistic lets look at Everton who get most of their goals form midfield as well with Bent playing the lone forward role brilliantly (but not scoring much).

As for the Semi I'm actually quietly confident about that one. I think the problem with Arsenal this season has been how complacent their big time players have become. I actually think we'll have more joy against Viera & Co. than we had against the hungrier fringe players yesterday. Mokoena will kick Viera off the park, we will defend so deep that Henry's pace won't be an issue and if MGP can rediscover his great free-kick/corner delivery from a few weeks ago then we have every chance of nicking a goal from a set-piece.

I would have to take issue with the management for the second home game running as I thought we were excellent in the first half today, dominating possession and only undone by a momentary lapse in concentration for the goal.

There was really no need to make wholesale changes to the formation and I thought we were accordingly much less effective in the second period.

I have to comment on Dickov though, yet again he offered absolutely nothing and is incapable of playing the lone striker role. Stead held the ball up and linked play far better at Anfield and can consider himself very unlucky to be dropped. I really can't understand why we insist on wheeling Dickov out half fit week after week, he has nuisance value but is not really good enough at this level when fully fit anyway. It's not like we're missing out on Shearer or something if the former Leicester man fails to make it onto the pitch.

Glad you said it Rev and not me as I think I would have been a bit more critical - looks like we are back in the same way of thinking.

Anyway, an understrength Arsenal side who up until their goal didn't look interested - think they where looking at what we could do, which in all matter was a BIG FAT ZERO.

Awful defending for their goal regardless of who's fault it was considering our new defensive approach , even though V-P finished it well- personally the injury to Matteo was our downfall, as it appeared we lost all concentration at the back when he went off.

What is the point of putting on another (awful) midfielder who cannot win a header to support the awful Dicko - when we have another arguably the better striker on the bench?

We should have won on Saturday and a bad bad management decision cost us the game - this will happen more if we don't buck up our attacking options and will certainly not bring the crowds back.

As Philipl says after that I don't hold much hope for the SF when Arsenal will more than likely be firing on all fronts with their main guns back in contention.

Once we go 1-0 we haven't got a clue - especially with Dickov up front on his own.

Let me put it another way, he's annoying me that much now that, if he's our best option up front next season, then I will join the armchair fans.

Well said.

Hearing the same from more and more Rovers fans lately. I think we're more cheesed off with his constant whinging than the referees are.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but did anyone listen to the commentary on 5 live for the Arsenal game?

Very very anti-rovers. I couldn't quite believe half the stuff I was hearing against our players which wasn't quite repeated when an Arsenal player was guilty of the same offense.

Though over recent weeks we have put a little bit of daylight between ourselves and the bottom three I am still very concerned. With our total lack of punch, imagination and flair up front I have no idea how we are going to score goals. A few losses coupled with a few good results from the clubs below us and we are right back in the mire. I don't think I will feel at ease unless we can dispatch both the Saints and Palace.

1. On tactics - Mokowena was awsome in midfield and provided superb cover for a back for in which Matteo was awful (can he pass?). When he moved into centre back the whole midfield fell apart defensively. If Johanson had been at L/B from the start he would have gon to C/H and I would have put Emmerton into R/B and Neil left back. Midfield would have carried on pressing (or axing) the game in Arse's half.

What's Eric done wrong?

2. We would still have lost 'cos Dickov in not up to it but neither are the other forwards (MGP excepted). £10,000 a week and not one decent cross.

Well, I feared the worst for this season when we suffered back to back 4-0 league defeats, one of them at Ewood to a team that lost 4-1 to West Brom yesterday.

Middlesbrough lost 3-1 at home to Southampton yesterday.

It was Charlton who lost 4-1 at home to WBA.

I doubt our loss to Boro would have been so heavy were it not for Tugay's first half dismissal. I also doubt the margin of Charlton's defeat would have been so severe had they not played most of the game with ten men.

I have to say that I felt that Hughes missed an opportunity.

Dickov isn't fit - with international week coming up, he could have rested him.

This would also given him another chance to see Stead playing in the lone striker role.

But, all in all, this game just proved that there isn't much in the Premiership outside the top 3. The huge financial advantage of being in the Champs League and finishing in the top three means that they can afford to have a squad with quality running all the way through it.

Realistically, for all the rubbish said about it being the Arsenal youth team - their side still cost more than ours did. In fact Reyes probably cost more alone than our whole side did.

It is the sad reality of a league that is now no better than the Scottish Premiership for genuine competition between the sides. We may have three dominant teams to their two - but we have far more teams in the premiership.

Its all just too depressing. Lets hope Newcastle and Rovers can strike a blow for the under-dogs and both make it to the final rover.gif

knowing Dickov slightly well, i think he probably wouldn't dare miss chance for a Scotland cap, he has a very poor record for Scotland and has been sub for probably the last 10 years, so if he gets a start i would guess he would take it.

alternatively he will pull out of the squad before they meet up at the request of Blackburn medical staff

Understand? Hmmm not sure after all I am a dingle.

Oh you've figured that out at last eh CC?

Now go figure why it is you keep coming on here, and then find somewhere else to go and air your little comments.

Ouch. blink.gif

Well actually not ouch. LOL in fact, LOLOLOL

IMO this relegation battle is far from won. Defeat at Old Trafford (almost certain) defeat at home to Soton (quite possible ) a blank weekend (cup semis) when others are playing and Rovers could very easily be in or perched just above the bottom 3 when they play Palace - and only 3 days after a tiring semi. Only one fit stiker of any consequence - Stead. Forget the unlikely Cup glory and get real.

Cheers guys... Reading all the negative posts has got me thinking again.

My worst nightmare- get taken apart by a rampant Arsenal team in the semis and get involved in a relegation battle until the bitter end- mind you Hughes said last week we wont be out of it until the end of the season.

Just when I thought things were looking rosy in the garden again...

Edited by John

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.