• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would still have been a draw  tongue.gif

328912[/snapback]

laugh.gif

that is one of the funnier things i have read for a while...... laugh.gif

as usual from our australian counterparts, when we play them in a test tour, plenty of gobbing off based upon past series. well our team in the last 2 years has enjoyed and deserved the rise in test cricket aswell as one dayers and it has been a long time coming. so far this summer australia are not in our league in terms of cricket, but i aint counting them out (far from it). australia are a very good side and have been for many years now so it would be against our peril if we all started writing them off so early in the peace.

however, should our good start to the season continue and go on through the summer and we win the test series i am absolutely certain that we will still have plenty of aussie on here again gobbing off, or....hang on maybe we won't cause common knowledge tells us that (some) aussies can't handle being given stick and try and shy away from what was previously been said from their end. we all give it and we all take it....if you can't do the latter then don't even bother.

I'm beginning to wonder how Justin Langer will fit into the test squad, and indeed he is looming as a key player. Hayden has been in ordinary form, but he and Gilchrist have still managed to get Australia off to good starts. It has been the middle order where we have been falling down.

If Langer can blunt Jones and Harmison and we can get off to a good start in the tests, Australia will have a good chance. But Langer hasn't played any cricket in a long time, and if it takes him a few tests to get used to the conditions and find form, it will be too late.

The last thing we need is for the Australian middle order to be facing Harmison, Jones and Flintoff with a new ball.

Said it before, will say it again, this is the phoney war, and counts for absolutely nothing when it comes to determining who wins the Ashes.

If England have a good first day of the First Test, I might start to get excited. Until then, I'm wary.

Thems fightin' words!!  Grrrrr.

330205[/snapback]

So are these examples of sledging picked up from the web....

§McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan: "So what does Brian Lara's dick taste like?"

Sarwan: "I don't know. Ask your wife."

McGrath (losing it): "If you ever effing mention my wife again, I'll effing rip your effing throat out."

§Daryll Cullinan & Shane Warne:

As Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Warne told him he had been waiting

2 years for another chance to humiliate him. "Looks like you spent it eating," Cullinan retorted.

§Merv Hughes & Viv Richards:

During a test match in the West Indies, hughes didn't say a word to Viv, but

continued to stare at him after deliveries. "This is my island, my culture.

Don't you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl." Merv didn't reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the batsman: "In my culture we just say f**k *ff.".

§And of course you can't forget Ian Healy's legendary comment which was picked up by the Channel 9 microphones when Arjuna Ranatunga called for a runner on a particularly hot night during a one dayer in Sydney... "You don't get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, fat c**t!!!"

§Mark Waugh standing at second slip, the new player to the crease playing & missing the first ball. Mark - "Ohh, I remember you from a couple years ago in Australia. You were ###### then, you're we don't like that word, please don't use it useless now".

Parore- (Turning around) "Yeah, that's me & when I was there you were going out with that old, ugly slut & now I hear you've married her. You dumb c*nt".

§Glenn McGrath & Eddo Brandes

McGrath was bowling to the Zimbabwe number 11 - who was unable to get his bat anywhere near the ball. McGrath, frustrated that Brandes was still at the crease, wandered up during one particular over and inquired: "Why are you so fat?" Quick as a flash, Brandes replied: "Because every time I make love to your wife, she gives me a biscuit." Even the Aussie slip fielders were in hysterics.

§Merv Hughes & Robin Smith

Smith played and missed while facing Hughes in the 1989 Lord's Test between England and Australia. Hughes, never short of a word or two, told the Hampshire star: "You can't f***ing bat, mate." Smith then smashed the next ball to the boundary and replied: "Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. "I can't f***ing bat and you can't f***ing bowl."

§Merv Hughes again!!

Merv Hughes & Javed Miandad in the 1991 Adelaide Test against Pakistan. Hughes was less than impressed when Javed called him a "fat bus conductor" as the pair squared up to one another. A few balls later, Hughes got his man and as Javed walked past, could not resist shouting "Tickets, please!"

§Greg Thomas was bowling to Viv Richards in a county game. Viv missed a superb out swinger, and Thomas said "It's red, round and weighs about 5 1/2 ounces." Next ball Viv hits Greg Thomas out of the ground for a 6 and replies,"Greg, you know what it looks like. Go ahead and find it!"

§Fred Trueman bowling. The batsman edges and the ball goes to first slip, and right between Raman Subba Row's legs. Fred doesn't say a word. At the end of the over, Row ambles past Trueman and apologises sheepishly. "I should've kept my legs together, Fred". The reply is classic Trueman, "Not you, son. Your mother should've!"

§A classic from the master of sledging, Ian Healy:

Ben Hollioake had just made his debut, hitting Glenn McGrath in the process.

On his way back after finally being dismissed, Shane Warne cried: 'Hey, Ben'

Hollioake turned round expecting a pat on the back. Instead Healy came in from behind and said: 'Get back to the nets, you idiot.'

§ another one, ravi shastri v/s the aussie 12th man (don't remember who, and don't want to slander anyone ) shastri hits it to this guy and looks for a single...this guy gets the ball in and says "if you leave the crease i'll break your f***ing head"

shastri: "if you could bat as well as you can talk you wouldn't be the f***ing 12th man"

So are these examples of sledging picked up from the web....

§McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan: "So what does Brian Lara's dick taste like?"

Sarwan: "I don't know. Ask your wife."

McGrath (losing it): "If you ever effing mention my wife again, I'll effing rip your effing throat out."

330423[/snapback]

cheers blue phil, that was rather imusing once again reading all that.

the above quote is my point illustrated perfectly.

Just to add a little matter as to why McGrath is touchy about his wife....

For a quite a number of years she has been battling with cancer (breast, I think).

I think that she is in remission at the moment.

Finally, in a twist of irony, she's an English girl. He met her on an earlier ashes tour.

I've heard that story about Viv Richards and the county player before... although the version I heard had somewhat harsher language laugh.gif

Blueboy - as dave birch mentioned, McGrath's wife was at death's door during the last Carribean tour for cancer treatment...and he completely lost it.

Not that I'm saying McGrath is all smiles and sunshine mind you... he can be a downright moody and surly p*** at times.

pg

i am actually a big teddy bear mate. laugh.gif

and believe it or not i used to be a little boy.

it is a shame that mrs mcgrath was so ill and we wish that on nobody, not just her but the whole family aswell. i am sure that if sarwan had of known that she was not well, then he would not have made that comment.

however if you give stick you should accept that you will recieve it in return. Im sure an appology was made from Sarwan when he found out.

I always liked Flintoff against Tino Best last summer.

"Watch the Windows Tino" (just after Best hit a massive six) next ball he went for the same shot and Flintoff caught him at slip biggrin.gif

however if you give stick you should accept that you will recieve it in return. Im sure an appology was made from Sarwan when he found out.

I always liked Flintoff against Tino Best last summer.

"Watch the Windows Tino" (just after Best hit a massive six) next ball he went for the same shot and Flintoff caught him at slip biggrin.gif

330606[/snapback]

Not to ###### in your cereal, but actually he was stumped by Geraint Jones. Memory going in your old age?

Can't beat a bit of sledging in the field!

Not looking good for the 3-0 victory. What does everyone think to the new fielding rules and the super subs? Nasser Hussain was having a right moan about them! I think the super sub only really benefits the team batting second. They've only been around for 2 games so i guess you just need to give it a little time.

Edited by Macky

Australia were the much better side today in all areas of the game, a deserved victory.

Really makes the prospect of the test series more exciting, based on the results of the one day series it will be finely balanced.

laugh.gif

that is one of the funnier things i have read for a while...... laugh.gif

as usual from our australian counterparts, when we play them in a test tour, plenty of gobbing off based upon past series.  well our team in the last 2 years has enjoyed and deserved the rise in test cricket aswell as one dayers and it has been a long time coming. 

330198[/snapback]

Fancy a slab of VB on the result of the ashes Blueboy ?

Mmmm, that was a satisfying victory. And very comforting to see Punter get his eye in and feet settled very early.

Best moment: Wayward throw to Jones results in over throws and a man in the crowd chants EASY EASY EASY!!!

Having Ponting return to some sort of form is the last thing England would have wanted.

Just think, if the Ashes had started a few weeks ago, England may have been 2-0 by now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.