BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Old Gate Debate

One thing that has affected gates over the last thirty years, is the fact that prices have stopped people watching more than just their own team.

Years ago, I used to watch rovers one Saturday, then went with my mate to watch PNE the next.

Imagine having to shed out another £25 to watch someone elses team.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there are a lot of 'floating' football fans out there who have not attended matches for various reasons, including those who loosely call themselves 'fans' of other teams.

If we look outside our little bubbles they are there and only need a few words of encouragement and maybe a bit of effort to take them along to Rovers even if it means changing our seat for a match (shock, horror).

I agree the ticket price can be a deterrent for some, but there are the special offers and cheaper matches for them to try; then hopefully you can get them hooked and even if they don't attend all matches you have another Rovers shirt in the area and there is even a chance that they may consider the excellent value of a season ticket.

So now you have come clean Theno! That is your evil plan. All of Rovers neighbouring clubs and rivals go bust financially and Rovers collect their ex- supporters who all roll over and accept the situation and become Rovers fans without a murmur of discontent. Only now (as a sop to them) Rovers change their name to Lancashire Utd.

Brilliant! Why did none of us think of that? ;)

Ingleby's complaining that Burnley are losing £30,000- £40,000 per week. Said in the Radio Lancs interview that the board would discuss reducing ticket prices. Those two statements do not belong together.

Burnley have the same problem as us , economically , demographically etc etc . Keep ticket prices high ......and lose punters through the gate at a rate of a couple of thousand a season . Sooner or later the fan base is gone .

Rovers , belatedly , have seen the light and realised that good attendances in the long run take precedence over (very) short term financial "gain" .

It is easy to say that those two sentences don't belong together . In fact they do . Clubs such as ours have to think firstly and lastly of the long term future - otherwise there won't be a medium term future . In a way I feel sorry for the Dingles - they don't even have a trust fund to play with . we do - and we must use it to get crowds through the turnstile . Forget about J Walker's words about being financially solvent ; that's not going to happen in the prem league by having artificially high prices .

Burnley have the same problem as us , economically , demographically etc etc .

I wish we had their hinterland. Lapsed Burnley fans can be found down to Clitheroe in the north, Bury in the south and right across to Bradford in the east. Their exploits in the 50's and 60's provided them with most of the support in towns like Bacup, Colne, Nelson, Skipton, Keighley, Barnoldswick, Todmorden etc. Unfortunately for them these supporters are dying off and many of their kids inevitably support Man U. Teenagers dont suffer losers willingly do they?

I think your spot on there about Burnley Blue phil,working in the place gives you a better idea of the problems they face...very similar to ours in all honesty.From comments made most Clarrots can only look on in envy of Rovers and their cheap tickets,they cannot afford to do it at Turd moor to often as according to agent Edmundson they need 16,000 at full price just to break even.....a local,top of the table derby clash(albeit on sky)against Preston only sees 11,500 home fans make the effort!

Whether you like it or not East Lancashire is a very financially depressed area at the moment and football appears to be well down on the priority list

I think your spot on there about Burnley Blue phil,working in the place gives you a better idea of the problems they face...very similar to ours in all honesty.From comments made most Clarrots can only look on in envy of Rovers and their cheap tickets,they cannot afford to do it at Turd moor to often as according to agent Edmundson they need 16,000 at full price just to break even.....a local,top of the table derby clash(albeit on sky)against Preston only sees 11,500 home fans make the effort!

Whether you like it or not East Lancashire is a very financially depressed area at the moment and football appears to be well down on the priority list

Now that is one of the more sensible items on this thread SG. Personally I find the whole situation in E. Lancs, both economically and football-wise, to be very,very sad. It seems to me living up here in a beautiful and prosperous area, yet still being at heart a Lancastrian, to be both worrying and sad. I really mean that. I would love to see some signs of economic revival down there. Then maybe the various football clubs, all of them with a long and proud history, could achieve things again, and enjoy the same solid support they once had.

Then maybe the various football clubs, all of them with a long and proud history, could achieve things again, and enjoy the same solid support they once had.

Nostalgic but a pipe dream. It'll never happen fife. The players simply want more bunce that the supporters can afford to give em nowadays.

I wish we had their hinterland. Lapsed Burnley fans can be found down to Clitheroe in the north, Bury in the south and right across to Bradford in the east. Their exploits in the 50's and 60's provided them with most of the support in towns like Bacup, Colne, Nelson, Skipton, Keighley, Barnoldswick, Todmorden etc. Unfortunately for them these supporters are dying off and many of their kids inevitably support Man U. Teenagers dont suffer losers willingly do they?

Spot on again Thenodrog.

I honestly get the impression though that in the areas of Colne and Nelsen, and to a lesser extent Barnoldswick and Clitheroe, the support of Rovers is creeping up on that of Burnley's. Now that isn't saying much, but it is disturbing the amount of United and Liverpool shirts you see in these areas nowadays. The problem Burnley have now is that you can go and watch a Premiership game for the same price of a ticket on t'Turd.

The main reason football is fooked is because you can be an armchair fan of a big club, and still feel the benefits of being a season-ticket holder. You can easily see your team play week in week out from the comfort of your home/local pub.

Edited by ihateburnley

Now that isn't saying much, but it is disturbing the amount of United and Liverpool shirts you see in these areas nowadays.

Something which will sadly happen around here should we ever find ourselves down amongst the dead men for more than a year or two. It WILL happen here too cos we've seen it all before in the 70's and 80's.

Just to re-iterate how much Rovers are doing to bring back fans, it cost me £30 to watch three Rovers matches, English champs Chelsea, who started with Ballack, Robben, Terry, Cole A and Cole J. Plus two home games in the UEFA cup. Marvellous.

I keep going on about it I know, but Man city had 37000 on last night. The stadium holds around 48000ish? Their average away following has dropped to around 2000.

City had 32000 [capacity] regularly in the old third division, so what's behind their sudden fall?

I keep going on about it I know, but Man city had 37000 on last night. The stadium holds around 48000ish? Their average away following has dropped to around 2000.

City had 32000 [capacity] regularly in the old third division, so what's behind their sudden fall?

The cost of attending to watch their team play ###### most games?

Just to re-iterate how much Rovers are doing to bring back fans, it cost me £30 to watch three Rovers matches, English champs Chelsea, who started with Ballack, Robben, Terry, Cole A and Cole J. Plus two home games in the UEFA cup. Marvellous.

i`m paying £10 for the same games

( It's not only rovers is it? So why do we have this complex about OUR gates? :D

Den - I don't see it as Rovers fans having a complex (about Rovers anyway), but moreso worry as to why they are not coming at the generally cheaper prices compared to other Premier clubs and a decent performing team.

As said before it certainly isn't just Rovers but shows more due to us not having fans replacing the non attendees - Citeh as are Boro are now feeling the affect big style which is what we (us Rovers fans) sort of as expected would start to happen.

What you can guarantee is they will not get slated for the support like the Rovers, and will probably see more people now questioning the decline in Football attendances

The efforts by Rovers could well be the yardstick for Fooball in general which could be just what is needed and for the better overall, but you can bet your bottom dollar they won't get any recognition for it.

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

We've already seen that the fickle fans will turn up for the cheap tickets but not recognise what the club's done for them and continue to whine when they're charged normal prices. (and not turn up) All recognise that the club cannot afford to unilaterally charge low prices, so I'm not really sure what the benefit to the club is?? ( and it's definitely NOT increased revenue)

We've already seen that the fickle fans will turn up for the cheap tickets but not recognise what the club's done for them and continue to whine when they're charged normal prices. (and not turn up) All recognise that the club cannot afford to unilaterally charge low prices, so I'm not really sure what the benefit to the club is?? ( and it's definitely NOT increased revenue)

Do you operate on a different tandem on purpose or is it just normal as thats what would appears to be the case.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.