SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 Newcastle 3

American

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Souness left after 4 games and there many on here who were delighted although he saw his "new* club beat us 3-0 in his first match and that scoreline has come back to haunt us bigtime The six games played so far this season are more or less the same as last year with 1 win ,2 draws and 2 losses. Souey was hammered last season and now it`s Hughes`s turn. I`m not sure yet whether we are worse than last year and opinion on here is divided but if the manager sees that cautious football is the way with the squad of players he`s got then we`ll have to put up with it. He said the same on Radio Five Live this morning that expansive football will only get you relegated. Dickov has been missed so far and he and bellamy can do well for us. Lets wait for a few more games before we crucify the team and Hughes as this level of criticism does sometimes lead to more instability.

24 shots wasnt it....

348179[/snapback]

Not exactly chances are they though Stu

Personally, I would rather have had two shots on target with one of them going in.

One save Given had to make -One - doesn't add up in my book, the thingn is its not the first time -so how much longer do we give it as all we appear to be saying nowadays is it will come mad.gif

Not exactly chances are they though Stu

Personally, I would rather have had two shots on target with one of them going in.

One save Given had to make -One - doesn't add up in my book, the thingn is its not the first time -so how much longer do we give it as all we appear to be saying nowadays is it will come  mad.gif

348221[/snapback]

I think they are chances Stu, just ones we fluffed. Well not "we" but them rather well played footballers we throw our hand earned crust at.

I think they are chances Stu, just ones we fluffed.  Well not "we" but them rather well played footballers we throw our hand earned crust at.

348230[/snapback]

Something we have to agree to disagree on thumbs-up.gif

Personally a chance is one that makes the keeper work or should have been on target/in the net - not hitting a player /completely missing the net/ overcrossed etc

Something we have to agree to disagree on  thumbs-up.gif

Personally a chance is one that makes the keeper work or should have been on target/in the net - not hitting a player /completely missing the net/ overcrossed etc

348239[/snapback]

Whereas I think a chance is getting the opportunity and having the chance to hit the net, or where our players are concerned, hit the corner flag.

Pictured from left to right - Waggy, Bellamy, Waggy Jnr, Waggy Snr.

user posted image

Looks like you've had a couple of pints Waggy - the VIP hospitality must have been good....  rover.gif

Bellamy nice and polite eh? 

He must be turning over a new leaf.

348205[/snapback]

rover.gif the picture was took before we had a drink blink.giftinykit.gif

Hughes is starting to worry me.

Wales supporters turned against him because of his inflexible and one-dimensional tactical approach and he appears to be going down the same path at Ewood.

347750[/snapback]

It's true, after Hughes took Wales to an excellent position at the top of their qualifying group the other teams worked them out and their one-dimensional approach failed them. Hughes was blamed as having no Plan B and played a 4-5-1 with Hartson as the man alone up front in the vital match at home against Russia, this despite having Earnshaw on the bench. The midfield could rarely get close enough to Hartson and so knocked long balls up to him. Admittedly Earnshaw did come on but many Wales fans believe Hughes must shoulder plenty of the blame for blowing their best chance of qualification for a decade.

We've seen Hughes can get us to play negative football but does he have a Plan B? 4-5-1 at home to a team below you? Newcastle may only have had three chances but at least they were good chances. We didn't have many. It's early in the season but still there are some worries. On the plus side however we have a better side and squad than last year. Just need more positivity, especially at homes against poor sides that are there for the taking.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Hughes cocked up today big time.  I thought playing players out of position was a Souey speciality. 

1. Bellamy is not a back to goal player, he needs to feed off a proper centre forward like Hartson or Shearer.  He will not suit a 4-5-1 formation.  Therefore given our current staff he should play link between midield and Kuqi.

2.  Reid is useless on the right wing.

3.  Bentley cocked the lot up.  Many on here viewed him as a saviour after the Bolton game but I've reserved judgement on him.  15 mins is not enough to provide an accurate assessment.  From what I saw today he needs to compete with Emerton for the right side place..... and that only.

Today we huffed and puffed but provided no consistent threat, and imo that was all that was needed to see the Mags cave in.  Riley spewed it for us by giving that free kick the wrong way, after that we were chasing the game.  Not our day as they say.  The Mags must feel that they are the luckiest team in the country.

347785[/snapback]

Quite right. Bellamy is no target man so why punt long balls up to him?

Reid isn't a winger so if we play him on the right then really in essence we are playing with four (?) central midfielders, albeit one playing more like an old-fashioned Inside Right.

As for the game itself...did Hughes smash a mirror AND run over a black cat on the way to the game? Unfortunately it shows how a couple of good strikers always gives you a chance.

It's true, after Hughes took Wales to an excellent position at the top of their qualifying group the other teams worked them out and their one-dimensional approach failed them. Hughes was blamed as having no Plan B and played a 4-5-1 with Hartson as the man alone up front in the vital match at home against Russia, this despite having Earnshaw on the bench. The midfield could rarely get close enough to Hartson and so knocked long balls up to him. Admittedly Earnshaw did come on but many Wales fans believe Hughes must shoulder plenty of the blame for blowing their best chance of qualification for a decade.

We've seen Hughes can get us to play negative football but does he have a Plan B? 4-5-1 at home to a team below you? Newcastle may only have had three chances but at least they were good chances.

348352[/snapback]

No-one really picked up on this but I thought that from a defensive point of view, the Newcastle goals were all disasters.

The wall was incredibly poor for Shearer's free-kick.

How could such a small striker out-jump 2 central strikers?

Who was supposed to be marking the young lad for the 3rd goal?

The wall was incredibly poor for Shearer's free-kick.

How could such a small striker out-jump 2 central strikers?

Who was supposed to be marking the young lad for the 3rd goal?

348455[/snapback]

Reid was the most central of the players rushing to close down Shearer's shot, but he turned his back

How indeed

Who indeed. Plus the lad was able to make Brad look a novice as Brad just stood there and waited for him (just like Liverpool last year), rather than taking the initiative and forcing the play.

I don't think we would have scored any of those chances

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.