BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 Newcastle 3

American

Geordie at work said he was amazed at the formation we played and if we were to play 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 if you like then Bellamy shouldn't have been the lone man. He admitted that they were extremely fortunate but I think luck doesn't come into it when the options on the bench are amnesia man and the cart horse. I swear Kuqi tried to control the ball in the area and it rebounded for a throw in.

I said at the time of Souness leaving that what finally turned me against him was the style of football. I will actually accept losing if i've seen a bit of decent football. Last season was fair enough for me but no more. I won't pay to watch crap football played by crap players. It's that straightforward really.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, some of the over-reactions on here are frightening.

348044[/snapback]

6 games gone, and with the position we're in, they're not really over-reactions.

3 goals in 9 hours of football, and we haven't even played a decent team yet.

Carry on at this rate of scoring and we'll end the season having bagged 19 goals in the league.

There's plenty of time to fix it, but with Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea on the horizon next month, the fixtures against West Brom and Birmingham are already must win games.

And if Hughes sends the team out with the same system and mentality as the last two games, then Rovers will really struggle to take any points against anyone.

David Thompson gave an interesting interview last season when he said under Hughes he could express himself as he always had to hold this position. He said he did not mind because it benefited the team.

Souness (the tactical magician) referred to it after the game. "They are hard to play against because their players don't move out of position".

We need to get the balance right and that's exactly what Hughes said after the game. However, his track record with Wales suggests he is one dimensional in his approach to tactics.

The facts of the matter are:

We played what was probably the worst opposition in the premier league and got stuffed.

The level of creativity in the midfield was poor and with the exception of the Fulham game has been poor all season.

The contribution from the "wide" players with the exception of Pederson's in the Fulham game has been negligible all season.

Our most consistently creative player game for game has been Neil at full back probably to the detriment of his defensive duties.

If we are to change the 4-5-1 system, which I don't think for a moment Mr Hughes will for the next two premiership matches then I suggest

1] Tugay must play to give us some creativity, probably instead of Savage

2] He only plays one "wide" player with one on the bench from Pederson, Reid and Emerton.

3] He plays two out and out forwards being Bellamy and one from Kuqi and Dickov.

4] Jansen is given a free role behind the two forwards.

5] He sticks with the existing defence with Matteo preferred to Gresko and keeps Mokoena in the midfield holding role.

6] The bench will then consist of Enkleman, Savage, Bentley, Todd and one wide player.

It's a constructive post and doesn't reflect the degree of ###### offedness I felt having lost 0-3 to a team that was as bad as that on Sunday.

6 games gone, and with the position we're in, they're not really over-reactions.

3 goals in 9 hours of football, and we haven't even played a decent team yet.

Carry on at this rate of scoring and we'll end the season having bagged 19 goals in the league.

There's plenty of time to fix it,

348064[/snapback]

Tris, I think that demonstrates they are over reactions, weve got talk of relegation and disaster. Perhaps it will develop into that discussion later in the season, after Easter? Or even if thing go badly, but a handful of games in? Clearly a knee jerk reaction to a game where we were the better team but failed to capitalise.

I was gutted. I work at a University and was chatting to a recently arrived Geordie who spotted the badge on my jacket, he came an apologised for "mugging us". That sums yesterday up for me.

Tris, I think that demonstrates they are over reactions, weve got talk of relegation and disaster.  Perhaps it will develop into that discussion later in the season, after Easter? Or even if thing go badly, but a handful of games in?  Clearly a knee jerk reaction to a game where we were the better team but failed to capitalise.

I was gutted.  I work at a University and was chatting to a recently arrived Geordie who spotted the badge on my jacket, he came an apologised for "mugging us".  That sums yesterday up for me.

348068[/snapback]

Ahh good, someone else wore their Rovers top at uni today, I felt so alone. I saw a few Geordie fans, one mentioned to me how the support of Rovers has steeply declined in the past few years, and asked what was going on. I couldn't answer.

Bloody awful ! Mediocre players getting paid miles over the odds for their limited ability.

Bentley - too slow. Reid - where the hell is he playing. Kuqi - cant control a ball to save his life. Jansen - skilful before his accident but sorry Matt you have lost it for the premiership. Savage - the original headless chicken. Neill - positional sense, well he has'nt got one. Gresko - average and thats being kind. Emerton - frustratingly inept. The list quite frankly is endless.

I'm sorry but for what the working man is asked to pay to watch this drivel is nothing short of daylight robbery and for a night match it's nightlight robbery!

Funny how the Souness haters aren't worried about us right now coughscottycough, but last season, while in the relegation zone it was doom and gloom for them...

348088[/snapback]

"Souness hater"? I've never hated the man, in fact I quite like him, I just thought his time was up. I think the job Hughes did last season proved me right as well but I guess you'd never admit that.

The reason I thought Souness's time was up was that I didn't think he had the capability to turn the team's fortunes around. I'm still optimistic that Hughes can. Six games into a season, especially following a season where, imo, Hughes did brilliantly, is far, far too early to judge anything.

Edited by Scotty

Thank ferk you lot weren't around in 14-18 or 39-45.......... we'd all be speaking german now!

I'm concerned about our lack of goals but imo Kuqi playing target man with either Dickov and Bellamy playing off him should have enough goals in them to guarantee Prem footy next year. If our wide men are not providing enough service then we'll have to drop one and play more direct football wont we?

If the worst happens and we do get relegated then we'll simply cease to defy gravity and be back where we belong given the size of our town and the level and potential of our support. The amount of folk whingeing on here who declare their intention to stay away and watch from some pub bar will simply speed up the process. The marvellous Jack Walker years will be over, At least I'll die thankfull that I was lucky enough to have witnessed them, but as I've said before this apathy and bitterness is nothing new it is simply history repeating itself. The decline of support now and the attitude of the supporters however irrational is so reminiscent of the decline in the in the 60's that almost lead to the demise of the club.

I just hope some kid standing on the Blackurn end with the bitter sting of tears in his eyes after seeing his hero's humbled by the Mags manages to build a steel empire.

Bloody awful ! Mediocre players getting paid miles over the odds for their limited ability.

Bentley -  too  slow. Reid - where the hell is he playing. Kuqi - cant control a ball to save his life. Jansen - skilful before his accident but sorry Matt you have lost it for the premiership. Savage - the original headless chicken. Neill - positional sense, well he has'nt got one. Gresko - average and thats being kind. Emerton - frustratingly inept. The list quite frankly is endless.

I'm sorry but for what the working man is asked to pay to watch this drivel is nothing short of daylight robbery and for a night match it's nightlight robbery!

348074[/snapback]

so with these players that you mention, what would you do? if you are one of those men who are paying to watch this drivel, as you say....then there is a simple solution, don't go anymore then. it really is as simple as that!

Tris, I think that demonstrates they are over reactions, weve got talk of relegation and disaster.  Perhaps it will develop into that discussion later in the season, after Easter? Or even if thing go badly, but a handful of games in?  Clearly a knee jerk reaction to a game where we were the better team but failed to capitalise.

I was gutted.  I work at a University and was chatting to a recently arrived Geordie who spotted the badge on my jacket, he came an apologised for "mugging us".  That sums yesterday up for me.

348068[/snapback]

I think some of the posts are indeed over-reactions however we can't bury our heads in the sand. Many on this board, myself included, accepted last season but were hoping for much better football this time around. Sadly this hasn't been the case and with the fixtures we have coming up we probably can't afford to have a go at teams. We therefore have to be realisitc about the prospect of another long struggle and what it will do to the crowds.

There simply don't appear to be goals in this team and the problem from last year has not been addressed. In the games against Spurs & Newcastle, we fairly dominated but both keepers were relatively under-worked. That has to be a worry. Similarly Hughes doesn't appear confident with his team at present. Tugay played the last 2 home games but then dropped this time, Jansen out,in,out, same with Kuqi. You talk about over-reactions but that lad was dropped after 3 games.

It's not a crisis of course but it is very worrying, certainly more for the style of football that we are going to have to play as much as anything.

Unlike many on here - I do believe that there is goals in our current squad of players.

The worst thing that happened was our capitulation against West Ham on the opening day - it made Hughes doubt the ability of players at his disposal to play a 4-4-2 formation.

What interests me - was the dropping of Kuqi to the bench. I am not going to pre-judge this - as he could have been carrying a slight knock after internationl duty - but in the days of the SAS we defended from the front. Kuqi offers us this - and with Bellamy will be enough of a handful for any defence. Better times could be just around the corner - but I fear that the crowds won't return even then.

Thank ferk you lot weren't around in 14-18 or 39-45.......... we'd all be speaking german now!

348097[/snapback]

It's just a good job we didn't use the 4-5-1 formation. "Now we take Berlin Gentlemen! Go on Bellers, on your own son"

We'll have a better idea of what this season entails after 10 games. That's normally the best way of judging. I'm not going to repeat everything that I've already put on the "Gates" thread but the most disappointing thing for me was the use of the lone striker against a team that was clearly low on confidence and there for the taking. The reluctance to deploy two strikers and out and out attacking football is a massive turn off and a big worry.

Anyway, 4-5-1 tomorrow night and we win 5-0. I'll get me coat.

We were spoilt into this collective state of deep ingratitude by the glory days. Due to our finances we are now simply the milleniums answer to the Soton or Coventry of the eighties and nineties. So dont be too disgruntled cos I bet they'd swop with us. Not to mention LUFC, Sheff Wed, Forest, Leicester etc etc!

God only knows how Oldham and Swindon feel........ but we might find out!

Don't worry though you kids out there if we do succumb to the forces of gravity......... it'll be a character building experience for you and give you an advantage in later life thats perrenially denied to the likes of MU and Arsenal supporters.

Edited by thenodrog

I'm concerned about our lack of goals but imo Kuqi playing target man with either Dickov and Bellamy playing off him should have enough goals in them to guarantee Prem footy next year.  If our wide men are not providing enough service then we'll have to drop one and play more direct football wont we?

If the worst happens and we do get relegated then we'll simply cease to defy gravity and be back where we belong given the size of our town and the level and potential of our support.  The amount of folk whingeing on here who declare their intention to stay away and watch from some pub bar will simply speed up the process.  The marvellous Jack Walker years will be over, At least I'll die thankfull that I was lucky enough to have witnessed them, but as I've said before this apathy and bitterness is nothing new it is simply history repeating itself.  The decline of support now and the attitude of the supporters however irrational is so reminiscent of the decline in the in the 60's that almost lead to the demise of the club.

I just hope some kid standing on the Blackurn end with the bitter sting of tears in his eyes after seeing his hero's humbled by the Mags manages to build a steel empire.

348097[/snapback]

Well said Theno. Reading the majority of the posts above inevitably makes you think that today's generation are "f***ing good kids at dishing it out when all the odds are in their favour, but you wont see them for dust if there is even the remotest threat to them." Transpose this into a football scenario as you and I have both witnessed over the yeas at Ewood and you will get the gist.

Thank fgerman erk you lot weren't around in 14-18 or 39-45.......... we'd all be speaking now!

I'm concerned about our lack of goals but imo Kuqi playing target man with either Dickov and Bellamy playing off him should have enough goals in them to guarantee Prem footy next year. If our wide men are not providing enough service then we'll have to drop one and play more direct football wont we?

rover.gif thank god you don't pick the team KUQI laugh.giftinykit.gif

Unlike many on here - I do believe that there is goals in our current squad of players.

The worst thing that happened was our capitulation against West Ham on the opening day - it made Hughes doubt the ability of players at his disposal to play a 4-4-2 formation.

I'd agree with that, if we'd have got off to a flier with a 4-4-2, who knows, things might be a bit more rosier and Hughes a lot more confident in using it.

May be worth trying it again against Huddersfield, or at least, attempting something that resembles a positive attacking system, rather than a formation designed to snuffle out and shut down the opposition, then we may start to see some goals in the For column at last.

Not sure whether this have been mentioned, didn't bother to read through these pages of misery - but young Steven Taylor blames Bellamy for getting him his second yellow..

Pretty pathetic really, even though it was a cheap 2nd yellow - the dumb fecker was asking for it all game through. He clearly didn't manage to handle Bellamy, and should've been sent off earlier when Bellamy went past him on the right side.

"Hey, Steven.. you know that red card? I have an idea! Blame Lady Luck!! Or.. no, I've done that already. Blame Bellamy then!!"

Newcastle Champions(hip)!

Edited by herbergeehh

TND - Think you'll find most of those you called 'whingeing' where around way before the great man himself stepped in.

What people are expressing is their concerns, all of which have been heard before because there was great worry at the time of previous discussions - Hughes came in and steadied the ship but yet again we appear to be going backwards instead of forwards.

As I mentioned last season about us only carrying on so far with the negative tactics (much as I what I said about Souness last resort tactics) we are still doing it - and as Cheeky Siders (I think) has said - the 4-5-1 might have made us harder to beat and saved us last season, it has not stopped us from losing (why can't friggin managers see this?)

Scotty, that one liner post is probably the most useless post I have read from you on here and your posts are normally the most balanced, I suggest you read MB post above (You know each other don't you laugh.gif ) because I think you have fell into the rut of the 4-5-1 system.

Personally, I feel we have got the players (bar 1) to get something from this season but with the style we are adopting at the moment we have no chance.

I am not into all this tactical rubbish, football is about winning or trying to a t least and until we wake up and realise this the only way we are going is down.

This is how I see it:-

Friedal/Neill (only beacuse nobody else)Todd/Nelsen/Tugay/Bellamy/ Pedersen/Bentley (if played on the right) are must starters when fit- Matteo at LB if only for continuity (IMO he has done ok) and we adopt the 442 home and away regardless.

If we get beat we get beat - but I bet a pound to a dollar we would get more points this way rather than what we are adopting at the moment as well as making it more pleasing to the eye of the fans.

-------GK-------

RB CB CB LB

-------CM------

-------STR------

(BACKBONE)

Continuity and balance with players in their normal positions with a recognisable backbone - what should be the foundations for any team.

There was a good point earlier (forgot who mentioned it at the moment) - but instead of all the fancy gadgets how about Hughes getting the team to learn how to pass/move/control/shoot/take freekicks -it beggars belief that these are things the fans can see we are very poor at yet somehow the people that matter can't.

Worrying result and worrying performance.

Loosing 0-3 to a team who's own form has been poor and who we dominated for an hour, needs addressing. We will more or less have had our strongest team out on Sunday, no aces up the sleeves, or transfers until JAN.

The solution therefore lies in Hughes' man management and coaching skills. On the whole we all back Hughes and therefore must trust him to turn it round.

We, the supporters, can also play a part by being positive and giving the team full backing. Despite reduced numbers this season, the support has been good, made plenty of noise and got behind the team.

So lets keep it up.

When the going gets tough, and all that tinykit.gif

Just to go totally off subject here has antone else noticed the striking resemblance between Shefki Kuqi and Al Bundy off Married With Children?

Although I believe Al is a better finisher.

348161[/snapback]

Is he still doing that one-eyed bird off of Futurama?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.