SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 Newcastle 3

American

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have absolutely no cutting edge up front, none whatsoever. No threat in the 18-yard box.

Newcastle weren't much better despite the 50 mill that they've spent. They weren't an individual team, they were a team of individuals. And it's they who should be villified as the bully-boys, they should've been down to 10 before they scored.

Our strikers still haven't scored. Jansen played OK, so I am hoping for a miracle and he comes back to form after 2.5 years.

Do you win the Texaco Cup for drinking a pint of the stuff?

Batten down the hatches because we are in trouble. Again.

we cannot hope to play 4-5-1 and win not against most sides.

if we need five in the middle of the park them you have to play 3-5-2 which I for one think it will work. Neil can play both defence and attack and reid is the same place those two outwide as half backs and have three center halfs and three in the middle with two up front. If we are under pressure the wing back can play more as full backs, if we are on top more as wingers.

If we have this format we will be ok if not 4-5-1 means no one is up front if we play 4-4-2 the midfield is over run so come lets give it a go and play a 3-5-2 it cannot be worse then the pattrem we have now huh.gif

It's no wonder the attendaces are so bad, were playing crap, long ball football to a small striker who has lots of pace, yes that makes sense. Reid doesn't offer any width but it's still a good idea to play him wide on the right. Savage creates ###### all but for some reason is in the side ahead of Tugay.

Newcastle are very very average at best, yet we still sit off them and look happy to keep it at nil all for as long as possible. If wehad played 4-4-2 we would have played alot more attacking probly scored goals and sent the fans home happy.

In the after match interview Hughes said we didn't have a good enough defensive platform with which to work from, so i take it we'll be going 5-5-0 next week, taking away the tiny amount of entertainment there is in our home games and making the club a complete laughing stock.

Although it's still early in the season i haven't seen anybody worse than Rovers except for Sunderland. We are ok at the back most of the time, incredibly poor in midfield with no creativity or quality (with the exception of Tugay every now and again) Upfront we have no chance because the ball never gets there along the floor!

Kuqi is the only striker that makes Ashley Ward look world class. Hughes talks utter crap and needs to play more attacking if we want any chance of getting anywhere near 40 points.

We are in for a long hard season, probably with disappointment at the end of it.

Edited by Rovers_4_life

Hughes: "We were quite comfortable, the more likely team to win. We have to learn quickly we can't have off days, too many players weren't at their best."

'Weren't at their best' - are you kidding me!!! Too many players were bl00dy awful is a better phrase to use.

Off days I can handle, every team has them but the total capitulation following the first goal was ridiculous.

And how is it that when you look at the stats after games involving Rovers this season (and a far bit of last year too) the final score doesn't seem to reflect the apparent dominance in chances that we have. So we've bought a couple of strikers, but unless they make the onion bag bulge then what use are they!!!

Question: Which Rovers striker is going through the best form at the moment??

Answer: A young Scot who's not even in our squad...Paul Gallacher.

mad.gif

So let's review:

-Shearer's first goal of the season and his first for 17 games.

-Owen's first goal of the season and his first for his new club.

-Newcastle's first win of the season.

-Another game without a goal.

Quite an active day for Rover's checklist of calamity then.

As usual we lacked creativity and cutting edge. This was strange as we had both Bentley and Bellamy on the field but our woefully inept midfield continually by-passed Bentley and continually lumped it into Bellamy. These were thoroughly ridiculous tactics considering Bentley needs the ball to feet and Bellamy is neither a target man nor a lone striker.

Of course all of the above disasters were going to happen, I'm just surprised it took so long. That doesn't make it okay though. It's no wonder the fans are departing this abomination in droves, the thought of paying to see so dire a spectacle fills me with dread and I don't even get over for the games.

Sort it out Hughes.

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

Edited by Rovermatt

Dickovs tally of around 10 last season looks blimmin respectable! I think them figures of how many our strikers were going to score this season needs rethinking. If we do look as if were getting embroiled in a dog fight, then he will revert to becoming even more defensive as was the case last season when we climbed the table. Just think if somebody had told us before the start of the season that Darren Bent would have two more goals than our entire team after six games then he would've been whisked up in a white jacket.

Either Rovers 3-0 Geordies & Souness gets sacked straight after, or we'll lose 3-0 & Hughes is sacked...

347544[/snapback]

Guess it's time for Hughes to go then?

Seriously, we could have beat them easily. Newcastle were mostly rubbish but took the few chances they had very well. A painful reminder of how pitifully ineffective Rovers are when it comes to actually scoring.

Maybe Mark Hughes could consider a less conservative approach sometimes. Fact is, it probably wouldn't work anyway, considering the poor technical ability of the squad in general. They're best suited to a scrappy 5-4-1 and relying on sheer dumb luck to score a goal. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try though, if we want to rise above that.

At least no one will be pinning this one on Emerton. Or Matteo. Or Dickov. Or Amoruso. Or Souness.

Verdict:

Newcastle....poorest of the 3 visiting teams we`ve had at Ewood so far.

Rovers outplayed Newcastle up until the Shearer free kick, then it all went tits up.

How we lost 0-3, i`ll never know huh.gif

Today,Rovers couldn`t score in a brothel with a tenner sellotaped to their knobs!

On a lighter note.

Funniest bit of the day...when Newcastle were doing their pre-game warm-up, a bloke near me at the front of the Riverside shouted "Saunders!! Do you know what you`re doing?" all the Newcastle players were trying to hide their smirks. The guy went on to shout "Alan Shearer! Don`t listen to Saunders, he`s rubbish!!"

In all fairness, they all had a laugh about it (even Saunders).

We hit absolute rock bottom today, worse than the four -nil canings by Boro and Chelsea last season, I felt sorry for the sponsors having to pick a man of the match!

It's the same old problems ,we're slow out of the traps, we allow teams to play themselves in, the tempo is always pre season friendly standard, our shape is none existent in midfield, nobody seems to get forward and attack the spaces beyond our strikers, we very rarelyget behind teams, we're always playing in front of the opposition, players up field are taking the ball standing still instead of on the move- I could go on and on but to put it in a nutshell we play like a poorly coached team!

We don't play in units, the midfield give minimal support to both attack and defence.

As to players , Lucas Neill dived into a stupid foul straight from the kick-off and stupidly gave away a dangerous free kick when he was in a heading contest with the 5ft-6in Micheal Owen.

If we needed any more proof that Steven Reid is not a wide player today was it.

Robbie Savage is a massive liability and is preventing us having a real shape in mid-field.

Pedersen doesn't get in the game enough and doesn't impose him self on the opposition.

Kuqi can trap it further than I can kick it and although he's obviously a trier he's not going to make it at this level.

I came away today fuming,what would Newcastle's first string midfield do to us,that lot today was the reserves ! Dangerous waters for the team and Mark Huges, that was relegation form today!

We have been beaten by a very poor Newcastle side. A side we out played for an hour.

However, they had Shearer and Owen we had Bellamy (clearly lacking match fitness) and little else.

The goalscoring problem has not been fixed.

Man U next.

mad.gifsad.gif

In the summer Mark Hughes and John Williams promised a more attacking approach. Today was the first time this season we've been at home with both new signings fit. We are up against a team ravaged by injuries and desperately low on confidence that have only 1 point and 1 goal all season. Why are we still playing 1 bloody striker !!! Obviously it is our intention to carry on in this method because two backup strikers in Gallacher and Derbyshire are loaned out for the season.

Today we were the better side beaten because the other side had better strikers. Two better strikers. Say what you like about Souness but until he fell out with them at least he had an attacking side. We dominated a game but apart from set pieces struggled to create proper chances. However, it took not one goal but two before we introduced the second striker.

20,900 on with probably about 3,500 from Newcastle again leaves only 17,400 home fans. Sure it's on TV blah blah blah but it's frustrating. If we aren't going to attack a team at home today when are we going to attack one?

We've played the last 3 games like relegation certs, hardly created a chance worthy of the name.

Hughes needs to sit everyone down and have a long hard chat about where things are going wrong because things seem to be turning full circle back to where we were under Souness. Last season we performed well until we were safe then it was a case of couldn't care less. This season has never really got going and were it not for Tugay's thunderbolt v Fulham we'd already be cast adrift with 3 points from 6 games.

Today was the most depressing display for a long time. Newcastle were pathetic themselves but ran out comfortable 3-0 winners.

We've created next to nothing (again). Hughes has again erred too far on the side of caution IMO by starting with a 4-5-1 and Mokoena at home instead of Tugay.

Neill clearly has learnt nothing whatsoever from his previous indiscretions, a ridiculous lunge after 90 seconds to earn yet another yellow, and a stupid challenge on Owen leading to the first goal.

Was speaking to thenodrog after the game and he rightly pointed out that playing with his back to goal doesn't suit Bellamy at all. As poorly as Kuqi has played it seems that Bellers will have to play off him or nothing. The system was working well in the first half at West Ham.

Bright spots? Good individual displays from Savage and Zurab although I'm not sure who was meant to be marking Owen for the 2nd.

That's a grain in a sandstorm though, at the moment other than Sunderland every other side in the League seems to be playing much better than we are.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

I'm way past being angry just disappointed, despondent and depressed. I really thought we'd win this one.

Stats on here suggest Rovers 21 shots, Newcastle 4. Don't be fooled apart from the two first half free kicks and Jansen's header kicked off the line we did not create a single scoring opportunity. Where Sky have found another 18 shots from I don't know - perhaps they're on a bonus from JW to help fill the ground?

This is the worst Newcastle United side I've seen at Ewood and we couldn't beat them. We didn't dominate for 60 minutes as some suggest, we just huffed and puffed around the pitch because Newcastle are so dreadful. This is a team just asking to be beaten and we lost 0-3.

The bloke next to me had come from Ireland with his lad, the next father had brought his son for the first time. Both stumped up £42 for the pleasure.

You can forget Wednesday lads, I've got better things to do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.