BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 Newcastle 3

American

there is only one way to describe todays inept performance

F££££££ S^^^

I have never been so despondent after a performance of my team.

to blame

Hughes for his 4-5-1 formation

newcastle were there for the taking, we missed the chance and now find ourselves in the bototm 3.

from today its a relegation abttle

Rovers do not deserve the title of Premiership Team

we were f****** AWFUL at best sad.gif

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've (almost) had nothing but respect for Hughes the past year, but when I saw the formation today, I knew it would backfire... And you're right jim mk2 - he's starting to worry me too.

I'm sorry to repeat myself, but there is NO REASON whatsoever to play Mokoena from the start. Aside from the 451-travesty, that was Hughes biggest mistake today. The Axe is just not good enough to perform at this level. Sure - if where up 2-0, bring him on by all means, and make him put an end to the other sides attacks...

..... 4-4-2.... please... Jansen-Bellamy up front. .... Tugay in CM

Edited by DamienTC

Quote on Sky backs up pauls arguement, Hughes said "If either of them free kicks had gone in, we could have won comfortably. "

Just sums up our chances really, proving that them 21 shots were probably crosses or lose balls. We're just like Everton last year we rely on set pieces or a freak chance to get goals, but with one exception...they won alot of games.

I mentioned it earlier, but when was the last time we went behind and pulled level?

have to feel a bit for the stirkers, Hughes is not giving them much chance up front alone.

i wonder how many goals have been scored by strikers the whole of this year for Blackburn, i would bet i could count them on both hands, maybe one hand

We didn't play as bad as the score makes out.

For a good 50/60minutes we played ok, got at Newcastle.

We didn't take our chances, missed a player up at top moving around, I would have had Kuqi up there with Bellamy, there's no point knocking the ball up to Bellamy because he's too small to win it and no point with Jansen up there as I can't see him doing it.

Newcastle took their chances when they had to, we didn't.

Next home game, 4-4-2.

The best I could hope for when I saw the formation was a 0-0 draw. I guess I wasn't prepared for how shockingly bad Newcastle were but that formation was never going to produce anything.

It might work with say, a John Hartson up front but Bellamy is never going to make much of punted balls from Neill at throat height. He made the most of a hard job but ultimately that wasn't much. I dispute the fact that we even played well for the first hour. We didn't create any noteworthy chances, there was no fluid passing. The first hour merely comprised of us punting the ball up the field and Newcastle heading it back.

Our formation and tactics need to change or we'll score about as many goals as Chelsea will let in this season and that might end up as single figures sad.gif

Full strength team for Wednesday Mr. Hughes, 4-4-2 and the team should include Pedersen and Bentley in midfield and Bellamy and Jansen up front. If that means dropping Savage or Reid or whoever so be it. We need to get some confidence in our attacking play quickly or we're completely doomed.

I still doubt we will be relegation material as I think we will beat the bottom sides just as we did Fulham once we get going.

But its disappointing to be involved around 15-16th, when with certain changes we could possibly be around 6-8.

347768[/snapback]

Certain changes! We need a completely new midfield, another decent striker (Kuqi - don't make me laugh!) and a manager thats willing to play exciting attacking football. Were in for yet another relegation battle, one which we are already behind in.

------------Friedel--------------

Neill - Nelsen - Zura - Gresko

-----------Savage--------------

Reid ------Tugay--------Gamst

------Bellamy----Jansen-------

Could work. Tugay can play it in the channels to both strikers. As mentioned many times - long balls are sh*te with our small pacey attackers. We saw glimpses of Bellamy's pace today. Use the channels, please. Almost every centrehalf in the premiership are big, strong men who are superb in the air. We should make runs between the tree trunk-ish legs.

Bentley is an excellent player sub for Tugay, when the old man's spend for the day.

Savage has absolutely no attacking abilities (no flair, no passing skills, no creativity). Make him a defensive midfield, and make him stay at home most of the time except at set pieces. Let Neill and Gresko go forward instead - they both have flair, drive and can pass....

It should work. Frankly, I can't see why we don't try it on Old Trafford as well...

Good old Rovers, always the fall guys.

Newcastle's first win of the season, Owen's first goal for the club and Shearer scores his usual goal at Ewood (and first of the season).

Pathetic, Hughes.

347717[/snapback]

Don't be so personal Jim you welcomed MH's appointment if I rem correctly. Anyway beggar that..........when do we play Sunderland? sad.gif

Hughes cocked up today big time. I thought playing players out of position was a Souey speciality.

1. Bellamy is not a back to goal player, he needs to feed off a proper centre forward like Hartson or Shearer. He will not suit a 4-5-1 formation. Therefore given our current staff he should play link between midield and Kuqi.

2. Reid is useless on the right wing.

3. Bentley cocked the lot up. Many on here viewed him as a saviour after the Bolton game but I've reserved judgement on him. 15 mins is not enough to provide an accurate assessment. From what I saw today he needs to compete with Emerton for the right side place..... and that only.

Today we huffed and puffed but provided no consistent threat, and imo that was all that was needed to see the Mags cave in. Riley spewed it for us by giving that free kick the wrong way, after that we were chasing the game. Not our day as they say. The Mags must feel that they are the luckiest team in the country.

• Backroom

Mike Riley is a tosser mad.gif

They scored their first from a free-kick that never was.. their second was a header from the smallest player on the pitch, and from where I was sat in the JW upper, their third was offside !!!

(waits to be shot down in flames)

What the f**k is this 4-5-1 at home all about?? Come on Hughes..... sort it out !!!!.. you wonder why attendances are falling at home? take a good long hard look at today.. that should give some idea !!

I dont remember seeing Brad make a save, apart from Owen putting the ball wide in the first half, they were nothing til they scored, but us playing Bellamy up front on his own is crazy especially in a home game againsyt a team that are struggling and have their first choice midfield out.

For christ sake Mark 4 4 2 at home, whats the point in having 4 strikers at the club if we only use 1.

If this get men behind the ball continues at home games then the crowds will stay away in bigger numbers. Next 3 home league games nothing to bring the casual fan in WBA Charlton and Birmingham. Might be a few extra through the gate for the Brum match just to see how Savage handles the Blue nose fans.

The Sunderland match is Boxing Day, cant recall the last time we did well against the Mackem to dont get excited about that game, the law of averages says it could be Sunderlands first win in the top flight for.............

Edited by sausagemandog

Mike Riley is a tosser  mad.gif

They scored their first from a free-kick that never was.. their second was a header from the smallest player on the pitch, and from where I was sat in the JW upper, their third was offside !!!

(waits to be shot down in flames)

What the f**k is this 4-5-1 at home all about?? Come on Hughes..... sort it out !!!!.. you wonder why attendances are falling at home? take a  good long hard look at today.. that should give some idea !!

347786[/snapback]

1. It was a free kick, Neill tried to jump through/on Owen.

2. Don't think we can blame the ref for Nelsen not marking out Owen, can we?

3. I'm sorry, but he was onside by at least a yard or two.

Riley wasn't great but the one thing I can fault him for was for not sending Taylor off earlier. He clearly held Bellamy back by his shirt while already on a yellow card. Holding should mean an automatic booking. Riley did send him off for this but only when they were 2-0 up.

The problem with 4-4-2 is that we get outplayed in the midfield against most Premiership teams because we don't have the centre midfielders to play it. It was only after Ferguson was sold that Hughes started playing it regularly. He obviously intended to play 4-4-2 this season because he played it in the friendlies and on the opening day against West Ham, a game in which we were outplayed in centre midfield. The reason was because he played two "headless chickens" in centre midfield (Savage and Reid) and Benayoun kept on coming in from the right to almost act as a third central midfielder for West Ham. In order for us to use 4-4-2 effectively we need to play a sitting player like Mokoena or Tugay alongside Reid or Savage. We could also probably do with Thompson of old on the right wing. The right hand side of a 4-4-2, cutting inside when needed was where he played his best games for us. The main reason for his poor performances at the end of last season was that he was isolated on the right of a 5 man midfield when he's not an out and out winger.

The problem with 4-4-2 is that we get outplayed in the midfield against most Premiership teams because we don't have the centre midfielders to play it. It was only after Ferguson was sold that Hughes started playing it regularly. He obviously intended to play 4-4-2 this season because he played it in the friendlies and on the opening day against West Ham, a game in which we were outplayed in centre midfield. The reason was because he played two "headless chickens" in centre midfield (Savage and Reid) and Benayoun kept on coming in from the right to almost  act as a third central midfielder for West Ham. In order for us to use 4-4-2 effectively we need to play a sitting player like Mokoena or Tugay alongside Reid or Savage. We could also probably do with Thompson of old on the right wing. The right hand side of a 4-4-2, cutting inside when needed was where he played his best games for us. The main reason for his poor performances at the end of last season was that he was isolated on the right of a 5 man midfield when he's not an out and out winger.

347791[/snapback]

Nice post thumbs-up.gif

i guess ROVERS provide the most boring football in the entire premiership. juz like school kids playing. no creativty is a killer!!!!!!!! wonder how long can tugay be backing rovers.

SHOVE KUQI & SAVAGE aside!!!!!!!!!!!! absolutely headless chickens. SAVAGE=hardwoorking but no class

KUQI= is he a striker? or is he the 5th official? a total flop!

and last bit not least.............. i miss the days when duff and dunn and matt ( at top form ) was playing!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.