BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Scotland, Hahaha

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if you didn't always go on about how crappy England is and how great Germany is you wouldn't get so much sh*t...

352544[/snapback]

Germany isnt so great anymore, im well aware of that mate. We have home advantage and a world class midfield but thats about it. Both our first choice keepers are past it, the forward line has no strength in depth and the defence is inexperienced.

I can well see why the scots and the english fans disagree, with some of the tripe i've seen on the front pages of the Sun, the Mirror and indeed the Record every time WM/EM tournaments come round, especially if the France, Germany or Argentina happens to be the opposition. You'd think the country was at war.

On the same subject, have any of you guys read a book called Ingerland? Interesting reading, forget the name of the author.

They are all the same aren't they Abs.  They all bad mouth the English but they all still live there

352626[/snapback]

not by choice, when i can afford it ill be offski! And bad mouth the country thats (rather generously) paying for my education, no chance! But the hooligans, media and football team are fair game, and areall possibly involved in some sort of satanistic plot to rule the earth....

Edited by andy82

my sentiments exactly - i posted a similar post to yours last night and somehow it got deleted by the moderators - obvisouly because i was nearing the truth that the majority of people on this board have something against scottish people .

I'd just like to point out that this isn't what I was implying at all.

But I'm mystified by the prevailent view of the English people posting in this thread, which seems to be:

Scots gloat over England defeat = bitter Jocks

Engs gloat over Scotland defeat = getting it up those bitter Jocks

Nice and balanced, eh? rolleyes.gif

Im currently living up in Scotland and found this match hugely amusing. My scottish friends were saying how they believed Scotland were on the cusp of something special lol, and then they go and lose to Belarus. My Scottish room mate took some serious stick!

As opposed to the constant sniping from Scotland any time England are mentioned ?. Come on now, if England did not exist, there would be no, or little, Scottish identity. How could a nationalist Scot define themself when there wouldn't be an English person to hate ?. Scotland has fine tradition in science and the arts, but other than Burns Night, it rarely gets celebrated by Scotland, whilst whinging and shouting at English people is more or less constant.

352533[/snapback]

I would not say that is true. Scotland probably has a more defined and celebrated heritage than England. They do not define themselves in opposition to us but rather try to protect their identity being swallowed by Britain, I am sure you would have a similar attitude about English culture if we joined a United States of European for a (hypothetical!) example.

What the major complaint seems to be is that the English are overbearing and obnoxious, and you have to say that seems to be borne out by this thread. You could substitute 'England' for 'Manchester United', and 'Blackburn Rovers' for 'Scotland' in some of these posts and you would have the exact replica of the arrogance we detest in Scum fans.

And as for all this 'little bitter country' stuff, it is true that smaller countries/teams feel threatened. Examine the relationship of England and the US or Blackburn and Man U for example.

Scotland have a bad team at the moment, but it is a cracking country and hopefully things will sort themselves out. They are very much my second team (I like Wales to do well too), and Scottish troops go out and spill blood not just for Scotland but for the Uk, as do English troops. For all the bickering, Scotland and Wales are our closest allies and friends in this world. To think anything other is ridiculous.

As opposed to the constant sniping from Scotland any time England are mentioned ?. Come on now, if England did not exist, there would be no, or little, Scottish identity. How could a nationalist Scot define themself when there wouldn't be an English person to hate ?. Scotland has fine tradition in science and the arts, but other than Burns Night, it rarely gets celebrated by Scotland, whilst whinging and shouting at English people is more or less constant.

352533[/snapback]

I would not say that is true. Scotland probably has a more defined and celebrated heritage than England. They do not define themselves in opposition to us but rather try to protect their identity being swallowed by Britain, I am sure you would have a similar attitude about English culture if we joined a United States of European for a (hypothetical!) example.

What the major complaint seems to be is that the English are overbearing and obnoxious, and you have to say that seems to be borne out by this thread. You could substitute 'England' for 'Manchester United', and 'Blackburn Rovers' for 'Scotland' in some of these posts and you would have the exact replica of the arrogance we detest in Scum fans.

And as for all this 'little bitter country' stuff, it is true that smaller countries/teams feel threatened. Examine the relationship of England and the US or Blackburn and Man U for example.

Scotland have a bad team at the moment, but it is a cracking country and hopefully things will sort themselves out. They are very much my second team (I like Wales to do well too), and Scottish troops go out and spill blood not just for Scotland but for the Uk, as do English troops. For all the bickering, Scotland and Wales are our closest allies and friends in this world. To think anything other is ridiculous.

I can well see why the scots and the english fans disagree, with some of the tripe i've seen on the front pages of the Sun, the Mirror and indeed the Record every time WM/EM tournaments come round, especially if the France, Germany or Argentina happens to be the opposition. You'd think the country was at war.

352627[/snapback]

Seen the back pages of "Das Bild"?

There's always going to be national rivalry. If you're childish, subscribe to it. If not, get the hell along.

That said I was watching England vs. Portugal last year in the village in India where the Dalai Lama lives, and the Tibetan monks were supporting Portugal... never have a group of people got so on my tits, I hate other nationalities celebrating the downfall of a country that isn't theirs

Seen the back pages of "Das Bild"?

352702[/snapback]

Bild is based on the english red tops (and its a load of crap, die Welt is much more on the ball) but its nowhere near as xenophobic when it comes to sport. In fact they don't really put a lot of sport in at all, as they put it in Sport Bild, and try not to alienate the readership by slagging teams as badly, be they countries or clubs. They currently have England down as one of the favourites i believe, above Germany. This week they appear to be giving more coverage to England and Hollands games than the defeat in Turkey, although i have yet to see a mention of that game in an english paper (yes, im well aware it was 'just' a friendly, but when you don't have qualifying you cant take friendlys at sven-pace). What did they say about the Slovakia defeat? Poor performance but well done slovakia. What did the sun say about the England win against Austria? They called for Svens head because it wasn't five nil.

Basically im full aware of the whining German sports press, but id much rather that than this countries heavily biased load of Man Utd supporting fools.

If there is an England vs Germany match next summer, i think i will be taking a trip to Edinbrough.

• Backroom
Guys, guys!

The British Isles should just combine into one super country.  Just imagine the teams you could put together!

352807[/snapback]

As long as they didn't include Barry Ferguson !

I tend to support any of the British teams and was in Scotland when they got defeated on Saturday afternoon. What amused (and saddened) me was that on BBC Scotland, their pundits were saying that they struggle because they're only a small country. Is that really true in comparison with others of similar size, such as Croatia (pop. 2005 estimate 4.45 million), Slovenia (pop. 2005 estimate 1.96 million), Norway (pop. 2005 estimate 4.6 million) and Slovakia (pop. 2005 estimate 5.38 million)? Mind you, we're pretty good at making excuses for the England squad when we need to...

The only time I feel like not supporting Scotland is when in the company of Scotland fans who go out of their way to support whoever is playing against England.

I tend to support any of the British teams and was in Scotland when they got defeated on Saturday afternoon.  What amused (and saddened) me was that on BBC Scotland, their pundits were saying that they struggle because they're only a small country.  Is that really true in comparison with others of similar size, such as Croatia (pop. 2005 estimate 4.45 million), Slovenia (pop. 2005 estimate 1.96 million), Norway (pop. 2005 estimate 4.6 million) and Slovakia (pop. 2005 estimate 5.38 million)?  Mind you, we're pretty good at making excuses for the England squad when we need to...

The only time I feel like not supporting Scotland is when in the company of Scotland fans who go out of their way to support whoever is playing against England.

352913[/snapback]

You've touched on a reason why a lot of Scots absolutely love to see England lose: the media. That is the one reason why I lean towards whoever you play. Nothing against the players, the fans, the people, the country, but the media seriously get on my tits.

....... on BBC Scotland, their pundits were saying that they struggle because they're only a small country.  Is that really true in comparison with others of similar size, such as Croatia (pop. 2005 estimate 4.45 million), Slovenia (pop. 2005 estimate 1.96 million), Norway (pop. 2005 estimate 4.6 million) and Slovakia (pop. 2005 estimate 5.38 million)?  Mind you, we're pretty good at making excuses for the England squad when we need to...

352913[/snapback]

Part of the problem is what the kids these days get up to in their spare time. When I was a lad from the age of six to sixteen, I kicked a ball around in the street with my mates and I bet most lads in the 60's and 70's did the same. Now, a significantly higher proportion of young lads seem intent on just hanging around street corners, looking threatening, dressed in their regulation "street gear." Aimlessly hanging around, nothing to do and nowhere to go, blaming everyone but themselves for their lack of activity.

Despite its size, Scotland had a great production line of footballing talent, Peter Lorimar, Eddie Gray, Billy Bremner, Kenny Daldlish, Dennis law etc etc. The list could go on and on. But now there's almost nothing in comparison.

England being much bigger than its neighbour has not suffered to the same degree because there are still plenty of talented footballers coming through. Like Scotland though it still suffers from the youth of today problem and the numbers of footballing greats is nothing like that of previous years.

Well, for what it's worth, we scored three excellent goals tonight. Moldova's defending was utterly shocking, but that takes little away from the finishing.

352976[/snapback]

erm.....you would hope Scotland would score 3 against Moldova. A team who did not even play Scotland tonight tongue.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.