BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tough Fixtures Ahead

Incidentally, Wigan are winning at Pampey and are on course to go five points clear in second place tonight and just six behind Chelski.

358697[/snapback]

If they had scored on that 3 on 1 breakaway in injury time against Chelski just before Crepso scored, they would have been level on 28 points with them right now. Let's face it, Wigan have made an even bigger impact so far than we made in '92

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes tell myself that Wigan are getting a great deal of luck, and also that they havent played Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, or even us!

Then I remember that they matched Chelsea, and could very well have shared top spot with them as the previous poster pointed out.

It will be very interesting to see how they fare against Arsenal, Spurs and ourselves.

Well they haven't been top of the League for two runs like we had done by the start of November.

And Wigan have an extremely lop-sided fixture list. They've played the bottom sides except Bolton and Chelsea and now have a nightmare run of games.

Chances are that someone will rumble them and that their defence which is currently playing out of their skins will come back to a more normal level. Filan's form is great news for the Aussies ahead of the WC knock-out though.

Doubt Wigan will finish in the top four like we did in '92 and I make that prediction more than half expecting that two out of Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool will not make the top four either.

That said, if Wigan are still in the top four after their next nine fixtures (when they play all the top sides except Bolton), they are probably going to stay there.

Edited by philipl

from what I saw of the wigan game both teams were pretty dire.

of the players on show only Taylor would get into the Rovers team.

this chimbonda bloke strikes me as the man who found gold.

a player in the diawarra mold (kaba that is) who is on a streak of luck as wide as the mersey estuary, if he is wearing gloves now god help him on new years eve ohmy.gif

Well they haven't been top of the League for two runs like we had done by the start of November.

358711[/snapback]

They haven't broken the British transfer record to sign the best centre forward of our generation either.

After 10 years of Sky-funded largesse for the top clubs, I think it is remarkable that a promoted team can even get into the top half, let alone 2nd after nearly 1/3rd of the season.

The comment about only one of their players could get into our team amy well be true, but they are not second because of any individuals, they are there because they gel as a team, particuarly defending.

They're a disiplined defensive unit who hit teams on the break with two quick, relatively skillful forwards. They're obviously well coached defensively and at set pieces - as I've said numerous times whilst Souness was in charge, you can teach monkeys to defend well (which made you wonder what they did in training!). It's dire football, but effective. They'll get found out by the more creative teams later on in the season, but they'll probably pick up enough points to stay in the top half come the end.

Dont forget Wigans next 6 games are extremely difficult games whereas if they pick up 3-4 points, they should be happy, so they needed this run.

But, it shows that outside the top 5-6 teams, Wigan have beaten most teams in the division and after confirming survival, if they do, should be looking for a top 10 finish with the start that they have had, unless they come undone big time.

They haven't broken the British transfer record to sign the best centre forward of our generation either.

After 10 years of Sky-funded largesse for the top clubs, I think it is remarkable that a promoted team can even get into the top half, let alone 2nd after nearly 1/3rd of the season. 

The comment about only one of their players could get into our team amy well be true, but they are not second because of any individuals, they are there because they gel as a team, particuarly defending.

358733[/snapback]

Fair point- but Whelan would have spent £25m this summer had there been anybody willing to go there. As it is, I think their net spending was over £10m.

The big difference is that Jack had junked Mackay (who wasn't performing) and appointed King Kenny- a manager who could attract the big names.

Paul Jewel has quietly gone about doing his job at Wigan exceptionally well and it will be interesting to see how much transfer money Whelan will release to him now that he has established Wigan as a top flight club so quickly and whether he will find it any easier to attract players. The Fayed experience at Fulham could be instructive in that regard.

Wigan could keep the challenge going- I deliberately didn't put the home and away fixtures on that list of games because although they now face a run of challenging games, they start off with two home fixtures including Arsenal who have yet to win on their travels. However, all it needs is for Arsenal to "click" and the Wigan show could be derailed as there are no "easy" games for them to regroup in.

Paul Jewel has quietly gone about doing his job at Wigan exceptionally well and it will be interesting to see how much transfer money Whelan will release to him now that he has established Wigan as a top flight club so quickly and whether he will find it any easier to attract players.

358798[/snapback]

Jewell for me is turning into a Championship version of Cloughie. He's taken probably the two most unfashionable teams ever to get into the Premier League in Wigan and Bradford and made a decent fist of their first seasons.

I think Whelan won't make the mistake in year 2 that Bradford's idiot chairman did. I expect to see a continuation of the same recipe.

Also good to see Henchoz doing well, I was half hoping we would go in for him in the close season

we will see what happens when the going gets tough and the weather gets boggy,rainy and windy and darn right bloody awful.

prediction

wigan to falter from the next match and drop to just above md table and thats only as they have points in the bag.

by new years eve they will be a good 8 points behind Rovers as we sweep them aside ready for a right royal ###### up tinykit.gif

• 2 weeks later...

take the positive, although Arsenal looked good with TH up front, they also looked pretty clueless in midfield and at the back, especially with a bit of pace.

Rovers have a weeks rest whilst arsenal play Thun away.

no doubt they will rest a few but there is no reason why Rovers cannot go and get a point

I think we got the minimal expected out of the 4 games.

4 points is a decent return considering 2 of the teams were the top 2 of last season and we gave both of them as good as we got.

The difference in our season being a success and failure will depend upon the matches against the other teams up and around us. Now we got 5 games left for the half-way stage and during that time, I would have thought we should be looking at at least 12 or so points.

I think 25 points would reflect a good first half of the season, a platform for take off in the new Year. it would be brill if we had anything more than 25 and oh how would that get the half season tickets flowing.

Clear of any relegation worries going into January

still in the carling cup

still in the fa cup

and with

chelsea,manure,city,liverpool,bolton,wigan,arsenal all still to come to Ewood tongue.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.