BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pedersen Needs Converting!

You really think Peter could come in and be one of THE top midfield goalscorers in the league?  That's what Pedersen is right now, that's what he has to live up to.

377680[/snapback]

Well you never know, probably not. He can't if he isn't given the chance.

Let's remember Pedersen looked far from impressive in his first few games. Pedersen also came from a mickey-mouse league probably comparable to our reserve leagues.

I'm still unsure about the overall Pedersen package - let's just leave it to Hughes eh?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mgp will play upfront tonight! gives us far more threat than bentley.

peter will get his chance (too good a prospect not to!) as will andy taylor. both are highly thought of by the gaffer.

377844[/snapback]

Doubt it.

I take it if you think The Ped will play up top, that Sergio Peter will play on the left tonight? I can't really see that happening with all that's at stake for us, but I wouldn't argue if Hughes did decide on that team.

Doubt it.

I take it if you think The Ped will play up top, that Sergio Peter will play on the left tonight? I can't really see that happening with all that's at stake for us, but I wouldn't argue if Hughes did decide on that team.

377854[/snapback]

Trust is one our managers greatest assets. If their good enough their old enough. Come on Rovers tinykit.gif

Just read the paper issue of Norwegian newspaper VG, where they have run a big article on Morten Gamst Pedersen. What they have written is mainly:

1. MGP is our number one star player

2. MGP wants to be payed as much as Bellamy

The Gamst hype here in Norway is seriously getting ridiculous.. Lets hope he scores the winner at OT then they might send a 10men tv-crue over there for some extensive interviews.. smile.gif

Tonight emphasised the need for Pedersen to offer us more I'm afraid.

It may seem like I'm just waiting to jump but this really isn't the case, I just really wish he used the technical ability he had to improve his game.

When you are playing against a three man midfield, you should be able to utalise the additional space, rather than somehow hiding in it, and I'm afraid MGP has a long way to go before he can justify being our 'star player' or suggest he should earn the same as Bellamy.

Tonight emphasised the need for Pedersen to offer us more I'm afraid.

It may seem like I'm just waiting to jump but this really isn't the case, I just really wish he used the technical ability he had to improve his game. 

When you are playing against a three man midfield, you should be able to utalise the additional space, rather than somehow hiding in it, and I'm afraid MGP has a long way to go before he can justify being our 'star player' or suggest he should earn the same as Bellamy.

378111[/snapback]

agreed but his lack of pace will always hold him back from being a true Premiership star

It also showed in his short cameo appearance that Peter is no way a replacement for MGP on the left wing yet.

378232[/snapback]

Lets give the boy a chance Phil. 15 minutes on a suspect pitch against a champions league team this seems a little harsh. I also thought Pedersen suited his forward position. We saw more of him and with his heading ability made a nice change from Kuqi.

I think Hughes will try not to start with Pedersen up front if he can help it. He must show Kuqi and Bentley loyalty (striking is their trade?) and probably doesn't want to split the Gray/Pedersen partnership up down the left. tinykit.gif

• 1 year later...
What a player Petrov is, I couldn't believe that City got him so cheap in the summer. If only we could have sold Pedersen when he had value and brought him in. He just highlights everything that is missing in our team at the moment; pace, directness and the ability to play a killer final ball.

Absolutely right....

Petrov was in a totally different league to Pedersen tonight. MGP was embarrassingly poor again, while City's Bulgarian winger demonstrated the speed, skill, intelligence and awareness that MGP sorely lacks.

It's annoying to think that Martin Petrov was available for Man City to buy for just £4.7m in the summer, while at one time there was speculation that other clubs were considering bids of upwards of £5m for MGP. If only we could swap him now for Petrov. But I don't think Sven would be mad enough to consider it though....

There are certain attributes you fundamentally need to be a good winger in the Premiership these days - pace certainly being one. It also helps to have directness, awareness, good control, passing and crossing ability.

I'm afraid that for this season (and indeed for much of last season) MGP has shown precious little of these necessary attributes. Or as the subtitle of this thread rather aptly says: "Winger my ar*e".

Hmmm? Petrov is a good player - full stop. He aint THAT good though. He's a speed merchant with a good cross. Force him inside and [like Wright Philips] he doesn't offer much.

Rovers didn't do their homework tonight. If they did, - god help us.

Hmmm? Petrov is a good player - full stop. He aint THAT good though. He's a speed merchant with a good cross. Force him inside and [like Wright Philips] he doesn't offer much.

Rovers didn't do their homework tonight. If they did, - god help us.

Petrov disappeared when we put Emerton on him. Says it all about hit abilities as a player.

People slating Petrov have missed the point.

Last night he was on fire for 10-15 mins.

The result? 2 goals.

He's the wingers version of McCarthy.

He was on fire because he had a free run at a centre half in space, with nobody willing to give said centre half any support - it was so simple too; collect the ball, draw in Zurab, lay it off to the centre midfielder and set off down the wing. Worked like a charm every time. Once we put someone on him who had the ability to keep up with him he vanished.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's not a world beater - decent crosser, solid shot and pacey. Clearly doesn't have the skill to take himself to the next level ala a Giggs or Duff (in his prime), very much just a head down and run at pace into space kind of winger.

Certainly better than Pedersen in his current form mind. He's a a headcase - he's lost all confidence and appears to have forgotten how to play the game of football. At one point he was a very skillful, dangerous player (despite his lack of pace). It's very sad and frustrating.

You can't compare Petrov and Gamst. Petrov is an orthodox winger and Gamst is just confused. He made his name as Ljungberg type who would make his presence felt in the box but now I just do not know what he is doing.

However, he has Hughes' unconditional love.

I don't think he does, he was dropped earlier in the season, it's just that we don't have a replacement. Peter and Treacy are the only options, but Peter is either injured or has problems and Treacy has been suspended recently. You can't seriously suggest playing Dunn there long-term or moving Bentley there and having someone play right midfield.

You can't compare Petrov and Gamst. Petrov is an orthodox winger and Gamst is just confused. He made his name as Ljungberg type who would make his presence felt in the box but now I just do not know what he is doing.

However, he has Hughes' unconditional love.

Could you keep that to the Hughes out thread rover6 so as not to send out any mixed messages.

Edited by thenodrog

Hang on folks.

Petrov looks o.k but we made him look good.

Our centre back was at right back, our right back was at right mid and our right mid was up front.

As soon as we sorted it out at half time ( why the hell did Hughes wait that long ) he vanished from the game.

Petrov would do for me at Ewood, just imagine Santa or Benny getting on the end of those crosses ! I saw him playing in the last world cup for Bulgaria v Italy on a terrible rainy night and for 45 minutes he slaughtered the Italian right wing, second half he was quiet but had done enough to put the game out of sight by then ( just like last night , how Bianchi missed that one I'll never know). He was still in Bulgaria then , we could have had him cheap ( he went to Wolfsburg).

Last night second half, we tightened up on him, more importantly tightened up on the players who were feeding him, and Emmo gave him a dig or two.

As for Pedersen his main failing is an embarrassing lack of pace off the mark, Zurab could mark him comfortably ! I've known other slow wingers, they made up for having no pace by being crafty, pulling their marker around, but most all being aggresive when they got a chance to cross the ball. Pedersen gets half way round his man , the full back leans on him and he just gives up the battle.

He needs to toughen up physically and mentally, he seems to have a sunny disposition that prevents him getting nasty, he needs to get mad a few times.

Hang on folks.

Petrov looks o.k but we made him look good.

Our centre back was at right back, our right back was at right mid and our right mid was up front.

As soon as we sorted it out at half time ( why the hell did Hughes wait that long ) he vanished from the game.

Agree with you there. On top of that his crosses weren't even that good. He put in three good balls (the two goals and the amazing miss), but let's be honest, only one of those was really at all difficult. We gave him space to run in and he did, it didn't take any real talent. Pedersen did far more than he did in the second half and that really isn't saying much.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.