BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

I've nothing against either man but when fans begin to discuss Jack Charlton (72) and Robson (74) in the same breath as the England managership it only goes to demonstrate the poverty of English talent and the depths the English game has plumbed. They have had great careers but these men are in their 70s, hardly going to take English football forward into a brave new world are they?

Did not realise he was THAT old.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bother more about England than Rovers, I guess it's the familiarity and where I live.

You must be one of the few. Most fans over here are now far more concerned about their club, whoever they support. That's not to say they wouldn't like to support England but it's not the same excitement as a good game at Ewood or any game that sees Rovers winning gives you.

speedie has a point, absence makes the heart and all that. Not that England are closer to me than Rovers but they do seem a lot closer to my heart than they used to.

My reasoning is that over here I have friends who are from all over; Germans, Italians, Americans, Scandanavians. Our common bond is football but they don't have the same passion for English clubs as English people do. Even my English friends over here don't get as serious. Most Americans who watch the game pick a team and cheer. Most other imports have a team, like me, from their homeland, therefore the only rivalries exist on the international stage. At home you can work with fans of many different clubs so that excitment is more intense as you have something to brag about every Monday. Another aspect of England's idiocy is the coaching/tactical inability we have. I'd wager that there are thousands of coaches working in America from England teaching Yanks how to play. For some reason we are afforded lots of credence, but it's getting harder to defend when the pinnacle puts in an effort like Wednesday.

As for the England job. In no particular order I'd have Capello, Shearer with an astute coach to run training, Lippi, Mourinho, Rijkaard. I would not go near Jack Charlton; read Roy Keane's autobiography. Harry Redknapp wouldn't work either. Whoever comes in needs to start fresh and not pick media darlings, or play Lampard and Gerrard; If you have 2 good goalkeepers you can only play one, the same applies here. Hargreaves and A N Other please.

If Martin Jol wants it, I would seriously consider him for the job. Commands respect and was good for Spurs until this season. His propensity to want to buy everyone and his dog would not be a problem - although Jermaine Jenas might start playing every game. :rolleyes: Apparently, his record in Holland is very good - but don't know much about it. Seriously, though, with so few candidates, Jol should at least be asked if he has any interest. He wouldn't be my number one candidate but everyone England could go for seem to have plush jobs - apart from Capello.

My reasoning is that over here I have friends who are from all over; Germans, Italians, Americans, Scandanavians. Our common bond is football but they don't have the same passion for English clubs as English people do. Even my English friends over here don't get as serious. Most Americans who watch the game pick a team and cheer. Most other imports have a team, like me, from their homeland, therefore the only rivalries exist on the international stage. At home you can work with fans of many different clubs so that excitment is more intense as you have something to brag about every Monday. Another aspect of England's idiocy is the coaching/tactical inability we have. I'd wager that there are thousands of coaches working in America from England teaching Yanks how to play. For some reason we are afforded lots of credence, but it's getting harder to defend when the pinnacle puts in an effort like Wednesday.

As for the England job. In no particular order I'd have Capello, Shearer with an astute coach to run training, Lippi, Mourinho, Rijkaard. I would not go near Jack Charlton; read Roy Keane's autobiography. Harry Redknapp wouldn't work either. Whoever comes in needs to start fresh and not pick media darlings, or play Lampard and Gerrard; If you have 2 good goalkeepers you can only play one, the same applies here. Hargreaves and A N Other please.

I'm not saying you're wrong but just that living elsewhere you see things from a different angle. If you lived here you'd realise just how far out of love many fans have fallen with our national team. As I said most of us would love to support them - I'm old enough to remember us being rather good - but it's hard to support a team made up of media favourites when they play like a bunch of strangers, when our club who are basically are a bunch of foreigners with a few English lads thrown in play like a group of mates most of the time.

What? How much experience do you need? Now I'm not backing Big Jack particularly but he's certainly experience of managing a 'small' team to and at both the Euro and the World Cup Finals! Anybody else on the list of possibilities other than Scolari that possesses that? Also and this IS THE BIG REALLY ONE he is his own man and does not give a flying flerk for the massed ranks of knownowts in the press and media and will select players to suit his game plan not cos the play for some billy big time media luvvy club.

No, I didn't mean it like that. I was making a general piint about experience, a lack of experience you couldn't accuse Jackie of.

The only thing against him is being out of the game for so long, that's why I think he is a non-starter.

Chelsea's English players are getting booed at Derby, and Gerrard was too earlier on. I love it, long may it continue.

Seriously, it is long overdue that the Big 4's prima donnas ahould start getting what is their just rewards from the real football public. If Bentley gets booed for being honest then Lampard, Gerard, Bridge, SWP certainly deserve the bird for being complete and utter rubbish when they couldn't even manage a home draw against a team which are odds on to be on the train home after three games in Swizztria next summer.

Something the all bow down and bear your whatevers to the Big 4 brigade always forget, there are far more non-Big 4 Premier League supporters than there are Big 4 supporters.

Time for the underdog's revenge starting with Rovers sitting in one of the first 4 places of the Prem at Christmas. Incidentally I felt deeply ashamed when an American poster wrote how he now understands that the refs fix games in favour of the big 4 after watching the Derby v Chelsea game.

Far from cleaning our act up, English football now stinks as badly as it has ever done.

I'm surprised that Martin Jol doesn't even appear as an option of any betting web sites. Available, good club record, high profile manager, speaks English...

Looking realistically at the situation, my order of preference for the England job right now is:

O'Neill (Presuming his recent remarks have been somewhat faceitious.)

Mourinho

Capello

Unfortunately the first two names do not appear interested.

The worst thing today was hearing Jamie Redknapp banging on about how wonderful Steve Gerrard was today, although Wednesday was mentioned in passing. Shameful, shameful, players for England, you should be honoured to be given the shirt. I am still absolutely gutted, not just about Wednesday, but the performance of the England players barring Becks and Bentley for some time now. :angry2:

Edited by roversmum

A quicky to say that 1864's analysis and suggested selection looks bob on to me. (That is the serious and heartfelt part of this post)

Are you English 1864?

Fancy a new job?

Only £2.5m a year- can you manage?

Now here's the difficult bit. Can you spend hours in the company of Brian Barwick without telling him he's a ****er?

Thought that was too tricky - sorry next candidate.

We should all send in our CVs with our achievments whilst playing FM :lol:. One of us could get lucky. Would love to see Lippi, Riijkaard or Capello take over and given a free hand. But I doubt that would happen, and we'd get John Bond, Peter Reid or Barry Fry because the FA want their coaching staff, and they'll be skint.

The worst thing today was hearing Jamie Redknapp banging on about how wonderful Steve Gerrard was today, although Wednesday was mentioned in passing. Shameful, shameful, players for England, you should be honoured to be given the shirt. I am still absolutely gutted, not just about Wednesday, but the performance of the England players barring Becks and Bentley for some time now. :angry2:

I cannot rem how many times I've said this but Steve Gerrard is a damned good Sat afternoon club player and thats it. He can sign for us anytime he likes by me BUT the phallacy that has built around him being a 'world class international' is just that a fallacy and absolutely ludicrous to boot.

.... But he just squeezes a place on the bench in 'my' England SQUAD (note not team) in front of Frank Lampard.

Just a thought, how about Keane for England manager? There's no way that anyone would underperform with him in charge.

Den, I was meaning to post this even before Sunderland's 7-1 cuffing at Goodison:

He's hardly pulling up any trees in the top flight is he?

Arguably he's proof that the intimidation factor alone can get you so far but that that falls a bit short in the final analysis. Personally I think Souness falls into that category as well.

Either Alex Ferguson is a hundred times as intimidating as the pair of them or else he obviously has a lot more to his armoury besides that.

The reverberations from the failure to qualify are going to be long and painful if this snippet from the Telegraph this morning is anything to go by:

Brian Barwick and the FA buffers are burying their heads as deeply in the Wembley mire as were the feet of England's players on Wednesday if they believe the Euro exit will not harm prospects of hosting the 2018 World Cup. Leapfroggers Russia, gifted a passage to next year's finals, will seize the opportunity to use their presence at the finals in Austria and Switzerland to press their own claim. Indeed, our Russian spies tell us that President Putin was "delighted" to see England stumble and has personally instructed his sports minister Vyacheslava Fetisov to "pull out all the stops" to secure 2018 for Russia. Former ice hockey icon Fetisov has many friends in Fifa, not least Sepp Blatter, and will ensure that Russia's candidature, to be confirmed shortly, will be the most serious challenge to England. It could also be significant that England's demotion to a second-class football power has not evoked much sympathy among the nations gathered in Durban for the 2010 World Cup draw. That "arrogant" reputation, highlited last week by the Croatians, remains hard to erase.

Den, I was meaning to post this even before Sunderland's 7-1 cuffing at Goodison:

Arguably he's proof that the intimidation factor alone can get you so far but that that falls a bit short in the final analysis. Personally I think Souness falls into that category as well.

Either Alex Ferguson is a hundred times as intimidating as the pair of them or else he obviously has a lot more to his armoury besides that.

I was expecting a really strong showing from Keane's Sunderland (and Chopra...) but it is not materialising. Keane's transfers must cast doubt upon his managerial acumen - and certainly do make it evidently clear how inexperienced he is. Snapping up former team-mates for inflated fees (Ian Harte included) shows a lack of insight in the transfer market, in my opinion. He seems to have a thing against foreign players but they may be his only hope because you don't get English defenders as good as Chimbonda and Samba available for 100,000s.

When Stuart Pearce tells you you have your players training too hard, then they're definitely training too hard.

I'm not sure how much money he's spent, but to be fair to Keane, a first season in the premiership is hard for most teams. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and see what happens in their second season (if they stay up ...) And to be fair, Kenwynne wasn't a bad buy.

But I do think some people get distracted by what a boss did as a player, anmd look on their managerial exploits more favourably than they should. And example of this was people calling for Hendry to be installed as a defensive coach at Rovers ...

And that is too bad it really is. I was hoping for great things from Keane, not because I like him, simply because if he had any kind of success he would have leap frogged Sparky in the when Ferguson leaves sweepstakes.

I think he has spent unwisely, too much money on players simply not good enough at the Prem level. Oh how's that much touted Chopra doing, is he injured or something.

I was expecting a really strong showing from Keane's Sunderland (and Chopra...) but it is not materialising. Keane's transfers must cast doubt upon his managerial acumen - and certainly do make it evidently clear how inexperienced he is. Snapping up former team-mates for inflated fees (Ian Harte included) shows a lack of insight in the transfer market, in my opinion. He seems to have a thing against foreign players but they may be his only hope because you don't get English defenders as good as Chimbonda and Samba available for 100,000s.

But rover6, Keane's transfer policy is exactly what you have been arguing for and he's pushed a few youngsters through.

To be honest, Sunderland have been threatening to get on the wrong end of a scoreline like that Everton one for sometime now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.