BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mourinho has just ruled himself out of the running for the England job.

Another great what might have been screwed by the lumbering FA. I an sure talking to John Tossack was more important than talking to Mourinho.

I wonder how Brian Barwick's Italian is for talking to Cappelo or Lippi?

You really think Mourinho would be so good as to deserve 6 million a year? For me the FA have dodged a bullet in that one.

The numbers are daft but do you think Capello is going to be earning next to nothing? The FA even contrived to pay McClaren "only" £2.5m a year.

Capello is a disciplinarian by all accounts which given the nature of modern football will create its own bullets for the FA. How can he enforce discipline in a national team context?, by not picking otherwise favoured players- not much else by way of sanctions.

Mourinho brought risks but he is young enough to have a massive stake in not failing, he is close enough to the current English game to have a very detailed knowlege of all the players and has a very clear view of where to take the FA and England set-up.

The FA has bungled another chance to give themselves and the national team direction.

I've wondered about Italian managers before. On the one hand......

1. I'm not to sure that our players have the necessary inheritent professionalism (and cynicism) to play Italian the Italian keep ball game.

whilst on the other

2. We desperately need somebody to put a stop to the inane and immature attempts of the gung-ho / Roy Race / attempt a killer 35 yd pass at every opportunity / abilities of messrs Beckham, Gerrard et al and to introduce some structure and thought into our play. Our Charge of the Light Brigade style of play (even when playing for a 0-0 draw v Croatia) will never work at international level and certainly not in WC / Euro competitions which are nearly always played out in searing mid afternoon temperatures.

Edited by thenodrog

"Fabio Capello to be appointed within days," claims The Times

I saw the rant below from someone on the Football365.com website, and it struck a chord with me....

"The NO GOOD business fraternity that calls itself the (sweet) F.A. have mugged the real fans for years. Finishing with 800 odd millions of pounds for a new state of the art stadium, which was no better than a rugby pitch for the Croatia game. Whoever they install as England manager will just be another patsy to take a fall. The set-up is all wrong. The hundreds of millions raised should be used for the England Academy generation. Get them playing together now, get the top coaches, forward thinkers, coaching them now through to their senior playing status. That would be a blueprint to start."

"The next England manager is going to come for millions a year, knowing they do not have to win a thing, just take the media storm and runaway with millions in the bank etc. Wise up, that is why it is now 41 years of hurt. MONEY men and personal greed. We the fans are bankrolling failures to fortune and fame. Take Mr Barwick, why is he being allowed to make another choice ?"

Capello will be a good choice, if not for the fact that he can't speak to the press.

The system needs fixing, but there are far too many yes men within the FA, and too many people outside wanting to get in who will play the tune rather than doing it the right way.

Well just to add to my recent disappointment at Rovers performances I'm gutted that the FA somehow contrived to manage not to land Mourinho when he apparently wanted the job a week or two ago.

I think he would have been the ideal man to get the players actually looking forward to playing in the white shirt and just as importantly to kick some arse at the FA. Not too bothered who we geet now.

Looks like Capello will be unveiled this afternoon as the new England boss.

Hope David Bentley and Steven Warnock are brushing up on their Italian!

More important to spend a few extra hours a week practising square passing, diving, shirt pulling, time wasting and feigning injury I would think. Those 'talents' will come to the fore if we are to improve internationally I'm afraid.

I wonder what Capello will do? He obviously doesn't favour star players, he has dropped plenty of big names in his time. We could see much more emphasis on a team rather than individual performers.

We are not going to get swashbuckling football however, more like solid competance which is I think very neccessary to rebuild confidence.Hopefully people will give him a while before the criticism of being too defensive starts coming out as surely it will. Although we have good players we are not Brazil or France in terms of the attacking talent available so we need to get the most of what we have and playing tight will help that. If we start producing a few more Joe Coles and Rooneys (rather than hargreaves and Carricks) over the next two years maybe we can look to be more open and offensive.

Its not going to be exciting but it could prove to be very neccessary.

More important to spend a few extra hours a week practising square passing, diving, shirt pulling, time wasting and feigning injury I would think. Those 'talents' will come to the fore if we are to improve internationally I'm afraid.

Don't forget defending theno ;)

• 1 month later...

Steve McClaren gave an interview to Radio 5's Gary Richardson recently. McClaren said that he had no regrets about anything during his time as England manager. He said that he wouldn't have done anything differently during his 18 months in charge.

Is this man a fool or is he just deluded ?

So he has no regrets about the defensive tactics away to Israel where we drew 0-0, no regrets about trying to hang onto a 1-0 lead away to Russia in a match we ended up losing 2-1; no regrets about the disastrous 3-5-2 formation away to Croatia which left the players looking confused in a 2-0 defeat.

No regrets about the fact we could barely muster a single shot on goal during the first half against Macedonia at Old Trafford which ended up 0-0, no regrets about playing the inexperienced Scott Carson in our vital last match at home to Croatia at Wembley.

Steve McClaren says that he's "still ambitious" and wants to manage at "the highest level". Which Premiership chairman would be brave enough to employ this clown again?

Steve McClaren gave an interview to Radio 5's Gary Richardson recently. McClaren said that he had no regrets about anything during his time as England manager. He said that he wouldn't have done anything differently during his 18 months in charge.

Is this man a fool or is he just deluded ?

So he has no regrets about the defensive tactics away to Israel where we drew 0-0, no regrets about trying to hang onto a 1-0 lead away to Russia in a match we ended up losing 2-1; no regrets about the disastrous 3-5-2 formation away to Croatia which left the players looking confused in a 2-0 defeat.

No regrets about the fact we could barely muster a single shot on goal during the first half against Macedonia at Old Trafford which ended up 0-0, no regrets about playing the inexperienced Scott Carson in our vital last match at home to Croatia at Wembley.

Steve McClaren says that he's "still ambitious" and wants to manage at "the highest level". Which Premiership chairman would be brave enough to employ this clown again?

AESF, he was also interviewed on Talksport about the infamous "wally with the brolly" incident and the excuse he gave was not that he was trying to keep his little tuft of hair dry, it was due to the fact he liked taking a lot of notes and it was lashing down with rain.

Some wag texted in afterwards and said he certainly did like taking a lot of notes, he took 2.5 million of them!

Don't know whether to :lol: or :angry:

Some wag texted in afterwards and said he certainly did like taking a lot of notes, he took 2.5 million of them!

:lol: Was it Posh Spice?

He was flaming useless. The one thing he should've done differently is not to have signed the contract in the first place.

He didn't seem to be benefitting from making notes when he was on the touchline.

• 2 months later...

You'd think that after the disastrous mess that Steve McClown made of the England job, that he'd want to lie low for a good length of time and not be seen embarrassing himself in public.

But McClaren has been booked to appear as a guest of Gabby Logan on BBC1's "Inside Sport" tomorrow night at 11.15pm.

Isn't it wonderful to know that the BBC are probably paying him a nice fee to appear on the programme and as licence fee payers in Britain, we're helping to give another little boost to McClaren's bank balance, following his huge pay-off from the FA last November.

McClaren's stubborn refusal to resign on the night of the shambles against Croatia at Wembley meant that he walked away with a reported £2.5million pay-off from the FA. At least with Kevin Keegan, he did the decent thing and resigned as England manager when he realised that he wasn't up to the job, rather than waiting to be sacked and getting a grubby payout for being a failure.

The FA lost around £10m from Steve McClown's failure to qualify for Euro 2008. It was a humiliation for the country and McClaren goes down in history as the man with the worst record of any England post-war manager. I'd really like Brian Barwick from the FA to explain his earlier comments in the summer of 2006 when he lavished praise on Steve McClaren and said that Steve would bring "style and class" to the England job.

Mr Barwick should perhaps be the next guest on "Inside Sport" - provided that the BBC didn't pay him any money and that instead of being sweet-talked by Gabby Logan, he was asked some tough searching questions as to how he got things so badly wrong.

It could be argued that Barwick is the fourth disgraced FA chief executive in a row. Graham Kelly had to quit in a cash-for-votes scandal with the Welsh. Scotsman Adam Crozier was partly responsible for the massive rising costs of the new Wembley Stadium and then after quitting as FA chief, he made a mess of Royal Mail. Mark Palios was forced to quit following the scandal over Faria Alam. And now we've got another buffoon in the shape of Mr Barwick.

The usual mantra I hear from Barwick is his talk about a "root and branch" review of the game. I'd really like his "root and branch" reforms to start with him having the decency to resign after his disastrous appointment of McClaren, who predictably ended up getting the push and a big payout. Shouldn't the man who appointed McClaren also take some responsibility for the situation?

It could be argued that Barwick is the fourth disgraced FA chief executive in a row. Graham Kelly had to quit in a cash-for-votes scandal with the Welsh. Scotsman Adam Crozier was partly responsible for the massive rising costs of the new Wembley Stadium and then after quitting as FA chief, he made a mess of Royal Mail. Mark Palios was forced to quit following the scandal over Faria Alam. And now we've got another buffoon in the shape of Mr Barwick.

Miserable looking buggger without doubt but I didn't dislike Graham Kelly. Apparently a rovers fan too by his own admission.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.