BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately this latest England game has descended into a circus about whether Beckham is going to get his hundredth cap at a time wwen the manager needs to be looking forward and familiarising himself with his realistic options for the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers.

I suggested Beckham should get ten minutes in Capello's first game against Switzerland and I think tnr chided me for being too soft and that was why I'd never be a manager. :P

It would however have had the effect of it all being done and dusted and we could then have moved on.

Hope Capello doesn't get sucked down by the whole Beckham phenomenon like Sven did to a large extent.

Miserable looking buggger without doubt but I didn't dislike Graham Kelly. Apparently a rovers fan too by his own admission.

I think he was fairly pally with Bill Fox.

He certainly attended quite a lot of Rovers games with him at the time.

Wasn't Bill also Vice-Chairman of the Football League?

Just checked- he was President of the Football League.

There is no doubt Graham Kelly had a soft spot for Rovers and for the town club teams in general. When you look at his successors, I think Graham Kelly can be seen to have done a pretty decent job.

Edited by philipl

• 4 months later...

That is mind blowing.

I can only think of two explanations:

- he has been reduced to talking simple gibberish at Twente because he has no language skills and some Twente players don't speak English and he forgot to switch mode for the interview, and

- he is still in little schoolboy awe mode of big clubs and big players.

Can you imagine what it must have been like interviewing this bloke? John Williams probably had to excuse himself to go outside so he could fall about laughing. Yes we could have done worse than appoint Paul Ince.

Hi Guysh,

Aldo you might think I am a shid manager and all your fansh protested before I wash appointed, dose english fansh know nothing of my skillsh.

Its great over here in Howland ash I can schpeak like dis and you guysh undershtand me!!

McLaren - YOU ARE AN IMBACILE

I saw this on another forum about an hour ago and cried with laughter. What on earth was he thinking?! I almost wish we'd got him just to hear his stab at East Lancs.

Oh for heavens sake just watched it again and it is McClaren speaking, I thought it was dubbed!

Interview at Rovers would have been a sort of 'Eeee up John, Ah'll mek it t' top wit lads wi 'ave 'ere.'

Unfortunately a good friend of mine is a Twente fan and he does speak English with a little accent but not like McClown was doing then. I would think he's horrified.

Have I missed something? Was that interview a joke by McClaren or what?

If it's not a joke, he is clearly more of a tool than I had originally thought.

He's doing the Sven Deception. Emphasise your lack of fluency in the language to avoid saying anything meaningful.

"We are, what you call underdogs." Steve, you're English you twerp, underdogs is a common english phrase.

Beggars belief.

He makes me embarrassed to be from England.

How long will he last at Twente?

Within a few months of the season starting, the FC Twente director who appointed McClaren will have grown a thick beard and be serving behind a counter in an alternative medicine practice in Amsterdam. It was more than a crime to appoint McClaren manager.

Edited by rover6

God how embarrassing! I can only assume that he is also wearing socks and sandals .What is going on with his upper teeth?Looks like they are slipping down and he has to keep pushing them up with his tongue.

One thing we can all agree on .. he is what you dutch call a Vertraag :rolleyes:

Edited by almuncle

• 7 months later...

"A lack of discipline under Sven and Steve McClaren," says Lampard.

Frank Lampard has said that after the laissez-faire Steve McClaren era, the England players needed a strong leader to "put us in line a bit".

The sickening WAG culture during the 2006 World Cup in Germany, when the wives and girlfriends would totter back on their stilettos to their hotel rooms in the early hours of the morning, appears to now be a thing of the past thankfully under Fabio Capello.

It was a distracting sideshow from England's dismal performances in the last World Cup when the likes of Victoria Beckham, Cheryl Cole and the rest of the fame-hungry desperate attention-seeking WAGS would go out shopping and dancing till dawn.

As Rio Ferdinand said afterwards: "Players were worrying more about what people were wearing and where they were going, rather than the England football team. We were caught up in the bubble. Walking around the town of Baden-Baden there were paparazzi everywhere and it was like a circus."

I'm quite sure that Alf Ramsey wouldn't have put up with such nonsense from the wives and girlfriends. But the players - and perhaps David Beckham in particular - seemed to have too much power under Sven. It was widely reported that Beckham, the England captain at the time, played a big part in persuading Eriksson to allow the WAGS to have a free reign in Germany.

It was a culture that was far too lacking in discipline for the players. Sven, the manager at the time, and Steve McClown, the coach, both failed to realise how damaging this lack of discipline and focus was for the players.

As well as the WAG circus, Steve McClown made the big mistake of trying to become pals with the players when he was the manager - calling them by their nicknames Wazza (Wayne Rooney) and Stevie G (Gerrard).

England were woefully unfit, unprepared and unfocused during the 2006 World Cup tournament. The men responsible for this were Sven the manager and Steve McClown the coach. Indeed England were so unfit that Sebastian Coe later said that he thought England were the most unfit team of any of the major nations at the 2006 World Cup.

Admittedly Coe isn't a football expert, but as an Olympic double gold medallist who still holds the UK record for 800m back in 1981, in a time of 1:41.73 which hasn't been beaten in this country since - (in fact Steve Cram is the only British guy to have come within a second of that time) - I feel that Coe's views on fitness do deserve respect. He knows the rigorous preparation that you need to become a winner at the highest level.

Eriksson and Steve McClown thought that it was more important to placate the wives and girlfriends rather than get the players fully prepared, focused and fit for a major tournament.

Frank Lampard said yesterday: "Capello is exactly what we needed as a manager. We needed someone to put us in line and make us concentrate on what we are doing. Capello has brought in discipline around the place. We needed a very strong manager," said Lampard.

Clearly Mr McClown was not a strong manager at all. Two years were wasted and went down the drain with him in charge.

A link to Frank Lampard's comments below:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...rd-1657887.html

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Must admit i was shocked at the time of the F.A appointing McClown as England manager,he had the same record as domestic manager at Middlesbrough as our very own Graeme Souness had at Rovers (in fact Souey`s league placings were slightly better).Could you imagine the furore if we had appointed Souey as England manager?

Anyway,Capello SHOULD have been appointed England manager straight after Sven.If we can keep players fit (especially up front! :wacko: ) then we have a real chance of having a proper go at winning the world cup in South Africa next year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.