BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Madness From Mcclaren

"I let down the whole nation" says Steve McClaren.

You did indeed Steve, but it's nice of you to belatedly admit in a TV interview that the embarrassing failure to qualify for Euro 2008 was very much the responsibility of yourself as manager.

I loathe the way that some managers try to evade their responsibilities and make feeble excuses for their errors and failures.

The hapless Steve McClown made a complete balls-up of Euro 2008 qualification, in particular during the vital game at Wembley against Croatia when he was tactically impotent and out of his depth when shielding himself from the rain with an umbrella.

For his managerial failure with England though, McClaren received some hefty compensation in the form of a large £2.5 million pay-off from the FA. After Mr McClaren banked the cheque he swiftly buggered off on a long holiday to Barbados, before rather worryingly joining the shortlist for the job of Blackburn Rovers manager in the summer of 2008.

Steve McClown was Jim's choice to be Rovers manager, but in the end John Williams turned down McClaren in favour of the inept Paul Ince - a man who makes me more angry than McClaren.

Although Steve McClaren was out of his depth as an International manager, he seems to be a reasonably nice man away from football, albeit he does do silly things at times - especially when he gave Dutch TV viewers the special treat of him trying to speak English with a silly Dutch accent when he took over at FC Twente.

On the other hand I view Paul Ince with complete disdain. I think he's an odious individual who brought our club to it's knees. He hated Blackburn Rovers as a player and if he had stayed in charge at Ewood Park for much longer I'm sure he would have completely destroyed our club and we would have been relegated.

I found Paul Ince's arrogance disgusting and I thought some of his statements were outrageous - such as the time when Ince said: "I'm not worried, because people are expecting us to lose every game from now until the end of the season. Everyone thinks we are going to be relegated, so there's no pressure on us at all."

Unlike Paul Ince, Steve McClaren isn't a nasty arrogant individual. It would however be nice if as well as acknowledging that he was a complete failure as England manager, Mr McClaren used some of his £2.5 million pay-off from the FA to give back a bit of ticket money to the supporters who had paid to watch England's humiliating performance at Wembley against Croatia.

But let's face it, that's never going to happen in a million years is it?

It's one thing for McClaren to acknowledge that he was a failure with England, but it's another thing for him to stick his hand in his back pocket and acknowledge that he didn't deserve such a large two and a half million quid pay-off.

Video link below....

McClaren admits: "I let down the whole nation."

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zzzzzzzzz.............

Thank you for your very insightful post and contribution to this thread 'tony gale's mic'.

Have you got any further contributions or an analysis of Steve McClaren that you would like to share with us? Is there anything else that you would like to add to the debate?

Thank you also for not resorting to a direct personal insult against me. I've noticed recently that you've been guilty of posting an increasing number of personal insults towards board members that you disagree with.

To give just a few examples....

Both are football you bloody twerp.

You idiot.

What about before Sam was appointed? This is just one match.

You open your eyes you moron, we're in the relegation zone.

Look at the bigger picture you idiot. Ince is killing this club, and the sooner he's out, the better.

One wonders when you become qualified as a doctor 'tony gale's mic' whether you will be dishing out personal insults to your patients?

Will you call your patients "idiots", "morons" or "twerps" if they come to see you about a particular medical condition?

On this football website however, may I politely suggest to the moderators that they crack down on the increasingly unpleasant personal insults that tony gale's mic in particular appears to enjoy dishing out to other Blackburn Rovers fans.

It's unpleasant and it's uncalled for. It also indicates an unwillingness (or an inability) on your part to be able to debate issues in a civilised manner.

Please learn some manners young man. It will stand you in good stead in your future career.

The purpose of this football website is to exchange different views and opinions. The purpose of the website is not to dish out personal insults to other board members, as you appear to enjoy doing.

Thank you for your very insightful post and contribution to this thread 'tony gale's mic'.

Have you got any further contributions or an analysis of Steve McClaren that you would like to share with us? Is there anything else that you would like to add to the debate?

Thank you also for not resorting to a direct personal insult against me. I've noticed recently that you've been guilty of posting an increasing number of personal insults towards board members that you disagree with.

To give just a few examples....

One wonders when you become qualified as a doctor 'tony gale's mic' whether you will be dishing out personal insults to your patients?

Will you call your patients "idiots", "morons" or "twerps" if they come to see you about a particular medical condition?

On this football website however, may I politely suggest to the moderators that they crack down on the increasingly unpleasant personal insults that tony gale's mic in particular appears to enjoy dishing out to other Blackburn Rovers fans.

It's unpleasant and it's uncalled for. It also indicates an unwillingness (or an inability) on your part to be able to debate issues in a civilised manner.

Please learn some manners young man. It will stand you in good stead in your future career.

The purpose of this football website is to exchange different views and opinions. The purpose of the website is not to dish out personal insults to other board members, as you appear to enjoy doing.

I'm already a doctor, using my six years of training on an orthogeriatric ward at the Leeds General Infirmary. I'll be sure to note down the opinions of a xenophobic person on a football messageboard I've never met, it's of great value to me. As is you digging out four posts from the last 10 months or so.

If you look back at my posts I was one of the most anti-Ince people on here right from the off, however I find you constantly finding a way to shoehorn him into every topic you can find a little tiresome, hence the "zzzzz...." post earlier.

Hope that's enough of an explanation...

I think he was asking for a little civility, you don't need to take note of his opinions if you don't want to. Or maybe you were just exchanging an opinion with him?

In fact I'd be surprised if you needed to take note of anyone's opinion since you seem to know it all already.

Still think that there's not much to choose between Sven and McClaren, in terms of managerial ability.

Remember, Sven had a Mr O.Hargreaves at his disposal for a long time and never chose to use him barring as a time-wasting left wing sub. England fans, in fact, many people on this MB, were convinced on the basis of these cameos, that Hargreaves was a talentless Jenas who was only in the squad because he was on the books at Bayern.

Sven wasted Hargreaves England career. Which seems to be coming to an end now due to his chronic injuries. One of the best DM England has seen for a decade and he got how many starts in DM under Sven?

What are you talking about? Sven got bashed by the media for playing Hargreaves in midfield in 2006. He defined him as a player, the press thought he was useless. It was only after that tournament that he was considered a quality player. People laughed at me when I said he was good and deserved to start. People used Hargreaves as a reason to berate Sven (Why has he picked him? He's rubbish etc)

What are you talking about? Sven got bashed by the media for playing Hargreaves in midfield in 2006. He defined him as a player, the press thought he was useless. It was only after that tournament that he was considered a quality player. People laughed at me when I said he was good and deserved to start. People used Hargreaves as a reason to berate Sven (Why has he picked him? He's rubbish etc)

Got to agree, I remember at the time "he plays in a tinpot league"

I actually thought Sven did quite well with the England team, there is such expectation as there will be this time around but seriously, pound for pound, there are about 4 or 5 other nations that are better.

Sven couldn't work miracles but he took them as far and as close as they were going to go.

McClaren on the other hand, reminds be of glorified Kidd.

It is difficult to understadn how some of these assistants who work under some the greatest managers of all time never are able to step up

Neekoy........ it's a nice relaxing Sat morning and you have just sent my blood pressure through the roof!

SGE started well enough but his tactical ineptitude was glaringly exposed in just 45 mins in the the WC quarter final v Brazil. With Ronaldo replaced and Ronaldinho sent off and we did not manage one shot on target in the second half simply because he could not adapt to their deep defending. Unbelievable that he kept us trying to pass to Owen down channels that were no longer there. He spent the second half looking like a rabbit caught in headlights. With all the best teams already out that represented our best chance by a mile to win it for the second time. Just Turkey and the worst German team in living memory in front of us and we could barely muster a bloody shot in 40 mins against 10 men.

Even worse the daft barstewrads at the FA rewarded him with a megabucks contract until 2008! Unbelievable.

There has always been some kind of mystique that to win Seria A in Italy you had to be a master tactician. SGE blew that theory to smithereens in Japan that year. After that his England career was all downhill with single best thing that happened to him was that his ineptitude was not exposed through the FA employing a complete numpty of a manager who was even worse.... Wally!

Edited by thenodrog

Guess it had nothing to do with the quality of players at his disposal?

Anywho, my point wasn't really isolated, it was overall, who can ever be allowed to forget 5 -1?

I think is showed just how well Sven actually did when McClaren failed so miserably with the same players.

Yep, I mean he had a very good group of players, no doubting that, but he has to go down as a good England manager. Have to say that he was pretty unlucky with how England were knocked out in every tournament he went to, the line between success and failure at international tournaments is tiny once you start talking about penalty shoot-outs.

You didn't understand what I was saying.

The fans thought that Hargreaves was useless because Sven made him useless. Sven used Hargreaves on the left wing and in various odd cameo, time-wasting roles - for most of the time.

Those fans deserve criticism for disparaging a player who had not had a real chance in his best position. Sven deserves criticism for not playing the player in his best position.

Yep, I mean he had a very good group of players, no doubting that, but he has to go down as a good England manager. Have to say that he was pretty unlucky with how England were knocked out in every tournament he went to, the line between success and failure at international tournaments is tiny once you start talking about penalty shoot-outs.

He didn't have a clue what to do when things starting going wrong.

Neekoy........ it's a nice relaxing Sat morning and you have just sent my blood pressure through the roof!

SGE started well enough but his tactical ineptitude was glaringly exposed in just 45 mins in the the WC quarter final v Brazil. With Ronaldo replaced and Ronaldinho sent off and we did not manage one shot on target in the second half simply because he could not adapt to their deep defending. Unbelievable that he kept us trying to pass to Owen down channels that were no longer there. He spent the second half looking like a rabbit caught in headlights. With all the best teams already out that represented our best chance by a mile to win it for the second time. Just Turkey and the worst German team in living memory in front of us and we could barely muster a bloody shot in 40 mins against 10 men.

Even worse the daft barstewrads at the FA rewarded him with a megabucks contract until 2008! Unbelievable.

There has always been some kind of mystique that to win Seria A in Italy you had to be a master tactician. SGE blew that theory to smithereens in Japan that year. After that his England career was all downhill with single best thing that happened to him was that his ineptitude was not exposed through the FA employing a complete numpty of a manager who was even worse.... Wally!

Think everybody's comments on Sven and Maclaren are correct, but one thing is the logical reason behind the FA appointing Maclaren which goes back to the days of when Bobby Robson and his team left the England set up.

The FA suddenly found they had no one around with any experience of International football that were worthy of being employed. With Maclaren having been around the international scene with Sven for many a year he was their natural logical choice no mattter how unsuitable he really was.

Edited by JAL

To be fair his record is one of the finest for any england manager ever, and in terms of the quality of players we were very very far off Brazil.

Capello looks the business though, and has the advantage of having better players at his disposal. The crucial thing for him has been the emergence of Barry who balances the side in a way we have never been able to before. Still however in terms of raw player talent we are miles behind Spain, Brazil and Argentina.

The FA suddenly found they had no one around with any experience of International football that were worthy of being employed. With Maclaren having been around the international scene with Sven for many a year he was their natural logical choice no mattter how unsuitable he really was.

I cannot think of any England managers in my lifetime who had any managerial experience of international football when they were appointed. And not all that many who even had international experience as players.

Capello looks the business though, and has the advantage of having better players at his disposal. The crucial thing for him has been the emergence of Barry who balances the side in a way we have never been able to before.

Largely ignored by SGE even though naturally left footed English players are as rare as hens teeth. Unfortunately as Heskey found to his cost SGE rarely looked beyong the top 4 clubs for his squad.

I cannot think of any England managers in my lifetime who had any managerial experience of international football when they were appointed. And not all that many who even had international experience as players.

Yes that is what had gone previously to Maclaren. the FA think tank thought that continuity at International level was KEY to International success and still do.

We better start worrying when you see how close Stuart Pearce is to Capello.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.