SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Smith

benhben

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BBC cut away from the replays as soon as the full nastiness became apparent, despite Lawrenson.

The Sun has the full story today, along with close-up pics and 'bone through sock' quotes from Smith.

Not for the squeamish!

385417[/snapback]

5 horror injuries

1. DAVID BUSST suffered a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula playing for Coventry at Man United in April 1996.

2. LUC NILIS sustained a double fracture in his right leg playing for Aston Villa against Ipswich in September 2000.

3. DJIBRIL CISSE went down in agony under a challenge from Blackburn’s James McEveley in October 2004. The Liverpool star’s left leg crumbled under him, fracturing his tibia and fibula.

4. HENRIK LARSSON suffered a double leg fracture during Celtic’s UEFA Cup clash with Lyon in October 1999.

5. ALF INGE HAALAND suffered a serious knee injury after an over-the-top assault from United skipper Roy Keane in a Manchester derby in April 2001.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but why (apart from the rather infamous Keane incident that actually had nothing to do with the injury to Haaland's knee, but I digress...) is it that the only 'perpetrator' named is a Rovers player?

Edited by Radagast

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but why (apart from the rather infamous Keane incident that actually had nothing to do with the injury to Haaland's knee, but I digress...) is it that the only 'perpetrator' named a Rovers player?

385484[/snapback]

Particularly given that the injury was nothing to do with Jay's tackle anyway - he just fell awkwardly, like Smith on Saturday.

That pic posted above looks nasty... I bet pulling his boot off was an enjoyable experience.

Hope he gets back to playing though - although if it is a year, lets hope it is after any Rovers fixtures wink.gif

I've never known anyone who has had an injury like that, but I did see a guy completely break his knee to bits when I played for my Primary School team... met up with him again at secondary school, and he could walk, jog on it, etc, but was permenantly excused from PE and the likes. Lets hope Smith isnt in the same situation - for better or for worse, he is at least a break from the norm in the EPL.

When I broke my leg they took the boot off right there.  The sock was cut off from what I remember, I was in shock. The worst bit was having x-rays with my lower leg at a cock eyed angle.

385525[/snapback]

How do you remember? You were in shock tongue.gif (kidding. i'm sure you can still remember things that happened whilst in shock).

The only reason this is getting so much talk is because it looks so bad. I've broken stuff and sliced the ends of fingers. Very very painful for a while, a couple of days later its not too bad and then you get on with it. Cruciate ligaments can take longer to heal and are more likely to end a career but don't look gruesome so don't get all this hot air.

As someone else said - its not as if he's dead or anything. No big deal

I truly hope Totti makes the World Cup, and win it for the Italians. He's been nothing short of brilliant all season for Roma, and has showed character and basically given up his obvious titlewinning wishes to help his beloved Roma.

385751[/snapback]

Overated pile of poo, like most Italian footballers.

Italy will do nothing.

I truly hope Totti makes the World Cup, and win it for the Italians. He's been nothing short of brilliant all season for Roma, and has showed character and basically given up his obvious titlewinning wishes to help his beloved Roma.

385751[/snapback]

Yes, it takes an amazing principled character of a man to spit on someone.

Yes, it takes an amazing principled character of a man to spit on someone.

385758[/snapback]

Sometimes a little spittle is more than justified - Frank Rijkaard gobbing a lungful into the back of Voller's mullet remains one of the greatest football images for me.

Wikipedia.org: A goodwill ambassador for UNICEF, Totti allowed two books to be published containing jokes made at his expense to raise money for the children's charity. He was named by Pelé as one of the top 125 greatest living footballers in March 2004.

Often referred to as a 'dumb Roman', Totti released a book of jokes about himself, with the proceeds going to charity. The book was a hit and a bestseller for many months.

Can find several more charitywork for you, if you want to.

As for your spitting response, I apologize if this was untrue. I still think it's a silly response though, please find a footballing superstar (other than the exceptionally boring Michael Owen) who hasn't messed up a few times in his career. Totti's temper is his worst enemy, but as said above, everyone can make mistakes.

EDIT: My initial point was really that Totti is one of very few club players in the modern game. He's rejected lucurative moves to Juve, Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona to stay and fight for Roma, in spite of his team's troubles both financially and on the pitch.

Edited by herbergeehh

If Totti stepped up and smacked the guy in the face, I would think he just let his temper get the better of him. I'd think he is an idiot, but not a pansying spitter, wuss. Its not the idea of losing his head for a split second, it was that his reaction was to spit, like a spoilt four year old, or Diouf. That and the fact he has a tendancy to immitate a sack of potatoes far too often, and all I see is a dishonest (on the pitch), but highly gifted football player. However, the WC doesnt need him, because there are plenty of people who are highly gifted who dont come with the baggage of being a hatable footballer. I'm not saying he deserves to have the injury - no-one does - I'm just saying I wont miss him. His loyalty to Roma is to be commended, and his charity work too. But at the world cup, its Totti the footballer who will/would be on display, not Totti for Roma, or Totti the charity man.

Fair enough, I get your point. To Totti's defence though, Poulsen used every trick in the book to wind him up, kicking his heels and elbowing him when the ref wasn't watching. (which really is just a more accepted way of being a coward imo)

It's not really a discussion, he lost it when he shouldn't have. I'm just sick and tired of him being branded as "the spitter", leaving his fantastic ability and usually good nature in the dark.

That being said, this thread is about recovering from injury, and Totti has stated that he intends to be fit and ready for the World Cup. Time will show smile.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.