BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walkersteel Blackburn End?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, rovers have never tried their initiatives (such as quid a kid) for the big draw games such as chelsea/ man united. they know that the chelsea game will not sell out so why not do quid a kid for this so that the kids can come and watch a spectacle rather than a very average game against the likes of portsmouth. People will be inspired by the likes of joe cole rather than andy o brien

Have you ever heard of substitution? If so, you'll know exactly why Rovers don't do kids for a quid against the biggest teams.

Stu - still managed to get through as under 12 on bbe when i was 15.

Prior to that used to get lifted over nuttall st turnstiles until i was 7 !

Fair play to him - better than staying away !

We've all been lifted over a turnstile! Sadly for me I dont think many people could manage it these days :lol:

What we do forget is that for a family of 2 and 2 kids - i can spend over £100 for 90 mins football where i am not even guaranteed to be entertained vs bloody Everton !

.....And then only four days later be expected to pull out another £100.

Half a months wages gone on tickets to see football : UNREALISTIC, UNMANAGEABLE FOR ALMOST 1/3 OF OUR SUPPORT!!!

.....And then only four days later be expected to pull out another £100.

Half a months wages gone on tickets to see football : UNREALISTIC, UNMANAGEABLE FOR ALMOST 1/3 OF OUR SUPPORT!!!

If you add on travel (say petrol is roughly £30 for me from Cumbria), I just could'nt afford such games. The only reason I am able to attend this season is I still qualify for a YA/ST, and thank God I got it in the early bird offer :D

If you add on travel (say petrol is roughly £30 for me from Cumbria), I just could'nt afford such games. The only reason I am able to attend this season is I still qualify for a YA/ST, and thank God I got it in the early bird offer :D

And I think therein lies the point. Those who are paying 2 x £100 chose to do so (or rather chose not to buy season tickets to avoid this)

At the start of the season there are always games close together. Doesn't take a genius to work it out. Therefore either they should have budget better or bought a season ticket.

Now I feel sorry for people who can't afford to go to football, but truthfully with an minimum average cost per game of £12.50 (£250 cheapest held-priced season ticket / 20 matches- 19 in the league plus UEFA cup game), I don't feel that many cannot afford it. So now it costs more- TOUGH.

its all well and good people saying that watching rovers is chaeaper then other teams and to be fair it is cheaper, but its still not cheap.

even if as jan says you get the lowest price seat, which is in area in which the view is quite bad hence the lower cost, by the time you have added on travel, food etc its near £30 and this is for the worst seat, and of which you have to find the up front costs or pay extra for monthy payments.

Too top it all players at our club are moaning at £40,000 per week yes per week, that will take me three years to earn, and yet the players are great for playing for us and us fans who cannot afford to go are some how not really fans.

Well for some people it as gone on far enough, and we watch rovers the best we can yes on sky or in a pub, and we/I put our/ my family first, which means I will not put it on a card or get into debit so that I can watch a match. Would I like to yes, can I afford to No, answer down to a pub, and no I do not spend alot in the pub three pound at most.

Is this fair to the club. no, but we have to pay our way and live within our means just like the club as to. The outcome is that choices have to be made, and rovers are not my number one aim, I hope they do well and when their have the £10 games I do go. But for most of the time I cannot afford to watch them live.

hypothtical. for the record i think prices will drop in the next few years.

my gripe is, as i've mentioned previously, some people use pricing as an excuse.

going back to everton, i take it JW upper central is #39.00 and cheaper around the rest of the ground ? the simple solution is to sit somewhere else. the JW upper central is hardly ever full anyway!

Capt, i'll bet everton will bring 5000, we'll see on the night.

i can see where you're coming from, (in reference to ticket prices), but i cant see decrease in price leading to an increase rovers fans attending ewood.

we've never had great crowds.

Now you really are talking crap. 56,000 on a Monday night match against Burnley in 1960! Average home gate during the 40's and 50's well over 30,000 often in the 40k's and occasionally over 50k.

Where are they now? See the debate above and also refer to my many posts on this subject over the last 3 years. Now at last a few others have awakened and joined in with my complaints and condemnation of the exploitation of the true fan!

Edited by Fife Rover

even if as jan says you get the lowest price seat, which is in area in which the view is quite bad hence the lower cost, by the time you have added on travel, food etc its near £30 and this is for the worst seat, and of which you have to find the up front costs or pay extra for monthy payments.

Is this fair to the club. no, but we have to pay our way and live within our means just like the club as to. The outcome is that choices have to be made, and rovers are not my number one aim, I hope they do well and when their have the £10 games I do go. But for most of the time I cannot afford to watch them live.

The sort of logic you give out really annoys me.

The game is from 3 to 4.45 on a Saturday. There is absolutely NO NEED WHATSOEVER for anyone to buy food. On a normal day you wouldn't eat at that time, so why on a Saturday? Have lunch before you go and dinner after you go home.

Also travel costs. If you live in Nelson and are driving, it's 14.7 miles. Even if you take the inland revenue milage allowance (which is meant to cover depreciation and all costs on a medium car- actually it makes you a profit) it costs £6.18. The train is £5.35. Presume a bus would be cheaper still. So instead of the £30 you're looking at a maximum of £19 including travel- assuming no railcards available. That's £40 on an average month. For sky- with sports= it's £43. Add to that pub costs and the argument falls apart more

What you're saying is that Premiership football is worth £10 to you. That's a price that should and will never come again on a regular basis for adults. You can't go to League 2 for that, and in fact some conference sides aren't much short of that.

Now you really are talking crap. 56,000 on a Monday night match against Burnley in 1960! Average home gate during the 40's and 50's well over 30,000 often in the 40k's and occasionally over 50k.

Fife - I think you'll find Rovers' highest ever league average was just over 30,000 the first season back in the top flight in the late 50's. As you say, certain games attracted very high attendances, Liverpool twice in a week at Ewood in the 50's, FA Cup & second div, 52k and 40k, Burnley in the FA Cup in 60, 53k with 10k locked outside etc etc, but the highest average has been 30k. :brfc:

The poll that matters is the c. 10,000 that turn up for £10 tickets at League Cup games. There is no indication that reduced prices increases attendance and hasn't been for at least five years sadly.

League cup matches aren't an attractive fixture any more - part of that is down to the fans having to prioritise their budgets . Even a tenner is too much for an early round milk cup fixture when you've paid £100 for a real match for the family a few days previously .

Reduced prices for ATTRACTIVE fixtures which won't sell out anyway (ie ...any match these days !) has not yet been tried out . It should be . If , as Paul says , the Rovers have given up on the fanbase and are trying to concentrate simply on game-by-game maximum revenue approach , then they are surely helping to kill us as a force in the long term .

It's not all about short term economics/accounting ; it's about increasing the long term fan base - and here we have an advantage over similar sized clubs because of the Sky money and the Walker trust money . The board are not doing enough with regards to increasing the fan base . They have to get kids in the ground even if it costs them in the short term .

League cup matches aren't an attractive fixture any more - part of that is down to the fans having to prioritise their budgets . Even a tenner is too much for an early round milk cup fixture when you've paid £100 for a real match for the family a few days previously .

Reduced prices for ATTRACTIVE fixtures which won't sell out anyway (ie ...any match these days !) has not yet been tried out . It should be . If , as Paul says , the Rovers have given up on the fanbase and are trying to concentrate simply on game-by-game maximum revenue approach , then they are surely helping to kill us as a force in the long term .

It's not all about short term economics/accounting ; it's about increasing the long term fan base - and here we have an advantage over similar sized clubs because of the Sky money and the Walker trust money . The board are not doing enough with regards to increasing the fan base . They have to get kids in the ground even if it costs them in the short term .

Doing this sounds great, but all that would happen is that the club would get even less revenue from the more popular games. It's clear from the remarks on here that many would wait and get those tickets (which they'd buy anyway) cheap. Bad idea. However, giving cheap kids tickets wouldn't be too bad- as long as they came with an adult who pays full price.

Totally agree. But when did football clubs ever think beyond the end of next week? Of course the club has a duty to maximise revenue, but the key point being debated is over what time horizon? 36 quid will no doubt be maximising revenue for the first home game, but will such an approach, if continued, be maximising revenue for the season? I think not. Why do Tesco do Buy One Get One Free's when they could sell both at the usual price? To protect and grow their customer base, and revenue, over the long haul.

While lower prices don't increase crowds, higher prices do seem to reduce them, as we have seen over the past 5 years. While season tickets may be reasonably priced, they do not appeal to the many fans who won't, for whatever reason, be attending every game. The club won't grow the season ticket base without first growing the walk ons

The simple fact of the matter is that I am not going to the game for £36. If it was £25 I would be going.

Given the average earnings of the area, the fact that it is against arguably inferior opposition, and the fact that we are to play the champions the week after, I think many people are in the same boat as me.

I don't pick and choose my games though - it's simply a matter of whichever I can get to, I normally go (I work most weekends). However, I refuse to be ripped off just in the name of 'loyalty'.

£36 is alot of money to spend.

if you work minum wage from 9-5, and thats without brakes thats £36

then u need to tax that, and then if your payin for your kid

then drinks, food and programmes, you have to work for more then a day for 90 min off football.

Edited by OhmiBRFC

Why do Tesco do Buy One Get One Free's when they could sell both at the usual price? To protect and grow their customer base, and revenue, over the long haul.

They sell crap products at lower prices....

....so that would be your league cup match. Are the £10 UEFA Cup tickets on the horison yet? Wonder if we will match the Champions League attendances....?

The simple fact of the matter is that I am not going to the game for £36. If it was £25 I would be going.

Given the average earnings of the area, the fact that it is against arguably inferior opposition, and the fact that we are to play the champions the week after, I think many people are in the same boat as me.

I don't pick and choose my games though - it's simply a matter of whichever I can get to, I normally go (I work most weekends). However, I refuse to be ripped off just in the name of 'loyalty'.

This is falling on deaf ears, but it's £27.

£36 is alot of money to spend.

if you work minum wage from 9-5, and thats without brakes thats £36

then u need to tax that, and then if your payin for your kid

then drinks, food and programmes, you have to work for more then a day for 90 min off football.

If you worked minimum wage from 9-5 without breaks (which would be illegal) it would be £40.40.

Which makes an annual salary of £10,504. based on 40 hours work.

Or £175 per week after standard deductions (ish).

So a ST in the riverside would cost 3% of your net income.

If you worked minimum wage from 9-5 without breaks (which would be illegal) it would be £40.40.

Which makes an annual salary of £10,504. based on 40 hours work.

Or £175 per week after standard deductions (ish).

So a ST in the riverside would cost 3% of your net income.

You're being too sensible Stu! You're talking like an accountant ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.