BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ben Thatcher

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Whilst I'm all for footballers showing aggression, hard-tackling and a never-say-die attitude, this was something like you'd find in a pub in Colne on a Friday night.

Maybe a six-month ban would be tad harsh - not in terms of the offence committed, but more so in terms of previous action taken in respect to similar incidents. I think an eight game ban would be more appropriate. A fine would be insignificant to the player, and in my opinion the club shouldn't suffer financially (or otherwise) because of the actions of one player.

I think maybe Ben Thatcher and Andy Todd should do one of those celebrity deathmatch thingys.

According to SSN, because he has already been booked he can have no further punishment!

It was a strange one by the ref, if he booked Thatcher that must mean he saw the incident. If he saw the incident, then surely under the laws of the game, it warranted nothing except a straight red card. If he didn't see the incident, then he shouldn't have booked him - simple as.

Hmmm, I think Mendes' head isn't the only one that should be rolling here. :angry:

if someone did that in the pub, they would get arrested as it is assault.

mabe the CPS should look into this assault as mendes was out cold before he hit the floor.

the reckless "tackle" is probably the 2nd worst act of assault i have seen. only becasue of the roy keane- alf inge haaland incident

all goes back to consistency and refs bottling it.

the refs in the prem are meant to be full time and "elite"

i have never seen so many cowards in my life :angry:

he done him good and proper, mendes had a fit, something like a seizure i beleve.

i don't think anyone seen that comming, because the referee took action with the yellow card, no further action can be taken.

i think the decent thing which will probably happen is a sorry from thatcher.

Bit ironic we start a thread about a players challenge when we've had to put up with this crap for years from other clubs, i mean, we have a player who (according to Jamie Carragher) tried to snap his leg in half

I think this was a bit different. Yes, it was an awful challenge that broke Carragher's leg, but at least Neil was going for the ball with his leg i.e. a normal if bad tackle. Thatcher's attack was clearly pre-meditated and led with a deliberate elbow - he was just out to get Mendes. I'm not sure you can be too hard on the ref though. Like me, he probably saw it as a clumsy challenge at first. it was only with the benefit of a slow motion action replay that you could see what actually happened. As someone else said (and Gary Lineker) it got worse every time you saw it.

Did'nt see it and prob need to but before there is a lynching party formed consider that something might have gone before like mendes leaving his studs in a previous tackle / insulting his family a la Zidane / or blatant diving. Some players gat away with stuff whilst others dont.

btw if it's the latter then I simply dont care about Mendes health and will elevate Thatcher to hero status.

Disgusting challenge. I'm only glad I saw it on MOTD as it stopped me thinking about Todd's effort on Andy Johnson.

Ben is a Moron, Todd is an arse.

Who the hell is that with the two footballs shoved in her top ?

There is absolutely no room in the game for what Thatcher did last night, i thought we had some nutcases playing for us e.g. Todd but Thatcher is a nutter, i know Mendes wound him up a bit earlier in the match but there were no need to nearly kill the man. He gave the lad a seizure on the way to the hospital and knocked him out cold. IMO if a player does something like that regardless if the referee believes he dealt with it in his way, that player should ahve a sixth month ban and that will stop the thug from doing it again...for a while. Thatcher is no stranger to incidents like this and we all know he has a mean streak in him and IMO he meant to knock the poor lad out. He's just scum!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.