SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Captain?

ABBEY

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably pick oojier as captain, although i'd be happy with sav,brad or tugay.

Not sure what lucas expected from the fans after constant paper talk from his agent about hin wanting to leave.

I'm also surprised that Liverpool want him, with him not being our first (or second?)choice RB

While I like Ooijer, I don't think he should be given the armband, he's only just arrived.. he even seems to think so himself, as seen on the latest Ewood E-males thing:

Q:How did it feel to be given the captaincy for the game against Tottenham at Ewood Park - did it come as a big surprise? And if you hadn't been chosen, who would you have picked?

A:Similarly, it's always an honour to captain a club team. I'm still new at the club and I still don't know everybody, so it was a really big surprise for me. When you've got players like Brad Friedel and Tugay, who are long servants at the club and great players, I would probably have chosen one of those.

Q:Hi Andre, have you considered what it would be like captaining Rovers on a permanent basis?

A:I've not considered it yet. I'm just new at the club, there are a lot of players who have been at Rovers for a long time and as I said, I was surprised to be given it last time out, so I've not given it much thought.

Mark Hughes has no intention of taking the captaincy off Lucas Neill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/6175067.stm

As for the booing of Neill its pathetic. To boo one of your own team during a match is beyond belief. Are you going to boo him every match until the end of the season should rovers not let him go. He signed a contract and is prepared to honour it. He has not asked to leave he has said he is not prepared to sign another contract. He hasn't done a Bellamy or a Le Saux or a Shearer, he has laid his cards on the table and as far as I can see has done his best for the team. Give the chap a break.

Mark Hughes has no intention of taking the captaincy off Lucas Neill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/6175067.stm

As for the booing of Neill its pathetic. To boo one of your own team during a match is beyond belief. Are you going to boo him every match until the end of the season should rovers not let him go. He signed a contract and is prepared to honour it. He has not asked to leave he has said he is not prepared to sign another contract. He hasn't done a Bellamy or a Le Saux or a Shearer, he has laid his cards on the table and as far as I can see has done his best for the team. Give the chap a break.

He wants a new challenge, which is fair enough. Wish he would stay, but he doesn't. It's isn't like Baby Le Saux, who scweamed and scweamed until he was sick so stop the booing.

Wow, two posters in a row that make sense. I agree completely. I wish he'd have signed a new contract last summer, but he didn't. He has not requested a move or whined to the press about it, and I've seen nothing in his performance to suggest that he's not giving his all. Booing him is just stupid, and may only serve as a self-fulfilling prophecy; being booed by the fans for absolutely no reason surely can't result in anything positive, can it?

That being said, I do think it'd be better to give the armband to someone who is likely to be here next season.

I don't know why so many posters on here think they know better than Mark Hughes what is going on at the club. He says back off Lucas and there has not been any adverse effects from keeping him and making him captain then I'm sorry but I'll believe the guy who sees him not just in the 90 mins on the pitch but every day in training as well. Lucas Neill may want away but he still looks delighted when we do well and as unhappy as most when we lose so just what do the people who boo hope to achieve by what they do. Fan power will not drive Hughes into selling Neill - only the possibility of getting in a replacement will persuade him that selling Neill is a possibility so he could be here till summer. Are you really going to carry on booing all that time?

For the majority of the time Lucas Neill has been with us he has been a possesion conceding, free kick and penalty conceding leg-breaking liabilty. He has one decent season and all of a sudden he is Billy Bigtime. He is turning his back on OUR club when OUR club had ample opportunity to turn it's back on him. Yes I will continue to boo Niell, for as long as our otherwise excellent manager continues to allow him to wear the shirt that he dosn't deserve to wear.

If you think it'll help Gaz, go fot it. Whatever get's you through the night. I can't see how that'll help Blackburn Rovers though. What you gonna do if he has a good game? Will you be gutted?

I don't think he played at all well last Saturday but I don't see the point in booing one of our own players. He'll be off in January, he's playing to the rules that are in place that mean the players hold all the aces. Nothing we can do about it.

If you think it'll help Gaz, go fot it. Whatever get's you through the night. I can't see how that'll help Blackburn Rovers though. What you gonna do if he has a good game? Will you be gutted?

I don't think he played at all well last Saturday but I don't see the point in booing one of our own players. He'll be off in January, he's playing to the rules that are in place that mean the players hold all the aces. Nothing we can do about it.

sorry but he is taking the p--- out of the club and does not deserve to be captain of a club that he couldn't give a toss about.

i dis agree with Sparky on this one he deserves the boos he got on Saturday and i hope he gets more tonight

You really are pathetic.

Yes I will continue to boo Niell, for as long as our otherwise excellent manager continues to allow him to wear the shirt that he dosn't deserve to wear.

And so are you

You really are pathetic.

And so are you

will u not be booing when he is playing for someone else against us? I think you are pathetic if you can't see it in your own eyes how much Neil is taking the p--- out of us

Edited by gazsimm

will u not be booing when he is playing for someone else against us? I think you are pathetic if you can't see it in your own eyes how much Neil is taking the p--- out of us

He is employed by us, he works hard for us, I don't see the issue. He has the right to move clubs if he likes just in the same way you have the right to move jobs. He is in the team because he is our best option available. He is not taking the p---, he is just behaving in a purely professional manner for better or for worse.

However I do completely agree that he shouldn't be captain, that just seems daft as we will have to hand it over to someone else in Jan/Feb. Savage is here for the long haul and is committed and I cannot work out for the life of me why he isn't captain already in Nelsen's absence.

u might be on your own then

Have never booed an ex player yet as it only seems to wind them up.

Have never booed a current player because it seems to me that boos are best kept for the incompetent officials and opposition players like Diouf who generally deserves everything he gets.

that'll be at least 2 of us not booing then.

He is employed by us, he works hard for us, I don't see the issue. He has the right to move clubs if he likes just in the same way you have the right to move jobs. He is in the team because he is our best option available. He is not taking the p---, he is just behaving in a purely professional manner for better or for worse.

However I do completely agree that he shouldn't be captain, that just seems daft as we will have to hand it over to someone else in Jan/Feb. Savage is here for the long haul and is committed and I cannot work out for the life of me why he isn't captain already in Nelsen's absence.

Do you think he is going to be fully committed in a 50-50 challenge, i very much doubt it

u might be on your own then

Are you one of those who stands at the back of the Blackburn End singing "stand up and support your team" to other fans around ??

Kind of ironic that it was that mob who started the boo's off on Saturday and probably will today.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.