BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Captain?

ABBEY

Neil slumped down the tunnel at Salzburg immediately, and didnt even acknowledge the wonderful support of the 700 that had travelled- :angry:

yes he may well of been angry about the second equaliser, but that was unacceptable. Savage, Tugay and Friedal all made the effort.

Savage must get the armband for me, or Brad.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've asked time and time again where Lucas has actually said himself that he wants to leave. Didn't see the programme last night - too busy watching Peterborough scare Everton - but it sounds like Lucas's agent has been saying a lot of things, not always very reliably, and all the stories about Lucas wanting away that I've seen have come from him so can we please accept that, whatever Mark Hughes' motivation is in giving Lucas the captain's armband and however much some people think he shouldn't have it, for the moment at least, he is our player and our captain and as such deserves our support.

Edited by gumboots

Neil slumped down the tunnel at Salzburg immediately, and didnt even acknowledge the wonderful support of the 700 that had travelled- :angry:

yes he may well of been angry about the second equaliser, but that was unacceptable. Savage, Tugay and Friedal all made the effort.

Savage must get the armband for me, or Brad.

fair enough, it is always a nice touch when players acknowledge the fans, the three you mention seem to do it a lot more than any other player i remember!

however as captain, your job is to lead the team, not bum the fans, so whether or not lucas neill deserves to be captain should be judged by his performances and actions as captain, rather than wether or not he waves to the fans

Tugay and Savage are crowd pleasers and always acknowledge the crowd at Ewood too. Friedel is just a genuine all round good guy on the field. If you're the captain you not only carry responsibility for your own mistakes but also for the team's performance and so may feel twice as bad and just want to get off the field as fast as possible. Also Lucas had the world cup last minute goal experience - perhaps deja vu just got to him.

fair enough, it is always a nice touch when players acknowledge the fans, the three you mention seem to do it a lot more than any other player i remember!

however as captain, your job is to lead the team, not bum the fans, so whether or not lucas neill deserves to be captain should be judged by his performances and actions as captain, rather than wether or not he waves to the fans

you obviously didn't make the trip?

bum the fans? a captain should be judged on EVERYTHING, on the field and off it. They are an ambassador for the club, in all that they do. The least he could do was as you put it "wave to the fans". I would look upon it as thanking the people that have a large part in paying his wages.

I will judge him on the field too- since he's been captain hes not recaptured the form from last year- on your argument Bret should be captain as he has been outstanding recently.

Surely it should go to someone committed to the clause, not someone who is refusing to sign a new contract and who wanted to sign for liverpool?

you obviously didn't make the trip?

and my whereabouts last thursday has exactly what to do with your argument?

whether or not i was in austria has nothing to do with how a captain should be judged! i would rather rovers' captain (whoever hughes sees fit to wear the armband) did his job on the pitch, even if that meant he completely ignored the fans. i come to ewood to watch rovers win games, not to watch a pantomime with crowd interaction.

and my whereabouts last thursday has exactly what to do with your argument?

whether or not i was in austria has nothing to do with how a captain should be judged! i would rather rovers' captain (whoever hughes sees fit to wear the armband) did his job on the pitch, even if that meant he completely ignored the fans. i come to ewood to watch rovers win games, not to watch a pantomime with crowd interaction.

The point was if you had gone all the way to Austria, you at least (like every other fan who i spoke too out there agreed) would expect the players to thank you for your support. Its not too much to ask is it, especially from the capitain?!! :o

The point which seems to have been missed is the club captain should be judged mainly on what he does ON the pitch, but also he is judged on what he does OFF it too.

The point was if you had gone all the way to Austria, you at least (like every other fan who i spoke too out there agreed) would expect the players to thank you for your support. Its not too much to ask is it, especially from the capitain?!! :o

The point which seems to have been missed is the club captain should be judged mainly on what he does ON the pitch, but also he is judged on what he does OFF it too.

Totally agree - the reaction from Lucas felt like a bit of a kick in the teeth to all those who had travelled so far at so much expense last week. As captain, surely more should be expected of him than the rest of the players?

Just seems that his reaction last Thursday is symptomatic of his attitude in general since failing to get his move - not interested

So if Amoruso or Matteo clapped the fans after every game.. you'd make them Captain?

Conversely... if the club signed Gerrard from Liverpool and made him captain.. would you get on his back and demand that he get stripped of the armband if he didn't clap the fans every week?

I admit it is nice when they do clap the fans.. but at the end of the day the club pay Lucas (and his mates) good money to win football games, not to be nice genial chaps who you can take home to your grandmother.

Edited by pg

It's utterly embarrasing to have Neill as our captain. He's been a liability often this season (red cards, penalty misses, giving penalties away), and for some reason still seems to think he's too good for us!

Not only should he not be captain, he shouldn't be in the team, the matchday squad or even allowed to train with Savage and co.

We'll get nothing for him in the Summer anyway, stick him in with the kids and let him rot.

Yeah like Savage is a good example of loyal club servant eh T4E? Should we canvas a few Brum supporters?

We don't know these players as people at all and whatever Hughes is he is not a fool nor is he a weak manager so you really need to bear that in mind. Anyway every captain we have had in recent years has prob been transferred away from the club in acrimonious circumstances. Given that all the players are mercenaries and they have all come here because we offered em more money than anybody else does, and will all go just as quick as somebody offers them more does it really matter who is captain?

Edited by thenodrog

Yeah like Savage is a good example of loyal club servant eh T4E? Should we canvas a few Brum supporters?

We don't know these players as people at all and whatever Hughes is he is not a fool nor is he a weak manager so you really need to bear that in mind. Anyway every captain we have had in recent years has prob been transferred away from the club in acrimonious circumstances. Given that all the players are mercenaries and they have all come here because we offered em more money than anybody else does, and will all go just as quick as somebody offers them more does it really matter who is captain?

My intention wasn't to single out Savage as a stand up guy, more than he's a member of the first team squad, and Neill shouldn't be. My point would've been made by saying "Tugay and Co.", "Gamst and Co.", or even "Matteo and Co.".

Every captain we've had that has been transferred away has proven themselves -

A. Good enough to be captain, and,

B. Good enough to warrant a move to a higher level.

Lucas Neill is neither of these, and never will be, except in his own mind.

So if Amoruso or Matteo clapped the fans after every game.. you'd make them Captain?

if you read the posts you wouldnt have posted something as stupid as that. No one has ever said clapping the fans is what makes a captain.

i will say it for the final time, its what they do ON & OFF the pitch. its not that hard to understand surely?

:tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.