BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Captain?

ABBEY

Was at the game tonight with mates who have been pro Niell throughout this protracted Liverpool/Barca (you must be joking!) saga. One of the previosly pro Niell lads stated he never wants to see him in a Rovers shirt again after his insult to those who have contributed to his wages for the last 4 years and have had the temerity to voice their dissapproval of his public snubbing of our club.

When you give it you have got to be able to take it ! It looks like your mates can't.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Neill has said all along he will leave at the end of his contract. It's the club who have given the impression of a chance of him staying. Booing him last Saturday was a joke.

Tonights response wasnt the greatest thing to do but in a way I know where he's coming from.

Well done Lucas is what I will say - those morons who boo-ed him on Saturday obviously haven't a clue. Picture yourself in Lucas' position - playing in a foreign country with no affiliation for a certain club - who would you want to play for?

The guy is second on the rovers team sheet every week (after Brad) - has never been dropped - never given less than 100% - never said he will sign another contract - never lied to the fans (Bellamy).

He has been quoted as saying (in the Aussie press - I don't know how reliable this is) that he is financially secure so the money doesn't matter to him.

All I see is a player, not naturally gifted, who has worked SO hard at his game over the past 5 years or so, that now is on the verge of joining sides that are likely to be fighting for titles and cups. He is unlikely to get that at Rovers is he?

I thought Ooijer did ok in the couple of games he had as skipper.

Seemed to me that the added responsibility brought the best out of him.... like he felt he was obliged to lead by example........ which, of course, you should!!

Anyone agree??

Yes I agree entirely with that statement.

Although I would be equally happy with Savage or Tugay. Nothing at all against Brad but I really don't think a 'keeper should be captain.

Well done Lucas is what I will say - those morons who boo-ed him on Saturday obviously haven't a clue. Picture yourself in Lucas' position - playing in a foreign country with no affiliation for a certain club - who would you want to play for?

The guy is second on the rovers team sheet every week (after Brad) - has never been dropped - never given less than 100% - never said he will sign another contract - never lied to the fans (Bellamy).

He has been quoted as saying (in the Aussie press - I don't know how reliable this is) that he is financially secure so the money doesn't matter to him.

All I see is a player, not naturally gifted, who has worked SO hard at his game over the past 5 years or so, that now is on the verge of joining sides that are likely to be fighting for titles and cups. He is unlikely to get that at Rovers is he?

Take your sensible posts elsewhere. People don't want to read them here!

Disagree totally.

First of all, I respect totally his decision to try and maximise his contractual situation by leaving the Club. That's his prerogative and in a financial sense you can't blame him. It's just that personally if I was manager, I wouldn't have picked him again.

However once picked, he is duty bound to perform to his maximum potential. In some games he has done that, in others, his mind has clearly been elsewhere. He can hardly be surprised if in the circumstances he gets a negative reaction from the crowd.

Tonight, other than get lucky, and on the end of a 93rd minute chance, his performance stank the place out. For the captain of the club to then run 80 yards to take the mickey out of the Blackburn End turned my stomach.

Never want to see him in a Rovers shirt again.

That completely took the gloss off a welcome but totally undeserved win. The youngsters did nothing to put their claims forward and the senior players were even worse

Was at the game tonight with mates who have been pro Niell throughout this protracted Liverpool/Barca (you must be joking!) saga. One of the previosly pro Niell lads stated he never wants to see him in a Rovers shirt again after his insult to those who have contributed to his wages for the last 4 years and have had the temerity to voice their dissapproval of his public snubbing of our club.

You are a clueless idiot and so are your mates.

And - just as a random comment on the side - you can't even spell the name of the captain of the club you apparently support.

Back to Lucas Neill.

As a football player he has come from nowhere (Australia) via nowhere (Millwall) to nowhere (a decisive European tie at home in Blackburn watched by 12000). On the way he's captained his national side to an unprecedented pinnacle of achievement in the World Cup, which turned to failure in an instant.

He's been told - rightly or comically wrongly - that he might have a chance of "making it" at nicer places than Blackburn, maybe even places where the sun shines.

So he hasn't signed a contract extension with us. He's honouring what he's singned up for - and with some style and commitment.

Mark Hughes values that commitment and has been very public in his support for his captain.

But this messageboard is riddled with spoilt pr!cks who know better - who are suddenly expert judges of morality and contract terms, of visible on-field performance and invisible off-field motivation, who know more than Hughes and his team, John Williams and his team, and all the established professional players who wear the blue and white shirts and clearly support Lucas Neill as their captain.

It's pathetic that elements of the so called support think they know better, and I for one totally applaud Neill in making his point tonight. What the **** is the point of going to Ewood if you're only there to undermine the (manager appointed) core of the team????!

Rev's post is the perfect case in point. Nose - cut off to spite face - all over it. You used to sit behind Uncle Jack and you should know better. The likes of Le Saux, Shearer and Sutton all stuffed us whilst under contract, Lucas Neill has done no such thing and has never had a direct quote in any media - all that lot did.

Grow up and enjoy the European ride. This time next season there'll be no Europe, no Neill, and possibly no hope of such heights ever again.

You are a clueless idiot and so are your mates. .......... w up and enjoy the European ride. This time next season there'll be no Europe, no Neill, and possibly no hope of such heights ever again.

Usual tripe from the boardroom apologist.

Neill has been quoted as saying he would like to join Liverpool (Hughes acknowledged such after the match last night) and that is reason enough in my book for him being dropped from the team and being roundly booed by supporters who help to pay his wages and were at Ewood decades before he was born and will still be there decades after he has left.

The fact that Hughes chose to make him captain of my club is an insult to Rovers fans in my view.

Neil is an ordinary player whose performances since the World Cup last summer have been lamentable, none more so than last night when he was lucky not to give away a penalty and showed a general lack of interest. He should be fined by Hughes for his goal "celebration".

The sooner he is sold the better.

Usual tripe from the boardroom apologist.

Neill has been quoted as saying he would like to join Liverpool (Hughes acknowledged such after the match last night) and that is reason enough in my book for him being dropped from the team and being roundly booed by supporters who help to pay his wages and were at Ewood decades before he was born and will still be there decades after he has left.

The fact that Hughes chose to make him captain of my club is an insult to Rovers fans in my view.

Neil is an ordinary player whose performances since the World Cup last summer have been lamentable, none more so than last night when he was lucky not to give away a penalty and showed a general lack of interest. He should be fined by Hughes for his goal "celebration".

The sooner he is sold the better.

You are the first to slag off the current set up, the recent set up - you hate Hughes, you hated Souness, you hated Parkes, you hated Hodgson, we can go back as far as you like idiot.

Am I the boardroom apologist? Or are you the club idiot?

Rovers are rocking the boat above their station, some of us love it, some knobs diss it for points. Step forward sulkings and show us your positive credentials.

Lucas Neil's reaction to scoring last night was appalling - more so given he is supposedly captain.

So what he has had a little bit of stick in one game this season - and his performance in the first half of that game deserved it. Lucas Neil is certainly not the first player to get some grief from his own fasn and nor will he be the last - remember Mr Wilcox?

Quite happy not to see him play for Rovers again - bugger off to Liverpool's subs bench

You are the first to slag off the current set up, the recent set up - you hate Hughes, you hated Souness, you hated Parkes, you hated Hodgson, we can go back as far as you like idiot.

Point of order, oh beery one.

I have never "hated" any of the above. I wanted Souness removed from his job because he was harming my club. Until the recent run of poor results and his decision to give Neill the captaincy, Hughes has always had my full support. The other two needed to be sacked, but I was hardly alone in thinking that.

What is mystifying is your continued support of the discredited Souness and your refusal to criticise the club over any matter.

Look at yourself in the mirror and you will see an idiot of the villiage variety.

I was watching Skysports news last night - and Tony Gale was doing the game. He was talking about Lucas - and his opinion was his best position was right-back. Gale then went on to make a bit of an idiot of himself.

"I remember when Ray Harford signed Neill and he was telling me what a great player he was going to be"

He sounded like my Nan making up a story.

Watching neills antics can only send negative vibes to his team mates and fans alike,what do the likes of nolan and derbyshire make of their captains goal celebrations ?? neill has been a good servant to the club but is now taking the ###### out of us all,he should be dropped and sold asap...........much rather see a committed player of any ability than someone who is clearly protecting himself.Only ever criticised hughes once before when he played oijjer against chelsea..... this situation is the second !!!!!

I was watching Skysports news last night - and Tony Gale was doing the game. He was talking about Lucas - and his opinion was his best position was right-back. Gale then went on to make a bit of an idiot of himself.

"I remember when Ray Harford signed Neill and he was telling me what a great player he was going to be"

He sounded like my Nan making up a story.

Lucas played for Ray at Millwall, when Ray was the Millwall and he recommended Lucas to Rovers.

"Lucas played for Ray at Millwall, when Ray was the Millwall and he recommended Lucas to Rovers." Indeed he did and if Ray were still alive I'd bet he'd have a word of advice for him. Ray Harford was a fantastic coach with terrific knowledge of the game, no wonder King Kenny insisted upon him as his right hand man.

For what's its worth I don't agree with booing our own players, although on occasions I can understand why. I must confess that I have in the past groaned loudly, with the use of a poor adjective!

Two wrongs don't make a right and a player should not respond to the supporters who feel that they contribute to their wages.

Irrespective of the man's leadership, temperament and character, I personally do not think the captain of Blackburn Rovers Football Club should be a player who publicly (either through comments made in the Oz press, or through his agent) announces that his immediate future lies elsewhere.

For the first time I disagree with MH and think he is wrong. I bow to his greater knowledge of football, but one thing I am 100% about is that I will still be at Ewood supporting The Rovers long after Lucas departs for Liverpool and MH for Man Utd.

Possibly other supporters feel likewise that it is an honour to follow the likes of Bob Crompton, Ronnie Clayton & Derek Fazackerley, the Board need to intervene.

Edited by Boz

My view is simple whilst he was putting in the effort, I don’t care if he wants to leave at the end of his contract. He keeps quiet; we keep quiet - fine by me.

Last night he didn't berate a minority group of supporters, the captain of the club attacked the home support on European wide television (they don’t understand the Ewood park seating arrangements). The boo's he's had were almost inaudible on Saturday compared to Pederson's 1st half lamenting and came at a time of extreme frustration – lets be honest he’s not exactly been berated has he?

So the stakes have been raised by both player and supporter, pick a side.

Journey man footballer vs. Paying support

I for one won't go to another Rovers game whilst that man plays for the club, which it seems won’t be that long.

But those of you, who have turned on your fellow supporters, enjoy watching your captain against the team he is so obviously desperate to play for on Boxing Day.

The scousers on the Darwin end will know he's a red at heart, the fat scousers in the boxes behind you will know it, the Liverpool team will know it, the Blackburn team will know it and most of all you can't delude yourself anymore - you know it.

Enjoy the ridicule - have you no pride?

To be fair why drop him? He said he wants to leave at the end of his contract at the end of the day he does a great job at what he does. Maybe people are looking at his performanaces and saying his head is elsewhere I disagree if you looked 8 months ago am sure his performances have not really changed, just transfer speculation making us adere more.

To be honest I think the club are slightly to blame correct me if am wrong but letting a player get into the last eighteen months without signing a contract is a bad idea especially if he is regarded at one of the best players at the club.

Should he be captain "YES" for me, he is a leader has respect of team mates, he really helped young nolan last night!

I wish lucas good look at the end of the day he has served his purpose was cheap probably never cost much in wages and apart from the odd rash tackle has been an exellent player!!

To be fair why drop him? He said he wants to leave at the end of his contract at the end of the day he does a great job at what he does. Maybe people are looking at his performanaces and saying his head is elsewhere I disagree if you looked 8 months ago am sure his performances have not really changed, just transfer speculation making us adere more.

To be honest I think the club are slightly to blame correct me if am wrong but letting a player get into the last eighteen months without signing a contract is a bad idea especially if he is regarded at one of the best players at the club.

Should he be captain "YES" for me, he is a leader has respect of team mates, he really helped young nolan last night!

I wish lucas good look at the end of the day he has served his purpose was cheap probably never cost much in wages and apart from the odd rash tackle has been an exellent player!!

In my eyes a player who doesn't want to be at the club should not be made Captain

It may have just been me-but on Eurosport's coverage they showed the players doing a warm down and it appeared as if Benny was joking to Neil about the incident. It looked as if Benny was cupping his ears-kind of showing Neil this is what you should have done. Did anybody else see that?

Yes I saw that too, he also was roundly congratulated by firstly ALL the coaching staff and secondly by most of the players including Tugay when he left the pitch.

I disagree with the booing and thought his celebration was funny to the extent it was just a silence for those booing on Saturday when he was unfarily targeted amongst a whole team of under-performers.

I don't agree with those who "won't watch another match whilst he plays" and those who criticise him for what he is doing. So it's a football club and it's different to nearly every other industry under the sun, but who wouldn't in their own job under a short term contract see it out before looking for something else or signing again if offered the same or improved terms?

Yes we all hold Rovers very dear and want the best intentions, performances and behaviour from every player, but whilst he is employed by BRFC and picked by Mark Hughes give him the support you give every other player who has played past and present in the blue and white halves.

I don't agree with those who "won't watch another match whilst he plays" and those who criticise him for what he is doing. So it's a football club and it's different to nearly every other industry under the sun, but who wouldn't in their own job under a short term contract see it out before looking for something else or signing again if offered the same or improved terms?

Contract engineering is just like this, difference is you don't take the P!ss out of people paying your wages.

Yes I saw that too, he also was roundly congratulated by firstly ALL the coaching staff and secondly by most of the players including Tugay when he left the pitch.

I disagree with the booing and thought his celebration was funny to the extent it was just a silence for those booing on Saturday when he was unfarily targeted amongst a whole team of under-performers.

Yes we all hold Rovers very dear and want the best intentions, performances and behaviour from every player, but whilst he is employed by BRFC and picked by Mark Hughes give him the support you give every other player who has played past and present in the blue and white halves.

I don't mind him being selected but the thing that is annoying the fans is him wearing the captain's armband, which is a joke. His performance lastnight overall was poor i thought as well

Edited by gazsimm

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.