BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Captain?

ABBEY

Fed up about hearing what a model professional the guy is, he ran the length of the pitch to goad a section of fans - What Professionalism!

I didn't boo him. I respect his right to leave at the end of his contract - what I am livid about his lack of disrespect for the all fans with his stupid gesture.

Abuse from the boxes at the last game, names and seat numbers taken for standing during the one moment of action last night and to top it all off the captain of the team I support ridicules the BBE..... Oh and I pay them for the privilege, no more - it’s a joke!

You can stick your modern football and footballers up your backsides, sit on your arses continue to ply your money into these p!ss artists in a souless empty stadium. No wonder we can't generate any atmosphere your all apathetic doormats who would rather get behind a journeyman footballer than your fellow supporters.

130+ years of proud history - wheres your pride?

Edited by OscarRaven

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fed up about hearing what a model professional the guy is, he ran the length of the pitch to goad a section of fans – What Professionalism!

I didn't boo him. I respect his right to leave at the end of his contract - what I am livid about his lack of disrespect for the all fans with his stupid gesture.

No he didn't. The guy is human, the morons booing rovers players need their heads screwing on. Exactly what do they think they can achieve?

No he didn't. The guy is human, the morons booing rovers players need their heads screwing on. Exactly what do they think they can achieve?

agree with you den

although I think he could have done it a bit different, I understand why he did it. He's very passionate about his football and was clearly hurted by the booing from some retards in Blackburn End.

When you give it you have got to be able to take it ! It looks like your mates can't.

My sentiments exactly Roverthemoon.

It's called double standards.

As in all walks of life, some people think it's ok to constantly dish out ######, but boy do they squeal when the tables are turned.

Tossers. :angry:

As far as captain goes I don't think he should be, simply because he's expressed a desire to leave.

Probably "achieve" little, other than to hasten Neill's departure (hopefully), but there's nothing wrong with letting him know that his attitude towards the club we love stinks.

I don't think Lucas should be captain and it should be offered to Friedal, Savage or Ooujer. But we all know what Hughes is trying to do in this scenario. Hughes wants him to stay and uses the captaincy as an incentive to keep him. Well it hasn't worked Hughes, give it up and hand it over to someone else who is willing to commit to the club.

Lucas Neill has given us some great years of service.

He has played poor in a few games but what is booing him going to acheive. Overally, he has been playing well this season and he has moved all along our back 4.

I think he has handled himself well in all of this. Some players would have spat their dummy out being refused a move to Liverpool.

His reaction last night showed to me that he probably could not understand why he was booed.

He wants a new challenge, so what? It is not as if he has just been here for a few months or a season. The minority should leave him alone, as ultimately it will not change anything or more importantly it will not help the team.

Edited by John

To all those who boo Lucas Neill and think he isn't giving everything to Rovers - you are clueless.

You are all very good at dishing it out but cry foul when a player who clearly has high regard for the club gives it back. The man is human and cares.

He will leave with my best wishes and thanks for always being dedicated to the cause.

Probably "achieve" little, other than to hasten Neill's departure (hopefully), but there's nothing wrong with letting him know that his attitude towards the club we love stinks.

Attitude - what attitude Jim?

I would also like to know what attitude Jim.

Despite the goal last night I still think he's been poor compared to his performances in previous seasons. Passing seems to have gone to pot at times and seems to pull out of tackles which he never would have a couple of seasons ago. Maybe that's why he was getting booed (which was by only small amount of people, which was blown out of all proportion by the press 'fans have turned against him', ect.) and not because he wants to leave.

A decent player and a good servant to the club, might as well go and sell him in Janaury and get some cash for him whilst we can.

Tugay for new captain!

Neill signed a contract to play for Rovers for X number of years and that period is up at the end of this year. He hasn't demanded more money or demanded to move during that period and wants to leave at the end of it. I can't see why anyone has a problem with that. He is committed to Rovers and will remain so till the end of the season. If he had been playing rubbish I am sure that Rovers would have fired him off at the end of his contract without anyone being bothered so whats the difference.

We should keep him till his deal runs out because he is committed to the cause, it is in his interests to continue to perform and he is cheap where if we sold him we would get buttons for him and any replacement would be on far more than he is at the moment.

It makes a change for a player to be honest about his intentions and he should get credit for that and as for whether he should be captain....why not if the manager thinks he is currently the best man for the job. He's only filling in for Nelson after all.

Two wrongs don't make a right Den and Neill needs his head screwing on as well. What gives this pratt, who is probably earning in a week what many fans earn in a year, the right to run the length of the pitch to deride a section of the support? The fact he is also club captain makes the situation many times worse, but really that's not Neill's fault it's Hughes's.

I think it's a very serious issue. We are losing support in the droves already, the connection between the fans and these millionaire players (Many would say prima donnas) is already practically non existent and then the club captain starts behaving like this.

I was expecting Mark Hughes to strongly condemn his reaction whilst acknowledging the reason he did it. To casually dismiss it as a celebration that was merely a "bit over exuberent" will only serve to further drive a wedge between the club and support and create an atmosphere of "us" and "them".

Rev's post is the perfect case in point. Nose - cut off to spite face - all over it. You used to sit behind Uncle Jack and you should know better.

I think it's pretty safe to say from the way he dealt with Sherwood and Hendry that Uncle Jack would have had Neill on his bike long ago.

There's clearly two issues here. The first is whether Neill should be playing in the team when it looks like he's off soon, the second is whether he should be captain.

Well, for me, the first issue is a no-brainer. There's no doubt in my mind that we are a better team with Lucas Neill in the side. He's perfectly entitled to see out his contract, he's never bad-mouthed Blackburn Rovers as far as I'm aware, and I've never doubted his commitment on the pitch. He's a good player who I think we'll sorely miss when he's gone.

As for those whining like girls after Neill's celebration last night - get a grip ffs. He pathetically took some unwarrented stick from a section of "supporters" and he's entitled to give it back. Good on him for showing a bit of passion.

The second issue is more contentious. I can understand why people don't want Neill to be captain and I'd admit that the whole affair is a bit of a PR disaster. For me though, the captain of a football club does most of his captaincy off the pitch rather than on it - especially as we have a number of players who captained either club or country in the past. I think how Neill interacts in the dressing room and with the rest of the squad is probably why he's been made captain and, as long as he's still fulfilling that role, then I don't really have a problem with him remaining captain.

Painful. I got collered by Sky Sports News on my way to the 'club shop' at lunchtime and, before I had a chance to think (or to ask what the hell they wanted to talk to me about) I had a camera thrust in front of me and was asked my views on the 'Lucas situation'. I rambled my way through a few questions in a haze of incoherance and blind fear. I hoped there was nothing they could possibly use from the interview but they got their soundbyte.

I don't know if anyone else has been interviewed on TV before but it's amazing how that, as soon as a camera is trained on you, your mind mysteriously empties.

Just on a technicality - so far as I'm aware Neill is not the club captain. He is the current choice to be captain of the first team on the pitch.

I think that the club captain is still Andy Todd. Irony of ironies. (Or maybe it's still Flitcroft).

Back to the subject this is a rare occasion where I agree 100% with Scotty. Hughes has put his cards on the table and Lucas Neill is his captain for now. To respond to idiotic criticism from people who know nowt about what the dressing room feels would be suicidal. I'm quite sure that Hughes bases his management on the principle that you make a decision and stick with it.

It's crazy to suggest that this issue is affecting the support. We've gone over this thousands of times, and the apologists for the poor support our team gets from the town latch on to any handle. Price, manager (he's been gone 2 1/2 years), style of play, bad music choice, tannoy too loud, rain, pubs, television, Dickov, Kuki, Ashley Ward - - - and now it's Lucas Neill's turn.

The support just isn't influenced by individual players and it's ridiculous to suggest that it is.

The long and short is that Neill is a bloody good player and he's never let us down. He hasn't broken a contract, and he hasn't mouthed off in the press. Long live Lucas Neill.

"the club we love" Thats a laugh! Unless I am very mistaken you didn't even bloody go on a very important night for the club but rather sat in front of your computer writing nothing but very negative remarks on the 'Nancy' thread! :angry:

Two wrongs don't make a right Den and Neill needs his head screwing on as well. What gives this pratt, who is probably earning in a week what many fans earn in a year, the right to run the length of the pitch to deride a section of the support? The fact he is also club captain makes the situation many times worse, but really that's not Neill's fault it's Hughes's.

I think it's a very serious issue. We are losing support in the droves already, the connection between the fans and these millionaire players (Many would say prima donnas) is already practically non existent and then the club captain starts behaving like this.

I was expecting Mark Hughes to strongly condemn his reaction whilst acknowledging the reason he did it. To casually dismiss it as a celebration that was merely a "bit over exuberent" will only serve to further drive a wedge between the club and support and create an atmosphere of "us" and "them".

Bingo, utterly unprofessional. Which, ironically, is the argument of many of his supporters - he's seeing out a contract he signed. As I said earlier, there was a rather large argument on my row last night concerning Neill's action. A father and son duo who have never booed Neill before, though they're not impressed with his defending - but that's another story, declared that they would be doing so from now on. Fair enough, I say.

I'm starting to fear Hughes has lost it y'know. Sure he has several injury problems, but the lack of commitment on the field is shocking. What's worse, he comes out in every post match interview saying we played well. Now whilst I'm not asking for public condemnation of underperformers, I wouldn't mind him admitting every now and again that the team isn't quite up to the task and needs to work harder for each other.

Just on a technicality - so far as I'm aware Neill is not the club captain. He is the current choice to be captain of the first team on the pitch.

I think that the club captain is still Andy Todd. Irony of ironies. (Or maybe it's still Flitcroft).

Super Andy Todd? The man that came on against Newcastle and immediately showed more resolve and passion than we've seen from the rest of the team all season? That's alright by me then.

Abuse from the boxes at the last game, names and seat numbers taken for standing during the one moment of action last night and to top it all off the captain of the team I support ridicules the BBE.....

Get a grip Oscar. Neill wasn't dissing the entire Bburn end cos it wasn't the entire BBurn end who were dissing him! He clapped the JW stand long enough didn't he? The 'brave' blackburn enders who shout undeserved insults and oaths from afar with realtive impunity know his anger was directed at them and them alone, and the rest who have the intellect to understand his stance should know that they were not the target of his ire. I'm suprised that you couldn't read it that way.

Please dont go along with some sort of pathetic lynch mob / hanging party next home game. I'm sure that some of the pathetic dollopers who barrack their own player and captain will try to stir the sh1t and whip up the natives so if you want to do something worthwhile for the entire club then don't bloody well go along with them and do your best to stop it.

Just a further thought......... with the transfer window opening soon what a good selling job the numpties are doing for the club to prospective players...... I don't think! Who in their right minds would come here knowing that one day it will likely be their turn? The Blackburn Enders who are responsible are about as valuable to the club and about as intelligent as the Dingles that set fire to Mullens wife in the chip shop...... and we are still laughing at those prats.

Edited by thenodrog

Bloody hell, there aren't half some precious buggers on here having a pop at Neill - someone could be excused for thinking there are personal agendas. No question he's one of our better defenders so no issue that he should be playing. I personally bow to those who work with the players to decide who's best to captain the side.

Now whilst I'm not asking for public condemnation of underperformers, I wouldn't mind him (Hughes) admitting every now and again that the team isn't quite up to the task and needs to work harder for each other.

A bit like this after the Charlton game?........

"It wasn't good enough, it wasn't a game that we were too pleased with.... If we are honest, today we didn't get to that level."

I think if anyone is the 'club captain' it's Nelsen. Clearly Todd isn't as hughes has lost faith in him entirely, to thepoint where he signed another player (Henchoz) to take his place on the bench.

I can't understand some who are calling for Neill's head over his refusal to sign a new contract. Is it the sheer novelty of a player showing enough loyalty to a club to see out his full (and fairly lengthy) contract without once spitting the dummy and demanding a transfer? He has never refused to play any role asked of him, right across the backline, and has a positive influence on the pitch much more often than not.

As for those who would doubt his love of the club for his insulting the supporters. Well, i think it fairly obvious to anyone who cares to think for themselves that his gesture was aimed at a minority of fans who have taken it upon themselves to take the moral 'high-ground' by suggesting that Lucas is obligated to re-sign for the club when his current contract runs out, instead of either taking a better offer should one arise. I know you love the club, but it's ludicrous to suggest that one who has served the club so long and well should be singled out for derision for not staying for their full playing career.

Lucas probably realises that he is now approaching the peak of his abilities and to further improve, or to be challenging for honours on a regular basis he needs to move soon. It's not as if he has been disloyal to the club, or even been talking to other clubs as many if not most players of the modern game would have done long ago. No, he is fulfilling his obligation to the club in full.

And for that he is castigated by his own fans. It's a shame that fulfilling the obligation agreed between himself and the club is not enough for some. But when someone sulks and demands a transfer that is seen as a normal situation.

With hindsight I bet he wishes he'd done a Shearer, led everyone up the garden path, then suddenlt pi$$ed of.

At least the guy was big enough to lay his intentions on the line and give the club twelve months notice.

The decision to make him Captain wasn't his, but Hughes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.