BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Captain?

ABBEY

He was far from crap today.

Yes, what's far worse than Crap? He was that and more. I didn't get there till 20 minutes gone, but the proportion of passes that went to Liverpool directly (bad pass) or indirectly (through kicking the ball "inadvertently" out of the pitch) was disgusting. At times it was like we were 10 against 12.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, what's far worse than Crap? He was that and more. I didn't get there till 20 minutes gone, but the proportion of passes that went to Liverpool directly (bad pass) or indirectly (through kicking the ball "inadvertently" out of the pitch) was disgusting. At times it was like we were 10 against 12.

Agreed. I stopped counting after 6 passes had gone straight to a red shirt, as I was getting so annoyed.

I've had enough of the Lucas mini-drama, I hope we get rid on Jan 1st and move on.

Complete and utter, undiluted Bull.

Yet again Lucas fills in on the opposite flank to which he is accustomed in a game where he was undoubtably under outside pressures, and he comes through it in his usual professional manner, working his socks off and contributing to an outstanding clean sheet for the defenders, and the word you use is 'disgusting'.

Do you care to give me a list of full backs who can perform as well as he does at right back, centre half and left back ?

He again has proved to be a thorough professional and whether he goes next week or next year, the effort and comittment our leader sowed on that pitch today cannot be questioned by anyone with at least half a brain.

Never read such narrow minded, insulting rubbish in years.

i think we all clearly have different views on lucas

i thought his performance was ok today, nothing special

but was does impress me his i willingness to contribute past the half way line with the ball - i can see how this effects gamst and other defenders because if it goes astray we get caught out down his side, but i like it - rovers players in control of the ball and not ashamed to call for it and make space to receive pass is good to see

He was very subdued today and I wouldnt say crap but lets just say he wasnt himself at all.

Exactly right, was right at the front of The Riverside today, so got a really close look at him in the first half.

Body language was appalling, clearly didn't want to be on the pitch, and let's just say he did the minimum consistent without actually throwing the game whilst not wanting to do anything to harm his new team either.

The difference in commitment between him and Emerton, who was on the same side in the second half, couldn't have been more noticeable.

Exactly right, was right at the front of The Riverside today, so got a really close look at him in the first half.

Body language was appalling, clearly didn't want to be on the pitch, and let's just say he did the minimum consistent without actually throwing the game whilst not wanting to do anything to harm his new team either.

The difference in commitment between him and Emerton, who was on the same side in the second half, couldn't have been more noticeable.

Just rubbish and completely in your mind. He may have misplaced a few passes but his overall game was fine and he looked just as committed as anyone out there.

He was far better than Emerton, especially considering he was playing at left back!

Emerton nearly got us into trouble a few times - most notably in the first half when he tried to block a cross by flicking his foot back, nearly allowing Bellamy to rifle in. In the second half he completely missed a header that allowed Garcia a shot on goal from about 4 yards. If both had gone in, as they quite easily could have done, he'd have been slated. In fact, if Emerton had been linked with Liverpool nobody would have even typed Neill's name today.

People are looking for things that aren't there. They get things in their heads and refuse to think anything else. I personally don't think Neill should be captain, but he's one of our better players and has done well for us. His performance today has been massively exaggerated because of his circumstances, and because people are hurt that if you cut him open he wouldn't bleed blue and white. It's very petty, IMO.

Missed the first half but imo Neill was OK today. This might sound odd and a word of warning to Neill (if he needs one that is) BUT I must say that whilst our team will be weaker without him I don't think that Liverpools will be any stronger with him!..... If you can work that out. :blink:

imo the only reasons Benitez will want him are....

1. As a 'cheap' utility defender who can play in any position along the back line and offer him formation options during a game.

2. If Riise or Carragher etc etc are coming to the end of their contracts.

I noticed in his TV interview that Neill did say that with him coming to the end of his contract that any future decision was with BRFC. Obvious implication there that if we pay him to stay then he will. I make no further comment on that last sentence.

It'd make most sense for Lucas to leave in the transfer window. We have to replace him anyway so we might as well get some money out of the deal for him to be able to do so.

Certainly wouldn't look forward to this dragging out until the rest of the season. Both the club and Neill need to move on.

I noticed in his TV interview that Neill did say that with him coming to the end of his contract that any future decision was with BRFC. Obvious implication there that if we pay him to stay then he will. I make no further comment on that last sentence.

It could also simply have been with regards to whether he leaves now or in the summer, as that's also something in BRFC's hands. At least judging from what you wrote here, I didn't see the interview myself so it's ofcourse possible that I'm wrong.

Basically he said that whether he leaves or not in this window is up to the manager and the chairman but that unless he signs a new contract he will be leaving in the summer. exactly what Hughes has said and exactly what we've all known was the case all along. Mark Hughes won't sell him unless he has someone else guaranteed to come straight in and do a good job and Neill knows that. He's not asking to go, just telling it straight. I don't think he was any worse or any better yesterday than at any other time recently and those who think he was deliberately doing as little as possible need to look at what happens on the pitch and not at what they think is happening or expect to see happen.

Its peculiar but respectable that Lucas is still not coming out to say Im not leaving the club or I want to leave now. He has been respectful towards Blackburn Rovers in my opinion. Lets be honest, if a player wants to leave he could throw all his toys out of the pram a la Gallas, Savage, Anelka, etc...

But some of his weird language gets me confused. Why does he say unless he signs a contract rather than Im not signing a new one.

Well, it's just possible that he won't get a better offer than he gets from Rovers in terms of cash or the quality of club that want to buy him so he's really got to be careful what he says. No point in alienating the club that have already offered you a good contract if the only club that decides it wants you in the transfer window is a rubbish one. We all think we know that Liverpool want him but then it might all go wrong for him, we might not let him go in January because we can't find a replacement and Liverpool might change their mind before the summer. Who knows?

against boro i think we will know if it's neill's last game in a rovers shirt if he does a lap round the pitch at the end of the game.

i cant see him just wanting to leave through the back door and will say goodbye properly.

i must express though i only think this will happen if there is a deal already in place on the table, he'd look a bit of a muppet if he done it and then was linning up against arsenal in our next home game.

i hope he gets a good send off, yeah this season he's said what he's said and so forth, but what he has done for rovers over the years has been more than anyone could have thought when we signed him for a couple of grand from millwall.

Interesting set of responses on this thread since Tuesday. Depending on which side of the Lucas Neill debate people have landed on, his performance during the match ranges from "worst player on the pitch" to "crap" to "bad body language" to "ok" to "far from crap" to "good solid performance as always".

Rovers fans just have to accept Mark Hughes' judgement on this one. Interviewed after the game he made it totally clear - if Rovers don't land someone as good or better this window, Lucas Neill "IS GOING NOWHERE" - a comment which drew a round of applause in Blues Bar.

Which means Hughes would play him in every game until the end of the season, because he's the most versatile defender at the club - if not the best defender at the club.

The choice of many fans to take the armband - Savage - has endorsed Neill as captain. There is clearly no unrest in the dressing room, so there is no reason to suspect that Savage is misleading anyone with his recent comments.

Fans who jump on Neill's every mistake - and those who boo him - are simply undermining the team. Maybe he's played his last game for us, maybe he hasn't. Either way he's been bloody good along the way and will leave without breaking a contract. That for me is more than enough.

against boro i think we will know if it's neill's last game in a rovers shirt if he does a lap round the pitch at the end of the game.

It's more likely depending on negotiations that he will leave nearer to the end of January imo.

btw maybe not too relevent or maybe very relevent <_< but according to the LT Neill's just had a large scale planning application granted for massive work to his Turton home! Wonder who might be picking the tab up for that given that bungs in the form of brown paper bags of readies appear to be under severe pressure at the moment!

Whoever it is :huh: I think we can rule out Barca or Inter. ;)

Edited by thenodrog

It's more likely depending on negotiations that he will leave nearer to the end of January imo.

btw maybe not too relevent or maybe very relevent <_< but according to the LT Neill's just had a large scale planning application granted for massive work to his Turton home! Wonder who might be picking the tab up for that given that bungs in the form of brown paper bags of readies appear to be under severe pressure at the moment!

Whoever it is :huh: I think we can rule out Barca or Inter. ;)

It's a dead give away! He knows exactly where he's going (i.e. somewhere local so he can continue to live at his footballer's wives eyesore) and so does Hughes.

All this stuff about him leaving "if we think it's right" is just a face saving exercise from Sparky imo to justify the ultimately futile step of giving him the captain's armband.

If it's not already a done deal and he's not in a Liverpool shirt by the end of January I'll be amazed.

Well it's about a 40:40 bet so you aren't going out too much on a limb are you? On the face of it there will be a big influence by who we sign to replace him and our position in the Prem come the end of Jan. I cannot see us allowing Neill to leave if relegation is still a major concern. But Neills professional attitude since August could be down to a handshake agreement between him and sparky to allow him to leave in Jan in order for us to but time to find his replacement. Who knows but the latter scenario does fit.

I've had enough of the Lucas mini-drama, I hope we get rid on Jan 1st and move on.

Hear Hear, couldn't agree more. You'll see our performances improve as a team also. I sort of hope someone else comes in and pips Liverpool to his signature.

Agreed. I stopped counting after 6 passes had gone straight to a red shirt, as I was getting so annoyed.

Agree 100% i also was watching his performance closely and i felt that his passes were weak and it was almost like he wanted Liverpoll to take the ball and score, especially near the end when he hit the ball infield to Gerrard to break with.

Sell him to a foreign team - i dont want to see him playing for a rival club in the premier league. Then make a move for Distin.

Well it's about a 40:40 bet so you aren't going out too much on a limb are you?

I've said I expect Wigan to be his last game and he won't be playing against Everton in the cup...what more do you want? A date and time?

Hughes has known he wants to leave for long enough so it is unlikely he hasn't got it all worked out already, having a club captain booed by his own fans should not be dragged out any longer than necessary.

Of course I may be wrong and he stays but I can't see that be in the best interests of anybody.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.