BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Financial Impact Of Group Stages

I did a search of the forum and didn't find a post, so I was wondering...

I understand that UEFA Cup isn't what it used to be, due to the Champion's League, but how much money Rovers can expect to make in the UEFA Cup group stages and beyond?

Have they already spent with that money in mind or will it help in January and at season's end?

Regardless, it appears that Hughes has spent his money wisely. Go Rovers!

I remember one Premiership chairman (Bolton's or Middlesbrough's I believe) stating that, since the competition was revamped, qualification into the group stages can be worth £5 million...bearing in mind that this was the debut season for the competition with a group-stage round, so it would have been a rough guess at best.

Even if the estimate was fairly accurate for the club involved, I doubt the figure would be as high for ourselves given our relatively low attendences and the apparent lack of television interest in our fixtures. A big name in our group could go a long way to maximising the money we could make though.

..fingers crossed that West Ham's early demise does us a favour or two in the TV stakes.

Same thought crossed my mind. That should hopefully open a spot for us, hopefully not on Eurosport again though as it is hard to convince a pub in the South to put Rovers on when Spurs are playing.

Same thought crossed my mind. That should hopefully open a spot for us, hopefully not on Eurosport again though as it is hard to convince a pub in the South to put Rovers on when Spurs are playing.

Incidentally i thought Eurosport did an absolutely excellent job when they put on the Rovers game.

Good point. They managed to lose that exceptionally dreary commentator who normally commentates on football matches and found someone with a bit of passion!

As for the first game, that was up to Salzburg, who went with mostly german language channels, and nothing broadcast in England/Ireland.

Just for qualifying for the group stages we won't get anything significant. In fact you aren't awarded the big money unless you get to the final in this competition. Most our profits will come from the teams we face and the matches themselves.

I remember you used to loose money if you got knocked out in the first round or 2, not sure if that is still the case! With Millwall a coupla years back, i defo remember their chairman saying that they loose money if they go out in the first round which they did :D

I would guess we would stand to make a little bit of money from the group stage, i suppose it depends on the draw, ajax and rangers at Ewood would see tv and decent crowds coming our way, slavia prague and Fc Oslo* or something, probably not! :brfc:

* Dont take names literally :rover:

I remember you used to loose money if you got knocked out in the first round or 2, not sure if that is still the case! With Millwall a coupla years back, i defo remember their chairman saying that they loose money if they go out in the first round which they did :D

I would guess we would stand to make a little bit of money from the group stage, i suppose it depends on the draw, ajax and rangers at Ewood would see tv and decent crowds coming our way, slavia prague and Fc Oslo* or something, probably not! :brfc:

* Dont take names literally :rover:

Yes but where would you prefer to go on a night out though eh?

Slavia for me matey, Amsterdam, seen that done that, Glasgow ditto & Nooooooooooooooooo !!

:lol:

According to JW interview on Radio Lancs last week they will make money but can't remember how much (corporate, advertising, dependent on who we draw etc) -but he made it known its not about the money but about the prestige and raising Rovers Profile given the history in Europe and how as a club they are committed to going as far as possible.

According to todays Telegraph the group stages is worth about an extra £4 million to us!

It has been pointed out to the Sports Dept of the LET how wildly inaccurate that line is.

Rovers will be lucky to make £4 let alone £4m from the group stages of the competition.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.