BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pathetic Attendance

Good show to the 13000 but an absolutely pathetic and embarrassing turn out and a smack in the face for the club! I've got to admit that it's bloody great only paying £20 for two European games for my lad and I! Superb in fact BUT the smart move now by the directors would be to abandon the whole experiment. Blackburn's fickle part timer fans are simply not worth the hassle, and the whole issue is losing the club money big time.

I know that'll tick off the pro cheap footy brigade but you've got to admit it guys you were wrong!

To the stay aways........It's very apt that it's remembrance day soon...... "One Jack Walker" lest any more forget what he did for you all.

I totally agree Gord about the "EX-Supporters" having completely lost interest & using any excuse to justify staying away, but if Rovers put there prices back up you will stop any new fans or youngsters who are leaving school & starting work & there dads aren't paying for them anymore from going down to Ewood.

Do'nt hijack :P this thread to start spouting off about Lancashire United or i'm logging off!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

give it a rest - the disposable income so that people can spend it on Football isnt there anymore.

:angry: Garbage Flopsy,Rovers have bent over backwards to help the fans and the responce was pathetic with a two fingered gesture.

I felt like I was robbing my own club last night at those prices,there is NOTHING more the club can do.

If I read another letter in the LET complaining about ticket prices my fookin head will expode after last night.Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry:

You could send the club a cheque for a nice few quid if you think they're worth such a lot more .. :huh:

I might well do Phil,these Uefa cup games are giving me great entertainment and at bargain prices unheard of at most other Premiership clubs.....other Rovers 'fans' just dont give a toss either way pal at present such is the apathy within the town.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I felt like I was robbing my own club last night at those prices,there is NOTHING more the club can do.

It's almost as if people WANT to pay more for the football!!! Nowadays, football clubs are businesses - but that also means supporters are customers! I was one of the 'missing 5000' last night by the way - unfortunately I had to settle for listening on the radio.

I think the problem is though that there just isn't the same enthusiasm for football from the large majority of fans anymore. Atmosphere at grounds has been significantly reduced, costs have risen, lifestyles have changes, and the game of football itself has in my opinion taken a turn for the worse.

I'm not ashamed to say that now, I go when it is cheap or convenient - or ideally both like for the Salzburg game. People need to realise that the average fan now has to make choices between luxuries, and football is just that - a luxury. The simple fact of the matter is that if I had attended every game last month, it would have cost me more than my food bill for the month (and that's with 'reduced' tickets). For someone like me, that is too much.

Three points to bear in mind on the attendance: -

1. Remember that, although it only cost £7.50 for a season ticket holder last night, that was £7.50 more than it cost for the Salzburg game.

2. If you take out the away support for both matches there were probably more home fans there last night than came to watch the champions Chelsea last week.

3. The attendance was about 50% more than Middlesborough had for their home group games last year.

1. Remember that, although it only cost £7.50 for a season ticket holder last night, that was £7.50 more than it cost for the Salzburg game.

JHC!!!! I wouldn't have thought anyone would have had the bare faced cheek to state that after season ticket holders had the Salzburg game for nowt.

It really does begger belief :angry:

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

It's almost as if people WANT to pay more for the football!!! Nowadays, football clubs are businesses - but that also means supporters are customers! I was one of the 'missing 5000' last night by the way - unfortunately I had to settle for listening on the radio.

I think the problem is though that there just isn't the same enthusiasm for football from the large majority of fans anymore. Atmosphere at grounds has been significantly reduced, costs have risen, lifestyles have changes, and the game of football itself has in my opinion taken a turn for the worse.

I'm not ashamed to say that now, I go when it is cheap or convenient - or ideally both like for the Salzburg game. People need to realise that the average fan now has to make choices between luxuries, and football is just that - a luxury. The simple fact of the matter is that if I had attended every game last month, it would have cost me more than my food bill for the month (and that's with 'reduced' tickets). For someone like me, that is too much.

IHB, if you've chosen other luxuries, over watching rovers, that's your lifestyle choice. i applaud you for being honest, but will you still moan about our fortunes on the pitch ?

Edited by pleasure

I can only speak for my case, but both last night and the salzburg game I have looked into coming, as I'd gladly pay £15 for european football at ewood.

however, travelling from leeds without the possibility of a car is simply not possible due to the train times. the last train out of blackburn is around 9.15, which entirely stops a few travelling I imagine.

I'm not sure how feasible to look into getting extra later trains it is, obviously its a tall order getting a rail company to do so.

Until I can afford a car or get a lift i won't be able to make any european home games :(

Why do people keep refering to £15 tickets as cheap?

It's LESS in comparision to some other clubs but it's not cheap.

Everyone's been brainwashed by the grossly over inflated ticket prices in recent years.

£15 should be maximum.

It's only a football match.

And yes, I was there last night :angry:

Boy,the media don't mind picking on us do they?Look at the caption in the picture of Tugay in this article

HEREI haven't noted them picking on the crowds at Bolton and Middlesbroughlast season,did you?

Over at the Times they loved to point out the crowd numbers with the headline in this RECAP

So you are danged if you do (get in European 'mickey mouse competition'/poor crowds that show up) and danged if you don't(make it into European 'mickey mouse competition')The media need to make up there mind.I am sure ALOT of clubs would love to trade places right now with little ol' Blackburn.It probably hurts alot of media members to see Blackburn do well.

JHC!!!! I wouldn't have thought anyone would have had the bare faced cheek to state that after season ticket holders had the Salzburg game for nowt.

It really does begger belief :angry:

I was pointing out that it would be a factor for some people on a cold night with the match on the TV, not condoning it. I was there, as I will be for all home UEFA matches (and hopefully some away ones as well).

Pathetic - oh come on, get real. Mid-week night match, and on telly as well - I think it was actually a reasonable attendance given recent history. Does anybody remember Trelleborgs - our first UEFA Cup game - if memory was correct only around 14k to watch Rovers (incl Shearer etc).

Put this in perspective UEFA Cup Finalists Middlesborough attendances for last seasons UEFA Cup run :-

Their attendances only picked up after the group stages - and I believe that their pricing structure was even more attractive than Rovers for the later games. There was also some attractive games amongst those (e.g. Roma) to help push up attendances.

Given the relative catchment areas - we do ok - I'd love us to sell out every match - but it aint gonna happen

Do'nt hijack :P this thread to start spouting off about Lancashire United or i'm logging off!!

Nobody can deny that this season is proving that really is no other way forward. Burnley flying high get crap crowds, Wigan punching well above their weight get crap crowds, Blackpool forget it, Notlob are seeing crowds down on last year despite being 3rd in the Prem, PNE big town but poor support and finally BRFC ... if we took the turnstiles off and registered one end as a mosque we could not get 20,000 home fans in! :(

There really is NO alternative in the fullness of time CB. Enough fans who care enough to support their club properly no longer exist and thats bloody that! No argument there at all! It p1sses you off and it soddin well p1sses me off too but deep down you know that I am right. :rover:

How many season ticket holders didn't come last night and how many of them were under 10's (being on a school night )? Saw very few youngsters at Ewood Park last night - might be a minor mitigating factor for the self-flagellation (or rather Blackburn public whipping) brigade? How far away were we from what would have been acceptable attendance for those with the problem with last night's gate?

Quality not necessarily quantity counts (although admittedly not as far as JW's coffers are concerned). I thought the travelling FC Basel fans were very impressive in their vocal support. In spite of the result (from their perspective), I bet they enjoyed their involvement in the game...good command of English too ;)

Though I have in the past been known to directly shame - and advocate shaming - stayaways (those without just cause), the sanctimonious brigade on this thread repeatedly fail to realise how their stance actually alienates many fairweather fans generally.

The TV / pub habit for spectating (not supporting) for many will take a considerable amount of breaking...

Put this in perspective UEFA Cup Finalists Middlesborough attendances for last seasons UEFA Cup run :-

Their attendances only picked up after the group stages - and I believe that their pricing structure was even more attractive than Rovers for the later games. There was also some attractive games amongst those (e.g. Roma) to help push up attendances.

I'm pretty sure Roma only had around the 10,000 mark the other night for a champs league game . I wonder how their prices compare .

I posted this on the Basle game thread......

I suppose a downside no=one has contemplated is this.

In the Premiership, Rovers sent out a more than forceful message to the powers that be about lowering prices leading to putting bums on seats. That exercise was demonstrated to the full versus Bolton Winkers.

Now, the fans of Rovers appear to be contradicting that theory in that ST Holders may not be attending at a price of 7.50 (for whatever reasons), the in/out fans are not taking advantage of a 15 quid match ticket which in turn leads to the wavering fan not even bothering to purchase a ticket.

All this in the face of a fantastic team ethic, a team we can all be proud of, a team that plays genuinely attractive football, a tgeam that can roll its sleeves up and fight with pride, a team full of effort, a team that has taken BRFC on its best ever European adventure - 2 wins on the bounce and a win away in Poland - and with a fantastic chance of progressing to the last 32.

So what is it that fans of BRFC expect or indeed want ? Let me tell you that we as Rovers fans have the best offering we could ever expect. We have it all and the rest. How many of our so called bigger clubs would relish being like BRFC ? There is plenty of them believe me.

I now leave the warmth of my lounge in Leyland to make a short 15 minute drive to the REAL theatre of dreams. Its about time that the general footballing public associated with BRFC took note of the way the club are seeking to attract fans back to Ewood and its certainly the right time NOT to kick the club back in the teeth in the manner that seems to be happening.

Yes its cold, yes we are 10 weeks from Christmas and yes we all have bills, dogs/cats (or other animals if yr from deepest E lancs) an families to pay for, but FFS it has cost 7.50 or 15.00 for a top european game at EWOOD PARK.

The team needs you to shout them onto the next stage.

Imagine this scenario........ In April Rovers take on a lowly ranked team in the semi final second leg at Ewood PArk, the game is a 28000 sell out as Rovers take a 3-0 lead into the game. At half time Mark Hughes makes 3 substituitons to rest his hard working stars as Rovers are cruising 3-0 at home, 6-0 on aggregate. the final whistle sounds and Rovers are the second English club into the final in successive seasons.

The end of April sees the ticket allocation for Hampden Park set at 18000 for Rovers supporters. OUTRAGE the fans cry as they panick about not being able to obtain a ticket !

Rovers release the ticket allocation, firstly to their travelling European fans, St holders who went to the away games, then its the ST Holders and NON St holders who travelled away, then it s the fans who bother their arses to go to the HOME legs.

if it ever happened there would be only one person to blame if it was YOU who missed out. there could be no berating the club, the ticket office or anybody else because it would be YOUR BLOODY FAULT.

Now then get the message ?

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but has anyone guessed/estimated what the gate would have been without the cheap tickets for last night?

I'd hazard a guess that JW & co are experimenting with the pricing structure to balance numbers with receipts and somehow trying to lever in the rather incalculable value of more people at Ewood, plus the publicity it engenders.

Just for a couple of examples:

The Bolton game was a near as damn it sell out at £15. If the tickets were £25 or £30 how many fewer people would have come? Would the £ takings have been more or less? What value do you put on a nearly full Ewood? Plus the fact that there was some great publicity for the reduced prices in all the national papers that I read.

Basle last night - if the tickets had been a straightforward (say) £20 then there might have seen a souless 5,000 and a graveyard of an atmosphere.

I don't pretend I have the answers, I just think it's food for thought.

I would have thought that the Rovers' board are seriously looking into the options available as it has obviously been experimenting over the past few weeks.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but has anyone guessed/estimated what the gate would have been without the cheap tickets for last night?

I'd hazard a guess that JW & co are experimenting with the pricing structure to balance numbers with receipts and somehow trying to lever in the rather incalculable value of more people at Ewood, plus the publicity it engenders.

Just for a couple of examples:

The Bolton game was a near as damn it sell out at £15. If the tickets were £25 or £30 how many fewer people would have come? Would the £ takings have been more or less? What value do you put on a nearly full Ewood? Plus the fact that there was some great publicity for the reduced prices in all the national papers that I read.

Basle last night - if the tickets had been a straightforward (say) £20 then there might have seen a souless 5,000 and a graveyard of an atmosphere.

I don't pretend I have the answers, I just think it's food for thought.

I would have thought that the Rovers' board are seriously looking into the options available as it has obviously been experimenting over the past few weeks.

Good post Colin, and I'm certain that the Rovers are in fact experimenting with their pricing structure. I think the way forward is to offer cheap seats compared to everyone else - not just for the odd game, but for EVERY game. We may lose a bit of money, but at the end of the day if we can fill our stadium and/or generate more interest in our club, that can only be a more postive thing.

Charging mega-bucks only decreases attendances and alienates fans. I would hazard a guess and say that the very fact that more people buy tickets at cheaper prices will encourage yet more fans to go because they know it will be a better atmosphere! Nobody wants to watch or play football in empty stadiums - I'd rather us lose the extra money (if we do lose any) every week than see a half-full stadium.

People moan that if we lower prices then the club lose income to buy more quality players, but at the end of the day players want to play for clubs with packed stadiums thus giving a perception that that club is a bigger club. A fuller stadium is a win/win situation for me!!!

Yes the crowd may have been poor last night, but we wouldn't have filled the stadium if we let people in for free. And that means you just can't start charging the earth for a product that is in low demand. Imagine the attendance at £25 a ticket!!! Less than 10k for definite - maybe even less than 8k!

13k @ £15 = £195k

8k @ £25 = £200k

I know this doesn't tell you the true story but in terms of pure supporter enjoyment alone, is an extra £5k max worth having a stadium attendance to be REALLY embarrassed about??? If half of the extra 5000 people buy a programme, we make the money back! I know we are just picking these numbers out of the air as fans, but I think it helps to illustrate my point.

Long live cheap tickets!!!!

13k @ £15 = £195k

8k @ £25 = £200k

I know this doesn't tell you the true story but in terms of pure supporter enjoyment alone, is an extra £5k max worth having a stadium attendance to be REALLY embarrassed about??? If half of the extra 5000 people buy a programme, we make the money back! I know we are just picking these numbers out of the air as fans, but I think it helps to illustrate my point.

Where do you get that daft 'out of the air' figure from ihb? Last night I paid £7.50! As most fans were ST holders (I guess) with a good sprinkling of OAP's and juniors on even less then the av ticket price was prob nearer to £8.00. That means gate receipts of a paltry £104000!

Tickets quite feasibly for the level of game at £25 would have meant that just over 4000 fans would have needed to attend to exceed that amount! And imo there would have easily been 2-3 times that number of PROPER fans on.

Edited by thenodrog

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.