BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pathetic Attendance

what ? people cant raise #15.00 ?

£15 + Travel Costs + Food + Number of Kids = Money from Disposable Income

I for one cant afford it, the same way I probably cant afford the money for this weekends game - If you hadnt noticed Interest rates have gone up recently - again removes money from the amount you can readily spend on Footer or other fun stuff.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The disappointing element is that the crowd last night is over 5000 down from the Salzburg crowd.

Now I know that was free for ST holders, but let's be honest - £7.50 for European football is as close to free as you're going to get. And walk ons paid the same £15 which is still a ridiculous bargain.

I guess the club will be analysing how many of those 5000 who didn't show up last night are ST holders and how many were walk ons against Salzburg - and wondering what the hell they can do next!

Either way it's disappointing and sorry Flops and co - this time you just can't put it down to cost.

All parameters were the same as the Salzburg game - Thursday night, on Eurosport, insignificant number of away fans, European football experience at Ewood - but over a quarter (27%) decided not to return to see their team play Basel.

The only other difference was the temperature. Maybe that was the decider for the stayaways??

Either way it's disappointing and sorry Flops and co - this time you just can't put it down to cost.

The only other difference was the temperature. Maybe that was the decider for the stayaways??

Well not all of us can be as rich and succesful as your self. Luckily Ive got the better looks

As for the temperature - if you are wavering about going out, would you really want to do it in sub-zero temperatures?

Still Kudos to those who went last night - you made lots of noise.

The only other slight difference Tris, was that the Salzburg game was a "winner goes into the group stage game".

Last night was a group game, not quite the same appeal.

Not worth 5000 people staying away though Den.

It's not too much to ask is it - 3 European games over an 11 week period - games we should be delighted are taking place at our ground. The fans really should stretch themselves to attend. Why did we all get so excited about managing to qualify??!!!

4 quid a week for non ST holders, and £1.30 per week for ST holders over that period.

I bought my ticket for last nights match but could'nt go because I have the mother of all colds. I actually rang all my Rovers supporting mates offering them my ticket plus a free car park place for nothing. Every one of them preferred to watch on television. I give in.

I agree with all the people who are slating last nights attendance (and the people who didn't bother to turn up without good reason). It was quite simply pathetic.

I have said before that a certain batch of supporters who used price as an excuse were doing just that - using it as an excuse and not a reason. Once the price issue is resolved they'd come up with another "excuse" and, surprise surprise that's exactly what they are doing. I'm sorry, but it really is shameful.

If we are not careful, we could up in a really sticky mess here. The bottom line is that currently the only reason that Blackburn Rovers are able to compete at a reasonably high level in the Premier League and Europe is down the the Walker Trust subsidising the club. Who do you think is standing the costs for the reduced ticket prices, who provides transfer funds etc etc etc. Thats right the Trust. Who, in conjunction with JW are doing everything they possibly can to make it easier for people to attend games. If they got the response from the Blackburn public then I'm sure they'd be happy to continue doing it in the long term as the increase in numbers would hopefully balance the books come the end of the season. At the end of the day, they will not keep throwing good money after bad without as much as an acknowlegement from the people of the town. Why should they? Would you? Talk about flogging a dead horse!

If the Walker Trust does ever pull out of Rovers, it will be the begining of the end for the club at its current level. And, if that happens there is only one set of people to blame - the non attending supporters.

Last nights attendance doesn't really tell the whole story. OK, prices were cheap = poor gate.

However against Bolton prices were cheap = good gate. It's down to more than merely prices. Other factors come into it.

I for one cant afford it, the same way I probably cant afford the money for this weekends game - If you hadnt noticed Interest rates have gone up recently - again removes money from the amount you can readily spend on Footer or other fun stuff.

I havnt noticed interest rates have gone up lately, in fact mine have gone down, but that is a different story.

In case you didnt realise I am a one income low earning family. I afforded last night, other things will have to give elsewhere.

For £7.50 / £10, or even £15 people CAN afford it.

They CHOOSE not to. Which is entirely there choice to make of course.

No it certainly wasn't down to cost but I do wonder just what sort of crowd would have attended if the ticket price had been, say, the £40 that Uddersfelt Blue mentions above which Tottenham charged last night.

5,000 maybe? Along with a truly awful atmosphere in a stadium that holds 31,367.

Tottenham Hotspur are simply a much bigger club than us in terms of support and their local population/catchment area as well as being in a city far wealthier than East Lancs. The story of Rovers for the past forty years has been our difficulty in competing with big city clubs. It ain't going to change anytime soon.

Cost is certainly not the only reason why Rovers have lost thousands in the last three years.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I havnt noticed interest rates have gone up lately, in fact mine have gone down, but that is a different story.

In case you didnt realise I am a one income low earning family. I afforded last night, other things will have to give elsewhere.

For £7.50 / £10, or even £15 people CAN afford it.

They CHOOSE not to. Which is entirely there choice to make of course.

well done stu, i take my 'beenie' off to you.

you're committed and an true fan, others arent and hide behind flimsey excuses.

i think your post wraps the arguement (s) up.

I was surprised there was 13 thousand there, rather than the sub 10k number quoted on here before the match.

That being said, it's still a pathetic turn out. We don't deserve a club in Europe if we can't even half fill our stadium. Kudos to the support though, they were quite loud - obviously those who can afford the cheap(er) seats prefer to sing than moan. ;)

The disappointing element is that the crowd last night is over 5000 down from the Salzburg crowd.

Yep, I was surprised at that after the incentives worked so well for the Salzburg game.

Strangely enough the disincentive (if you can call it that) last night was probably the fact we'd got such a good result in Krakow. Some people perhaps regarded last night and the remainder of the group stages as a formality. "I'll save 15 quid tonight, watch it on telly, and go when we get down to the nitty gritty in the knockout stages" etc.

A disappointing if not disastrous turn out, all the Club can do is to persevere longer term with the recent excellent pricing policy, (countless people I speak to still seem to think it's 30 quid plus to get in to Ewood because of the opening Everton game) and produce reasonable results and performances on the pitch.

I think the previous three results and the performances against Chelsea and West Ham may have had something to do with it.

A great attendance for the Bolton game was spoiled by a poor result - same old Rovers. I know they played well against Bolton, but they should have won. The disappointment after that game was the worst feeling ever.

This was followed by a mediocre performance against Chelsea and a dire performance against West Ham.

Ticket prices are not the only factor. Fans want to see a winning team whether they play well or not.

Only my opinion :rolleyes:

Must be a bugger paying for all those kids of yours, Flopsy.

I'd imagine that previous results probably had somewhat of an effect, added to the fact that the Salzburg game appeared more "important". It still doesn't really explain 5000 dropping off though.

I was disappointed, but keeping it in perspective. I'm not one of those people who feels deep embarassment whenever our crowd looks bad to other people. The drop in revenue hurts us certainly. But as long as we keep getting results and playing well I'll be happy. Attendences are a borderline obsession to some on here - I think we'd live a lot longer if we just got on with things.

Good show to the 13000 but an absolutely pathetic and embarrassing turn out and a smack in the face for the club! I've got to admit that it's bloody great only paying £20 for two European games for my lad and I! Superb in fact BUT the smart move now by the directors would be to abandon the whole experiment. Blackburn's fickle part timer fans are simply not worth the hassle, and the whole issue is losing the club money big time.

I know that'll tick off the pro cheap footy brigade but you've got to admit it guys you were wrong!

To the stay aways........It's very apt that it's remembrance day soon...... "One Jack Walker" lest any more forget what he did for you all.

(countless people I speak to still seem to think it's 30 quid plus to get in to Ewood because of the opening Everton game)

Be honest Rev those people are simply no longer interested enough in football / the club / the town. A passing interest at best. They are only interested in an excuse to give the wife to allow em to sup ale cos the Rovers are on in the pub. Weak characters with no pride or self respect..... thousands of em. They'll all of course pretend to be die hards when on their meditteranean hols etc chatting to fellow guests in the pool bar of their all inclusive hotel with their kids in last years Rovers shirt.

Oh btw I'm still waiting to see our citizens of Asian descent descending in their massed thousands now that BRFC represents 'bargain' football. :ph34r: If ever the trem 'flogging a dead horse' applied this is it! :angry:

Don't be daft , Gordon . If prices are raised to anything above or even approaching £20 adult and £10 concessions for the Nancy game ...and you'll find out what an embarrassing attendance really looks like .

You carry on campaigning to "maximising revenue" .....but don't whinge when you sit down with 8,000 or less supporters .

PS - You mention the Asians in our town . You shouldn't even waste your time . They are never going to come in any numbers whatsoever - they don't give a toss about the town nor its team . It's time to come to grips with the fact that we are a town with a fan base of about 80,000 .

Edited by blue phil

Surprised so few fans came - i reckon a combination of poor results, the possibility of a weakened team, the cold and it being on tv provided far too many reasons for people not to come.

As it was they missed a cracking night in which two rovers legends continued to cement their status (tugs and Brad) and certainly in terms of atmosphere the fans didn't seem to be missed. Hopefully such results will persuade fans to come to the Nancy game. However we will most likely have qualified by then - making it a meaningless or less meaningful game - which may well mean another low attendance.

What fans seem not to realise is that this is what we fought so hard for last year. Europe is an achievement and for smaller clubs like ourselves doesn't happen that often. Fans should realise the significance and value of such nights.

Edited by Blue blood

It wasn't a great turnout, i can't understand why people don't get excited about watching Rovers in Europe. For me and my mates these are the most exciting games this season.

If we're not in Europe for another 5/10 years then I'd like to be able to say that I was there when we were beating the likes of Salzburg, Basle and more hopefully.

Imagine the amazing atmoshere if we had a full 30,000 at Ewood.

What fans seem not to realise is that this is what we fought sao hard for last year. Europe is an achievement and for smaller clubs like ourselves doesn't happen that often. Fans should realise the significance and value of such nights.

Spot on. Sat in jack walker for a change last night and everyone was moaning how cold it was, and in the first half how bad we played (all seem to be forgotten about by the end!) but at least they made the effort.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.