BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pathetic Attendance

Been saying it for sometime. It's why I get down on the negative people, they should learn to appreciate what we have it WILL NOT last for ever. Sometime within the next couple of seasons Sparky will be off. With the lousy, and getting lousier, attendance we will be hard pressed to compete.

As I have stated I fully expect us to find our own level within the next 5-10 years if not sooner. Our own level? That of a struggling to competent 2nd division side.

As for why the numbers continue to dwindle, my feeling it is the way we as people are going, modern society is teaching us to be lazy. Many simply do not have the motivation to make the effort, there are so many other forms of entertainment available now to compete with the average persons disposable income they wwould just as soon be entertained in manners which need less effort.

Many years ago there was not much else to do in the form of entertainment after 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Another factor is the modern players and the lop sided officiating, it turns me off a lot. Pansy challenges result in players rolling on the ground and yellow cards being dished out (invariably in favour of the "big" team)

PLayers cheating to gain an advantage, acting, flopping, dissention to the officials it all quite frankly make me sick.

There are 3 games on telly here on a Saturday and I have become so turned off by the way the game is going I hardly watch, I used to never miss. It's pewtrid, vile and disgusting what is going on. Shoulder challenges are called up now, clean tackles are blown up and yellow cards issued, what for? because it was a hard challenge and "could have" caused injury. It did not so get on with, however these "professional" tactics are allowed to go unchecked all the time. Football has only Football to blame, for the most part, for it's decline in these parts.

Now they are talking about changing the goals come on the game was bloody fine before the tinkerers started, offside was offside. BTW I thought there had to be daylight between the defender and attacker, don't see that called do we.

Consistency, fairness and the same rules for everyone combined with harsh punishment for cheating will go along way to helping things.

What a co-incidence! At half time on Thursday night I was saying to my mate that we should be making the most of Rovers at the moment both in UEFA Cup and the Prem League because there will come a day when all we have of this is memories.

I reckon that when (not if) Sparky and his team leave us for greener, richer pastures, and we finally get relegated, that will be it; no bouncing back, never again a promotion, down in the doldrums forever [unless there is a blue and white halves-loving Russian billionaire ..........no, I'm dreaming again].

That WILL be that. We may finish up like Blackpool or Burnley or PNE who have never been in the top flight for 45 years (1961 when Finney retired)

So make the most of today you Rovers fans and get down to Ewood NOW. If you don't, you'll regret it.

Also I'd like to comment on how clean the game was on Thursday v Basel; no elbows; no private vendettas; no diving, cheating, going in over the top. It was a good clean game with good excellent officials, played in the right spirit and a pleasure for the neutral to watch. Compare this with the debacle of Barca v Chelski.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a co-incidence! At half time on Thursday night I was saying to my mate that we should be making the most of Rovers at the moment both in UEFA Cup and the Prem League because there will come a day when all we have of this is memories.

I reckon that when (not if) Sparky and his team leave us for greener, richer pastures, and we finally get relegated, that will be it; no bouncing back, never again a promotion, down in the doldrums forever [unless there is a blue and white halves-loving Russian billionaire ..........no, I'm dreaming again].

That WILL be that. We may finish up like Blackpool or Burnley or PNE who have never been in the top flight for 45 years (1961 when Finney retired)

So make the most of today you Rovers fans and get down to Ewood NOW. If you don't, you'll regret it.

Also I'd like to comment on how clean the game was on Thursday v Basel; no elbows; no private vendettas; no diving, cheating, going in over the top. It was a good clean game with good excellent officials, played in the right spirit and a pleasure for the neutral to watch. Compare this with the debacle of Barca v Chelski.

You are absolutely spot on there bazza. it is a pity that so many of the moaning minnies on here can't see it that way too. If every match was played like that one, with two good teams going flat out for a win and no cheating, that alone would go a very long way to winning back the stay-aways IMO.

Edited by Fife Rover

Well, when I started this topic I thought it would just get buried in the old gate debate but thankfully mods it hasn't.

After 6 pages of mostly sensible discussion about this particular match, I believe the realisation that Premiership and European football for Rovers may end some day, is the startling conclusion.

Thats precisely why I bothered to make the trips to Salzburg and Krakow, having missed out on previous European ventures for various reasons, I was not going to miss out again this time. A short trip over the Pennines was nothing on a cold November night.

The world of football is changing, illustrated by teams like Leeds, Wolves, Derby etc who are struggling to get back to the Premiership. What is the hope for us when, and I say WHEN, we drop out of the Premiership again.

Don't wish to sound pessimistic but ALL Rovers fans need to question whether they will be happy to see Rovers playing League 1 or even League 2 football?

It was a good clean game with good excellent officials

Yes Apart from the linesmen who were absolutley shocking. I'm sure Bennie Mac would agree.

I agree with what you say though and I for one am savouring every moment.

I give us 2-3 more seasons in the prem if the crowds don't pick up. That is unless we can produce a few gems from the academy.

Burnley played infront of just 11,700 today in their lofty position...is this currently a predominantly East Lancs problem.

I believe, to a point you are right SG194, why? because the very things I noted that are turning me off are the same things that are turning others off. I hail from a Northern working class town, as do many of us. I served my apprenticeship in a Factory in said town. Us East Lancs folks tend to enjoy good hard nosed footy and many of us are simply turnined off by todays tactics. Don't get me wrong I love to watch the art form of footy that the likes of Arsenal can bring but we simply cannot deal with some of todays antics. Many of these players earn in a week what many people who buy tickets earn in years.

I applaud what Rovers have done and I hate the downplaying of it in the media, I hate the way the Media treats us small market town teams. And there is another issue, what young impressionable wide eyed youngster from Blackburn wants to be assosciated with a team that is slagged off at every opportunity by the press. It does not help. What ever happened to the press's love for the underdog. Me I love Rovers and always will, what ever level, I just wish sometimes the public would show their support I know we are in the hearts of many in town. I just wish they would show. We are a unique club, the quality of footy we are playing is waaayyy beyond any of my wildest dreams as a youngster. We have a small population yet we paly and beat some of the richest clubs in the World. It's something the town should be proud of.

We all know the darker times we had as a club, these days are to be savoured, cherished.

Article from one of todays papers:

Noisy Grounds

1) Portsmouth 97 Decibels

2) Newcastle 96

3) Liverpool 96

4) Man Utd 94

5) Sheff Utd 91

6) Bolton 90

7) Aston Villa 89

8) Blackburn 89

9) Everton 86

10) Reading 84

11) Man City 83

12) West Ham 81

13) Chelsea 80

14) Arsenal 77

15) Fulham 77

16) Wigan 72

17) Watford 71

18) Spurs 68

19) 'Boro 67

20) Charlton 65

8th is fair impressive to say we only get 20k most matches. Teams like Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea get twice that and still can't produce the same volume of noise. :D

That is very respectable, it means at least the fans who are showing are making some noise. Sort of kills the Deadwood thing a bit though.

My guess is that should the worst happen these pub fans and armchair Harrys will recount to their grand kids the many afternoons and nights watching the Rovers back when they were a good team. I can just see it can't you.

You are absolutely spot on there bazza. it is a pity that so many of the moaning minnies on here can't see it that way too. If every match was played like that one, with two good teams going flat out for a win and no cheating, that alone would go a very long way to winning back the stay-aways IMO.

That's great to hear, too bad we are too small fry for the major sports channels to bother with it. Could have been a good advert.

Edited by USABlue

That is definitely a relative statement Paul which only applies to you. Consider a bit of lateral thinking applied to that statement.......

True it is a statement which is relative to me but the problem for Rovers, and the majority of PL clubs, is just how many people is the statement relative to? This is the trick, as I said before, determining the ticket price which provides maximum attendance coupled with maximum revenue. This is the balance Rovers need. Maximising revenue is the simpler task, bang up the prices to the faithful and settle for, at best, a half-empty ground. Maximising attendance? well it's beginning to look as though £5 is too much?

Price is all about perceived value. It's something I spend a lot of time on. One is always looking for the value the majority consider acceptable to maximise volume on a core product. There products which are sold way below the perceived value to promote the idea of value for money (different from perceived value), other products have the "I want" factor and can easily be sold for virtually any price. Currently I'm selling two Christmas products, one at a 12.5% margin,the other at 76% margin. The first is driving volume and securing orders, the second is making an enormous contribution to bottom line beacuse it has an "I want" factor which will be prevalent in the three weeks running up to Christmas. I can tell you precisely the type of outlet and the type of person who will buy this "I want" product. She lives in Cheshire, has high disposable income,probably doesn't work, is aged 45-55, regards herself as ten years younger, likes to lunch etc. She doesn't go to football.

Finding the true perceived value of a football match is very tough.

1. You take your kids therefore it is not a £25 decision for you it's much more.

PL clubs have invested a fortune in attracting families, the difficulty they face is these families have grown up but the parents still face the total cost. My view on STs has gone from "cheap" to "excellent value" as the family has got older. My perception of away games has moved to "too expensive, can't afford it" and we have stopped completely. I'm paying my eldest ST while he's at uni because I know that even if he only sees half the matches it's cheaper than me having to shell out £25-£35 when he's home.

2. Also you have a family, so imagine the same income with far less outgoings and £25 means little.

I can understand that but crowds have changed and the make-up in Blackburn is not of highly-paid individuals with good disposable income.

3. You take a new job that pays much more than your current one.

Agreed but you can't run a business on the basis of hoping your customers will increase their income by changing jobs. Most people hit an earnings peak in their mid-thirties, from there on disposable income decreases until the kids finish university, then we retire with a vastly reduced income.

4. You live and work in London.

I don't see the relevance. Life is more expensive in London. On my salary supporting four STs at a PL club would be out of the question

5. Rovers v Spurs at Cardiff..... how much was that worth?

This is an "I want" factor. I'm not sure at the price which would stop me going. I can imagine paying £80-100 but the wife might stay home....... ;)

6. You support Man Utd, cant get tickets easily for OT and you get the chance to see em live for £25.
It's a one-off or rare treat. On that basis I'd pay £25 for me and the kids, as a treat.

7. Last but certainly not least.......Returned from Krakow with the realisation that I could have bought next years ST for less money than my 3 day trip cost!

STs are great value for money. Before I'm in the zimmer frame I'm going to do a Euro trip but right now I can't from both a financial and time perspective.

The bottom line for many is the ST represents enormous value and provides significant, and to me, important perks. I can fund this out of our annual budget. What I cannot fund is a perceived cost of around £100 to take me and the kids to Ewood on a walk-up basis. The good lady "We're over budget this week dear and Johnny needs new shoes", The bread-winner " It's Utd next week, I'm just off to get four tickets, it's only £104" Having an ST allows me to go without this discussion and for a few games to invite a friend along at my cost - as I'm doing for the United match.

There's the problem, and I know there are cheaper options, our seats for Utd would be £104 on a walk-up basis. My disposable income and many, many other people's does not stretch to that every other week. I fully appreciate your "pay for it or lose it" arguement, it does make sense. The problem is thousands will not pay for it, myself included, at this price. This leaves the club with only one option, reduce prices and reduce costs. The only way to reduce costs is to cut player wages.

Edited by Paul

I agree with your post USA Blue, I do also wish more people within the town would realise how lucky we are to have this club.For me personally,as a fan who started supporting Rovers in the dark days of the early 80's, what we have now and what we have achieved this past decade or so was beyond my wildest dreams as little far back as 1991.

What makes me both sad and mad is that people moan about the prices even when the Utd's and Liverpool's come to town(we still cant fill our sections!) will they EVER realise that maybe in 5-10 years time when we are playing Wallsall at home in a freezing Nov night infront of a 3/4 empty stadium just how lucky we were back then.

The loss of a manager, the sale of high profile players,and down turn in finances and hey ho,before we all know its 1980 all over again for our club.....just ask a Forest fans how he feels.

There are 3 games on telly here on a Saturday and I have become so turned off by the way the game is going I hardly watch, I used to never miss. It's pewtrid, vile and disgusting what is going on. Shoulder challenges are called up now, clean tackles are blown up and yellow cards issued, what for? because it was a hard challenge and "could have" caused injury. It did not so get on with, however these "professional" tactics are allowed to go unchecked all the time. Football has only Football to blame, for the most part, for it's decline in these parts.

Now they are talking about changing the goals come on the game was bloody fine before the tinkerers started, offside was offside. BTW I thought there had to be daylight between the defender and attacker, don't see that called do we.

Consistency, fairness and the same rules for everyone combined with harsh punishment for cheating will go along way to helping things.

I haven't watched a game on TV this season, not MOTM, Euro or whatever. I'd have watched the Krakow game if I hadn't been on the M6. Hardly watched any footie on TV last season and even the WC was low on my list of priorities ~ for all of the reasons above.

Blackburn Rovers is my team and these days it's all I'm interested in seeing because the golden goose was murdered many years ago.

Yes you are absolutely right. Though many took an opposite view the Basel game was one of the best at Ewood for a long time for the reasons you give. If we had proper football like this more often there would be a lot more interest in the game.

Today I am in the fortuotous position of being able to buy season tickets for my family. I can also afford to come to mid-week games. Unfotunately, the flip-side of being in this position is that my job comes with demands on my time and therefore I didn't go to the CC game against Chelsea, but me and eldest daughter did go last week (wife and youngest daughter didn't due to it being a school night).

I still get the buzz when walking from the car towards the ground, but my general interest in football is certainly waning. I used to watch the Sunday and Monday night games on Sky without fail, and look forward to it. Now, I can hardly be bothered. In fact today, I'll not watch the football, I'll watch the rugby instead. If I'm representative of football fans in general this is bad news for Rovers, because most of our income is from TV - and if the audience/subscription/ad revenue figures fall then the next TV deal will be much, much worse. Why is my interest on the wane? I'm not sure exactly, but there are a few things I can put my finger on.

Firstly, players are paid too much, too disconnected from the fans, too interested in CHEATING. Martin Johnson once sad that the difference between football players and rugby players was that the former spent 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, whilst the latter spent 80 minutes pretending not to be. I cannot stand the way players dive about, act, roll, con and cheat their way through games. Who's complicit in this? Well I feel sorry for the ref's some time. Yes they make stupid mistakes, yes some of them are filled with self-importance - but often the are the only people on the pitch NOT trying to cheat the result. Managers have to shoulder a lot of the burden. Forget messing with offside, or the goals. If you want to improve football - make managers accountable for the behaviour of their players - and retrospectively dock points for diving, cheating and conning. Within weeks the game would be considerably cleaner.

What of the future? Well, the bigger, greedier clubs will want more of the TV money. They'll probably form their Euro super league. It'll be a success for a year or so whilst the novelty wears off. There will be no atmosphere because there'll be no away fans. There will be no traditional rivalries so TV will have to generate their own (how pathetic all the Chelski-Barcelona hype was). Fans will turn off.

Still, might be good for the likes of Rovers, Charlton, Everton etc. We may end up with a competitive league and maybe that'll stimulate the excitement of going to the match again...

Maybe we should think of a ball park figure.

Perhaps only 20,000 out of 110.000 folks in Blackburn have the remotest interest in footy. A fair few of the attendance live out of the environs of Lancashire if you take this board as a representation of the fan base.

On any given match day ko time,location etc determime how many folks from out of Lancashire can make it.

If this MB is a true indication of the fanbase I can understand why the non Lancashire based fans choose not to attend on a Thursday evening.Work,school etc... the next day.

Then there is the European competitions themselves.The Champions League...what a joke when clubs complain about the number of games they have to play...make the Champions League the winners of each European league playing off vs against each as it used to be. Same for the UEFA cup.Just like in the old days.

I have no problem with folks choosing what games they attend now the game we love is run by business men.

If a $40,000 a week actor/singer produces a turkey of a movie/song I'll think twice about watching/listening the next time. The same goes for footy....given the game these days is polluted by actors on the playing field I think the consumer has the choice as to whether they buy the product or not.The affluent members of this board,such as Celtic supporting Jan, should consider others situations before spouting crap.

<<should consider others situations >> barring the missing apostrophe, totally agree, SAR!

I'll probably never be involved in a Blackburn End 'You are my sunshine....' (totally unpercussive, incidentally, drummer fans) surge again but I wish it still happened. Too many folk on here have a selfish perspective...

Disappointing result at Villa Park (dubious penalty and all) - glad that 'the man' hasn't surpressed dodgy satellite everywhere ;) - we'll just have to concentrate on Europe!

Oh if you're going to Holland clap your hands...!

I think every club's got dark & bright moments:just look at Chelsea as mid table team in the early 90's;at Leeds as one of the first club in Europe just few years ago;at Notts Forest etc.

It's true maybe Premiership football in B'burn'll end a day,but Leeds proved it can happen everywhere(N'castle this season?).

Let's not be so pessimistic.We'll see what future'll bring.This's football,simple as that.Let's just think & enjoy that,in the last 12 years,we achieved Premiership title,Worthington Cup,1 time played in the Champions League & 5 times in the UEFA Cup.Sounds great,yep?Maybe it'll be better,maybe it'll be worst,but something's sure...4EVER PROUD OF THIS CLUB :brfc:

Sorry for bit off topic

I think every club's got dark & bright moments:just look at Chelsea as mid table team in the early 90's;at Leeds as one of the first club in Europe just few years ago;at Notts Forest etc.

It's true maybe Premiership football in B'burn'll end a day,but Leeds proved it can happen everywhere(N'castle this season?).

Let's not be so pessimistic.We'll see what future'll bring.This's football,simple as that.Let's just think & enjoy that,in the last 12 years,we achieved Premiership title,Worthington Cup,1 time played in the Champions League & 5 times in the UEFA Cup.Sounds great,yep?Maybe it'll be better,maybe it'll be worst,but something's sure...4EVER PROUD OF THIS CLUB :brfc:

Sorry for bit off topic

Good post. Well managed, there's no real reason why Rovers Premiership future should end in the forseeable future. On the contrary, given the gulf in TV revenues really we should be comfortably better than the 3 promoted clubs each year.

On the flip side of the coin, poorly managed, big crowds are little guarantee of success as Leeds have proved and Newcastle are proving.

Sorry for bit off topic

That post has lifted the spirits tonight pal,small town club that we are,they'll never take our achievments away from us...NEVER!!! :rover:

Lancashire Utd my arse :lol:

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I had many happy times going to Villa Park, win, lose or draw. Wish I could have been there today. I am bringing my son up to support his home town team. We usually get in a couple of games a season and when we do go he totally loves it. He wants to go all the time but it's a bit difficult living in Spain :rolleyes::rolleyes: If the Blues are on TV then I record the game for him to watch the day after when he is home from school. I think that if more parents take an interest then there will be more people there on the day. I was brought up following the Rovers due to my parents and I am doing the same with my son. My daughter has no interest in the game but I still keep trying with her :lol: As far as I am concerned the Rovers are doing the right thing in going into schools and interesting the kids. That's where our future is. You will never get all of the people from Blackburn there but if they go into schools and catch the next generation of supporters then things can't be that bad.

Cath

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.