BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sparky Wants Another New Striker?

Not sure where to put this as we no longer have a transfer rumour thread but it seems that Mark Hughes can't be all that happy with the four (!) strikers he brought in last summer as he is after the Olympiakos striker and Cypriot international Yiannakis Okkas. With a name like that I'm sure the Rovers faithful will be able to quickly think up a few songs for him in case he comes in Jan.

Rovers consider Okkas Move

Is the writing on the wall for Jeffers, Roberts or Nonda perhaps?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where to put this as we no longer have a transfer rumour thread but it seems that Mark Hughes can't be all that happy with the four (!) strikers he brought in last summer as he is after the Olympiakos striker and Cypriot international Yiannakis Okkas. With a name like that I'm sure the Rovers faithful will be able to quickly think up a few songs for him in case he comes in Jan.

Rovers consider Okkas Move

Is the writing on the wall for Jeffers, Roberts or Nonda perhaps?

A different way of looking at it would be that he is a straight replacement for Roberts who could be out for longer than anticipated.

Anyhow none of our strikers are really setting the world on fire so maybe this will inspire them to greater efforts...

I would be worried about signing a 29 year old nobody has heard of. What has he being doing all that time to make it likely he will make any impression in the Prem?

On the plus side, would almost exactly the same thing have been said about Nelsen a couple of years ago?

I like the idea of signing another striker. Clearly central midfield has to be Hughes' priority, however I would be suprised if we're not going to strengthen all areas of the team come January. As Eddie said though-if we were to go for a striker then perhaps a younger forward would be preferrable as opposed to another striker whose best days look to be behind him.

I wouldn't say that you could say that any of our striker's best days are behind them, they are all either in their prime or just about to go into it; but it would be nice to have someone younger who could learn from them and develop for when they are either sold on or become too old. Benni is a very good player, we should take advantage of it and get someone in who could learn from him, particularly as we also have Hughes to pass on useful tips.

I wouldn't say that you could say that any of our striker's best days are behind them, they are all either in their prime or just about to go into it; but it would be nice to have someone younger who could learn from them and develop for when they are either sold on or become too old. Benni is a very good player, we should take advantage of it and get someone in who could learn from him, particularly as we also have Hughes to pass on useful tips.

I do agree-we have the strikers and management who any young striker would love to learn off. What i should've said in my previous post was that I was mainly aiming my 'best days behind them' comment at Nonda and Jeffers. I would be very suprised if either rediscovered their form of old-but at least Mark hughes is giving them a fair crack of the whip.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Yep he sure did and he scored with a bicycle kick!!! Ala Mark Hughes used to in his hay days.Thats probabley what caught his eye.Link To The Goal v Rovers.

Bits from the LT report : Olympiakos 5 V Blackburn 0.......................

IPB Image

Olympiakos were quite simply irresistible going forward, cutting Rovers' makeshift defence to shreds at will, with Rivaldo and the equally impressive Predag Djordjevic the destroyers-in-chief.

Employing a fluid 4-3-3 formation, Olympiakos caused Rovers all kinds of problems in the final third, yet Hughes later insisted he was not too perturbed by his team's overall performance, claiming it was still a more than useful exercise.

Chances continued to come and go for both sides in an entertaining first half as IOANNIS OKKAS fired over for the Greeks, then Sergio Peter cracked a fierce half volley into the side-netting following clever prompting down the right from the marauding Didier Agathe.

Olympiakos dominated after that as Friedel saved from Rivaldo, then Djordjevic and the Lively OKKAS both shot wide from inviting positions.

Eventually, the pressure told and the Greeks fashioned a well-worked second on 31 minutes, OKKAS sneaking in on the blind side of Michael Gray to supply a pin-point cross for Djordjevic to head powerfully home.

Hughes, who looked distinctly unimpressed on the sidelines, made five changes at the start of the second half, but that failed to stop the rot, OKKAS adding a brilliant third on 50 minutes with an acrobatic scissors kick.

LT Report.

On tonights evidenceI can see why Hughes has a roving eye as far as strikers are concerned...

While Benni clearly has bags of skill none of our strikers really are ones you expect to threaten a defence. We need a player who is going to cause damage in the box.

Wouldn't mind a bit of pace too.

He didnt say 1 or 2 strikers - he said 1 or 2 people to add to the squad or something similar.

He said "we have benni, shabani and Franny but if we could add one or two more than that would be great". Or something similar. You know Sav though-he may've been talking about defenders for all we know!!

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.