BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton V Blackburn

Eddie

Just got bac from the game, stayed in London.

What an absolute shambles. Cannot really add on anything which has already been said however we look like such a different team than we did last year. There is no pace for a start and everytime the ball broke into the last third of the pitch Nonda and McCarthy looked like they could not be arsed. There was one point where the ball was going out of play and nonda just jogged after it, stopped, saw that Mark Hughes was p1ssed off and then chased after it again. By that time Charlton had a throw in.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night was one of the most inept performances I have seen. Looked like we couldn't be arsed half the time. The rest of the time we gave the ball away needlessly, lacked ideas passion and commitment. Having heard reports of how crap Charlten were at Sheff Utd, surely this was a chance for us. But oh no Rovers as they always do surrender to a team that "needs the win more". Why do we always do this?? West Ham, I knew we'd get beat! Christ they had like 8 defeats in a row.....don't worry here's Rovers in town to help you out! Same with Charlton. When is it we play Watford away??? Cause they'll need a win, and we'll probably surrender there too.

Bentley has been terrible ever since someone told him he was having a good season. Pedersen, nuff said already..... Brad, although he made a few saves WHAT IN GODS NAME WAS THAT WALL ALL ABOUT??

That's 2 things we have confirmed as a result of last night's game.

1) We are always there to gives struggling teams a hand for 3 points. 2) We always concede goals form free kicks.

Ooijer says it was a good free kick! My arse! The wall was a disaster and they have to take collective responsibility for that.

And another thing how much fannying about do we do in defense! Christ sake man. We need Nelsen back PRONTO. Otherwise we are relegation fodder.

Don't give me all this crap about the game being played on a Tuesday, it is too close to Saturday's game. That doesn't wash wish me when Wenger & Benitez say it, and so it doesn't wash either when Hughes says it. They are professional footballers getting paid a bucketload that train every day to compete in matches.

Mark Hughes, how long was he in charge of Wales before they started to slide.

The answer is, about the same length of time he has now been in charge of Rovers. After the euphoria in the first part of his tenure Wales supporters were pleased to see Hughes go in the end.

All managers have a limited shelf life and there's not many who last more than 3 years. Either they get the sack or they move on voluntarily before the rot really starts to set in.

If Hughes left tomorrow any new manager coming in and assessing the current squad would come to the conclusion that it is 1) lacking in creative ability 2) lacking in firepower 3) far too old.

Just back. An utterly pathetic inept performance that had relegation written all over it from first minute to the miserable last. If Nonda ever plays in a Rovers shirt again then Hughes is an absolute muppet. My granny could run faster and put in more effort. McCarthy scarcely any better. No pace anywhere in the team. Total inability to beat an opponent in wide positions. Gallagher shocking - get rid to the fizzy pop league asap.Peter no pace can't beat an egg. Bentley suicidal passing in midfield. Emerton back to his dumb ways, clueless and running inside. Friedel magnificent but then we knew that already.

I agree with your summary of every one of the players you mention on last nights performance, with one exception; Emmerton. He played the right wing role OK, beating his man and putting in perfect crosses on at least 3 occasions that I can recall. Two of these were wasted by MGP, and one by Benni, and in each case even I could have scored from them.

Just got back from the match.

Charlton 1 Rovers 0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

We're going down!! Watch us slip slowly into the relegation zone, and get rooted to the bottom.

I'm off to splash some cash on those sh1ts in blue and white relegating us.

Mark Hughes will leave for Man U, all our "players" will leave for brighter futures and with attendances like 16,900 Blackburn Rovers WILL NEVER RECOVER.

You are a cheerful *** aren't you?

Oh my freaking god what was this game all about!?!?!?!?

I happen to live in the USA if u cant tell by my name here, and well after work i came home poped open a beer and watched the game. I must say that when Charlton scored i sworn so loud that i woke up the misses.

After explaning the reason why she woken up from her peaceful nights sleep i sat there and was mad, i mean i was geuinely angery about rovers losing. I also didnt sleep very well that night and woke up mad about it. When i told my buddy about the loss he told me mabye its time to start supporting a new team, and after a through ass wooping i told him that i wasnt like the american football fans here in the states that only get behind there team when there winning and refuse to admit they have any afiation with the team there losing. My point behind this whole long drawn out story is that YES we are having a crappy season so far, we have no real talent coming up from the ranks and are form thus far is far below par(<--lol that rymed). But i have faith that we will turn this season around and if we dont get are act together then we all know were we will be next year :angry: .

As the season progresses it is becoming clearer why alot of clubs looked at McCarthy but gave him the thumbs down. He's talented but obviously has no appetite for the kick, bollock and bite of the Premiership . Same applies to Nonda but without the talent.

Losing to the bottom team says it all. This squad is in trouble and the board needs to back Hughes with some serious money in January.

Absolutely right Jim. There are just too many players with talent or potential in the side at present that are simply NOT DOING IT!!!

Having talent or potential is all well and good but you also need a large helping of guts and drive to go with it and in this team at present there are far too many passengers. That is exactly what talented players that don't want to battle it out are. Then we also have a few with limited talent but that will show guts and determination. We have only about 3 on last nights showing that have both talent and the will to battle. For me these were Friedal, Ooijer, and Henchoz. The rest are not worth a mention.

Incidentally Jim, isn't that signature photo Oswald Mosely? What is that all about?

I have supported Pedersen from some harsh criticism in the past but for the love of God, why will Hughes not give him the kick up the backside he needs and bench him for Peter? Hughes is way too cautious in this respect - favouring experience almost unconditionally.

As for the strikers - with Roberts out injured, only Nonda and Derbyshire, imo, can realistically partner Benni. Gallagher and Jeffers don't offer the pace to complement McCarthy's 'delicate' game.

What are you talking about? Nonda has no pace at all; Gally and Jeffers both have him beaten in that dept.

For me the most annoying thing about McCarthy is the amount of times he gets caught offside. Does the guy not know the rules ffs? It takes me back to Egil Offsidestad.

Anyway, as a side note, two long standing season ticket holding friends of mine have both told me they won't be renewing their tickets next season. An overreaction to last night? Possibly, but they're not usually prone to that kind of behaviour.

We're in the mire though make no mistake, I just hope that the manager's seemingly carefree attitude towards our position is just a front to stop the panic spreading to the stands.

Judging by the reaction on here (myself included) it looks as though it already has!

Follow the Ashes thread.

Englishmen supporting the convicts deserve the same fate as Haw-Haw in my book.

Yes, but Mosley was not Haw Haw. That ****hole was William Joyce.

When Hughes first took over I seem to recall Matteo doing a decent enough defensive job. He's not the attacking outlet that Gray is but he didn't let us down and I don't remember his place being called into question too often when we were securing clean sheet after clean sheet.

Its a strange one; the perceived ability of a player usually rises 10 fold when they're out of the team - in his case it seems to have gone in reverse. I'm not advocating a recall ahead of Gray but he's not the total lumbering carthorse that he's made out to be.

You just beat me to it with that one Bing; I was just shaping up to say the same on behalf of both players.

Gallagher is not a Premiership player on this season's showing.

I think Hughes was as brassed off as anyone........let's hope he can sort it out before the weekend!

Gallagher has had about 100 mins of Premiership football all season, probably not even that!. Cant believe people are slagging him off :rolleyes: Where as it takes MGP nearly a third of a season of crapiness before people stop sucking his cock!

Hughes should just give up on Nonda now, and use that place in the squad to ease Derbyshire into action.

wakefieldrawks did you see the game last night? He would get the ball and then stand still in front of the defender, I am pretty sure that he tripped himself up while standing still at one point and then fell into touch.

I am glad there haven't been any knee jerk reactions to last night :D

Irrespective of league position - everyone can beat everyone in this league. I am not surprised at getting beat - as some of our away performances have been diabolical. This isn't the first bad away performance is it ?

But lets put it in perspective - we have two of our best players from last season in the treatment room (Reid and Nelsen) - with our new Kuqi (Roberts) also out to the new year. We already had a thin looking squad without these long term injuries - and I think the number of matches is catching up with a number of players (which is worrying).

Knee jerk reactions indeed ....but to some of us the writing has been on the wall for ages now .

Two clowns up front ; one who has a modicum of skill and might , just might if given the right managerial treatment help get us through this difficult period until such a time as he can be shown the door . The other , I'm afraid is beyond redemption - ( I won't dig up the Nonda thread , some might be embarrassed that they ever saw anything in him)

So the answer is either to play with the lone "striker" - if I may refer to McCarthy as that - in a 4-5-1 system , or to try another striker alongside BM . For the game on Saturday I would persevere with two up front - maybe it's time to throw Derbyshire in the deep end . Having not seen the game yesterday I'll take the word of those who said Gallagher had a shocker ....and apologies to The Drog but I just don't think Jeffers is strong enough at this level - even though this level isn't very good at all .

All in all , it's pretty depressing and worrying that Hughes , the great striker that he was , can't motivate half the team who are supposed to be our threat . Thankfully this is one of the feeblest premiership leagues there's ever been ; once Nelsen and Reid get back and with a signing or two in the window we will survive .

It used to be touted as the best in Europe but I rarely hear of it now.

Top rate facilities are one thing. Ultimately its natural talent that decides who makes the grade and it doesn't matter a jot whether they're up at Brockhall swimming lengths in their fancy heated pool or down at Pleasington avoiding the dog doo.

Knee jerk reactions indeed ....but to some of us the writing has been on the wall for ages now .

Two clowns up front ; one who has a modicum of skill and might , just might if given the right managerial treatment help get us through this difficult period until such a time as he can be shown the door . The other , I'm afraid is beyond redemption - ( I won't dig up the Nonda thread , some might be embarrassed that they ever saw anything in him)

Nonda should be dropped but I certainly think Benni has something to offer. Clearly the best striker we have at the moment and his strike rate compares favourably to Cole, Jansen, Dickov, anyone really in recent rovers history apart from Bellamy. He has scored 8 in 21 games.

While the performance at Charlton was inexcusable we are a long longlong way from being down. Currently we are 9 points off sixth with a game in hand.

wakefieldrawks did you see the game last night? He would get the ball and then stand still in front of the defender, I am pretty sure that he tripped himself up while standing still at one point and then fell into touch.

Yes I saw the game. You cant lambast a player who has had a few 5 min sub appearances and expect him to come on at half time and perform like a trojan. It doesnt help when we have the forwards who'd look more at home if a tv and sofa were planted in front of the goal.

I didn't see any of Gally's performance at Charlton but everytime he has come on at home he has looked busy, eager to get on the ball and get involved in play. When he came on against Basle, he bust a gut to get forward and join attacks from midfield on several occasions and his involvement led to the third goal.

I'd dispute those who question his ability; technically, I think he's excellent and given an extended run up front I think we'd see that his finishing ability is very good indeed - already seen this season when he made a tricky chance against Man City look very easy.

I don't remember seeing Gally's performance at Charlton either, although I was watching the match on tv. I do remember him in the wall jumping out of the way as the ball flew past him into the net though :angry:

As for Matteo, please don't. I remember several matches pre Hughes (and a couple post Hughes) in which he was a complete embarrassment. He's a really nice guy but ....................

Just watched the RW highlights and i have to say we had some good chances. They had alot more though.

MGP and Benni put the ball into the side netting when they should have at least worked the keeper and i won't even start on Nonda's walk after the through ball or inability to beat carson from 2 yards out.

The wall was awful but i think that may be because of the subs not being used to the set up. Intersting that (i think lucas) almost got all the way across to clear the ball but yet the wall blocked brad's view and not the goal.

Very annoying but bring on newcastle.

yes it was not a good result, yes once again we are all frustrated and quite frankly annoyed that once again we are crap against a worse team,

but to bet against your own team i find disgraceful and uncalled for. It aint always easy, but you should be supporting your team whatever, whoever

:wstu:

In no way did I want Rovers to lose and as Ive stated (twice) I was no less peeved when Charlton scored. However to say that betting against your own team is "disgraceful and uncalled for" is IMO a riducolous thing to say which I hope was posted from you out of anger at the result.

Like it or not, anyone listening to the radio, knowing our habit of self destructing and recalling the visit to Charlton 2 years ago were probably fearing the worst. 30/1 with a few minutes remaining seemed a big price on Charlton. That doesn't mean I suddenly put my best red T-shirt on and was jumping around the house screaming Charlton on. It also in no way affected the result.

Generally, if you think a price is quite a way too big then it is probably is, therefore you should back it. Rovers currently at 14/1 to go down is also too big. We are a bigger price to go down than Watford, Sheff Utd, Wigan, Charlton, Fulham, man City, West Ham, Boro and Newcastle.

Having seen or heard all games this year and knowing the state of our squad (injuries , lack of pace etc..) everyone must agree that 14/1 is too big a price, hence why I had a tenner on last night. Regardless, I pray to god for the good of this season and the whole future of Blackburn Rovers football club that we remain a Premiership club and that I have kissed this money goodbye never to be seen again.

Edited by Hasta

I didn't see any of Gally's performance at Charlton but everytime he has come on at home he has looked busy, eager to get on the ball and get involved in play. When he came on against Basle, he bust a gut to get forward and join attacks from midfield on several occasions and his involvement led to the third goal.

I'd dispute those who question his ability; technically, I think he's excellent and given an extended run up front I think we'd see that his finishing ability is very good indeed - already seen this season when he made a tricky chance against Man City look very easy.

Totally agree with your first paragraph and totally disagree with your second paragraph.

There are elements to his technical ablility which are good - but there isn't a single player from the Conference upwards who doesn't have something going for them.

Let's not forget that this is Gally's second chance - he's been here before and proved nothing - Jon Stead was a better option at the time. Gally had a good season at Stoke playing out wide but that doesn't make him a PL striker.

As anyone who was there last night could see, it doesn't make him a PL wide player either. He has neither the pace nor the skill to beat the poorest full backs in the league. Unless he hits a really early cross he loses the ball.

In short - he's not the answer in either position. We certainly can't afford to give him an "extended run up front" - no manager who has ever had him on the books has done that. Because he's just not good enough.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.