BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton V Blackburn

Eddie

Well now that the Fulham result has cheered everyone up a bit we get to try our hand against another of London's smaller sides with a trip to the Valley on Tuesday night. The worrying thing for all Blackburn fans is that this seems like an almost certain win. Charlton are currently sitting at the bottom of the table with 9 points from 15 games, though their home form isn't all that bad. They won two, drawn two and lost three at home; to put that in perspective, if they beat us on Tuesday then we will have identical home records.

The importance of this match cannot be overstated. A win would see us move up to 11th, still with a game in hand on several teams around us. While defeat would mean that we would be only 4 points above 19th (albeit with a game in hand). I don't think our squad has quite made up their mind as to whether they would like to have a chase for European spots or a relegation battle this season, but now would be a good time to make up their minds.

We have good memories of the Valley from last year, making two trips, one in the league and the other in the League Cup. We won both, the league cup 3-2 (after a great comeback in the last 20 minutes from 2-0 down) and in the league 2-0, which was Curbishley's last home game in charge. Since then Charlton have had two managers, the first, Rocket Scientist Dowie, who seemed to think that Charlton was close enough to his family in the North to justify leaving Crystal Palace and using that as an excuse and the second, Les Reed. I have to be honest and say that I don't know much about him, not many seem to, so I did a bit of research. Unlike a lot of clubs who have promoted coaches or players in recent times (Roeder and Southgate), Charlton chose a man in Reed who has all of the required coaching badges and has actually been heavily involved in the establishment of the FA's dream of having wonderfully qualified men in football. His playing career saw him play for Cambridge, Watford and Wycombe, with his first coaching role coming at Wealdstone. He had previously been a Charlton first team coach in the late 90's before moving into a position as an England youth coach, helping to produce the generation of players who now regularly underperform in England colours, the Charlton fans must be very excited. In 2002 he was promoted to acting technical director and stayed in the role for two years, I'm not 100% sure exactly what that means that he did. He returned to Charlton last January as a coach and was promoted to assistant when Dowie took charge, though rumours suggest that he had something to do with the push that Dowie recieved. So far he has been relatively quiet and not made many changes, though I have to admit I was unimpressed by a manager who said that he had learned a lot about his side after watching his first game in charge and was now able to identify the areas in which they had to improve. This would be normal for a man who had just taken over, but seems a bit odd for someone who had been at the club for 9 months.

If Reed is to turn things around then he will have to get Bent back to scoring ways. Their success last year was mainly on the back of Darren Bent's goals, so far he hasn't been nearly as prolific and a key to winning this game will be keeping him quiet. Other players to watch out for will be Ambrose and Holland, they have the ability to dominate a midfield and we will have to be good in that area in order to keep the ball and prevent them from creating chances. Reid has also been in good form recently, scoring his second goal for the club this weekend since his move from Spurs. He may be a little round, but he has a dangerous left foot and I'm pretty sure that Rover6 might have some stong views about his ability.

I will update this preview with some team news when it is released, though we already know what our situation should be unless we pick up some injuries in training. Long term casualties Nelsen and Reid will be out, Tugay will return from suspension and Zurab may or may not have recovered from the muscle strain that kept him out from the weekend. I would suspect that we may well field the same team that won yesterday, though Tugay might return to the middle, seeing Bentley move out to the right, Emerton drop back to right back and Neill move over to left back. This does seem like our strongest side, but as the team performed so well on Saturday I would be reluctant to change something that works.

My prediction for the game is a 3-0 win for Rovers. Last year I missed the entire first half of this game thanks to a friend who assured me he knew where we were going, 2 and half hours later we arrived at the Valley. If the man who was sat behind us happens to post on here then then this is probably a good chance for me to apologise, we didn't mean to take your foot rests as it seemed to get you very upset.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice informative preview Eddie.

This should be a good game which both teams will be desperate to win. Its a game which we should and will win.

Prediction - 2-1 to Rovers.

See you all in the antigallican (sp?)

Edited by Jordan

Excellent work but I must raise issue with one part.

Other players to watch out for will be Ambrose and Holland, they have the ability to dominate a midfield and we will have to be good in that area in order to keep the ball and prevent them from creating chances.

:unsure:

Matt Holland is a poor Premiership player. Insert cliches about being 'a good honest pro' and 'getting stuck in'. He's from the Garry Flitcroft school of central midfielders; he patrols a 20 yard square area in the middle of the park and contributes precious little to the team creatively. Darren Ambrose has never looked like becoming a Premiership footballer either. He was touted as being a talented youngster but he's been around a few years now and has never produced anything on a consistent basis.

If these two 'dominate' us then its time to pack up and go home.

I went to this fixture last season and what an atmosphere!!

last away game of the season and all i rememeber was inflatables flying around everywhere and loads of fans dressed up in scream outfits etc.

took some awsome videos on my mobile, i really should put them on youtube.

it was confortable last season, tugay and reid run the show from start to finish though theres no reid this time round and our other scorer that day is gone to the scousers!!

this season we go in to the game 3 unbeaten in all competitions, benni has got a new hair cut and is hitting the net again. charlton are poor, useless to be honest and if we get the first goal early like on saturday there could be a riot.

4-0 rovers

gamst

benni

nonda

bert mk2

Does anyone know if you'll be able to buy tickets on the gate like a couple of years ago? I've just changed my flight so I can make this tomorrow.

2-0 Rovers Benni & Gamst to score.

Just checked - yes, no problem. Can buy at the ground.

See y'all tomorrow.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.