BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton V Blackburn

Eddie

How much longer will Hughes accept Nonda & Mcarthey giving the ball away every single time!! Just wait till we face good opposition and then we will get wasted!

We played one of the poorestr teams in the Premiership and we still lost! Key was we still lost those second balls and if we keep losing them we will find ourselves in the bottom half!!

Edited by John

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as Dickov has yet to score for Citeh this season we're well rid there imo.

Can't disagree with your analysis of Messrs McCarthy and Nonda though.

I didn't mean Dickov would score much (although he hasn't had many chances at Citeh to be fair - and it's only a couple of seasons since he was our top scorer).

I meant that if either of our current clowns up front had Dickov in the vicinity, they might put an honest shift in - either caused by guilt or enforcement by the deranged scottish midget.

Worst bloody £80 I've ever won.

Had £2 at 10/1 and then another £2 at 30/1 just after Henchoz brought them down for the free kick.

Was Friedel at fault for goal??

yes it was not a good result, yes once again we are all frustrated and quite frankly annoyed that once again we are crap against a worse team,

but to bet against your own team i find disgraceful and uncalled for. It aint always easy, but you should be supporting your team whatever, whoever

I haven't seen replays and it was on the opposite side of the ground, but it seemed to be bent around the opposite side of the wall to which Friedel was on, so there is no way he could have got to it (I think). However, whether the wall should have been further over or if a man should have been back on the post is a different matter.

I haven't seen replays and it was on the opposite side of the ground, but it seemed to be bent around the opposite side of the wall to which Friedel was on, so there is no way he could have got to it (I think). However, whether the wall should have been further over or if a man should have been back on the post is a different matter.

Just watched the highlights (lowlights) again, and it was certainly Neal not Ooijer (that hurts to type) with what should have been a penalty against. Of course, Brad probably would have saved it, so play on....

On the goal, either Savage or Gray (some muppet with long blond hair) was standing on the keepers left side of the wall, and just before the kick, ran across, vacating the left flank. Neill seemed to come across with force of a pre-schooler and watched the ball hand the Addicts 3 points. It's almost comical trying to think of an explanation....

Hasta...your last couple of lines made me burst out laughing........which takes some doing after that performance.

Friedel is unbelievable. I can't bring myself to watch the goal replay......but if he was at fault, I forgive him totally. We played some absolute crap against mediocre teams last season but this takes some beating.

I agree with most on here but here is my perspective anyway:

.....Pederson is lightweight I NEVER get excited when he gets the ball. Nonda was worse than anyone we played up front last year and although I like Benni - he was rubbish too. This is really worrying we looked totally impotent up front..............ohhh for a Duff or a Bellamy, sigh! Neill is a liability - not just the penalty claim but he gave the ball away.......ran forward to try to win it back and charlton bypassed him for another dangerous attack, Savage was anonymous - I am a fan but he was disappointing today, Bentley was poor - apparently he was good in the tugay role last weekend but today we saw the reality. When Tugay came on, he was brilliant....he actually passed to our own players - shame about that atrocious back-pass but fortunately super Brad was on hand to clear up. Gallagher is not a Premiership player on this season's showing.

I think Hughes was as brassed off as anyone........let's hope he can sort it out before the weekend!

We were rubbish. We are inconsistent and thats disappointing. Honestly we didnt deserve anything from it last night but losing that way was hard to take.

Too many players didnt show up last night and unless for Friedel the score would have been 4 or 5 nil.

Btw, from the free kick, Neill clearly came through onto Friedels vision and the ball went right past his leg seemingly as if he thought Brad had it covered.

Blame to be shared I reckon.

Well I've bitten my tongue long enough.....

Absolute rubbish last night! I think we need to make WHOLESALE changes and bring fresh faces in over the January transfer window... or we face a relegation battle.

The alarm bells were ringing in the LET last night, when Hughes singled out Henchoz as being our key defender ''hench man''. This guy has no pace! How can we rely on him against pacey premiership strike forces? This must be what Hughes thinks when we are in the market for players... instead of getting a tried and trusted centre half we get 2 strikers who are at best, squad players - Nonda and Jeffers. Coupled with that, players like Gallagher who have scored at every level since the under 18's arent being given a chance.

If I was an opposing manager I'd be telling my forwards, and attacking midfielders to run at players like Ooijer, the ''hench man'' and Gray with the ball... they'd get turned on a 6 pence!

We cant blame Europe for performances like last night - Hughes knew Nelsen would be out til xmas.... we go and get Henchoz who was getting paid off us for weeks, and not even playing cos he wasnt fit as he wasnt at a club because MIGHTY Wigan released him !!!! ffs

We need a left back (Gray isnt good enough - simple as that), centre half, creative midfielder (Tugay isnt gonna be fit enough all season due to his age) and a DECENT striker.

It does make you wonder what we do in training... do we not practice passing to each other? And can we not defend a basic free kick, against a basement team? It is rubbish!

In the meantime, bring back Todd and put Neill at left back.

Lose to the filth on Saturday and we could be doomed sooner than people think

Edited by SuperStella

The alarm bells were ringing in the LET last night, when Hughes singled out Henchoz as being our key defender ''hench man''. This guy has no pace! How can we rely on him against pacey premiership strike forces?

I can agree with most of the rant SS, but not this bit. Henchoz is a good player, becuase what he lacks up for in pace he usually makes up for in his ability to read the game and anticipate what is coming - very similar to Mr Nelsen.

It also appeared from the brief highlights I saw that Charlton looked far the hungrier of the two sides and we created next to nothing.

I thought Charlton played very well, good passing, constant danger with very good through balls to their front men. Sam was very good, don't look like a side destined to go down on that performance.

One more thought on Nonda, it could be worse, we could have spent almost 30 mil on Schevchenko(sp). Nonda's giving up the ghost infuriates me as, I hope it does Hughes too.

Edited by USABlue

Superstella - i totally agree matey. for a long time now pedersen has been very very mediocre at best and i think we are in trouble if all we have to rely on in that position is a young kid not 20 years old yet (i think). off the top of my head i can think of possibly 3 positions on the field that we need to make an upgrade.

Neil might have to stay at right back if Bert is out :(

I thought Neill was an accident waiting to happen last night, Addicks should have had a penalty and he made several rash challenges. In fairness he did do well overall provided support on his forays forwards, Ooyah, turning out to be a very very good buy.

I can agree with most of the rant SS, but not this bit. Henchoz is a good player, becuase what he lacks up for in pace he usually makes up for in his ability to read the game and anticipate what is coming - very similar to Mr Nelsen.

He did well I thought, some very timely tackles, too bad he took leave of his senses to give away the free kick, he could have let Bent go we had a second man coming in behind Henchoz (Sav I think) who would have been able to cover. As for knocking Henchoz, who was there available instead? Todd?? well if it's pace you are after that would rule him out.

Forgive me Stu, I picked up the wrong quote, I meant to have the bit that you quoted, still learning this message board thingy.

Edited by USABlue

What does Pedersen do to justify his place in the side?

To be perfectly honest, there was far worse rovers players out there yesterday. Pedersen was, IMO, just the average player he is. A lot of the other players where far below average.

The first half was bad, but the second was worse. We played so bad we deserved to loose big. I dont get how Hughes can say we deserved a draw.

As the season progresses it is becoming clearer why alot of clubs looked at McCarthy but gave him the thumbs down. He's talented but obviously has no appetite for the kick, bollock and bite of the Premiership . Same applies to Nonda but without the talent.

Losing to the bottom team says it all. This squad is in trouble and the board needs to back Hughes with some serious money in January.

To be perfectly honest, there was far worse rovers players out there yesterday. Pedersen was, IMO, just the average player he is. A lot of the other players where far below average.

The first half was bad, but the second was worse. We played so bad we deserved to loose big. I dont get how Hughes can say we deserved a draw.

I have supported Pedersen from some harsh criticism in the past but for the love of God, why will Hughes not give him the kick up the backside he needs and bench him for Peter? Hughes is way too cautious in this respect - favouring experience almost unconditionally.

As for the strikers - with Roberts out injured, only Nonda and Derbyshire, imo, can realistically partner Benni. Gallagher and Jeffers don't offer the pace to complement McCarthy's 'delicate' game.

One of our problems I think is that we don't have enough defensively-minded players in the team when we play away. The likes of Bentley, Pedersen, Tugay, Gallagher, Peter and Gray are all better going forward and all lack defensive responsibility at times. If you add that to the fact that our front two don't work hard enough when the opposition are in posession then it means we are bound to come under pressure away from home.

There's nothing much wrong with our home form but we've got to get back to a position where we take points from games like yesterday's even if we don't play well. Whether that means switching to a 5 man midfield for away games or just playing the more defensive players in our squad (Mokoena in midfield, Matteo at left back etc) I'm not sure, but we need to do something.

I would like to see Savage play a more controlled games, especially away from home. Forget the rushing around like a mad man stuff - wherever and anywhere, sit deep and anticipate passes and cut them out - as well as harrying the opposition when they get in dangerous areas.

Also, who else is in favour of Emerton back at right back. It was going so well. I know he hasn't been bad in the past few games back in midfield, but we've already established over a number of tediously frustrating seasons that he isn't all that good at right mid. At RB he not only offers a useful attacking outlet but defensively he's looked sound.

Our Liverpool-lusting skipper can sit on the bench.

Edited by rover6

Maybe it's time to switch to a 5-man midfield then. Put Savage in front of the centre halves, let Tugay push forward more with another central midfielder offering support (although I can't think of anyone, unless it could be Sav, with Mokoena at the back). Only play one upfront. Negative, but we need to create more from midfield to stop the two forwards standing ten yards apart and heading the ball to each other before losing posession.

Charlton were almost as inept as we were, but they put several shots on goal - I think we had one, maybe two at most. I lost count of the numer of times we would give the ball away then they'd give it back, causing both sets of fans to start shouting. As to the person who asked how many Rovers fans were there, apparently 5Live said about 500, but I reckon we had a few more than that - 700/800 maybe.

Edited by squaylor

I've said it before but for me McCarthy's most frustrating point is his lack of directness towards goal. He gets the ball, dwells, tries a flick, attempts a trick when really we want our front two to run at defenders. We desperately need somebody pacey to compliment Benny, because at the moment he's just a luxury we cannot afford-especially away from home.

As for Shabani 'goal machine' Nonda...

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.