BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reading 1 Rovers 2

philipl

Yes, I think we're on the 7.54 but will double check, hopefully see you there. In fact if we are on that train we'll be there about the same time so will bell you Jordan.

Awesome, think that train goes through Congleton so i may just get on it.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who like to wear colours bear this in mind:

Your best bet is to use the town centre for pre-match beer and then make use of that wonderful number 79 bus again. Most pubs in the town centre are strictly non-football colours though. So unless you cover up well be prepared to get turned around. If you've come by train or want to be close to the bus stop you can try the Three Guineas at the station. The Forum opposite the station, which used to be the Firkin, will only let you in if they don't think you're a football fan!

Might be an idea to have something to cover up with.

Hello one and all, handbags_harris from Hob Nob Anyone? (HNA?) at your service.

Firstly, let's get to the important stuff: beer before games. The above given information on HNA? is slightly incorrect. If you arrive at the station, the only pub you'll be allowed in with colours is The Three Guineas, which is actually on Reading station. The Forum across the road is now a swanky "social club", and is bloody expensive to boot, and certainly won't let us footy oiks in. The 3G's is a good pub though, serves good beer and has about 4 guest ales at any one time (local I think). Also serves food, and is actually quite cheap for a southern pub, Carlsberg being only £2.50 a pint for example. It is deemed the "away fans pub" and no home fans are allowed in there (indredible that you can't go into a pub in your home town, but hey, welcome to Reading!).

If you make your way into the town centre then HNA? is correct in that you'll be turned away from the majority of bars if you're in colours. If you're drinking in town then the way to get to the ground is the 79 bus (opposite the station and down the hill to your right). You can also get the Madejski Stadium Park and Ride from the first bus stop on the same side of the road as the station.

There is one decent pub near the ground, however it has no tv's and is more of a food pub than a drinking mans pub. It's cheap however and has a good selection of lagers at least. It's called The World Turned Upside Down, and is down the Basingstoke Road. When you come off the M4 at Junction 11, take the first exit and get into the right hand lane, snake in an S bend through 3 sets of lights and you're on the Basingstoke Road. Follow this up for about a mile and the pub is on your right hand side. Parking can be found in the Travelodge Car Park and the ground is about 15 minutes walk. This is the only pub near the ground, so be warned if you park up expecting to find loads of water holes.

"Beer" is also served in the ground. Gates open an hour and half before kick off. The only stuff available is Fosters, Courage Best or Guinness and it's overpriced as well. The Pie and pint deal isn't too bad at a fiver though. Pies on sale are Steak and Kidney or Chicken Balti, so not a fantastic selection. You also have Cheesey Onion Pasties or Cornish Pasties, but I'm not sure if they come under the same deal or not because I usually go for the Balti Pie option. The food isn't too bad, it's edible at least, but it doesn't come anywhere near the pies we've experienced at Preston, Wigan or (whisper it) Burnley, so we're hoping your pies are just as good if not better when we get up there at the end of the season! It is generally overpriced for what it is, just like the catering vans dotted around the ground (£3 for a burger!!)

There is a bar at the ground (Jazz Cafe) for home season ticket holders, however they can take in one guest if they wish. I usually frequent this place before games, and get there by about midday. I have no guest to take in this weekend so the offer's there for a lone Rovers fan if they want. If there's a group of 2 or 3 then I'll grab a couple of mates to get you in. Much easier that way.

Word of warning when you get in the ground. The stewards are slightly overzealous. It's a contentious issue with home fans so don't feel you're being singled out for treatment. Be warned - if you stand throughout the game and ignore warnings from stewards, they WILL eject you from the stadium without question.

Any other issues about The Madejski you wish to raise, please just ask. I'll happily help.

"Beer" is also served in the ground.

Do they sell "Wine"?

So we're hoping your pies are just as good if not better when we get up there at the end of the season! It is generally overpriced for what it is, just like the catering vans dotted around the ground (£3 for a burger!!)

Fill up at Hilton Park Handbags. It's grimmer up north.

Hilton Park services M6 J 10A / 11 - dont agree with Ozzie, you will enjoy Holland's pies at Ewood when you come in May.

Durrrr, I only used to pass there when I travelled to me ol' mans! (Lives near Preston - someone's got to I suppose, what a sh*tpit that place is!). Bit slow on the uptake there...either way, it's by the by. I'll be travelling on train to your place!!

I bloody hope your pies are good, that's half the fun in Lancashire!!

Mmmmmmm pies, that's one of the things I miss living in Spain, a decent pie, they don't do them over here. Looking forward to my visit in January. Usually when I go to a game now we win. Hope so as my next visit coincides with us playing Arsenal. Hope we do well on Saturday, no offence handbags-harris but we really need the points. Last time I was in Reading was 1979 for the Reading rock festival. Had a whale of a time (for what I can remember) and the people from Reading were really nice. Anyone going to the game will probably find out if that is true at 5.45pm on Saturday.

Mmmmmmm pies, that's one of the things I miss living in Spain, a decent pie, they don't do them over here. Looking forward to my visit in January. Usually when I go to a game now we win. Hope so as my next visit coincides with us playing Arsenal. Hope we do well on Saturday, no offence handbags-harris but we really need the points. Last time I was in Reading was 1979 for the Reading rock festival. Had a whale of a time (for what I can remember) and the people from Reading were really nice. Anyone going to the game will probably find out if that is true at 5.45pm on Saturday.

No offence? NO OFFENCE?! For Christ's sake, do you not understand the etiquette of away teams at The Madejski?! You're supposed to roll over and let us stuff you!! Christ man, learn some manners!! I dunno, some people...!!

I missed the first two days of secondary school in 1978 due to my attending the Reading Rock festival that year.

Saw, amongst others, The Jam (Legends), Status Quo, TRB, Patti Smith, and John Peel was the MC and swore like a trooper-a bit of a shock.

Handbags, if you go to the away pub, The Fernhurst, then make sure you try the Ewood Bakery first-best pies in Blackburn. (When he opens that is, usually too busy servicing his hareem of nubile pie sellers.)

I missed the first two days of secondary school in 1978 due to my attending the Reading Rock festival that year.

Saw, amongst others, The Jam (Legends), Status Quo, TRB, Patti Smith, and John Peel was the MC and swore like a trooper-a bit of a shock.

Handbags, if you go to the away pub, The Fernhurst, then make sure you try the Ewood Bakery first-best pies in Blackburn. (When he opens that is, usually too busy servicing his hareem of nubile pie sellers.)

Ahhhh, the Reading Rock Festival. The one event that all Reading folk seem to avoid like the Plague! I'm quite happy to say that despite being a Reading resident for the majority of my 24 years, I haven't been to the Rock Festival (mainly because it generally clashed with that weekend's football and I kind of think that you've got to go to the whole weekend to experience it. No point in half measures is there? I mean how many people walk out of a football match after half an hour?

Heard about The Fernhurst. Didn't Utd "fans" kick off in there or just outside before their most recent visit? I'll certainly bear the pie shop in mind, if only for the sellers themselves... Any decent chippy's selling chips n gravy around as well? There's something you can't get down here...gravy with your chips! Scandalous!!

We've visited Turf Moor for the last 4 years (about time we made a step up in standard, their away stand is bleedin @#/?!), as well as plenty of other times in years previous. Each time we've visited, a mate of mine has stayed overnight in Accrington. Apparently there's a social club there selling beer for roughly £1.30 a pint...is this true? And where is it?!

I mean how many people walk out of a football match after half an hour?

I think a few of ours might have last weekend

Any decent chippy's selling chips n gravy around as well? There's something you can't get down here...gravy with your chips! Scandalous!!

There is one but I'm unsure of it's opening times.

There's a MacDonald's close by too, not as close as the one at yours though.

Hello one and all, handbags_harris from Hob Nob Anyone? (HNA?) at your service.

Any other issues about The Madejski you wish to raise, please just ask. I'll happily help.

How-do handbags! Cheers for the heads up. Very informative. :)

I'm actually having my stag night round Reading after the game. (Yes, I know it's an unusual place for a stag night, but it just worked out that way!) Anything (or anywhere) I should bear in mind?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by DanLad

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.