BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stand Up Jay Mceveley

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ssn reporting that McEveley has joined Derby for £1 million.

Impressive, especially when it is put in context of the Dunn signing for 1 million, the Warnock signing for 1.5 million and McCarthy for 2.5 million. ANd the fact he was nearly at the end of his contract.

The money must surely now go on a central midfielder? We have enough defenders.

Fantastic deal! - for Rovers. I knew there was a point to my signature.

You might want to remove Matteo as well :)

I had hopes for young Jay, still remember the first time I saw him when he outplayed David Beckham.

However that's four years ago and he doesn't seem to have fulfilled his potential at Rovers so I guess it's time to move on.

£1mill is good money too!

Some reports mention a bust-up between him and Hughes, anyone know anything about that?

Good money for a lad who never really showed more than early promise. But I can't help notice the squad seems to keep getting smaller.

Have I missed some outgoings?

January transfers IN

David Dunn (first team)

Stephen Warnock (first team)

Chris Samba (squad)

January transfers OUT

Lucas Neill (first team)

Dominic Matteo (squad)

James McEveley (squad)

Have I missed some outgoings?

January transfers IN

David Dunn (first team)

Stephen Warnock (first team)

Chris Samba (squad)

January transfers OUT

Lucas Neill (first team)

Dominic Matteo (squad)

James McEveley (squad)

I was taking long-term injuries into account, phil.

Forgot we've still got Mickey Blue Eyes, which makes this move even more understandable. It seems like the management team wanted to keep Jay, in that case I'm sorry he didn't sign that new contract he'd been offered. While I can understand he needs first team football at his age, I'd rather have him than Gray as our 2nd left back - purely because he's still just 21 and I think he has enough talent to become a decent Premiership defender. If Bolton's Hunt can..

£1m is a decent transfer for both sides though, I would think. Good luck to him!

I think it's the fact that we've effectively now got Dunn for Savage-even thought we didn't expect this to be the case. I really can't see how Dunn and Tugay can ever play in the centre again so if we don't want to rely on Mokoena (who could get injured/suspended too) then we really need to bring somebody in.

£1m is a good piece of business imo! People have already said - He doesnt look likely to compete for a first team spot and gives me heebee geebees when he's on the pitch.

We now have Gray as solid, experienced back up and perhaps it opens things up for Andy Taylor (remember him?! The guy who Hughes didnt want to be kept away on loan) to be integrated into the squad.

Hmm thats strange dillo, it had been on SSN ticker for a while and about 10mins ago they had a derby guy on talking about jay in training this morning and that it was likely he would feature tomorrow against dingles. (for that to happen he had to sign by 12)

Pathetic we have been robed realy bad business b hughes hope we have something like 20% of next sale.

I disagree that getting £1m for a 21year old, who has failed to live up to what was expected, is bad business. You can't say he hasn't been given a few chances. Always liked Jay Mc but Warnock has come in and by reports Jay didn't like it at all.

Much rather put the mil to use on CM and stick with Warnock, Gray & Taylor for a LB.

Even there:

First half of season:

Reid

Nelsen

Roberts

(Jeffers for a while)

Second half of season:

Reid

Savage

Ooijer

We actually have quite a large squad imo. around 20 players who would consider themselves first XI starters and five or six backups (Brown, Gray, Mokoena, Jeffers).

When everybody is fit we will have considerable strength in depth. Even now with injuries we look pretty well covered in every position save central midfield.

Archived