BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stand Up Jay Mceveley

On hearing that Stephen Warnock is undergoing a medical at Rovers, it got me thinking how Jay McEveley was thinking about the situation. I don't know about anybody else, but I thought Jay played superbly on Saturday against City and I thought it was one of the best left-back performances from a Rovers player in recent years.

Now that Andre is going to be out for a while, and the fact that Jay apparently is a natural centre half, does McEveley have a role to play in the first team in the long run, or will he simply slip down the pecking order when Warnock arrives???

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McEvelely definately looked better then Gray does on Saturday, but his distribution was terrible, he can only improve though with a run of games.

I'd rather we gave Jay a run of games instead of spending £1.5 on Warnock, whos only played 50 times ( most as sub ) for Liverpool in nearly 8 years!

Also according to Wikipedia Warnock has played 96 GAMES from 1998 - 2007! The guy is either a total sicknote or just a average player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Warnock

Lets not forget Djimi Troare was a Left Back for Liverpool once, and Warnock couldnt even Oust him?

I am glad to see Jay perform well despite me being a detractor. However, I feel that defensively he will get found out and therefore I reckon Hughes doesn't see him as first team material - at least not yet.

It has never been doubted that going forward he is impressive. It's just when wingers/full backs run at him that problems arise. From what I have read, Gillingham and Ipswich fans will tell you the same. Now, Ashley Cole was famously defensively dubious when he first emerged at Arsenal but unlike Cole, McEveley imo doesn't have the athleticism to ever become a match for fast wingers.

Doesn't his contract expire this summer?

I don't know how long McEveley will hang around if he's not playing regularly. He has admitted that his temperament is not always what it should be - and I remember reading how he admitted to having sulks whenever Souey left him out of games. I should think he will look to move on.

He also said that he's learned from the mistake under Souey, which weakens your argument, 6. I haven't been able to watch the last few games due to work, unfortunately, so I can't really comment on his performances. However, he's looked a bit misplaced every time I've seen him since those great first games for Rovers.

McEvelely definately looked better then Gray does on Saturday, but his distribution was terrible, he can only improve though with a run of games.

I'd rather we gave Jay a run of games instead of spending £1.5 on Warnock, whos only played 50 times ( most as sub ) for Liverpool in nearly 8 years!

Also according to Wikipedia Warnock has played 96 GAMES from 1998 - 2007! The guy is either a total sicknote or just a average player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Warnock

Lets not forget Djimi Troare was a Left Back for Liverpool once, and Warnock couldnt even Oust him?

With regards how many games Warnock has managed, I think I'm right in saying that the lad suffered two horrendous leg breaks earlier in his career.

If Bale has any sense he'll go to Arsenal, Wenger is excellent at bringing through younger players. Rafa is awful at progressing talented players, if they have a few bad games he simply sends them out on loan to france and forgets about them.

One problem though-Bale is Welsh. If he was from Senegal, France, Holland or Transylvania Wenger would make every effort to help him progress, and become a fantastic player. But since he is British or Irish, he'll probably play 5 first team games in 4 years and then be sold to Reading/us/West Ham/Charlton for a couple of £m, just like every other British or Irish player they have had from an early age.

The exception would be Walcott, as Wenger has spent a fortune getting him there.

Thought Jay did well against Man City - he was sloppy on a couple of occasions but I think he would eradicate these errors if he played more often.

He's always a bit like that though. Good overall, but with sloppy mistakes and we can't afford too many. I thought he was excellent against Chelsea in the Carling cup match, but the press slated him.

I'd like to think the arrival of Warnock will spur him on to clean up his play and put some extra work in. Hopefully Warnock will prove to be a good signing in more ways than one.

Still, I think I'd have preferred the Ukranian guy. Just for the fact that he's got major international experience.

I would reject because I think he is better than gray and is a better prospect than warnock, thats if he isnt already better.

Not sure about that. Sparky is no mug and would have been playing McEverley regularly if he thought that the quality was there. As it is he has been third choice behind Gray and Niell.

I wouldn't be too suprised to see McEverly go if the bid goes up by much more. The big issue is cover as we don't have too many lefties at the back.

Archived