BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Friedel Deal For Love, Not Money

I would have given Hughes the money with the proviso that should he fail, it would have to be cut back in the following two seasons. I think that this would be sensible and not the ridiculous Leeds United policy. I wouldn't put the club in financial peril like Peter Ridsdale.

Sadly, Villa do indeed have a billionaire running the club, and I think that they will improve further while we stand still, or get worse. They've bought a pretty good goalkeeper this summer, and will probably take Liverpool to the cleaners with Barry. They still have the likes of Young and Agbonlahor at the club, and a very good manager who wants to take the club to a higher level.

Hmmm......one man's "very good manager" is another's twitchy, psychotic long ball exponent.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you think Brad Friedel left? And while we're at it, why do you think that Bentley and Hughes left?

I would have given Hughes in the region of £20 million. Hughes would've brought in quality with that, and we would have put in a real challenge towards the CL qualification. Qualification would have seen a return on that outlay, and would have allowed us to bring in further quality. Hughes easily got the better of Wigan, Boro and Newcastle - teams that have wealthy benefactors. I believe that Hughes' shrewd dealings would have seen us challenge Liverpool for 4th place. Everton did it, we could have done the same. An opportunity missed, I feel. Had we failed to qualify, that would've meant the following season's budget would have decreased, but Hughes would've probably got a couple of gems in for little money. I would have rewarded him for doing such a good job.

We lost a real gem when he left, and if Hughes believed that City was a better bet to showcase his managerial talent, then that just goes to show how little he thought of Rovers' prospects.

You sound like a child writing his Christmas Wishes!!

You single out Williams for replacement ( by who???) when he has done equaly as good a job as Hughes with the costraints he has. The Rovers cheque book will onle materialise when we are in danger of losing our Premier League status.

First of all if you believe that Friedel would have gone to Villa on the same salary as at Rovers then you are very naive. I had hoped that you would have seen some sense as to admint that money was at least a significant, if not the primary, motivator. I've never really noticed your posts. However, the fact you completely dismiss the "at least double" salary being offered as a factor tells me that other people are correct and your obvious issues against JW and the club is stopping you having a balanced opinion.

As for Villa being far more ambitious that Rovers then yes I can accept that. They probably do have genuine ambitions and beliefs to try and break into the top 4 within the Premier League. They also do have Randy Lerner, a man with a personal fortune rumoured to be around if not over £1billion. For the amount of money that is probably available at their disposal, they should be setting their ambitions a damn bit higher than Rovers.

Offering more money is a sign of ambition in my book. Villa wanted Friedel so much that they offered Brad a big wage increase. But, as you say, money wasn't the primary reason Friedel left, as he wanted European football. Villa can provide that. A smart move from Brad in my book.

If Fulham offered to double his wages, do you think that Friedel would have gone to Craven Cottage? I think not.

Offering more money is a sign of ambition in my book. Villa wanted Friedel so much that they offered Brad a big wage increase. But, as you say, money wasn't the primary reason Friedel left, as he wanted European football. Villa can provide that. A smart move from Brad in my book.

If Fulham offered to double his wages, do you think that Friedel would have gone to Craven Cottage? I think not.

Look Vinjay - if it was a smart move you obviously don't belong here - go back to Kilbyland and enjoy the dross.

Look Vinjay - if it was a smart move you obviously don't belong here - go back to Kilbyland and enjoy the dross.

So I support Burnley just because I'm vociferous about things I don't like at Blackburn Rovers? Okay. :rolleyes:

As for yet another accusation I'm the mysterious Vinjay... you're totally wrong.

So I support Burnley just because I'm vociferous about things I don't like at Blackburn Rovers? Okay. :rolleyes:

As for yet another accusation I'm the mysterious Vinjay... you're totally wrong.

Sorry err... Jim is it? Flushed!

How is Kilbyland these days - still all ambition and class?

Because you're just as stubborn in your own viewpoint.

Friedel thinks he is better off at Villa, because they have ambition. He even stated that he thinks Randy Lerner is a fantastic owner who will lead Villa to success. He thinks that Villa are superior to Rovers, and who can blame him? Bentley thinks that Spurs are superior, and Hughes thinks that City are superior. If they thought otherwise, they would have stayed at the club.

We are going nowhere under Williams, and we need to make a change.

shall we move the club to milton keynes? someone ban this wind up merchant

He clearly has a lot of negative viewpoints - but he's entirely welcome to express them. I don't agree with everything he says - certainly not the stuff about JW anyway, but you can't ban him for that. Unless we're closing ranks too......

Ban him why exactly? Because you don't agree with him? Might as well ban everyone!

I agree, he doesn't need banning, he needs a full frontal labotomy!!

Either your a Burnley fan, a rich mans son or on the bloody dole because you haven't a clue about finance.

Give Hughes 20 mil & if it goes wrong dont give him any money for 3 seasons!!

First you have to borrow the 20 mil (from a bank, not your dad or the dole office), & funily enough they want it back even if you haven't pipped Liverpool for the Champions league place. Then asuming we didin't get that Champions League place with our borrowed 20 mil. Then we've no dosh to spend for another 2 years.!!

In fact you MUST be a Burnley fan because as Stan Ternant said "You've got champagne taste of beer money!!"

He clearly has a lot of negative viewpoints - but he's entirely welcome to express them. I don't agree with everything he says - certainly not the stuff about JW anyway, but you can't ban him for that. Unless we're closing ranks too......

He doesn't have a lot of negative viewpoints, he has only negative viewpoints. I have only ever seen one kind of poster that has joined a site and immediately started posted negative views on every thread all based around the same premise, that we are an unambitious, negative club being led into oblivion by lucifer and his assistant. That kind of poster is a wind up merchant, simple as that. Whether I agree with them is irrelevant. If someone had joined the site and immediately began posting on every thread that Ince was Jesus, JW his Dad and the club was the centre of the universe i'd think he was on a wind up.

Nobody is asking the many other people who are being negative to be banned and that is becase people can at least see where they are coming from, even if they disagree with them.

shall we move the club to milton keynes? someone ban this wind up merchant

Why? Because I'm not prepared to accept what is currently happening at the club? Nice one, Stalin. You just continue blowing smoke up Williams' backside and everything will be fine.

I agree, he doesn't need banning, he needs a full frontal labotomy!!

Either your a Burnley fan, a rich mans son or on the bloody dole because you haven't a clue about finance.

Give Hughes 20 mil & if it goes wrong dont give him any money for 3 seasons!!

First you have to borrow the 20 mil (from a bank, not your dad or the dole office), & funily enough they want it back even if you haven't pipped Liverpool for the Champions league place. Then asuming we didin't get that Champions League place with our borrowed 20 mil. Then we've no dosh to spend for another 2 years.!!

In fact you MUST be a Burnley fan because as Stan Ternant said "You've got champagne taste of beer money!!"

So the alternative is to accept that we are a no-mark club with a drab future? Oh dear, no wonder Hughes, Friedel and Bentley left. No ambition, just a crumbling little club in the back-streets of East Lancs. Woohoo! <_<

Lets have a 'Frisky thread' where he can post to himself!

No need, Professor Paranoid.

Why? Because I'm not prepared to accept what is currently happening at the club? Nice one, Stalin. You just continue blowing smoke up Williams' backside and everything will be fine.

What are you doing to signal your "non acceptance" of what is happening?

How many season ticket(s) have you sold so far at t'Turf Jungle Jim?

###### like this is so (Please don't use that word again)ing boring.

So the guy has a negative view of the club, so that makes him a dingle? Such a complete waste of time post.

Frisky Jim - or should I say superfred - you do get around the Rovers message boards don't you :D

I agree totally - the best thing the club needs at the moment is stability - so lets get rid of a man that has purchased all the squad - probably knows many of them. A man who has been loyal to Rovers for a number of years now - and has been involved in some of Rovers better purchases over recent years.

Frisky Jim - if you aren't from Burnley - you definitely show tendancies. BTW how do you eat your bananas ? :P

I concur T4E.

I put it right up there with the anti Ince brigade posting of a select few.

It takes all sorts of opinions to make a discussion board. We'd all do well to remember that, rather than calling for bannings or worse yet calling each other the D word.

But, as you say, money wasn't the primary reason Friedel left, as he wanted European football. Villa can provide that. A smart move from Brad in my book.

No. I said money was the primary reason if you read back to my initial post. I did say that "I had hoped that you would have seen some sense as to admit that money was at least a significant, if not the primary, motivator."

The fact is Brad saw the chance of one last pay day and took it. You can blame Williams and Ince all you want but as Brad himself says, all professional players would have done the same as him.

Professional - participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor

Just been talking to a mate that is a Bolton fan, He told me that there's a guy from there forum that's started comming on here to wind us up.

Bolton?

I suppose it would be better than talking about that team.

I can see why he would do it. I totally sympathise with him now, we should all welcome him.

Give him warm soup and such.

Besides his totally irrational hatred for Williams he is interesting.

Friedel will be missed by the way, just to stay on topic.

So the alternative is to accept that we are a no-mark club with a drab future? Oh dear, no wonder Hughes, Friedel and Bentley left. No ambition, just a crumbling little club in the back-streets of East Lancs. Woohoo!

No the alternative is to live by your means & enjoy watching premiership football at a discounted rate for as long as it lasts, and if in that time we win the odd cup or get in a semi final or twothen make sure your there because believe me when & if we do go down we may not bounce back as quick. This may sound gloomy & unambitious but its realism.

There are 20 premier league clubs which on the whole are bigger than us with more fans paying more for their tickets.

We don't have Jack anymore & are not big enough to be bought by a billionaire, we have to do everything to stay in the league & anything else is a bonus.

As you quite rightly said Hughes, Brad & Bentley have gone on to clubs that they think will do better because they have more money but as last year shows that doesn't always work out as only Villa finished above us & ironically Brad had a little to do with that with the gaff at Birmingham on the last day.

Time to get realistic Jim.

Archived