BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Friedel Deal For Love, Not Money

I have read the above comments and dont think they are warranted ...do you?

Of course not.

However, he didn't say that. If you read all of Dirks post, you'll see he's just glorified it in a bitchy way.

In reality, he didn't say anything like that at all.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What reason have you got to believe that Ince is the reason Brad left?

Logic. Friedel was totally happy at Rovers when Hughes was here. He signed a new deal, and the title of this thread tells you all you need to know about his feelings at the time.

When Ince arrived, Brad felt the need to come out and say something positive. It is my belief that this was in the hope that it would rebuild whatever bridge had previously been burnt between the two.

Clubs do not come in for players unless they know they are available. Certainly not for players that would be easily contactable, anyway. It's the same situation as Warnock - Newcastle aren't just randomly throwing bids in for him. They will have received some encouragement - either from the player or the club. In Warnock's situation, it's likely the player. In Brad's, I can't believe it was his wish to leave.

Now, once Villa knew Ince would sell, they came up with a deal that sweetened things for Brad. I don't doubt that at all. At that point Brad knew we were looking for keepers, and had no choice but to go. But the timing is way too perfect to be a coincidence. Villa could have come in for Brad last season when they loaned Carson. Or the season before. So could any club. He's been one of the league's best for many years. Yet we've never sold, because he was never available. And Brad was always happy with that. Do you not think there was a huge pay rise on the table when United came in for him a few years ago? Of course there was.

Whichever way you look at it, Ince was the catalyst for Brad leaving.

Logic. Friedel was totally happy at Rovers when Hughes was here. He signed a new deal, and the title of this thread tells you all you need to know about his feelings at the time.

When Ince arrived, Brad felt the need to come out and say something positive. It is my belief that this was in the hope that it would rebuild whatever bridge had previously been burnt between the two.

Clubs do not come in for players unless they know they are available. Certainly not for players that would be easily contactable, anyway. It's the same situation as Warnock - Newcastle aren't just randomly throwing bids in for him. They will have received some encouragement - either from the player or the club. In Warnock's situation, it's likely the player. In Brad's, I can't believe it was his wish to leave.

Now, once Villa knew Ince would sell, they came up with a deal that sweetened things for Brad. I don't doubt that at all. At that point Brad knew we were looking for keepers, and had no choice but to go. But the timing is way too perfect to be a coincidence. Villa could have come in for Brad last season when they loaned Carson. Or the season before. So could any club. He's been one of the league's best for many years. Yet we've never sold, because he was never available. And Brad was always happy with that. Do you not think there was a huge pay rise on the table when United came in for him a few years ago? Of course there was.

Think you are on the money here T4E! The change from Hughes to Ince is a really big one in the wrong direction, and I think the players feel the same. I will not be the slightest surprised if more players where to leave, including Santa Cruz and Warnock...

Doubling a wage is one hell of a sweetner for someone who was wanting to go.

Also re the timing, did Villa expect 12 months ago to lose two top keepers in Sorenson and Carson? No, of course they didn't. They simply weren't in the market for a then-36 year old keeper. When you're desperate to get experience and quality you look round and see where there is something to be had. O'Neill clearly thinks - quite rightly - Brad's a top keeper and more affordable than other options.

The fact the club is owned by an American won't exactly have hindered the negotiations.

And these stories of United coming in previously. I really am struggling to think of any concrete stories other than the usual media crap where virtually all our team gets linked with someone else. Could you please direct me to any official statement by Rovers or United that says a bid was received and rejected.

There is no logic here. This is pure speculation.

Also re the timing, did Villa expect 12 months ago to lose two top keepers in Sorenson and Carson? No, of course they didn't. They simply weren't in the market for a then-36 year old keeper. When you're desperate to get experience and quality you look round and see where there is something to be had. O'Neill clearly thinks - quite rightly - Brad's a top keeper and more affordable than other options.

The fact the club is owned by an American won't exactly have hindered the negotiations.

And these stories of United coming in previously. I really am struggling to think of any concrete stories other than the usual media crap where virtually all our team gets linked with someone else. Could you please direct me to any official statement by Rovers or United that says a bid was received and rejected.

We were expecting to lose Sorensen, Sorensen basically moaned to the press about Carson coming in & MON told him that he hadn't been a good keeper for 5 years. Carson was just a loan & after a while it was clear he wouldn't stay, he was awful.

Very happy with Friedel though.

Ed, Villa were in the market for a keeper before they got Carson, which was why they took him on loan. At that point, they could easily have asked about Brad. Maybe they did. Either way, they got nowhere.

As regards an official statement from United or Rovers - that would totally undermine my point. There would not have been such a thing, as United would not have got past the first hurdle in their pursuit of Brad. None of the parties were interested. If they were, Rovers would likely have taken the step of trying to publicly put it to bed. They didn't need to, because Brad didn't make a fuss.

Do you honestly believe that no bigger clubs have ever come in for Brad in his entire time at Rovers before now? It would be naive to think so.

We were expecting to lose Sorensen, Sorensen basically moaned to the press about Carson coming in & MON told him that he hadn't been a good keeper for 5 years. Carson was just a loan & after a while it was clear he wouldn't stay, he was awful.

Exactly. You didn't look at Brad last year because you didn't need him. You had Sorensen before his strop and Carson before he turned out to be crap.

T4E seems to think that because Villa didn't look at Brad last year suggests *logically* that it's down to Ince that you did now. Not your own clubs changing situation.

There is no logic here. This is pure speculation.

That hardly dignifies a response, but I'll indulge you.

Logic by definition is reasoning or arguementation of a point. Of course, within that, will be some speculation. Care to attempt a slightly more in depth critique of what I've said, perhaps even addressing one or two of the points raised?

Exactly. You didn't look at Brad last year because you didn't need him. You had Sorensen before his strop and Carson before he turned out to be crap.

T4E seems to think that because Villa didn't look at Brad last year suggests *logically* that it's down to Ince that you did now. Not your own clubs changing situation.

You're completely ignoring what I said.

Do you believe that it is coincidence that only now Brad has had his head turned? Do you believe that no club has ever been in for him before now?

That hardly dignifies a response, but I'll indulge you.

Logic by definition is reasoning or arguementation of a point. Of course, within that, will be some speculation. Care to attempt a slightly more in depth critique of what I've said, perhaps even addressing one or two of the points raised?

You are determined to blame Friedel leaving on Ince and that is a logical conclusion of your post.

"It is my belief that this was in the hope that it would rebuild whatever bridge had previously been burnt between the two." - Where is the evidence for this statement? What bridge had been burnt between these two? What happened, where and when? Evidence please.

"Clubs do not come in for players unless they know they are available." - This is a false statement. There are many players who are bid for and the club that the player is at state categorically that the player is not for sale.

"In Brad's, I can't believe it was his wish to leave." - What evidence do you have that Brad didn't want to leave? He stated categorically that he DID want to leave. He has not said once that Ince is the reason for this and this has never been implied anywhere else but on this board.

"Now, once Villa knew Ince would sell, they came up with a deal that sweetened things for Brad." - So the end result of your 'logic' stated here is based on the above which isn't exactly concrete evidence.

"At that point Brad knew we were looking for keepers, and had no choice but to go." - Where is the evidence for this statement? The club has stated that there was never any budget to replace a keeper and it came as a 'bolt out of the blue'.

"But the timing is way too perfect to be a coincidence. Villa could have come in for Brad last season when they loaned Carson. Or the season before. So could any club. He's been one of the league's best for many years. Yet we've never sold, because he was never available. And Brad was always happy with that. Do you not think there was a huge pay rise on the table when United came in for him a few years ago? Of course there was." - I leave this to other people. They have contradicted all you have said here.

"Whichever way you look at it, Ince was the catalyst for Brad leaving." - There is no evidence of this anywhere apart from peoples opinions stated on this board. We DO NOT KNOW why Brad chose to leave and anything we say is speculation. There is no logic in what you have said and it is pure speculation.

You're completely ignoring what I said.

Do you believe that it is coincidence that only now Brad has had his head turned? Do you believe that no club has ever been in for him before now?

You're starting to remind me of Buzz Lightyear refusing to admit he's a toy.

We simply do not know what turned Brad's head. To keep stating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it the truth.

"It is my belief that this was in the hope that it would rebuild whatever bridge had previously been burnt between the two." - Where is the evidence for this statement? What bridge had been burnt between these two? What happened, where and when? Evidence please.

"It is my belief". Do you understand how a belief system works? If I had firm evidence it wouldn't be a belief, it would be knowledge or fact.

"Clubs do not come in for players unless they know they are available." - This is a false statement. There are many players who are bid for and the club that the player is at state categorically that the player is not for sale.

In which case the player or his agent will have been contacted direct by the buying club. As mentioned in my first post.

"But the timing is way too perfect to be a coincidence. Villa could have come in for Brad last season when they loaned Carson. Or the season before. So could any club. He's been one of the league's best for many years. Yet we've never sold, because he was never available. And Brad was always happy with that. Do you not think there was a huge pay rise on the table when United came in for him a few years ago? Of course there was." - I leave this to other people. They have contradicted all you have said here.

How? How has anyone contradicted this? Just one quote will be fine - if you can find one. Don't forget - evidence please.

You're starting to remind me of Buzz Lightyear refusing to admit he's a toy.

We simply do not know what turned Brad's head. To keep stating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it the truth.

To continually ignore my question doesn't convince me otherwise.

You're becoming the Michael Howard to my Paxman.

I'm glad he's gone some way to address the bad impression his Sky interview gave.

As for Tugay "Paxman" England, I've never seen so much egg on one face before!!!!

“It had absolutely nothing to do with Paul Ince coming in as the manager– I want to make that crystal clear.

“There was no animosity or frustration on my part when the new manager got appointed, and I’ve not fallen out with Paul, John Williams, or anyone else at the club for that matter.

“The bottom line is this just felt right, and I would have made the same decision whether Mark Hughes was still the manager at Rovers or not

:lol::lol::lol:

""It is my belief". Do you understand how a belief system works? If I had firm evidence it wouldn't be a belief, it would be knowledge or fact." - An attempt to belittle me? I know how a belief system works, it is usually based around some event or teaching. Your 'belief' is based on what? The fact you believe something happened when there is no evidence whatsoever of that is somewhat bizarre. If you are comparing your belief to say Christianity, which is what you are implying by using the term 'belief system', then you are misguided. At least Christianity is based around some historical events and not some ficticious made-up event.

"In which case the player or his agent will have been contacted direct by the buying club. As mentioned in my first post." - This doesn't make your statement any more valid. Using Warnock as an example doesn't work either. Warnock hasn't said he wants to leave and we have no real idea why or even whether Newcastle have bid for him more than once apart from newspaper reports. In my personal experience, newspapers write whatever they like whether it's true or not.

"How? How has anyone contradicted this? Just one quote will be fine - if you can find one. Don't forget - evidence please." -

"QUOTE (FeedTheHare @ Jul 31 2008, 09:36 ) *

T4E seems to think that because Villa didn't look at Brad last year suggests *logically* that it's down to Ince that you did now. Not your own clubs changing situation. "

There you go. Interpretation is a wonderful thing.

In the end it is your OPINION that Brad left because of Ince and your opinon based on your own speculation. No facts and no evidence.

I've just read Friedels statement to the press and there is evidence from the player himself for why he left. No speculation there.

When you say previously , depends how long we are looking back as more than likely there will have been further queries.

However, as posted on here a few years back (4/5 years ) , I attended a 'Night with Brad Friedal' arranged by the S.Lancs BRFC suporters and confirm that an official enquiry was made from Arsenal the previous season (must have been prior to the arrival of Lehman ) - this was straight from his own mouth and he said it was Souness who put a figure on his head but nothing was ever heard back from the Gunners. I also mentioned that (if we ever went down) I got the feeling he would be on his way.

In the end it is your OPINION that Brad left because of Ince and your opinon based on your own speculation. No facts and no evidence.

Absolutely right it is. I'm glad you finally got there. I'm not claiming it as unequivocal fact - purely that I believe it is the case - followed by several points that lead me to believe I may be right. Points that still remain unanswered.

Archived