BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] £115,000 A Week 'not Enough'

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question has to be posed, how accurate are those numbers?

Taking them at face value 13 of the world's top 20 are in the EPL but if you read down the Potuguese article, only 6 of the next 30 are. Given the EPL total wage bill is more than double the next highest league's wage bill, I find that surprising.

To make the top 50, £3m a year or £60k a week is the cut-off point. I rather suspect that Spurs, Man U, Chelsea, Newcastle, Pompey, Man City and West Ham all have players who should have been on that list and been missed.

You can see why it was every players "boyhood dream" to play in the Premiership...

I cannot believe that Darren Bent is on that kind of money. That he's on more money than the likes of Berbatov and Keane I find quite staggering.

Those figures have to be inaccurate. Whilst a few clubs were interested in him I cannot see how he could demand that sort of money to sign for Spurs. Maybe they are talking about single year earnings, so it includes the signing on fee? As the fee was so astronomical (16m?) even if he jot a 10% slice it would make a big difference to his overall earnings.

yeah its just what the club is paying the player right? so it doesnt include sponserhip or anything like that, otherwise beckham woul be there sky high infront.

I can believe that bent is on that because spurs threw that much for the transfer so why not give him huge wages? also yeah berbatov and keano should be on more(alot more!)and i imagine they will be pretty soon when its renew contract time or whatever.. :lol:

Both the Sol Campbell and Darren Bent wages are consistent with what was widely reported at the time of their moves.

Campbell moved on a Bosman and Spurs were just being Spurs.

I don't remeber anyone saying that Bent was going to be paid 80k a week or anywhere near it.

I am sure that Berbatov, Keane and Woodgate will all get paid more than Bent.

I don't remeber anyone saying that Bent was going to be paid 80k a week or anywhere near it.

I am sure that Berbatov, Keane and Woodgate will all get paid more than Bent.

The £16.5m asking price was met by three clubs- West Ham, Fulham and Spuds. Bent went for the highest wage after which West Ham revealed they had offered £75K a week which is what they are paying Bellamy and getting massive returns from. Mind you Spuds are in super Grabbi and extraterrestrial Davies territory in terms of the returns they are getting from Bent!

Spurs used to have a £50k a week wages ceiling which is why Campbell Bosmanned them and collects a cool £100K at Pompey (he pockets the transfer fee in effect). But that ceiling was completely broken this summer. Woodgate was on £70K at Real Madrid, was on £70K at Boro and is on £70K at Spuds.

One reason Berb is so interested in the Mancs is he has noticed what Bent gets.

Another "generational" problem is at West Ham. Bellamy £75K a week whilst another perennial sick note, Ashton arrived too soon and signed an improved contract too soon and has two and a half years of £20K a week to look forwards to. And of course Mr Iceland mark 2 pays the wages and was mighty cheesed off with the way Mr Iceland mark 1 spent mark 2's bank's money when he was in charge- hence no Wham pay rises, Lucas supposed deal disdhonoured and a big fat 0 spent by Curbishley in the January window.

The link below claims that West Ham were willing to pay around £80,000 a week for Bent.

Hammers make Bent 80 grand a week offer

If Spurs decided to match that wage offer from West Ham and pay him around £80,000 a week then it's an indication that wages for players have gone completely crazy.

Also, some people might be interested to read the piece below about Lucas Neill's £70,000 a week wages at West Ham. (£3.64m a year.) The article claims that Neill's staggering deal will lead to dressing-room resentment at Upton Park.

Link: £70,000 a week for Mr Average

• 3 weeks later...

Arrogant John Terry parks his Bentley in a disabled bay

A £60 fine is nothing to John Terry is it? He doesn't care because he's earning over a 100 grand a week. It just typifies the selfish behaviour from some rich players who think they can do what they like because they are loaded.

Once again it raises question marks about the character of our England captain. In 2001, John Terry (along with his then Chelsea team-mates Eidur Gudjohnsen, Jody Morris and Frank Lampard) were fined by Chelsea for going on a five-hour drinking binge which saw them stripping off, swearing and vomiting, in a hotel where American tourists were staying the day after the September 11th attacks.

Chelsea's then managing director Colin Hutchinson said at the time: "The players were totally out of order and a bad example to all the youngsters for whom they are role models. We decided to inflict the maximum punishment."

(Link to that quote from Hutchinson HERE)

Last October, in between two vital Euro 2008 qualification matches for England - when John Terry was unavailable for selection with an apparent knee injury - he allegedly got so drunk at a Soho nightclub that he urinated on the floor and in a glass. Terry was also apparently bouncing up and down with dancers, despite his knee injury.

Meanwhile, it's been reported that Frank Lampard wants a £30m four-year contract to stay at Chelsea, which works out at £144,000 a week. The shameless greed and arrogance from some players knows no bounds.

Link: "Terry urinated on nightclub floor"

Not really necessary. If more folks felt like AESF maybe the country wouldn't be in such a state.

No doubt my post will be looked on by some as anti-racist in some way.

However, I believe that all citizens of our great country should show respect and responsibility to themselves and others.

Not really necessary. If more folks felt like AESF maybe the country wouldn't be in such a state.

However, I believe that all citizens of our great country should show respect and responsibility to themselves and others.

If you had read my previous contributions to the thread you will see my comment was made in complete jest.

This country isn't in 'such a state', it's mainly the people who read the gutter press each day who think this. Sure we've got problems but show me a country our size without them.

This is not the thread to discuss it, tgm, but I can assure you I can provide you with plenty of personal evidence from my own experience and those I know that the country is actually 'in a state'. At least for those who despite working all their lives are not well off financially.

edit - incidentally I never read the 'gutter' press - and I consider myself a fairly well educated woman who is capable of forming her own opinions

It's horrible here now! Tinted specs or not but I can rem as far back as the early/mid 60's when a murder in any part of the country was a rarity and front page news in the nationals for the best part of a week. Now there are murders in and around Blackburn on a weekly basis and sometimes don't even make the front page of the LT. A slow downward slide of indiscipline at home, school and the workplace and the even criminal justice system being the main cause imo. Shooters and knives have become a fashion accessory in the inner city's, taking drugs hard and soft is no longer an offence worth prosecuting, and every violent and evil fecker out there needs sympathy and gets a reduced sentence because his uncle / teacher / priest / father bummed him a few times when he was 10!

Our society is becoming increasingly rotten.

It's horrible here now! Tinted specs or not but I can rem as far back as the early/mid 60's when a murder in any part of the country was a rarity and front page news in the nationals for the best part of a week. Now there are murders in and around Blackburn on a weekly basis and sometimes don't even make the front page of the LT. A slow downward slide of indiscipline at home, school and the workplace and the even criminal justice system being the main cause imo. Shooters and knives have become a fashion accessory in the inner city's, taking drugs hard and soft is no longer an offence worth prosecuting, and every violent and evil fecker out there needs sympathy and gets a reduced sentence because his uncle / teacher / priest / father bummed him a few times when he was 10!

Our society is becoming increasingly rotten.

And yet I have a great job and have never been the victim of any serious crime (and I live in Leeds)

Yet when I hear the TV news, I half expect to meet a gang of marauding youths wanting to kill me. Yet it never happens (touch wood :) )

There is not more crime now, it's only now we have 24 hour news. Looking for a story in everything.

I just looked on BBC news under Lancashire (quite a big area). These were the headlines:

Cash boost for neonatal services

Ferries on schedule despite winds

Easter disruption hits passengers

Czech link confirmed in M6 crash

Chemical thrown at victim's face

Homeless services get cash boost

That's one violent headline. Where somebody threw poppers at man. Hardly downtown LA is it?

Get real, life is good. We pay too much in taxes, and the trains are always late. Apart from that things are pretty good.....

Archived