BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] £115,000 A Week 'not Enough'

Lampard???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!111

Oh for crying out loud, what's the point.

That was my reaction as well!!! I started to write what you did and then thought "what's the point"

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was my reaction as well!!! I started to write what you did and then thought "what's the point"

Have you all not been watching the premiership and champions league over the past few years? No doubt you will respond by simply looking at his performances for England, which I suppose is fair, but on that basis you could argue that there are no very good English players around at the moment.

You've suddenly gone from world class to "very good".

Lampard's OK, but he shouldn't even be playing for England, he's over-rated.

The uses of the words were in many ways unrelated. I do think both of those two players are world class and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a manager at any club in the world that wouldn't want them.

We're starting to stray from the point here.

How can someone that plays football and cannot do ANYTHING else be paid £115k a week? What would they even do with that extra £6k a week?

It's the equivalent of me kicking up a fuss and making an arse of myself because my employer won't pay me an extra £30 a week.

Although it would come in handy :P

That isn't quite true. Both Terry and Lampard were established players before Mourinho arrived, it isn't their fault that they have stayed at Chelsea and haven't had the chance to prove themeslves elswhere (at least since Lampard joined from West Ham). On the basis of this season they are most certainly the two of the four most important players to Chelsea (the other two being Cech and Drogba), whereas the team would have probably achieved just as much without either Ballack or Shevchenko (one might even argue that had Terry been fit all season then Chelsea would have avoided their mid-season lapse and might well have won the title).

They were established players in a side that struggled to reach the top 6, not until Abramovich and Mourinho arrived have those players hit the 'highs' they have.

They have plenty of chances to prove their ability on the world stage and continually have failed, where as Ballack and Shevchenko are proven performers over an extended period of time. Even taking country competitions, their domestic and European records speak for themselves. Don't forget Chelski didn't sign Sheva and Ballack to win the league, they obviously thought the current crop of superstars weren't up to the job.

Now in saying that, one would even argue without the 'real' world class defensive cover of Makelele and now Essien both players wouldn't look as good as they do.

I have no doubt that if Terry was fit that Chelsea would have one the title, but I would argue that the extended layoff for Carvalho and filling that defensive hole with the likes of the inept Ferriera, Morais, Cole and Geremi hardly helped the cause. Personally I would have our bench of defensive substitutes over that four.

I don't think Terry has ever failed England. Lampard has, but then so has the entire England midfield for the last few years really. As for struggling to get into the top 6, that may have been true before Ambramovich arrived to an extent, although they did finish in the top 4 the year before he came in and got to the Champions League semi-final the season before Mourinho came in; to go back any further would be to judge a central defender and a central midfielder on their performances when they were still very young and really learning their trade.

I don't disagree with you on Carvalho, he's also a world class defender (although I feel Terry is better), but Lampard is also top quality, his performances show that. All I can say is that if either of these two were playing for us then no one on here would be questioning whether or not they were some of the very best around.

I have no doubt that if Terry was fit that Chelsea would have one the title, but I would argue that the extended layoff for Carvalho and filling that defensive hole with the likes of the inept Ferriera, Morais, Cole and Geremi hardly helped the cause. Personally I would have our bench of defensive substitutes over that four.

Cech is much more important to their defence than Terry. The man is immense and his absence cost them the title this year.

What is probably so annoying to many is that they have been offered £115k p/w, and kick up a stink over £10k p/w or whatever it is. Most of us here would be euphoric if we were offered £10k p/w at our current jobs, let alone the amount John and Francesca have been offered. Ship them off to fight in Iraq or Afghanistan instead of Prince Harry.

There is a lot of Chelsea spin on this story.

The truth is that Peter Kenyon asked JT what he wanted. JT said that he considered he was playing better and was a far better investment than the likes of Shevchenko and Ballack, despite the fact that they were getting paid over twice as much as he was. He said that he wanted to play for Chelsea for the rest of his career. Kenyon OFFERED to match their salaries and to offer JT a 10 year deal with a 2 year coaching period at the end.

As is usual with Kenyon, his mouth writes cheques that he cannot cash, and when he went to get the deal approved by Abramovich, the offer became 6 years, no coaching and only a 25% pay rise. Needless to say, Kenyon was asked to depart the meeting with a due haste.

To be clear, JT was not chasing a pay rise, he was offered one by Kenyon to keep him happy and to prevent any rumblings occurring. Kenyon then renagued on the offer.

JT will now simply play out his contract at Chelsea and see what happens.

There is a lot of Chelsea spin on this story.

The truth is that Peter Kenyon asked JT what he wanted. JT said that he considered he was playing better and was a far better investment than the likes of Shevchenko and Ballack, despite the fact that they were getting paid over twice as much as he was. He said that he wanted to play for Chelsea for the rest of his career. Kenyon OFFERED to match their salaries and to offer JT a 10 year deal with a 2 year coaching period at the end.

As is usual with Kenyon, his mouth writes cheques that he cannot cash, and when he went to get the deal approved by Abramovich, the offer became 6 years, no coaching and only a 25% pay rise. Needless to say, Kenyon was asked to depart the meeting with a due haste.

It was my understanding that the biggest contract a player can be offered is 6 years, but i might be mistaken.

While I a disagree with Eddie's vastly over-inflated opinion of the two players, there is no doubt that they are crucial to Chelsea's system and team. Terry in particular is far and away their best defender and a rock at the heart of the club. He rarely makes mistakes and if you're going to pay anyone the ludicrous money that is being touted on here why wouldn't you pay it to your team captain and talisman.

Lampard gets a lot of stick for being good. Sure he rarely turns it on for England, but he performs very well on a consistent basis and is Chelsea's main source of goals after Drogba.

In our current world of greedy players such as Frank Lampard complaining that 115 grand a week isn't enough for him - just £6m a year, how is the poor little darling supposed to survive ? - it was refreshing to read an interview in today's Mail with Jimmy Armfield, a Lancastrian gentleman who is a throwback to an altogether different, more civilised and less selfish era.

Gentleman Jimmy stayed loyal to Blackpool, making 568 appearances for the Bloomfield Road club. He didn't throw any hissy fits about wanting to be paid more. He didn't insist on clauses in his contract or demand extra money for commercial deals and fashion shoots. He had a totally different lifestyle to the likes of Rio Ferdinand and David Beckham, with their flashy cars, braided hair, mega-bling jewellery and multi-million pound contracts.

I wonder what Jimmy made of the story of Kieron Dyer who apparently after travelling some distance on the Newcastle team coach asked Bobby Robson if he could return to the dressing room where he had just played because he'd left his large diamond ear-ring in the dressing room.

A link to today's interview with Jimmy Armfield, in which he also speaks about the time he managed to secure a rare interview with Jack Walker at his home in Jersey, is below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1779

As has already been mentioned, he had no choice but to play for his club and for the money they offered, unless he wanted to go work in another occupation.

But hey, even when a player doesn't throw hissy fits about money, doesn't ask for a transfer and is completely honest with his employers as to his intentions, he gets villified (see Neill, Lucas).

Indeed the professional players make a whole lot of money these days. But when you are among the stars of the most popular sport in the world I guess you "deserve" it. Comparing the wages of the footballers to your own is just plain silly in my opinion...

There are quite a few on here who can easily remember when we earned more than any professional footballer.

A link to today's interview with Jimmy Armfield, in which he also speaks about the time he managed to secure a rare interview with Jack Walker at his home in Jersey, is below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1779

Nice article - hope Jim makes a full recovery - and a good photo of him with the Kop behind. Some good memories of standing on there when it was great to follow your team to grounds, and ends, like that. :brfc:

As has already been mentioned, he had no choice but to play for his club and for the money they offered, unless he wanted to go work in another occupation.

But hey, even when a player doesn't throw hissy fits about money, doesn't ask for a transfer and is completely honest with his employers as to his intentions, he gets villified (see Neill, Lucas).

That was because we don't generally expect players to move purely for money.

That was because we don't generally expect players to move purely for money.

:lol:

Eddie are you for real? Apart from the selling clubs actually needing to raise funds, moving for more money must be 90% of the reason for players leaving clubs. Wanting Champions league football' must be 90% lie imo.

Eddie are you for real? Apart from the selling clubs actually needing to raise funds, moving for more money must be 90% of the reason for players leaving clubs. Wanting Champions league football' must be 90% lie imo.

I think thats a bit harsh, Bellamy for exampl turned own more money at Rovers for a shot at CL football. Money is a huge part of it, but fame and respect come into it too.

Its all sort of abitrary though as the clubs that can ofer the most money to players also tend to be the ons in the CL.

As a side note- to back up you point drog, I suppose you could say that if th CL is so great, why don't more English players move to clubs abroad who are in the CL? And why do players abroad who play for CL clubs (eg. SParta Pragu etc.) move to mif table Prem teams who do not offer CL football?

Agreed. I think it may be a combination of both, money and champions league. IMHO another reason to bring a format of only the League Champions being eligible for CL, players certainly wouldn't leave for CL football as much then.

I think thats a bit harsh, Bellamy for exampl turned own more money at Rovers for a shot at CL football. Money is a huge part of it, but fame and respect come into it too.

Its all sort of abitrary though as the clubs that can ofer the most money to players also tend to be the ons in the CL.

As a side note- to back up you point drog, I suppose you could say that if th CL is so great, why don't more English players move to clubs abroad who are in the CL? And why do players abroad who play for CL clubs (eg. SParta Pragu etc.) move to mif table Prem teams who do not offer CL football?

You just disagreed wth Drog then made his point for him, money.

I think thats a bit harsh, Bellamy for exampl turned own more money at Rovers for a shot at CL football.

Allegedly. Personally I dont believe a word of it. There will simply be a different remuneration structure at Lpool.

Archived