BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Injury Crisis

When you've got Shorey, Neville, Lescott and Barry all in the squad does he really need to call anyone up at all?

If Young doesn't get on the bench then what's the point in calling him up.

As for Shorey, I'm not sure but I'm presuming that he's an out and out left back who's not that versatile in other positions. Therefore he's only in the squad in case Cole get's injured which is whats happened. If he doesn't get picked on Wednesday then obviously McLaren has no confidence in the lad. In that case why take him?

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you've got Shorey, Neville, Lescott and Barry all in the squad does he really need to call anyone up at all?

As for Shorey, I'm not sure but I'm presuming that he's an out and out left back who's not that versatile in other positions. Therefore he's only in the squad in case Cole get's injured which is whats happened. If he doesn't get picked on Wednesday then obviously McLaren has no confidence in the lad. In that case why take him?

I've never liked Neville (P) turning out for England. Shorey has to be first choice from the squad he's picked. If Cole's injury is a long-term one then Warnock has to be in the frame for at least a place in future squads.

Barry's a solid choice but were I the manager I'd be loath to lose him from midfield.

Lescott's a fantastic player, despite the poor preformance yesterday. That's something I'd put down to nerves and being out of position (ok it's said he can play at LB but I don't think he's played anywhere other than centre-half for ages).

So lots of options, we just have to hope the manager doesn't make a complete pig's ear of it on Wednesday.

Because this is the clueless McClaren we're talking about.

He will

Give him some slack- he has won three games in a row three nil, brought in a player to cover Lampard midfield in Barry which absolutely no one would have suggested (including Phillpl and Thenodrog) who has been a revelation, stuck with Owen who many wanted left out who hansomely repaid him with goals, picked Heskey which had the nation near tears but defies sour expectations by producing an excellent performance.

By all means put the boot in when he loses games but at the moment he has made big choices which have been very successful. I was dubious about some of his selections in the past but you have to take your hat off at the moment, he is doing a lot right.

Lescott's a fantastic player, despite the poor preformance yesterday. That's something I'd put down to nerves and being out of position (ok it's said he can play at LB but I don't think he's played anywhere other than centre-half for ages).

I didn't think he looked comfortable at centre back,but it is the first time I remember seeing him play.

Give him some slack- he has won three games in a row three nil, brought in a player to cover Lampard midfield in Barry which absolutely no one would have suggested (including Phillpl and Thenodrog) who has been a revelation, stuck with Owen who many wanted left out who hansomely repaid him with goals, picked Heskey which had the nation near tears but defies sour expectations by producing an excellent performance.

By all means put the boot in when he loses games but at the moment he has made big choices which have been very successful. I was dubious about some of his selections in the past but you have to take your hat off at the moment, he is doing a lot right.

I am not McLarens biggest fan at all, but agree with these above comments, he has come up with the goods recently when we have all doubted him.

I am not McLarens biggest fan at all, but agree with these above comments, he has come up with the goods recently when we have all doubted him.

Sorry, but that's just arrant nonsense.

No-one for a second believes that had fat Frank not been injured would he have brought in Gareth Barry, or had Shrek not been injured would he have brought in Heskey. All Saturday proved was that Shrek and Owen can't play together, and Owen's the better player so he should be catered for (Crouch on this occasion, Heskey when he's fit). Even England fans can see that- the boos for fat Frank aren't for him per se- they're for him being brought on to trip Gerrard up and throw strops becuse Gerrard is (just, according to his performances at the moment) the better player.

Rules which McMoron will NEVER understand-

Lampard and Gerrard can NEVER (repeat ad nauseam) funtion well playing together;

Shrek and Owen can NEVER (repeat ad nauseam) funtion well playing together.

PS I'm a Scotland fan, so McMoron can carry on with the selections above forever for me.

Sorry, but that's just arrant nonsense.

No-one for a second believes that had fat Frank not been injured would he have brought in Gareth Barry, or had Shrek not been injured would he have brought in Heskey. All Saturday proved was that Shrek and Owen can't play together, and Owen's the better player so he should be catered for (Crouch on this occasion, Heskey when he's fit). Even England fans can see that- the boos for fat Frank aren't for him per se- they're for him being brought on to trip Gerrard up and throw strops becuse Gerrard is (just, according to his performances at the moment) the better player.

Rules which McMoron will NEVER understand-

Lampard and Gerrard can NEVER (repeat ad nauseam) funtion well playing together;

Shrek and Owen can NEVER (repeat ad nauseam) funtion well playing together.

PS I'm a Scotland fan, so McMoron can carry on with the selections above forever for me.

Well Jan, though it makes me sad to say it (I'm an England fan) ....you are right in the above analysis.

Oh and by the way I am very fond of Scotland too! Didn't they do well. McFadden's goal was a cracker!

Not sure about so soon before the Russian game but if I were McClaren I'd be inclined to end the Lampard / Gerrad debate by dropping both of the overrated media darlings. We are doing better without Lampard anyway (entirely as predicted by yours truly btw) and Gerrard is certainly no Zidane either.

Congratulations. And to think the rest of the country has been completely convinced that Gerrard and Lampard is the most effective partnership in central midfield. What once appeared to be an outrageous prediction has turned into yet another success for yourself. How on earth do you do it?

Thought the same myself.

Didn't see any of the game, $25 on PPV for a sure fire win against a nothing opposition wasn't worth it. Although the crowd booing Lampard is stupid and frustrating, I think people have cottoned on to the fact that he and Gerrard can't play together so they voice an opinion; albeit a comedy pantomime one.

I think we'll be OK in Russia, we'll get at least the draw we need. We are a better side than them and are playing well right now. More advice for our esteemed manager; don't play Phil Neville, put Shorey at left back as that's where he plays every week.

Well Jan, though it makes me sad to say it (I'm an England fan) ....you are right in the above analysis.

Oh and by the way I am very fond of Scotland too! Didn't they do well. McFadden's goal was a cracker!

Ever so scared now. We're doing too well- something's bound to go wrong!!

I'd play either P. Neville or G. Barry at left back. Probably P.Nev because i'd keep Barry in the middle.

What have Shorey and Young done to deserve being in the squad ahead of Warnock? (I'm not saying that Warnock should be in but its strange that on current form he's not been considered...)

We've got one Rovers player in there, although you wouldn't know it as he's lucky to get a place on the bench despite being in form for Rovers. it would be entirely too much to expect that McClaren would select a second one. Heck it might look like we had a good team if that happened, what with Matty scoring for the under 21s too.

so a left back drops out, and you call up a right back-doesnt make sense...baines or warnock should of atleast been called up..

So he has called up a right back to replace a left back :huh:

Instead of just thinking "McClaren's made that decision so it must be wrong", apply a bit of thought to it.

It looks like Neville is being considered to replace Cole, and we also have Shorey and Lescott who can play left back...so why call up another one? If Neville is moved to the left side then that leaves us very short of right back cover, which I guess was Neville's primary position in the squad until Cole's injury.

He's come up with the goods because of the injuries he had little alternative. If he puts Lampard in to start it's a poor do's on Barry. Lampard shoul dhave to earn his spot back.

Instead of just thinking "McClaren's made that decision so it must be wrong", apply a bit of thought to it.

It looks like Neville is being considered to replace Cole, and we also have Shorey and Lescott who can play left back...so why call up another one? If Neville is moved to the left side then that leaves us very short of right back cover, which I guess was Neville's primary position in the squad until Cole's injury.

The very thought of "Neville is being considered to replace Cole" goes to show that "McClaren's made that decision so it must be wrong" when we have Lescott and Shorey in the squad.

First Half England played some of their sweetest football for a while, granted against demoralised limited opposition.

Second half, it all fell apart with Lescott, Neville P and Lampard all absolutely rubbish substitutes.

I think Russia could well burst the bubble in Moscow.

The second half was a typical half played when the game was already won . Plus we have a game a few days later - it's common sense they're not going to play at the same tempo .

As for the subs , Lampard was booed by his own fans - not exactly great for his confidence ; Lescott was making his England debut , not surprising he was a bit nervous ; even Neville could hardly be described as "absolute rubbish" by any objective observer .

McClaren , it seems , could well be in the mould of Sven . Good enough to get us through but probably not good enough to get us to the very top . I'll be surprised if we don't get something from the Russian trip .

Archived