BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Injury Crisis

HESKEY

What on earth is going on? He was classed as a ‘donkey’ last time he played for England

Now he is a ‘savior’ and being classed as the English ‘Drogba’??

HESKEY

A lump who may fall over in a light breeze.

p.s. look up HESKEY in the urban dictonary, summs HESKEY up properly

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
like Pennant couldnt cross

Sometimes I really wonder if you watch football at all, Flopsy. You should really stick to cricket if after all this time you don't think Pennant can cross "to save his life". Pennant is easily one of the best crossers of the ball in the country, English or otherwise. Although, perhaps it isn't a surprising statement from somebody who thought Owen Hargreaves and Roque Santa Cruz were rubbish.

Sometimes I really wonder if you watch football at all, Flopsy. You should really stick to cricket if after all this time you don't think Pennant can cross "to save his life". Pennant is easily one of the best crossers of the ball in the country, English or otherwise. Although, perhaps it isn't a surprising statement from somebody who thought Owen Hargreaves and Roque Santa Cruz were rubbish.

I disagree there. Pennant puts in some good balls, but they are few and far between.

SWP is also an excellent crosser of a ball. He barely needs any space to whip them in (just like with his ability to shoot from long range). I don't get where you're coming from there, Flopsy.

just been watching him play, runs well, had no end product against Villa, and the few other times I've seen him play.

As for Pennant, did you not watch the Champions League final? Was fantastic up until he tried to put that final ball in, then was as useless as Zenden.

Still, Im also biased that I think Bentley's the better bet.

SWP is also an excellent crosser of a ball. He barely needs any space to whip them in (just like with his ability to shoot from long range). I don't get where you're coming from there, Flopsy.

:wstu:

Absolute rubbish....I've lost count of the number of ex-pro pundits who slate SWP for his poor crossing.....he's like Lennon in that respect. I've seen him hit the first man hundereds of times.....Whereas Pennant knows how to stand a cross up...

Sometimes I really wonder if you watch football at all, Flopsy. You should really stick to cricket if after all this time you don't think Pennant can cross "to save his life". Pennant is easily one of the best crossers of the ball in the country, English or otherwise.

:blink::blink::blink:

Your having a laugh. I've said for about 3 years now that Pennant would be a superb player if he could put a decent cross in now and again. He can't. He just lobs them high with no pace on. It's become a standing joke with my mates that everytime we watch a Liverpool game and he plays I say "bad cross" (or something like that!) just before he crosses and 19 times out of 20 it is.

Disagree with Sparky Mark. The one thing that impresses me with Aaron Lennon is that as well as being lightening quick I think he actually can cross a ball.

Is that the extent of your knowledge about Pennant? A Champions League final?

I think there is a misconception about him that because he is an inconsistant player he must be an inconsistant crosser of the ball. As I've said before, he is one of the best at crossing in the Premier League. Unfortunately for him, his decision making when running at players, when to pass etc mean that he has not progressed the way a lot of people thought he would.

Bentley is most probably a better crosser, but that's not what you said at all. You seem to have a lazy perception of players that comes from red-tops and casual fans. It explains why you thought Owen Hargreaves was useless when in fact he is one of the better holding midfielders around, simply because you watched the odd England match when Sven brought him on on the wing or somewhere equally ridiculous after 80 minutes.

Well I watch quite a lot of football and see Pennant a lot and still think he is a poor crosser of the ball and I know I'm certainly not alone in that respect. SWP is a slightly worse at it (but only just), but makes up for it by being the better all-round player.

OK I've thought of a decent comparison to make. Pennant to Pedersen. Nobody would say that Pedersen throws quality into the box every time, but he does come up with a few pearlers. It means that he can cross, but obviously, as with every player, still has room for improvement. You would never say that Pedersen couldn't cross the ball to save his life.

If it's from a corner I would :lol:

Too true by half! The corner Santa hit the post from was a good one, and the one where Samba headed just over in the second half was a peach. I wish he'd do that a lot more than he does. He can clearly cross, but just seems to waste his opportunity far too much.

It explains why you thought Owen Hargreaves was useless when in fact he is one of the better holding midfielders around, simply because you watched the odd England match when Sven brought him on on the wing or somewhere equally ridiculous after 80 minutes.

Too be fair, he was rubbish on the left wing, the right wing or at Right back. And if you have his address I'll send him an appology, because Im happy to admit I was wrong and was pleasently surprised to be proved so. Heskey on the other hand.....

As for Pennant, he was pretty rubbish at Birmingham and he's been pretty poor at Liverpool. the only reason he's even been talked about for England is because he's at the Scousers and failed at Arsenal.

I've not followed his career to carefully, but from when I have seen him his crossing's been atrocious.

OK I've thought of a decent comparison to make. Pennant to Pedersen. Nobody would say that Pedersen throws quality into the box every time, but he does come up with a few pearlers. It means that he can cross, but obviously, as with every player, still has room for improvement. You would never say that Pedersen couldn't cross the ball to save his life.

Yes, but I would also say that Pedersen is a better crosser of the ball than Pennant.

I think he's an enigma. He's clearly a supremely talented player who can do absolutely everything, but his head doesn't seem to be right. I think quite a few people on here wanted him when Brum went down, but Liverpool paid a very high price for him so we couldn't really compete. I think we will turn out to be better off by having Bentley anyway.

What he did to (an admittedly poor) Derby on Saturday was frightening. He beat players with pace and trickery, and put some real quality crosses into the box. If he fulfilled his potential he would probably be the best direct right winger we have. Liverpool fans seem fairly confident that he has started this season well. However, I would say that it's a long shot that he ever becomes as good as he should be.

Getting back to the weekend's Football.

Is it wrong that England have a vital Euro qualifier, which is on the beeb, but I'm more interested in the Cricket (where England might actually win a one day series) or the Rugby (where England might win a game away from Twickers) than I am in whether 15th Choice Steve will grow some balls and play his best team instead of the best reputations.

I used to watch under Sven and didnt mind the way we played (although I did mind he kept bottling the big decisions) but when it came down to it, we were a solid side that won the majority of games, qualified for tournaments and reached the quarter finals of said tournaments.

Now, we're insipid, incompetant, stale, toothless, dodgy at the back and led by a man who is out of his depth, out of ideas and so wedded to what the media and the big managers say that he doesnt appear to have had any original thoughts since he took over.

I need something to make me want to believe in the national team again, but I really dont think 15th Choice can deliver that

Is it wrong that England have a vital Euro qualifier, which is on the beeb, but I'm more interested in the Cricket (where England might actually win a one day series) or the Rugby (where England might win a game away from Twickers) than I am in whether

Very wrong. You'd rather watch egg chasing than the possibility of Bentley playing for England. :blink:

Very wrong. You'd rather watch egg chasing than the possibility of Bentley playing for England. :blink:

thats the issue isnt it, the possibility of him playing.

Of course I'll end up watching it but I have the horrible feeling that McLaren will go safety first and therefore we'll lose or at least scrape through

Archived