BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage - The Bad Apple

Roost

Frankly I've found Jewell's actions at Derby to be bizarre. I thought he was a good manager but every word that has come out of his mouth has been negative. He's done nothing at all to improve matters and he's failed to even tackle something as fundamental as stopping them leaking goals or making them more difficult to beat.

He had Roy Carroll, Andy Todd, Alan Stubbs, Danny Mills, Pearson, Laurent Robert, Ghaly, Savage, Eddie Lewis, Giles Barnes, Earnshaw, Kenny Miller at his disposal.

There's a lot of experienced players there and certainly enough to win some games. On paper I think they're actually a better team than Birmingham.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was speculation that Sunderland were interested in buying Savage in January, but Robbie chose Derby. If he had known what an absolute shambles it would be at Pride Park, with the club completely humiliated, would Savage have gone there? I suspect not.

I remember at that time thinking what a poor decision in footballing terms it was as even then they were already as good as down. However it seems they offered him a longer contract than Sunderland according to reports at the time and he might well have been thinking this was going to be his last big payday. Considering the way he has performed since leaving Rovers...I would say he was right on that score. Hasn´t been a shadow of his old self these past few months. One injury too far it seems...

many questioned the selling of robbie savage-i personally think it was a great decision..hughes knew what he was doing-and to get 1.5million for him was a good deal for us..

Savage may be slightly over the hill now (not as much so as has been suggested on here and in the media) but I still think he'd have been an asset to us in the second half of the season. Our midfield has been virtually non-existant since his departure.

When Derby got rid of Billy Davies (by "mutual consent" but that means they didn´t want him there) didn´t they have seven points and were not that far adrift at the bottom? That was November IIRC.

In over half a season Paul Jewell managed to accumulate a further four points. That is pathetic and on that basis he should be sacked. If they had kept Davies they would still have gone down but they I bet they would have made a better fight of it.

Jewell is surviving on his reputation from Bradford and Wigan...ignoring the Sheff Wed debacle. Yet he needs to deliver soon at Derby.

Frankly I've found Jewell's actions at Derby to be bizarre. I thought he was a good manager but every word that has come out of his mouth has been negative. He's done nothing at all to improve matters and he's failed to even tackle something as fundamental as stopping them leaking goals or making them more difficult to beat.

He had Roy Carroll, Andy Todd, Alan Stubbs, Danny Mills, Pearson, Laurent Robert, Ghaly, Savage, Eddie Lewis, Giles Barnes, Earnshaw, Kenny Miller at his disposal.

There's a lot of experienced players there and certainly enough to win some games. On paper I think they're actually a better team than Birmingham.

The Derby team are not so bad as to not win a game at all for six months. Jewell´s continuous criticism of his players cannot have helped the cause one bit. It all seemed a way to deflect all this away from him...as if this season was nothing to do with him really...judge him on next season.

Yet that next season was to start when...eight months after his appointment? He wants people to start judging him then?!?

Eight months into his appointment at Ewood Mark Hughes had turned us from relegation favourites into a totally different side which found safety with plenty of games to spare. In the January window he brought in Nelsen on a free and Savage.

I tell you what...as for Jewell...damn tough as it would have been for anyone at Derby....he´s no Sparky though is he?

Part of me thinks that Robbie was actually quite calcualted about chosing Derby. Don't you think he knew that they were going down and felt that he would have a better chance in the championship?

That would require Savage to have a realistic appreciation of his own self-worth. Which I can't believe, myself. More like, he turned down Sunderland because he didn't see Keano putting up with his club jester routine.

That would require Savage to have a realistic appreciation of his own self-worth. Which I can't believe, myself. More like, he turned down Sunderland because he didn't see Keano putting up with his club jester routine.

Have you ever met Sav?

If the players deserve to go after their performance then so does Jewel.As one contributor said, he goes on as if the onfield performances are all nothing to do with him. I think he has used up any credit that he had accrued previously and his repution is now neutral to negative

• 2 months later...

Paul Jewell unhappy with Savage's attitude

I think it's fair to say that Robbie Savage's move to Derby has been a complete disaster, with Derby failing to gain a single win since he joined the club last January, taking part in the worst ever top flight team in British football history. Derby were a disgrace and a shocking embarrassment last season.

As Robbie Savage now prepares for life in the Championship, he's being slagged off by his manager Paul Jewell.

But I suppose Robbie will continue to drive his flash expensive car around the streets of Derby and happily pick up his vast wages each week. Some of the Derby fans must frankly be disgusted with him and with some of the other players who disgraced themselves at the inappropriately named Pride Park last season. The trouble was that there was no pride at all from players like Savage last season.

I would have been ashamed to have been a Derby fan last season when the players on the pitch went through the motions and looked as if they couldn't give a monkeys.

He is the player that everyone loves to hate and we are the club that everyone loves to hate (Wenger in particular) - Sav being with us may have been a match made in heaven! ^_^

Did he get a decent reception when we played Derby last season?

He is the player that everyone loves to hate and we are the club that everyone loves to hate (Wenger in particular) - Sav being with us may have been a match made in heaven! ^_^

He was mock booed when taking a corner infront of the Blackburn End.

Myself and a fair few people around me sang Super Robbie Savage at a few points throughout the match. Then he threw in some pretty horrific tackles and it was back to the pantomime 'hatred' ;)

I would have been ashamed to have been a Derby fan last season when the players on the pitch went through the motions and looked as if they couldn't give a monkeys.

And somehow, with most of that appalling side still at pride park they have managed to shift 22,000+ season tickets in the Championship!

Myself and a fair few people around me sang Super Robbie Savage at a few points throughout the match. Then he threw in some pretty horrific tackles and it was back to the pantomime 'hatred' ;)

:)

His wikipedia entry refers to him as being the pantomime villain of the Premiership, which I think is brilliant.

My guess is that he thrives on that kind of image.

I think Savage's biggest problem was he couldn't think and kick a ball at the same time.

He enjoyed playing up to his stereotype as the player all fans love to hate, but once he's in your side, fans love his effort.

Nice to see he went to the Macc friendly to catch up with his old mates. I think for all his on-pitch antics, he must be a decent sort of guy to have around in the dressing room. Bit of a joker, wears his heart on his sleeve, always spends time to have the craic with fans etc.

Paul Jewell unhappy with Savage's attitude

I think it's fair to say that Robbie Savage's move to Derby has been a complete disaster,

I dunno he picked up a spankers swish white Merc coupe to add to his stable of lovely, if somewhat cheesy cars. Not sure I'd want diamonds on a Range Rover, but hey, if you've got it, flaunt it hey?

Think he knew he was on the slippery slope, and a previous poster made a sound point that it could have been a long game to drop down a division.

Once he'd lost his legs, that's his game over & done. Not the same having an 'all action midfielder' that's ponderous about going in for tackles. Personally I think it was yet another sound move by Hughes, to recoup some money, as he was no longer first choice and I guess he'd be a mare to have in the dressing room with his crying.

dug this out from youtube

I love Sav, but this is funny

Good link - look at the darts one where they're taunting him, he's got something on the placard for Dave Fevre our physio. He doesn't half get some stick, but he brings a lot of it on himself; clearly he thrives on it!

Archived