BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage - The Bad Apple

Roost

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess, for what its worth, is that Savage and Roberts just didn't like not starting. Not that suprising really as both have been first XI players for most of their careers. Sitting on the bench wasn't the plan. Savage got screwed by the leg injury and the basic reason that Hughes will have felt he could get a player who could give more for c. 1.5m.

Roberts got screwed by us signing a phenomenal player in Cruz and Hughes' faith in McCarthy. Hughes knows that he can raise minimum 3 million from the sale of the striker so is not too fussed about him going. Hughes thinks, rightly or wrongly, that for 3m pound he can get a better player.

No fall out. Its a simple gamble on letting players leave and replacing them with more quality.

So I guess if we come out of Janaury with Sidwell or Diarra and Cisse (for example) things will look dandy. If we come out with no replacements, poor replacements (De Pedro-a-likes to use a historical example...) it could be bad news.

But the good thing is that Hughes has shown excellent judgment in all his purchases. When he has gambled and lost it has been for small sums (Rigters, Mokoena, Berner). And there have, of course, been massive wins.

Replacement at the Rovers by Saturday?

Sad to see Robbie go and I wish him all the best Derby. Time will tell if it's a good move I do believe that Hughes must have another midfielder coming in otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to the deal surely.

Agreed, Thanks Sav. best moments for me include:

Being in the away end @ Big club singing "Did you cry when Savage scored" for what seemed like ages, after celebrating for what seemed as long

Watching him warm up against the dingles @ their end (x2) & France @ The Millenium

The "I'm not bitter" TV interview he gave after we beat big club @ Ewood where he said something along the lines of "If I went to a smaller club how come I'll be playing UEFA Cup Football next season and they'll be in The Championship"

Watching him give 100% in almost 100% of every game

He'll get a good reception from me when we play Derby @ Ewood...

Good luck Sav. :rover:

Agreed, Thanks Sav. best moments for me include:

Being in the away end @ Big club singing "Did you cry when Savage scored" for what seemed like ages, after celebrating for what seemed as long

Watching him warm up against the dingles @ their end (x2) & France @ The Millenium

The "I'm not bitter" TV interview he gave after we beat big club @ Ewood where he said something along the lines of "If I went to a smaller club how come I'll be playing UEFA Cup Football next season and they'll be in The Championship"

Watching him give 100% in almost 100% of every game

He'll get a good reception from me when we play Derby @ Ewood...

Good luck Sav. :rover:

I'm sure he will.

I can just see it now...

Rovers 0-1 Derby

---------- Savage (pen) 90

1. why is wham a bigger club ?

2. the average crowd is 32000.

3. they are no favourites to finish higher than Rovers.

4. best city in the world ? Please forgive me but its the dirtiest,smelliest and most cramped shitehole I have ever set foot in and its full of rime, immigrans and workshy locals.

1. I guess it's all down to the definition of a 'big club' I'm not trying to be antagonsitic - I just think that a team that has loads more fans, a bigger stadium, and a billionaiire owner constitute being a bigger club.

2. Agree that they are not favuorites to finish higher, but It wouldn't surprise me given their resources for buying players.

3. full of crime, immigrants and workshy locals!! you could be talking about both blackburn or london there!

Fabulous piece of business for a 33 year old.

totally agree.

lookign forward to seeing who hughes pulls out of the bag for us....

His transfer record with the resources he's been given has been nothing short of sensational!

Keep the faith people!

Seems pretty obvious to me, that Savage thought he should be starting ahead of Mokoena.

Totally agree. The diplomatic rhetoric from Savage about wanting guarenteed first team football is about as convincing as a David Bentley dive. Not even the best Premier League players demand such a guarentee. They all have to work for their place in the team.

It is obvious that Savage was aghast that Hughes was picking Mokoena ahead of him and probably challenged the decision with Hughes, who probably told him in no uncertain terms that he picks the team and believes that Mokoena is a better option in certain games and will continue to pick him if and when those times came around. Savage thought this was unfair and not based on merit so decided it was time to get out.

Whatever the machinations, it is a fantastic deal for Rovers. Must go alongside getting money for Dwight Yorke and compensation for Souness (although not quite in that elite category).

I feel a little sorry for Derby fans - we sell them Jay McEveley, Andy Todd's not been a success and now the getting-on Sav... IS that half way to revenge for Christian Dailly?

Is it ?

Savage is a leader on the pitch and Rovers don't have many of those.

Can't help but think that the squad is significantly weaker without him.

Well some of the people that are linked with us match him for skill if not drive, so hopefully we will be fine if Mark Hughes can oull of another coup.

I also echo the view that there should be nothing but clapping when he returns.

Whatever the machinations, it is a fantastic deal for Rovers. Must go alongside getting money for Dwight Yorke and compensation for Souness (although not quite in that elite category).

We can add getting £2.5m for Kuqi to that list. We can moan about bad luck all we want, but somebody up there loves us.

Eh? I liked Dailly. Thought he was a cultured player who, like several others, got caught up in a team which was in turmoil.

On Savage, glad he's gone as he's not a footballer. Think Vinny Jones without the 'ardness or the skill.

It was embarrassing watching him run around Ewood Park like a spaniel on heat. Clueless.

We're well shut of him.

My best Savage moment shall allways be from the game against Arsenal in Feb 2005, when we won 1-0 (Pederson scored I think).

Anyhow Savage did a header along the floor back to Brad Freidel which was excellent and also Jens Lehman chucked a water bottle over him.

Archived