BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Anyone ever go to the Plaza in Upperbrook Street Manchester.?.Its gone now and is sadly missed

Good lord, you go back a long way. It was the original "get rat-asred" and them go for hottest curry you could (not) eat.

I remember going there about 30 years ago after several pints and tucking into a curry that involved (on reflection) nothing but halepeno chillis and sod all else bar some filler grunge that didn't really matter as you couldn't taste it anyway.

Still, we were drunk and full of machismo and there was this bloke who owned the place called Charlie (if memory served me correct) who had hit a niche market in serving us and making money out of it. I think the place got closed down eventually due to rat and cockroach infestations. Probably further proof that when the human race finally becomes extinct the rats & cockroaches will take over.

If they could live off the dietrius of that place they could survive anything.

It used to serve a "Suicide" which just about sums up the place. It was cheap though.

Good lord, you go back a long way. It was the original "get rat-asred" and them go for hottest curry you could (not) eat.

I remember going there about 30 years ago after several pints and tucking into a curry that involved (on reflection) nothing but halepeno chillis

Sounds ace ;)

Anyone finding themselves in Skipton and needing lunch or afternoon tea I can thoroughly recommend The Wild Oat cafe. Top of the main street just near the roundabout opposite the church with the large clocktower (on left preseumes you have the church in front of you). It's 100% vegetarian, organic, non-alcoholic - all of which we only realised after we'd sat down and started drinking the delicious tea. Highly recommended really, really good food. Waitress was a bit dopey but there you go!

Is it Halal ?

The Plaza was a good place to take someone back to who remembered it from their student days...had just chicken or Veg..No fancy names like Kormas Rogan Josh etc..Just Mild which meant hot.. Hot which was very hot.."Killer" and " Suicide".Think there was one called Kamakazee which was free if you ate it all.. Nothing to drink but water in a pint glass.Think Charlie was once from Africa and maybe one of the Indians Idi Amins expelled.

I used to be a regular in Francos in Ossy.

Decent prices. Food was good last time I went a week or 2 ago.

We had to wait over an hour for a table, though, which wasn't ideal.

You know Horwich, I think, Hughesy. Have you tried Leos?

I used to be a regular in Francos in Ossy.

Decent prices. Food was good last time I went a week or 2 ago.

We had to wait over an hour for a table, though, which wasn't ideal.

You know Horwich, I think, Hughesy. Have you tried Leos?

Yeah I know Horwich, however iv heard alot of mixed reports about Leos & that its expensive for the quality...so never tested it myself. El Torro is nice in Horwich if you havent tried it.

Francos used to have a good name - anyone else know if its still good? Might try that one!

• Backroom

It's still got the same name Hughesy, still called Franco's.

A few years ago the best in my opinion was Quattro's at Samlesbury, I havn't been since it changed it's name to Nuraghes or whatever it is now.

We are going to Mangiamo's at Darwen with some friends on Tuesday night and tonight the wife went to Parmesan and Pepper at Abbey Village as they do a sort of Italian Tapas menu, £15 each as much as you can eat on a Thursday or a 3 course meal for a tenner on Friday nights with a fair selection as well (if you wanted it I'll type it out as it isn't on line).

Edit: Bugger it I'll type it up anyway in case anyone else fancies trying it, I'm going to at some stage;

Stuffed Garlic Mushrooms topped with cheese

Soup of the Day

Garlic bread choose either plain, cheese or tomato

Cheesy potato skins

homemade chicken liver pate with galic toast

black pudding on mash with creamy peppercorn sauce

--------------------------

Mexican chicken - chicken breast in a spicy tomato sauce with onions, chilli and garlic

Fillet of Salmon coated in a light creamy pink prawn sauce

Any pizza or pasta

Swordfish Steak in a garlic butter sauce

Chicken Pepe - chicken breast in a creamy peppercorn sauce

---------------

Chefs selection of todays puddings

Edited by TCO
  • Like 1

A few years ago the best in my opinion was Quattro's at Samlesbury, I havn't been since it changed it's name to Nuraghes or whatever it is now.

We are going to Mangiamo's at Darwen with some friends on Tuesday night and tonight the wife went to Parmesan and Pepper at Abbey Village as they do a sort of Italian Tapas menu, £15 each as much as you can eat on a Thursday or a 3 course meal for a tenner on Friday nights with a fair selection as well (if you wanted it I'll type it out as it isn't on line).

Edit: Bugger it I'll type it up anyway in case anyone else fancies trying it, I'm going to at some stage;

Stuffed Garlic Mushrooms topped with cheese

Soup of the Day

Garlic bread choose either plain, cheese or tomato

Cheesy potato skins

homemade chicken liver pate with galic toast

black pudding on mash with creamy peppercorn sauce

--------------------------

Mexican chicken - chicken breast in a spicy tomato sauce with onions, chilli and garlic

Fillet of Salmon coated in a light creamy pink prawn sauce

Any pizza or pasta

Swordfish Steak in a garlic butter sauce

Chicken Pepe - chicken breast in a creamy peppercorn sauce

---------------

Chefs selection of todays puddings

I have been tempted so many times to try this again as it was good the last time i went. However, they really should have a website in this day and age.

Do you have any idea as to what sort of dishes are on the tapas menu?

That is a decent list of dishes for £10.

On another note...not tried it. But the Butlers at Pleasington (think they now have a proper chef too) is offering 2 steaks, homemade chips, peppercorn sauce, onion rings and vegetables with a bottle of wine for £20 (for two people)

Edited by vintageadidas

On another note...not tried it. But the Butlers at Pleasington (think they now have a proper chef too) is offering 2 steaks, homemade chips, peppercorn sauce, onion rings and vegetables with a bottle of wine for £20 (for two people)

Beware it's TUESDAY NIGHTS ONLY!!

I tried it a fortnight ago VA. Very good steak (sirloin) it was too although I paid a little more for a different wine to accompany it. (as a result I cannot comment one way or the other on the wine chosen in the deal) I had no pudding and certainly didn't need a cheese butt to fill up when I got home thats for sure!

Also cheap as chips and equally filling and availablke every night at the Butlers is the Hot Pot for £3.99 / Hot Pot with any pint for £5.99. Hardly worth eating at home these days is it? And especially not for singles.

We are going to Mangiamo's at Darwen with some friends on Tuesday night and tonight the wife went to Parmesan and Pepper at Abbey Village

Quattros was the best the last time I went - however like you said its changed name - so I havent been since or heard anything about the quality.

Mangiamo's is our normal place for an Italian as its not too far away & good quality.

Never tried Parmesan & Pepper either following lots of mixed reports.

Very Funny on the Francos! You know if its still any good or not?

Sorry I forgot to mention it was only available on a Tuesday. I went to the Butlers on Sunday and had a lovely homemade soup, the main was typical pub grub and decent but the desert ruined it by being a frozen mass produced messy slop. But for £13 per person I could not complain.

I must note that it is quite surprising how many restaurants which serve decent food round Blackburn, Chorley and Preston don’t have any web presence. I like to have a look at the menu and any special offers before a make a move on a new place sometimes.

On a different note, we go to Thyme at the Sir loin a lot as we live locally. It is very good food for the price on a Sunday! Certainly recommended.

Anyone know the name of the Chinese / Cantonese restaurant on Darwen Street that used to be the Welcome? It used to be really good and I fancy eating out at a Chinese restaurant this Sunday. We only have two or three left in Blackburn now which is a shame.

Hollytree – in my opinion the best I have had but very small.

Guide – Wasn’t that impressed

Welcome? – Always decent food

Blackburn Buffet City – Never been….should I try it at my own risk?

I fancy eating out at a Chinese restaurant this Sunday. We only have two or three left in Blackburn now which is a shame.

Ocean palace on Bolton Road at Bull Hill, Darwen was usually very good. Although I must confess I have not been for a couple of years or more.

Edited by thenodrog

• Backroom

Quattros was the best the last time I went - however like you said its changed name - so I havent been since or heard anything about the quality.

Mangiamo's is our normal place for an Italian as its not too far away & good quality.

Never tried Parmesan & Pepper either following lots of mixed reports.

Very Funny on the Francos! You know if its still any good or not?

last time I went a couple of monhs ago it was decent mate, a lot of people rave about the villa at clitheroe but I wasn't overly impressed

Ocean palace on Bolton Road at Bull Hill, Darwen was usually very good. Although I must confess I have not been for a couple of years or more.

Yeh i have been there a couple of times. Never really enjoyed my meal or the set out of the room to be honest. I was sat so close to the next table i could have been sat on the lap of the person on the next table.

The food was bland and over priced!

For me Hollytree is the best but fancied a pint as it is bring your own!

Anyone know the name of the Chinese / Cantonese restaurant on Darwen Street that used to be the Welcome? It used to be really good and I fancy eating out at a Chinese restaurant this Sunday. We only have two or three left in Blackburn now which is a shame.

Isn't it still the Welcome? I've heard good reviews but I've not been for years.

As for Blackburn Buffet City, it's not up there with the best but like everything in like you get what you pay for. I really enjoyed it but the surroundings are those of the old Borough pub with a splash of emulsion but there was a very good choice of food. If you do give it a try, go with an open mind...

For take away's, East Star in Oswaldtwistle is very good. Good value for money and good sized portions with plenty of good quality meat in the dishes.

• Backroom

I have been tempted so many times to try this again as it was good the last time i went. However, they really should have a website in this day and age.

Do you have any idea as to what sort of dishes are on the tapas menu?

That is a decent list of dishes for £10.

I have the flyer here so being the helpful sort of chap I am:

Stuffed garlic mushrooms

Garlic pizza tomato

spicy mussels mexicana

BBQ spare ribs

Cheesy potato skins

Homemade pate & toast

Spicy tomato pasta

spicy meat risotto

creamy garlic mussels

garlic pizza

creamy garlic potatoes

italian sausage, peppers and sweet chilli sauce

BBQ potatoes

marinated black olives

Red snapper on wilted spinach

tangy chciken wings

baked veg in a spicy tomato sauce

stuffed peppers

garlic pizza and mozzerella

garlic and rosemary chicken

meatballs in salsa

french fries

black pudding with dijon mayo

prawns in garic butter

onion rings

caeser salad

Tuscan bread

So its a bit of an odd bag of choices, the misses said the two of them got told to order 4 dishers between them at a time and they could get as much as wanted for thr £15.

The 3 course for £15 is apparently all day on sunday as well, I think I'll try that one Sunday.

I agree they should have a website its a poor do that.

Hughesy, any recommendations from the Mangiamos menu?

Stick to Mangiamos I think then.....never lets us down!

Does anybody know whether Monte Cristo is the same owner as Mangiamo's? I've been told this is the case and I'm going to try Monte Cristo (at Church next to Hyndburn Sports Centre) next Friday.

Edited by unluckymorton

Lower Buck at Waddington well worth a try - been there twice recently and both times excellent.

We had lunch at the Lower Buck yesterday and really enjoyed it.

Less "cheffy" food than the nearby Inn at Whitewell / Red Pump / Three Fishes and therefore appropriately cheaper, but no less well cooked. Varied and interesting options on the specials board and helpings are generous (I had a whole spring chicken flattened, skewered and chargrilled perfectly with spring onions - 11 quid or thereabouts).

5 real ales on offer (Bowland and Moorhouses), nice proper pub feel although it was quiet yesterday. Great chips and very well cooked vegetables. All their meat and vegetables are locally sourced (Longridge according to the GPG).

I wonder if there's another rural area in the entire country which offers such a wide choice of fantastic quality food pubs in such close proximity as this little corner of East Lancashire?

Edited by Tris

Went to three restaurants over the weekend;

Saffron (buffet style) in central Manchester was excellent, although very spicy. Excellent choice of food though. I'd had quite a few by this point mind, and things always taste better at that point.

Went to Great Kathmandu in West Didsbury and was quite disappointed to be honest given it's reputation, especially in comparison at Saffron the night before. Ordered the Makhan Aloo and it was distinctly lacking in any tomato flavour, and seemed a little salty.

Finished with Greens (again in Didsbury) last night and that was beautiful as usual, I had the black pudding and lentil casserole. I've yet to have vegetarian food that compares to anything in there, perhaps down to the way Simon Rimmer approaches vegetarian food.

Finished with Greens (again in Didsbury) last night and that was beautiful as usual, I had the black pudding and lentil casserole. I've yet to have vegetarian food that compares to anything in there, perhaps down to the way Simon Rimmer approaches vegetarian food.

Black pudding? Afraid I can't easily think of anything less veggie! What is it?

Black pudding? Afraid I can't easily think of anything less veggie! What is it?

Ah yeah, I didn't think of clearing that up!

http://www.blackpuddingsbury.co.uk/index.php?s=products (bottom right)

It's created by a Lancashire company famous for it's (real) black pudding.

It was nicer than almost every non-veggie black pudding I've had. After all, it's the combination of herbs and spices that make a really good black pudding. Not sure what gave it texture to be honest, but it was delicious.

Edited by LeChuck